Bingo1
Topic Author

Non Hub Airports That Were Overbuilt

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:41 am

I'm curious what airports you view as overbuilt. I'm not thinking of airports like PIT, STL or MEM that have lost hub status and now seem to be overbuilt. I'm thinking more of airports that were built on a dream or maybe some other event made them redundant.The ones I'm thinking of are as follows.

YQX. Don't know the passenger volume it was built for but in whatever case the ability for planes to fly longer distances made it redundant.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06...lounge-at-risk-amid-growing-costs/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gander_International_Airport

YMX Considering that in its BEST year it never was more than at 40% of capacity and has sat empty for more years then the total its sporadic use amounted to, causes it to be put in a class all its own.

COS Maybe this would classify as overbuilt due to a hub shutting down. Was the last addition because of W7?

BLV When flights at STL were reduced and a new runway opened, BLV became slightly redundant. Can anyone tell me what the yearly capacity of the airport is. I believe its best year so far is in the neighborhood of 30k pax.

ECP Even donating the land for this airport did not make the donor or the airport successful.

CQM An airport that, like Mirabel, never took off. Did the investors plan it to fail (their own companies built it) or was it a case of "too much money and too little brain"?

Any others?
Planecrzy

flyiguy

RE: Non Hub Airports That Were Overbuilt

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:50 am

CMH comes to mind with America West, then a big Delta presence and then Skybus...seems no one can really make it work

Indianapolis comes to mind with premier get Northwest before bankruptcy

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

TheMSYGuy

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 am

I don't really get the hate on ECP. It's not a big airport at all. Around Spring Break time, ECP gets a good number of passengers that come through.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 am

Anytime this subject comes up you are going to make people mad when you mention their airport.....

ACY-pretty busy with charters and has spirit and now united but its a pretty large place. Certainly overbuilt

MCI? I think they have way too many gates

IND? Always seems so dead and there empty gates i think?

CVG absolutely just no chance of ever needing that many gates again

RDU always seems to have too many gates and not that busy? A1-A4, A9 are those even in use? I feel like theres empty gates in terminal 2 and its way overbuilt isn't it for 2014? I think this one they built for the future even if its overbuilt right now.

MKE with frontier gone

CLE soon

[Edited 2014-07-22 22:12:42]

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 3):

It was a TWA hub at one time and was built specifically for that purpose. I think they only use 2 of the 3 terminals.

Definitely overbuilt.

RDU

RDU is interesting as it has the most potential out of your list to be a decent hub. Its proven to sustain TATL flights and has a growing tech industry in the region. Also, its placed well geographically to be a Southeast hub for an airline *cough cough* UA *cough cough*
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ghifty

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:46 am

ONT. Even in its current state the airport is way too large for the amount of traffic it serves! Hard to believe the master plan called for Terminal 1 to be rebuilt, and for a Terminal 3 and 5!
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

ipodguy7

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 am

Quoting TheMSYGuy (Reply 2):

I don't really get the hate on ECP. It's not a big airport at all. Around Spring Break time, ECP gets a good number of passengers that come through.

I've flown around a half dozen RTs BNA-ECP to get to Seaside, FL since the route started, always quite full (I know loads do not mean profit, but the routes been around a while now). I know this is antectdotal, but I love that little airport!
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

flyiguy

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 4):

RDU was a HUB for Midway airlines if I recall

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

ouboy79

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 am

MKE with frontier gone

CLE soon

Did you even bother to read the original post?

Quoting bingo1 (Thread starter):
I'm curious what airports you view as overbuilt. I'm not thinking of airports like PIT, STL or MEM that have lost hub status and now seem to be overbuilt. I'm thinking more of airports that were built on a dream or maybe some other event made them redundant.The ones I'm thinking of are as follows.

CVG, MKE, and CLE all fall into this as airports that were hubs and then lost service.

seat55a

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 am

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 6):

RDU was a HUB for Midway airlines if I recall

FLY

RDU - T2 was a greenfield hub built by AA. In its best years, all the available gates in both terminals were in use. Wiki says the peak was 1991.

flyguy89

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:36 am

I would say SYR and GSO would fall into the category of non-hub airports that are overbuilt. I know both were hublets at one point or another, but both seem to have a lot of extra capacity.

Beechtobus

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:28 am

SBD- San Bernardino. A new terminal and 4 gates, 3 of which are jetway equipped for not one airline movement ever.

ZSOFN

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:37 am

Moving away from North America, CQM is a pretty good example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciudad_Real_Central_Airport

Bingo1
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 am

Around Spring Break time, ECP gets a good number of passengers that come through.

If that's the only time it's get close to capacity I would say it was overbuilt. I will admit I have never flown through there.

I was told that MDT and the current ICT have never been fully utilized. I've flown through both and will admit there seemed to be a lot fo space not in use. What are your opinions?
Planecrzy

N757ST

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:39 am

Overbuilt:

DAB
SAV
IAD (I know it's a hub and had delays during the whole Indy air thing, but the new runway is a rotting hulk)
SJU
CVG (Again hub, but the new runway was still unnecessary)
SMF (A people mover, really?)
SWF (With time and new infrastructure this might change)
MDT

[Edited 2014-07-23 02:40:32]

SCQ83

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:57 am

I was recently at DRS (Dresden) and the airport looked clearly overbuilt. Very nice, new, with regional train (S-Bahn) terminating at the airport.

It looks like a reunification project where the German government invested a lot of money for an airport that would attract a lot of carriers and passengers that never came. Today the only Western European legacy flying to DRS is Lufthansa; otherwise it is just a low-cost and holiday carrier airport.

TheSonntag

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:37 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 15):
I was recently at DRS (Dresden) and the airport looked clearly overbuilt. Very nice, new, with regional train (S-Bahn) terminating at the airport.

True. This can be said about a lot of infrastructure in the East - especially many Autobahnen.

Fortunately, we have changed that. Nowadays we do no longer overbuild airports, with BER we are setting all time new standards for underbuilding.

gabrielchew

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:58 am

Zhuhai (ZUH) airport in China was (IMO) massively oversized for the operations, especially as it isn't a hub. I believe there were 24 gates over two piers. When I flew out ZUH-PEK in 2008, there were only 24 scheduled flights a day, so every flight could have it's own gate! An entire pier was mothballed, and the remaining pier very empty. It was, however, a lovely airport to use, with shops and restaurants that passengers actually wanted, rather than overpriced fashion wear.

I think the govt missed the ball on this one, seeing as they built ZUH so far from Zhuhai city without a rail connection, and with Shenzhen Airport (which is far bigger) being the same distance from Zhuhai in the other direction.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Akin Diler

http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

aviationaware

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:18 am

HAJ airport in Germany is also vastly oversized and operating at a fraction of capacity.

TheSonntag

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 am

Ciudad Real airport is another candidate  

washingtonflyer

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:27 am

Based on current economics, I will throw DAY in there for consideration - especially before they walled off that concourse by Concourse A.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:59 pm

ECP Even donating the land for this airport did not make the donor or the airport successful.

Although there would be no WN at ECP without it. Boardings went from a peak of 190K per year in 2004 at the old airport in Panama City/Bay County to 422K at ECP in 2012. While I realize that doesn't necessarily address the question of whether ECP was overbuilt, it did factor into its growth.

burnsie28

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 pm

COS Maybe this would classify as overbuilt due to a hub shutting down. Was the last addition because of W7?

The last section was built for Western Pacific which they used for a short time before they moved to DEN and then failed.

I would argue that from what it was to what it is today its a success. Before it only had DL and NW (maybe AA to MIA) and the largest plane that could get in there was a CRJ-200.

Definitely overbuilt.
ND? Always seems so dead and there empty gates i think?

I would argue a little bit on this one. While planning was done well before NW built a large focus city there, before DL dropped IND, NW had almost all of the A gates and was quite busy.

Quoting N757ST (Reply 14):
MDT

The old MDT was too small, NW and AA seemed to be the only ones that enough space and even then they shared a split jetway. The new MDT had pretty decent utilization after it opened, US had quite a sizable operation and NW at one point was using 3 gates.

cosyr

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 10):
I would say SYR and GSO

There is no question that technically there is lots of excess capacity, but when B6 wanted to start SYR, there were no gates available, because US was hoarding all their former Empire gates in the South Concourse so the department of aviation created gate 15 for them. Now US can't get out of some of their leased gates, even if they are still one of the biggest airlines there, it is pretty quiet most of the day.

GSO is funny, because Continental did try to make a hub there, but it was long gone before their expansions took place. Were these approved and started when Continental tried briefly to build up there?

I know that MDT was overbuilt, but that was on purpose I think. They didn't plan for a different growth trajectory following 9/11, and didn't want to have to expand again later.

Bobloblaw

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Well any airport that has been the victim of deregulation. Like TOL. I would bet that Dayton Beach and Melbourne FL have excess capacity. Bloomington IL could probably handle one million passengers per year but handles about 40% that much.

nonrevman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:17 pm

GEG seems like it has too many gates for the size of its operations. It has 24 gates and is on 3 concourses. That is one less gate than AUS, which is comparatively a far busier airport these days.

There are two airports I know that were overbuilt, but have already downsized the airsides. AMA and BOI once had two concourses, but the unused ones have since been torn down.

DashTrash

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:39 pm

What is considered "overbuilt"? In my opinion it would be terminal / concourse space, as you can rarely have too much runway and ramp space, especially at airports near population centers, or where there are limited GA options. Many of the airports I see named were hubs at one point with infrastructure built for those operations. CMH, RDU, GSO, were all hub airports at some point in time. I'm stumped trying to figure out how SAV, SWF, and MDT are overbuilt. SWF is a small terminal and concourse set up with less than ideal access to the airport. SAV and MDT aren't huge comparatively.

imant

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:48 pm

BUD - Budapest Ferihegy has always been oversized and with the collapse of Malev Hungarian Airlines it has totally lost it's hub function.

Also, BUD has always tried to be a main hub of Central Europe, but could not even reach VIE, PRG or WAW, since it has absolutely been separated from the railway networks, lacks main regional flight connections.

Completely mismanaged, huge network loss with Malév...

It may one day be an important regional airport, but not an international / intercontinental hub for sure.

ouboy79

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 20):
Based on current economics, I will throw DAY in there for consideration - especially before they walled off that concourse by Concourse A.

Doesn't count. They were a hub for Piedmont. Did they add more after the hub was deactivated?

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 26):
What is considered "overbuilt"? In my opinion it would be terminal / concourse space, as you can rarely have too much runway and ramp space, especially at airports near population centers, or where there are limited GA options. Many of the airports I see named were hubs at one point with infrastructure built for those operations. CMH, RDU, GSO, were all hub airports at some point in time. I'm stumped trying to figure out how SAV, SWF, and MDT are overbuilt. SWF is a small terminal and concourse set up with less than ideal access to the airport. SAV and MDT aren't huge comparatively.

Yeah everyone seems to be jumping the shark on the thought of the initial poster - which is nothing new for here. People don't read or have no ability to comprehend what is trying to be relayed. If terminals were built up to accommodate traffic that actually existing - in my opinion - they aren't overbuilt. Now if a city had just a couple airlines and they do a terminal rebuild that doubles gate capacity with no announced use of that new capacity - that's overbuilding. The "build it and they will come" method.

ERJ170

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:57 pm

RDU always seems to have too many gates and not that busy? A1-A4, A9 are those even in use? I feel like theres empty gates in terminal 2 and its way overbuilt isn't it for 2014? I think this one they built for the future even if its overbuilt right now.

RDU has basically been rebuilt from what it was. There are some free gates in T2 to allow for future growth. But the funny thing is that the airlines that are there seem to be spatting over the gates they have now. I believe, but could be wrong, that DL wants the new AA to move on the end that US is currently located so that can take over Concourse C while AA wants to move DL to Concourse D so they can have Concourse C.

Probably the reason for all of this is because RDU (in their infinte wisdom) put the 3 international gates at C25-28 instead of being sensible and putting them at D1/C1/C3.. If they were THERE.. then both Concourses would have access to the international gates. But, they didn't..

As far as T1 goes, there are 4 empty gates. I believe WN wanted to have more than the 5 they have but have not since taken any up. T1 is considered the LCC terminal and meant to be a better facility at a smaller price that LCC would enjoy. So far, no additional LCC have stepped up but who knows what the future holds.

So, overall, I believe there are about 9? empty gates... Not bad when you look at it..
Aiming High and going far..

varsity

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Definitely overbuilt.

+2. I landed there in the middle of a weekday in 2012 and there were literally no aircraft on one whole side of a concourse.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

BN727227Ultra

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 pm

LNK; only volume is for Cornhusker football team charters.

YYZYYT

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Good topic!

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 28):
Yeah everyone seems to be jumping the shark on the thought of the initial poster - which is nothing new for here. People don't read or have no ability to comprehend what is trying to be relayed. If terminals were built up to accommodate traffic that actually existing - in my opinion - they aren't overbuilt. Now if a city had just a couple airlines and they do a terminal rebuild that doubles gate capacity with no announced use of that new capacity - that's overbuilding. The "build it and they will come" method.

YMX Considering that in its BEST year it never was more than at 40% of capacity and has sat empty for more years then the total its sporadic use amounted to, causes it to be put in a class all its own.

When I read the title, my first thought was "this must about YMX".

What is interesting is that the same mistake was nearly made in Toronto, with the federal government expropriating land for the new Pickering airport, to be the second major airport serving Toronto... but that project was killed (whether it stays dead is another issue, though):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...farmland/article14043681/?page=all

YQX. Don't know the passenger volume it was built for but in whatever case the ability for planes to fly longer distances made it redundant.

Is it fair to include YQX in this? It was built for a very specific purpose, and heavily used for that purpose, for a time... while it now appears empty, I wouldn't say it fits the intention of the thread - airports where the planners were wildly over-optimistic in projecting what kind of capacity the airport would need.

As an aside, I have heard that YQX is an absolute gem - a time capsule that evokes the "glory days" or air travel. I hope to get there myself someday.

mi5flyer

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 5):

Reading some reports it seems that LAWA has been somewhat responsible for the demise of ONT. My dad lived near enough so I used to travel there quite a bit in the 80s and 90s... it was a really really busy place that needed new terminals. There is no shortage of people nearby so it seems that something must have been done to make it undesirable to the airlines.

PHX787

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 pm

We are talking about non-hub. CVG was built by DL.

MCI immediately comes to mind.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

mi5flyer

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:41 pm

I agree. ECP is a huge spring break and vacation destination but in answer to the original question - the airport is hardly "overbuilt". It has one concourse with just a few gates and a relatively modest terminal building. One runway large enough to handle a good mix of jet traffic.

The old airport was landlocked - small (6300 x 100 ft. runway) and downtown where noise and environmental concerns were always going to be an issue. It was hardly a facility that could keep up with the enormous growth that the area was/is seeing.

Replacing a small, old airport with a new useful facility does not necessarily mean the latter was "overbuilt". It's just new.

[Edited 2014-07-23 07:42:17]

JAGflyer

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 pm

It was a TWA hub at one time and was built specifically for that purpose. I think they only use 2 of the 3 terminals.

When I flew into MCI (for the first and only time) two years ago the gates appears to be maybe 40% occupied. My first thought was "wow, this place seems dead" as we taxiied past the vast stretches of empty gates.

Quoting BN727227Ultra (Reply 31):
LNK; only volume is for Cornhusker football team charters.

America's fascination with university sports teams boggles my mind. Everytime I hear about widebody charters for teams, fans, and parents I roll my eyes. In Canada, there is far less hype concerning college or university athletics. While there are certainly fans of the different teams, not many people outside of students/parents on campus wear clothing associated with the teams. Aircraft charters? Maybe a narrowbody for the team/coaches but that's it. Never have I heard about grade-fixing to try and keep star athletes on the team...but that's for another conversation.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

SANFan

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 pm

TUS is an airport that has lots of extra room these days but I wouldn't describe it as "overbuilt" -- it was built, expanded, remodeled, and then lost a whole lot of its service. There's lots of space for when things pick up again in the area.

bb

BN727227Ultra

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 36):
America's fascination with university sports teams boggles my mind....Never have I heard about grade-fixing to try and keep star athletes on the team...but that's for another conversation.

Big Fat Dollars™. There's a lot of money in amateur sports, lol.

Flaps

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:43 pm

DAB
MLB
SGF
BKG

A few that spring immediately to mind.

knope2001

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Worth noting (and this is from a US perspective) industry changes have left the majority of airports looking overbuilt on the airside to some extent. As airlines consolidate they need fewer gates and vacant real estate once used by NW, CO etc. now looks abandoned. And the sharp reduction in regional flying and associated larger aircraft also play a role. Spokane looks overbuilt? Spokane used to have 100+ daily departures in the 80's, most of which were 19-50 seat props. Most of that is long gone, and even if the airport serves more total pax than it did then the gate and ramp space needed is far less.

So except for certain big airports and some special cases, tons of airports (former hub or not) have a fair amount of unused or lightly used real estate simply due to fewer airlines fewer flights and bigger planes.

Airports take a long time to plan/fund/build and so they plan well ahead. Even if traffic growth forecasts were fairly accurate I don't think planners expected so few airlines and so few smaller planes would mean fewer flights.

dfwjim1

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:54 pm

How about FAT, Fresno-Yosemite?

chicawgo

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:58 pm

I know this isn't scientific at all (so don't jump down my throat) but it is fun to look on Google Earth at gate utilization. And there probably is some truth to comparing via this method.

Just a quick look at SMF shows 6/31 jetways being used (3/19 at new terminal).

ONT shows 1/26! No plane at the West terminal.

IND is 13/40... Busy compared to SMF and ONT!

Again, I know this is not scientific due to time of day, etc... But they all are taken during sunlight. So the "off-hours" argument can't really be that strong. For example, just looking at the shadows at ONT indicates it was late afternoon before sunset. So I would expect more than 1 gate to be used. I've been to ONT and I can confirm it's a barren wasteland.

bohica

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm

PHF - The terminal has 14 gates, 12 of them capable of handling mainline aircraft. It was overkill when FL was there, and it's still overkill even with PEX starting ops.

lightsaber

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm

A very interesting topic.

I'm not thinking of airports like PIT, STL or MEM that have lost hub status and now seem to be overbuilt. I'm thinking more of airports that were built on a dream or maybe some other event made them redundant.The ones I'm thinking of are as follows.

But worth mention whenever someone brings up the idea of a "Wayport" (hub with little O&D).

YMX Considering that in its BEST year it never was more than at 40% of capacity

The infamous airport that proved splitting international and domestic flights just kills off both. It also proved access to an airport is important.

ONT. Even in its current state the airport is way too large for the amount of traffic it serves! Hard to believe the master plan called for Terminal 1 to be rebuilt, and for a Terminal 3 and 5!

Please remember back to the heyday of the housing bubble. People were making far more money around ONT and the growth was very quick. ONT was seen as the only way to offload LAX... The latest terminal opened just in time to not be needed...

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 17):
Zhuhai (ZUH) airport in China was (IMO) massively oversized for the operations, especially as it isn't a hub. I believe there were 24 gates over two piers. When I flew out ZUH-PEK in 2008, there were only 24 scheduled flights a day, so every flight could have it's own gate! An entire pier was mothballed, and the remaining pier very empty.
Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 17):
I think the govt missed the ball on this one, seeing as they built ZUH so far from Zhuhai city without a rail connection, and with Shenzhen Airport (which is far bigger) being the same distance from Zhuhai in the other direction.

Very interesting. I'm not surprised that some of the airports in China weren't needed. Serious question, if rail to the city were built, would it improve traffic notably, or should the airport be closed as the Shenzhen airport will always have far more connections as it serves more people *and* is a hub for Shenzhen airways... This sounds like a case of too many airports too close together. I'm all for airport growth, but I prefer concentration at significant hubs due to the connectivity.

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 40):
Spokane used to have 100+ daily departures in the 80's, most of which were 19-50 seat props. Most of that is long gone, and even if the airport serves more total pax than it did then the gate and ramp space needed is far less.

Between the TSA and pilot hour rules, the 19 seaters are not coming back... Sad really.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

chicawgo

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:24 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 44):
Please remember back to the heyday of the housing bubble. People were making far more money around ONT and the growth was very quick. ONT was seen as the only way to offload LAX... The latest terminal opened just in time to not be needed...

This doesn't refute the fact that it was overbuilt... It's just the reason. This is exactly what the OP is talking about and a perfect example.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 29):
So, overall, I believe there are about 9? empty gates...

9 empty gates is kind of alot isn't it? Especially if either delta or AA looses interest.

I guess its good to have space for the future. RDU is a city that demand will go up in the future but right now they really do have alot of empty gates and alot being very underutilized.

lightsaber

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Quoting chicawgo (Reply 45):
This doesn't refute the fact that it was overbuilt... It's just the reason. This is exactly what the OP is talking about and a perfect example.

I wasn't refuting.   

Now, if ground transportation to ONT were to be improved, I'd bet it wouldn't be so overbuilt...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

chicawgo

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 47):
Now, if ground transportation to ONT were to be improved, I'd bet it wouldn't be so overbuilt

Completely agree!

r2rho

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

More than ONT being overbuilt, the overall LA airport strategy seems wrong. ONT could be handling more traffic if it were promoted within a coordinated LA-wide strategy. Better ground links would help too, as has been said.

Quoting imant (Reply 27):
BUD - Budapest Ferihegy has always been oversized and with the collapse of Malev Hungarian Airlines it has totally lost it's hub function.

The two runways are overkill, but when I was there I didn't find the terminal oversized, but rather uncompensated: a clearly undersized landside area and a large airside area. As FR and W6 prefer to use remote aircraft stands, the airside does appear oversized following the demise of MA, but wouldn't so much if a) MA had survived or b) the LCC's used the gates.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos