Vasu
Topic Author

Airports With "undercover" A/c Stands?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:26 pm

I was looking at some old pictures of Berlin Tempelhof Airport and noticed that some of the aircraft stands were actually undercover (see photo below):

http://foersom.com/org/image/2008-08-28_38_BerlinTempelhofAirport_s.jpg

Are there any other airports out there (still in use!) that have undercover aircraft stands?

flyingturtle

RE: Airports With "undercover" A/c Stands?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Not that I've ever heard of such ones................

Perhaps some VIPs who want to fly unobserved by anybody. So they board their business jet in a hangar.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

ardian

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:32 pm

Funny that you mention it. I was thinking about the same thing! It looks quite special, but I guess it's quite tricky when you're dealing with larger jets and/or fumes.

atcsundevil

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Until recently, the JFK Worldport was similar, although not completely covered. Isn't the Hajj terminal in JED partially under cover?

atct

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ronald J Stella

You can see how back in the day when 707's pulled up, their noses were actually under the canopy. Now the jetways extend out from under the roof.

Galaxy FBO (Conroe, TX...suburb of Houston) has a roof that extends over aircraft so people can walk into the FBO without getting wet, out in the sun, etc. This is increasing in popularity with FBO's.
http://galaxyfbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Gal_IMG_3113_afn.jpg
http://galaxyfbo.com/
Trikes are for kids!

Rafabozzolla

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:40 am

Quoting atct (Reply 4):
You can see how back in the day when 707's pulled up, their noses were actually under the canopy. Now the jetways extend out from under the roof.

But if I'm not mistaken the 707s stared operating before jetways were widely used.

Viscount724

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 am

Quoting Vasu (Thread starter):
I was looking at some old pictures of Berlin Tempelhof Airport and noticed that some of the aircraft stands were actually undercover

Some 1961 footage of Pan Am internal German service at THF showing passengers boarding a DC-6B under cover. Last aircraft taking off is a DC-4 which would have been a freighter according to their August 1961 timetable when they had 32 daily DC-6B departures from THF plus 2 DC-4 freighters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTZ3aOaeLto

By September 1966 Pan Am's THF service was all 727-100.

MWAAdude

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 am

When I saw undercover A/C stands I immediately thought you were talking about the hard stand where the CIA 767s park at IAD... I think I've been living in DC for too long.   

atcsundevil

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 am

Quoting atct (Reply 4):
Galaxy FBO (Conroe, TX...suburb of Houston) has a roof that extends over aircraft so people can walk into the FBO without getting wet, out in the sun, etc. This is increasing in popularity with FBO's.

If we're counting FBOs, Swift Aviation in PHX has a fairly large metal canopy that completely cover the private aircraft that come in. I think they keep their 762 under it with only the tail protruding, so it's a pretty large structure. It's fairly new so I haven't gotten a good look at it though.

Tristarsteve

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 am

Quoting Vasu (Thread starter):
I was looking at some old pictures of Berlin Tempelhof Airport and noticed that some of the aircraft stands were actually undercover

I transited THF in 1972. Flew on a BEA BAC 111 London- Berlin- Hannover. We parked under the roof during the transit, There were a couple other BAC 111 there as well (THF was a big BEA base then), all had their APU's running and the noise was deafening. Only stayed 20 mins then off to Hannover to change the engine on a Trident.

PITrules

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 pm

SVO

View Large View Medium

Photo © Artyom Anikeev - Russian AviaPhoto Team

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vala - Russian AviaPhoto Team

FLYi

PanHAM

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:41 pm

THF is a heritage building. That famous i ....of a Mayor closed the Airport but running the airport was cheaper than maintaining the structure and everything else whoich now produces hardly any income.

They have to preserve and Keep trhe canopy. I remember the old days when Berlin could be reached only by air, flying through good old THF with BEA Viscounts and Bac-1-11 (mostly -500s) as well as PanAm 737,727-100 and 200 and A310/300.

The IGS was quite efficient, turing around a 727 in 25 minutes was common.

BTW - Berlin might soon be the only world capital of it's size that can be reached by surface only. .

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

tjwgrr

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 8):
If we're counting FBOs, Swift Aviation in PHX has a fairly large metal canopy that completely cover the private aircraft that come in. I think they keep their 762 under it with only the tail protruding, so it's a pretty large structure. It's fairly new so I haven't gotten a good look at it though.

Swift (PHX)

http://www.swiftaviation.com/images/slider-img4.jpg

Here's another good sized one- Wilson Air Center (MEM)

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:14 pm

I wonder why these are not used for A380s. Would be much cheaper than to upgrade entire airport and also eliminates VLA contact issues.

flyingturtle

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Quoting tjwgrr (Reply 12):

Are these pillars cushioned in order to avoid aircraft damage?   

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 13):

How?  Wow! These roofs must be enormously friggin huge...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

atcsundevil

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Quoting tjwgrr (Reply 12):
Swift (PHX)

That's it! Thanks!

ckfred

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 4):

When Pan Am built it's World Port, were there simply platforms that were extended to the L1 doorway? I seem to remember watching the TV series "Pan Am" that there were no jet bridges. The roof extended over the front of the aircraft, to shield passengers from rain and snow.

It wasn't until a few years later that the platforms were removed and the jet bridges installed.

atct

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:26 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 16):
When Pan Am built it's World Port, were there simply platforms that were extended to the L1 doorway? I seem to remember watching the TV series "Pan Am" that there were no jet bridges. The roof extended over the front of the aircraft, to shield passengers from rain and snow.

I am not old enough to remember but I believe this was the case. I'm just stating that with the advent of Jetways, the aircraft are further away from the terminal.

atct
Trikes are for kids!

nomadic

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 16):
I am not old enough to remember but I believe this was the case. I'm just stating that with the advent of Jetways, the aircraft are further away from the terminal.

IIRC the aircraft were moved further out from the terminal when the long jetways were installed over the access road to the expanded World Port's roof-top parking deck.

KaiGywer

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:06 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 14):
Are these pillars cushioned in order to avoid aircraft damage?   

Just don't hit them  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

kiwiandrew

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:15 am

I remember around 8 or 9 years ago flying into Templehof with Brussels Airlines and disembarking under the canopy. Felt very special, like being transported back in time. It's a real shame they killed off that airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos