DTWPurserBoy
Topic Author

Loads At PeoplExpress?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:37 pm

There has been nothing in the local papers about what kind of loads PEX has been carrying. I was curious if anyone had sampled their service yet or had knowledge of how they are doing?
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

L1011

RE: Loads At PeoplExpress?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 pm

I'll be flying with them on Monday and Wednesday from PHF to PBI. I'll report back after I return.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Boeing757/767

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:52 am

I was on a recent PHF-EWR return and both flights were about two-thirds full.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

SkyTeamTriStar

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:07 pm

I am flying them from PHF to BOS on one week. I'll let you know about my experiences….

ouboy79

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting Boeing757/767 (Reply 2):
I was on a recent PHF-EWR return and both flights were about two-thirds full.

I would think that would be pretty decent for a new start up. Granted the industry no longer operates by the "give it 18 months to develop" way of thinking anymore.

routeplanner

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:02 pm

A good friend of mine works in planning at the new Peoplexpress and she says most flights are running in about the 71% load factor right now.

F9Animal

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Quoting Routeplanner (Reply 5):

A good friend of mine works in planning at the new Peoplexpress and she says most flights are running in about the 71% load factor right now.

That number is not bad, considering it just getting in the air. Loads don't necessarily mean profits, but they seem to be doing good in terms of getting cheeks in the seats. I suspect management is pretty happy with those load factors.
I Am A Different Animal!!

xjramper

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 pm

You can have great load factors and still see the airline go belly up. I hope their overhead vs their profits are going to see them through a year.
Look ma' no hands!

routeplanner

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Quoting xjramper (Reply 7):
You can have great load factors and still see the airline go belly up. I hope their overhead vs their profits are going to see them through a year.

This is so true, but that being said, a load factor like 70% is not bad for a new entrant, and along with that, ancillary fees collected offset the "traditional" load factor model.

If this company structures their growth into a reasonable pattern, and is not 100% building their model around Newport News routes, I could see that they could become quite successful.

DTWPurserBoy
Topic Author

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Quoting Routeplanner (Reply 8):

If this company structures their growth into a reasonable pattern, and is not 100% building their model around Newport News routes, I could see that they could become quite successful.

To keep costs down they need to get their flying "in house" as quickly as possible rather than pay for wet leasing planes and crews.

I agree with the sentiment that they need to not concentrate solely on PHF but there is a lot of growth potential into the northeast--PVD, ALB, BUF and then some "sun" destinations. SVH might be interesting and, of course, eventually FMY. If they could get some cruise contracts then they might consider weekending into FLL or MIA.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

routeplanner

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 9):
To keep costs down they need to get their flying "in house" as quickly as possible rather than pay for wet leasing planes and crews.

I would agree with that. I strongly believe you will see Vison Airlines become Peoplexpress, and Vision will be their charter division.. This was the arrangement that was supposed to happen with Xtra and all fell apart. Vison has for years tried and tried to get a scheduled operation going to no avail. I think they are closer blood brothers than anyone realizes.

mariner

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:38 am

Quoting Routeplanner (Reply 8):
This is so true, but that being said, a load factor like 70% is not bad for a new entrant, and along with that, ancillary fees collected offset the "traditional" load factor model.

Just as a comparison:

Skybus Enjoying 85% Load Factors (by Itsnotfinals Jul 10 2007 in Civil Aviation)

mariner
aeternum nauta

727LOVER

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:50 am

SVH might be interesting and, of course, eventually FMY.

Where is SVH and FMY?

If FMY is Fort Myers, I read on here they were looking at PGD
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

routeplanner

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:56 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 11):
Just as a comparison:

To compare.....Population of Columbus 810,000 Population of Newport News/Norfolk combined 480,000

L1011

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:01 am

Just tried to check in online for my flight tomorrow morning, only to find out they don't offer online check-in. They said to check in at the ticket counter an hour before the flight.

Bob Bradley

mariner

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:30 am

Quoting Routeplanner (Reply 13):
To compare.....Population of Columbus 810,000 Population of Newport News/Norfolk combined 480,000

I don't understand your point. Breakeven load factor doesn't change because of the size of the originating city.

mariner
aeternum nauta

mtnwest1979

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:21 am

Well, don't forget to add Virginia Beach, the largest city in Virginia...... 2013 population est 448,479.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

ouboy79

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:39 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 15):
I don't understand your point. Breakeven load factor doesn't change because of the size of the originating city.

What was your point linking a thread about Skybus? The operations aren't exact identical. Break even LF doesn't change because of the size of city, but it does based on the cost of the operation.

bohica

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:48 am

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 16):

Well, don't forget to add Virginia Beach, the largest city in Virginia...... 2013 population est 448,479.

Also not too far away from PHF is Richmond, VA. 1.2 million people in the metro area.

mariner

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 17):
What was your point linking a thread about Skybus? The operations aren't exact identical. Break even LF doesn't change because of the size of city, but it does based on the cost of the operation.

Someone raised the issue of load factors and profit, and the two operations are not dissimilar. Both classify as ULCC, and many of the costs are not dissimilar - there are fixed costs that cannot be avoided, fuel, staff, maintenance, etc. I'm not including airport costs, because PEX may have a deal on them, but Skybus had some of those, too.

Don't like Skybus? Try Allegiant, which expects a minimum 80% load factor from the git go.

So I find the reported 71% somewhat worrying because this is the high travel season, except for Florida.

mariner
aeternum nauta

PITrules

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:34 am

What does city limit population have to do with anything?
FLYi

brilondon

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 20):
What does city limit population have to do with anything?

It is a determining factor in where you would want to fly. It is not the only one as some here would like you to believe or consider. There also has to be a willingness of people to fly to where you are flying. Such as if you were to fly from say Albany NY to Gary IN vs SMF to BLI or to a major population centre such as LAX. It is all in how the numbers are interpreted and throwing in all the other factors that determine success or failure.

As respect to the OP, I do think we are a little premature about where People Express is operational wise at this time. We need to see where they are going in terms of an organization and how they fare over a period of time and how much cash they are burning getting the airline up and running. That will be the test and that takes some time.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

PITrules

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 21):
It is a determining factor in where you would want to fly. It is not the only one as some here would like you to believe or consider. There also has to be a willingness of people to fly to where you are flying. Such as if you were to fly from say Albany NY to Gary IN vs SMF to BLI or to a major population centre such as LAX. It is all in how the numbers are interpreted and throwing in all the other factors that determine success or failure.

As respect to the OP, I do think we are a little premature about where People Express is operational wise at this time. We need to see where they are going in terms of an organization and how they fare over a period of time and how much cash they are burning getting the airline up and running. That will be the test and that takes some time.

My point is that city population means nothing; what matters is population of the catchment area. In most cases only a fraction of an airport's travelers originate from within the city boundary. Furthermore, when comparing actual city limit size, this will vary greatly between different cities.

For Example, Jacksonville has a city population of over 800,000 and a metro population of of 1.3 million.
Pittsburgh has a city population of 300,000 and a metro population of 2.4 million. The difference lies in the geographic size of the city limits.

City population (which was used in the post I responded to) is a useless metric for these types of discussions. MSA or CSA population is a much better indicator.

I agree with everything else you said.
FLYi

DTWPurserBoy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:41 pm

PHF is in a unique situation--situated midway between ORF and RIC. ORF is always the great unknown--especially in the summer. You have constant traffic on I-64 going to and from Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks. You have to go through the tunnel and the backups can go on for miles. RIC is the easier of the two to reach--about 50 miles.

If PEX can coach not only the folks on this side of the tunnel but funnel some price-sensitive traffic away from RIC they should do OK. AirTran had a very loyal following and the community was very disappointed when WN decided to pull them out.

So far they are holding their own.

I misused an airport code in a previous entry--I meant SAV. Sorry.

stlgph

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 22):
My point is that city population means nothing; what matters is population of the catchment area

What matters is having a market of people who want to fly somewhere and serving that market. Rapid City, South Dakota, immediate city population of roughly 68,000, has enough people who want to fly to Las Vegas and Allegiant's been offering two flights per week, sometimes more, since 2005.

The second catch after finding your customers is to make sure they're paying you enough to pay your bills.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

PITrules

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 24):
What matters is having a market of people who want to fly somewhere and serving that market. Rapid City, South Dakota, immediate city population of roughly 68,000

Again, not sure why one would limit market potential to immediate city population?
FLYi

727LOVER

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:15 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 23):
AirTran had a very loyal following and the community was very disappointed when WN decided to pull them out.

And what's really a shame about it is that WN, my understanding, has puled down ORF considerably.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

rising

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:59 pm

See the trip report recently posted by Carfield. People Express: EWR-PHF-PIT Inaugural Day June 30 (by Carfield Jul 1 2014 in Trip Reports)

Not really a stunning product offering.

What's worse, I feel sorry for these mid-size to small airports, like PHF, that get these "ULCCs" (ironic they are called that because they may have 'low fares,' but they are in reality many are very high cost operators) and am curious why any airport manager or Mayor would pursue them.

In some ways it reminds me of BWI. You have an airport between two huge booming metro areas, passenger rail access, light rail, and gleaming new international pier, but with virtually no international service, and the ones it does are mostly subsidized- Condor, BA, etc.. Having a ULCC or LCC as your hub airline has negative effects.

My hope is PHF will push for more Skyteam, Star, and Oneworld fights, and not token flights by this reincarnation.
If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true.

stlgph

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Quoting rising (Reply 27):
and am curious why any airport manager or Mayor would pursue them.

Because that's what you do in the public sector - you build and fund facilities and you look for vendors to come and use them.

With all the consolidations going on in the past couple of years - of course they're going to pursue a new entrant like PeoplExpress. There's not much to choose from.

GentFromAlaska

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 16):
Quoting bohica (Reply 18):
Also not too far away from PHF is Richmond, VA. 1.2 million people in the metro area.

There is also Chesapeake. I read a article last year which ranked Virginia Beach number 1 for family vacations.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm

What's worse, I feel sorry for these mid-size to small airports, like PHF, that get these "ULCCs" (ironic they are called that because they may have 'low fares,' but they are in reality many are very high cost operators) and am curious why any airport manager or Mayor would pursue them.

None of the ULCC's are high cost operators. Some of the airlines we call LCC's, do have costs similar to that of the network airlines... but are still maximizing efficiency one way or another. Some are evolving away from their efficiencies as they mature, but that's with any business. There are ways to mitigate it, but it happens.

Why would an airport manager go after a new airline? Why go after a new city pair? Why try to lower fares, and stimulate and grow your market, and grow your airport's use? Why bring more people through the door and more revenue to your facility? I'm with you, I can't figure it out either.

In some ways it reminds me of BWI. You have an airport between two huge booming metro areas, passenger rail access, light rail, and gleaming new international pier, but with virtually no international service, and the ones it does are mostly subsidized- Condor, BA, etc.. Having a ULCC or LCC as your hub airline has negative effects.

Is your argument that BWI would be better off, as an airport, if not for WN? WN doesn't have anything to do with what BA or LH do. If anything, having a large LCC operation encourages an airport to keep its operating costs attractive to airlines.

My hope is PHF will push for more Skyteam, Star, and Oneworld fights, and not token flights by this reincarnation.

They are; Along with every other commercial airport in the universe. If it were easy to get the network airlines to grow and add flights, you'd see mainline jets landing at places like PHF and CRW every hour on the hour. Airlines are very methodical in what they do and don't usually move fast. You take what you can get., and you work to support it, and you enjoy it. All victories count in todays industry.

ouboy79

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Quoting kcrwflyer (Reply 30):
They are; Along with every other commercial airport in the universe. If it were easy to get the network airlines to grow and add flights, you'd see mainline jets landing at places like PHF and CRW every hour on the hour. Airlines are very methodical in what they do and don't usually move fast. You take what you can get., and you work to support it, and you enjoy it. All victories count in todays industry.

Exactly. Everyone is trying to get anything they can at this point. Consolidation has destroyed customer options and competitiveness in this country that we are left with 3 big network airlines plus WN. Then a few LCC/ULCC carriers. We need to encourage and support these new start ups. Passenger numbers are only going up for everyone, so there won't be a shortage of flyers. It comes down to how much can airlines squeeze out of pax before growth stops.

N202PA

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:01 pm

It may just be my own impression rather than fact, but PeoplExpress and PHF both seem like the answer to a question no one really asked. PHF is an hour from Richmond and a 40-minute trip through the tunnel from Norfolk - not exactly right around the corner from either city. PeoplExpress is flying routes that aren't exactly high-demand (who needs to go from SE VA to Pittsburgh?) and their service/marketing is rather conventional/boring. On top of all that (and again, maybe it's just my impression), I don't see that fares in either Richmond or Norfolk are high in any way...so why would either city need a ULCC like PeoplExpress?

It honestly confuses me why PE would want to compete on price these days when there are already at least 3 such carriers (Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier) out there fighting for the cheap ticket market (plus a ton of fees that no one likes). If anything, I would think another carrier along the lines of jetBlue or Virgin America would have a better chance of long-term success.

stlgph

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Quoting N202PA (Reply 32):
I would think another carrier along the lines of jetBlue or Virgin America would have a better chance of long-term success.

Spirit and Allegiant are doing bonkers better financially than jetBlue or Virgin America. Frontier, I suspect, would also be reporting solid financial results when/if a day comes for an IPO.

rising

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Why bring more people through the door and more revenue to your facility?

Because it's not sustainable. More often than not, these new airlines fail.

Is your argument that BWI would be better off, as an airport, if not for WN?

My argument is that cities with airports that have strong network carrier routes, or a network carrier hub/focus city, are in a better position to offer more customer-friendly, business competitive destinations.

BWI is bringing in the confetti cannons and issuing press releases about the new "international service" there from WN- all leisure destinations, many of which were already served by Air Tran. Meanwhile, Dulles is looking to Asia and the Middle East, and Qatar Airways is now serving PHL. And that is because those airports have the network connectivity, Star and Oneworld, respectively. BWI cannot offer it with their current dominant carrier.

Hampton Roads has a large population and is a major defense industrial center. Seems more appropriate to look for a new route that will connect the area to a rapidly globalizing world, than be truly excited about a non-stop to West Palm on an old, dirty, 734.

[Edited 2014-07-21 14:39:24]
If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true.

KarlB737

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 pm

SVH might be interesting and, of course, eventually FMY.

I doubt FMY since that is a general aviation airport prior to RSW coming into operation.

AirNav: KFMY - Page Field Airport

"NO SKED COML PSGN OPNS."

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFMY

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Quoting rising (Reply 34):
Because it's not sustainable. More often than not, these new airlines fail.

You have to try. If an airline comes to your airport and wants to fly, and is legal and safe, you have to let them and support them. Statistics show it won't work out, but if it does you reap great rewards.

Quoting rising (Reply 34):
My argument is that cities with airports that have strong network carrier routes, or a network carrier hub/focus city, are in a better position to offer more customer-friendly, business competitive destinations.

BWI is bringing in the confetti cannons and issuing press releases about the new "international service" there from WN- all leisure destinations, many of which were already served by Air Tran. Meanwhile, Dulles is looking to Asia and the Middle East, and Qatar Airways is now serving PHL. And that is because those airports have the network connectivity, Star and Oneworld, respectively. BWI cannot offer it with their current dominant carrier.

Hampton Roads has a large population and is a major defense industrial center. Seems more appropriate to look for a new route that will connect the area to a rapidly globalizing world, than be truly excited about a non-stop to West Palm on an old, dirty, 734.

Your first comment is largely correct. Take a look at Jetblue though. They have numerous international interlines/codeshares/partnerships. I don't think anyone would say that JFK and BOS don't at least see a small benefit from that.

I get what you're saying about BWI vs IAD, but unless you undo history that's how its going to be. Actually, even if you did it over, BWI would still probably end up in the same position. BWI has spent many years as a network airline hub, but it ultimately fell out of the cards due to consolidation and Baltimore being a lower yielding market than Washington DC. Throughout history, those two airports have been two different animals.

Like I said earlier, PHF is after more of exactly what you suggest they should be.. this is just what is happening for them now. They should be extremely happy at the moment given the back-breaking their numbers took from the WN FL merger. Funny thing, when they had a LCC going to ATL, Delta was running many many more seats into their global gateway at ATL, all for the sake of competing with that LCC.

L1011

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:03 am

I just returned from PHF-PBI-PHF. The flight going had 119 passengers on the Boeing 737-400, N745VA. My return flight on the same aircraft had slightly less.

Bob Bradley

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 31):

We need to encourage and support these new start ups.

Exactly! The consolidation in the industry is just what Robert Crandall predicted in the deregulation Senate hearings. A few large carriers and oligarchy. (He used more colorful language but he was spot on). If a new entrant LFC is going where I want to go, they get my $$$ if the times are suitable.

Oh, and welcome to my RU list.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

DTWPurserBoy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

When AirTran flew into PHF DL flew either one MD88 or an A319 for one round trip. Now it is all RJ's. Be curious to see if they ramp up to a larger type like the B717. LOVE to see it again at PHF!

vatveng

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 am

Quoting N202PA (Reply 32):
PeoplExpress is flying routes that aren't exactly high-demand (who needs to go from SE VA to Pittsburgh?)

This is the question everyone keeps asking. Pittsburgh?

I'll repeat what I said in this thread:
PEOPLExpress Announces Inaugural Service (by MSYtristar May 30 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Quote:
Hampton Roads has a huge number of Pittsburgh-area natives living here for some reason. In 2009, when the Steelers faced the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII, Norfolk had the 2nd highest TV ratings in the country for the game (behind Pittsburgh, way ahead of Phoenix which was 9th in the ratings). There are strong Pittsburgh/Allegheny County ties here.

I don't have access (that I know of) to O&D numbers, but ULCCs cater to vacationers (Florida) and "visiting the grandkids", and PHF-PIT at $59-$89 each way is intended to stimulate the latter.

I think NFL season will be telling for whether this route has long-term viability. There are nearly as many Steelers fans here as there are Redskins fans. If hard-core Steelers fans can't be lured by $59 fares to go see a game at Heinz Field, the route's probably doomed. If they fill up the flights and can charge $89-$109 or even more for the flights during Steelers home games, they've got a winner.

PITrules

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:03 am

Quoting vatveng (Reply 40):
I think NFL season will be telling for whether this route has long-term viability. There are nearly as many Steelers fans here as there are Redskins fans. If hard-core Steelers fans can't be lured by $59 fares to go see a game at Heinz Field, the route's probably doomed.

I doubt that. You are saying 8 home games per year will make or break a daily flight (365 flights per year as it is now). No doubt Steeler fans travel, and flights around these games might do well, but that is hardly the big picture.

More prominent is the fact that the OBX is a huge destination for Pittsburghers and PIT has no service between DCA and RDU other than this PHF flight. Although PeoplExpress' local Pittsburgh advertising is disappointingly nonexistent.

Additionally, PE has stated PIT will be a focus city, so it makes sense to have a link to PHF as the network grows.
FLYi

SkyTeamTriStar

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:38 pm

Well, folks. I just flew PEOPLExpress and everything ran smoothly. The flgihts were around 80%-ish full both ways. They ground crew were pleasant and younger looking. But, seemed knowledgeable to say the least.

They in-flight crew are Vision Airlines (from what I overheard. And, since the airplane, itself, said Vision Airlines upon boarding thru door !L. But, hey, they appeared to be somewhat Senior and run-of-the-mill crew.

I was slightly more enthusiastic about the return leg. The Lead F/A was named Jeannette. She was Hawaiian and since I was seated in seat 2AB (front row, exit row with LOTS of legroom. Also, this was the plane that had true F/C seated installed with leg rests) She and I chit-chatted about the airline industry and was a wonderful host.

FYI: There was no airport signage - whatsoever - from when passengers approached Logan. They said that "it's in the works"…… Anyways, PEOPLExpress departs from Logan from Terminal E.

Finally, pack your own lunch. They serve Lays Potato Chips at 6am which I found funny as crap! NOT REALLY.

More info is listed on their website. etc etc

wjcandee

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm not sure that this is correct. There are HUGE expenses associated with starting up that become sunk costs that have to be amortized across a hopefully-growing fleet. Being able to (effectively) charter 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 aircraft from somebody else, while it may involve a higher cost-per-flight-hour, almost eliminates the huge capital costs of getting started in running your own airline.

mtnwest1979

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 am

Quoting SkyTeamTriStar (Reply 42):
FYI: There was no airport signage - whatsoever - from when passengers approached Logan. They said that "it's in the works"…… Anyways, PEOPLExpress departs from Logan from Terminal E.

LOL off topic, but totally opposite of when BOI opened their new terminal and they still included the American Eagle signage out front after MQ had quit BOI a few months earlier.....( the first time).
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

vatveng

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43 am

PEX is starting PHF-ATL Friday (8/1). According to the CEO, the inaugural flight is sold out.

http://wavy.com/2014/07/31/new-airli...e-flying-high-out-of-newport-news/

WN/FL just ended ORF-ATL. And while not really related, Allegiant is pulling out of Newport News in a couple weeks, leaving the airport without Orlando service. The airport has already taken their logo off the website.

PITrules

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:29 pm

"Logan Airport's newest airline is already looking at expanding its service here"

“All three (airports) have exceeded our expectations, with Boston leading the pack,” People Express CEO Jeff Erickson tells me. “We’re quite a bit ahead of plan.”

Erickson says the daily flights between Logan Airport’s Terminal E and the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport are doing so well, the company is already considering adding additional service to the route. The move would in part be aimed at offering connecting flights for New Englanders who want to travel to some of the airline’s other destinations in the South: The company starting flying into West Palm Beach, Fla., a couple weeks ago and service to Atlanta starts Friday. At the end of August, People Express will also be flying three times a week to St. Petersburg and New Orleans"

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...e-is-already-looking.html?page=all
FLYi

wjcandee

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:15 am

Part of the issue here is that Vision is doing a good job of running an on-time, essentially-track-charter operation. That leads to positive word-of-mouth.

KarlB737

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:06 am

Courtesy: Daily Press Via Aviation Pros

Newport News Expects Better Passenger Numbers With More Flights

"People Express began service on June 30, with daily flights to Newark, Boston and Pittsburgh, with plans to add more destinations over the next two months, including Atlanta, New Orleans, West Palm Beach, Fla., and Clearwater, Fla."

"Melissa Cheaney, assistant airport director, said since People Express flights began, "the increased passenger flow is almost double" previous volume. The airport has not hired more personnel, but it has increased hours in a few departments, she said. "They are handling it well," she said."

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/115...assenger-numbers-with-more-flights

lpdal

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:30 am

The product offering looks decent, especially because PE uses the rar(er) 734 and 733 types (yes, I know WN uses the 733 as well.).

I would suspect their next Florida destination to be FLL. We already have B6, F9, G4, VX, WN, and of course the NK hub, so they'd be right at home. And plus, the more LCCs, the lower legacy prices get. PBI has very high legacy fares due to lack of competition, and also proximity to FLL (40-50 minutes on a good day). If we could get a few more carriers over at PBI, the airport could have a bright future (no pun intended....

One of these days I'll try V2 up in PBI. I haven't been to the airport since early January 2006, my family arrived on a late LAX-ATL flight after our Fort Lauderdale flight had left, so my dad booked us out on ATL-PBI. All I remember about the airport was carpet ramps inside the terminal...

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos