Ammad
Topic Author

Aircraft Of 17-year-old Schoolboy Crashes.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Ammad
Topic Author

RE: Aircraft Of 17-year-old Schoolboy Crashes.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:48 pm

One good blog they were maintaining during their world tour.

http://flyaroundtheworldin30days.com/

Aloha717200

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 pm

This is sad.   The number 17 sure hasn't been a lucky one lately has it.

penguins

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 pm

This is very sad. I hope that someone rallies behind their cause of education and continues the fight. I am glad he had the chance to combine something he loved with a great cause. RIP.

Ammad
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:35 am

The body of an Indiana teenage pilot attempting to fly around the world with his father was found off the coast of American Samoa after their single-engine plane crashed in the South Pacific, Coast Guard officials and family said Wednesday. Haris Suleman, 17, was found unresponsive by the American Samoa Marine Patrol, while his father, Babar Suleman, remained missing, officials said. The Coast Guard was investigating the scene around 8 a.m. local time (3 p.m. ET). The father and son had left Pago Pago, American Samoa, and were headed for Hawaii, where they were expected to stay a couple of days before leaving for California, family and friends said. They planned to arrive in California on Friday before flying home to Indiana.

Haris Suleman, who just earned his pilot's license in June, was aiming to become the youngest pilot in command to circumnavigate the globe in 30 days with just one other person on board. He was also trying to raise money to build schools in his father’s native Pakistan. The Sulemans left Indianapolis on June 19, and were nearing the final leg of their trip. The pair spoke with NBC News prior to their journey. The elder Suleman, who began flying in 2001, said he and his son had taken survival courses and planned for potential dangers. “He’s at the age where there’s no fear of the unknown,” Babar said of his son.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-am...ld-flight-found-dead-samoa-n163266

802flyguy

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am

While this young man's flight was very different, it reminded me of this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Dubroff

[Edited 2014-07-23 20:44:19]

[Edited 2014-07-23 20:45:00]

sccutler

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:58 am

Babar and Haris Suleman have been planning this flight with extreme attention to detail for years. As a respected member of our pilot community, it is a loss we can scarcely understand. We had many friends in common, but the character that Babar exhibited was most uncommon and, by all reports, Haris was a worthy heir.

Such a loss!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

N751PR

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:24 am

My condolences to the Suleman family and for you, sccutler and your colleagues of the local community. Just made a donation to TCF USA ( http://www.tcfusa.org/around-the-world-in-30-days/ ), the non-profit they were raising funds for in this trip in lieu of flowers in their memory.

[Edited 2014-07-23 22:27:05]
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

JAAlbert

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:22 am

Such a sad ending, my heart goes out to the family.

It will be interesting to see what - if any - conclusions investigators come to regarding the cause of the crash.

He was flying a single engine aircraft - and was planning to fly from Hawaii to California on an upcoming segment. Did the plane have additional fuel tanks? The article states the trip to California would take 13 hours. That's a long time in a tiny plane!

Bruce

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:29 am

I have been following their facebook group and blog posts and pictures the whole month and quite frankly was shocked to learn of this earlier this morning in the announcement made by Eddy Gold of General Aviation Services Egypt - one of their handlers. I got the feeling that the pilots were being very cautious and exercising all the proper precautions for a journey like this so thats another reason I was shocked.

My speculation is that this incident involved spatial disorientation - the JFK Jr. Syndrome. They departed almost 10:30pm from a runway next to the ocean, so a mile out it would have been VERY dark. Maybe something went wrong and they tried to turn back and got disoriented. Their plane, fully loaded with fuel overweight, would have likely had less performance in the climb due to the weight. I think its a better idea to take off heavy during daylight..........

But I admire them for what they attempted to do in this trip.
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Womack17

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:43 am

RIP to this young aviation pioneer and sincere condolences to his family and friends

Impressions of a Pilot

Flight is freedom in its purest form,
To dance with the clouds which follow a storm;

To roll and glide, to wheel and spin,
To feel the joy that swells within;

To leave the earth with its troubles and fly,
And know the warmth of a clear spring sky;

Then back to earth at the end of a day,
Released from the tensions which melted away.

Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;

Spare me your pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I'd do it again;

For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.

— Gary Claud Stokor
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

theaviator380

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:44 am

Quoting Bruce (Reply 9):

May be that's correct. Too early to say however, I was reading their blog and did mention at one point they have had carried extra fuel before too incase they need because of weather, holding etc.

Bruce

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Also I was confused about their flight plan. One source I read said they planned to stop at Christmas Island for fuel but according to flightaware (the plan has since been taken down) they had Samoa to Honolulu direct. If stopping they would have carried less fuel and been lighter.

Heavy takeoff + night + over water (the runway is literally at the edge of the sea) + single engine = the most difficult or dangerous part of the trip.

highflier92660

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Haven't there been quite a few of these "youngest" round-the-world flights recently? So far this year there was the fellow in his parent's Mooney and just a few weeks back there was Matt Guthmiller in an A-36 Bonanza. With general aviation aircraft reliability these flights end up to be little more than endurance contests punctuated by a little sightseeing between legs. This flight unfortunately ended up tragically.

This youngest craze isn't new. Back in 1989 there was an 11-year-old kid from Orange County, California named Tony Aliengena who flew around-the-world in a Cessna T-210 with his father Gary, his father's friend, a flying doctor and aviation advisor in a chase plane King Air 90 and a gaggle of passengers and news reporters aboard both planes. The stated mission of the flight was to set a "youngest" record and bring world peace to humanity and who knows what else. That flight ended up being successful despite a comedy of errors and the Aliengena's original aircraft ending up a pile of twisted metal up in Alaska. It was reported in the Los Angeles Times that the elder Aliengena, who's basic personality was as calm and serene as PGA golfer Tiger Woods after a triple-bogey, nearly came to blows with the pilot of the chase plane in an argument over weather, just prior to crashing his family's trusty turbo 210 after an attempted takeoff from a short dirt Alaskan taxiway nearing the final leg to SNA. They finished the "historic" flight in a borrowed pressurized Cessna P-210.

One has to wonder how many of these children from Jessica Dubroff to Tony Aliengena really initiate these flights on their own?

26point2

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:09 pm

I seem to recall the Jessica Dubroff flight was instigated and heavily promoted by her father who also died in the crash. They chose to depart into severe weather in order to meet a scheduled media event at the next stop.

And memory a bit foggy but since that crash these "youngest" flight records are now not recognized in any formal manner in an effort to discourage more and even younger record breakers.

Bruce

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

How come Matt Guthmiller's new record is recognized by Guinness? (Or so he says)

redflyer

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Quoting 802flyguy (Reply 5):
While this young man's flight was very different, it reminded me of this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Dubroff

Not too different, albeit I'm sure this guy was at least flying the plane. Unlike Dubroff wherein the post-mortem revealed the instructor pilot was flying the plane at the time of impact based on crush fractures on his hands.

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 13):
One has to wonder how many of these children from Jessica Dubroff to Tony Aliengena really initiate these flights on their own?

They might initiate it (with the exception of Dubroff who in all likelihood was just a pawn of her dad's ambitions), but it takes a lot of encouragement and guidance from the parents to execute it.

Quoting Ammad (Reply 4):
Haris Suleman, who just earned his pilot's license in June, was aiming to become the youngest pilot in command to circumnavigate the globe in 30 days with just one other person on board.

He got his ticket in June...and a month later he's flying a Beech Bonanza - A "complex" plane toting a 285hp engine, retractable gear, and a controllable pitch propellor - on an around the world flight including long stretches over vast expanses of ocean? Sounds pretty risky, if not dumb, to me.

A self-aggrandizing publicity stunt, pure and simple. The association with the charity organization was simply an attempt to legitimize it.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

ORDfan

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:43 pm

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 13):
Haven't there been quite a few of these "youngest" round-the-world flights recently? So far this year there was the fellow in his parent's Mooney and just a few weeks back there was Matt Guthmiller in an A-36 Bonanza. With general aviation aircraft reliability these flights end up to be little more than endurance contests punctuated by a little sightseeing between legs. This flight unfortunately ended up tragically.

Yea it seems that way. Personally, I think these 'youngest-ever' records are quite silly, if not dangerous. Sure, general aviation aircraft have improved in their reliability over the past decades, but they aren't built to operate for extended periods of time, as evidenced by the fact Guthmiller had to add custom fuel tanks. Furthermore, how effective is the maintenance these aircraft receive (if any and if necessary) as they operate from sometimes small airports on the other side of the world, especially ones that may not be used to handling GAA. I mean in their blog, the Suleman's couldn't even get avgas at Al Ain....?

And let's be honest, flying a nearly 40-year old single-engine airplane towards the end of a long journey over the South Pacific (not exactly a flyer-friendly part of the world) with one of the pilots being extremely inexperienced doesn't exactly carry zero risk. I'm sorry for the outcome for this father/son duo, but I don't think it was worth the risks they assumed, and ultimately succumbed to...

Quoting redflyer (Reply 16):
He got his ticket in June...and a month later he's flying a Beech Bonanza - A "complex" plane toting a 285hp engine, retractable gear, and a controllable pitch propellor - on an around the world flight including long stretches over vast expanses of ocean? Sounds pretty risky, if not dumb, to me.

A self-aggrandizing publicity stunt, pure and simple. The association with the charity organization was simply an attempt to legitimize it.

Probably closer to the truth than not... I didn't want to say it, but kinda have to agree.

trnswrld

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:53 pm

I agree with redflyer above. This was not a smart thing for these people to do, infact IMO it was downright dumb. Such an inexperienced person in a pretty complex little plane with one engine over vast oceans. That's a recipe for disaster, and unfortunately disaster is what happened. Is being in a record book really worth the very high chance if losing your life? Apparently it is. Condolences to those involved.

Bruce

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 pm

I was reading his blog and it sounds like the round-the-world idea was his dad's and dad asked him if he'd like to come along and from there it turned into him doing most of the flying.

777STL

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 14):
I seem to recall the Jessica Dubroff flight was instigated and heavily promoted by her father who also died in the crash. They chose to depart into severe weather in order to meet a scheduled media event at the next stop.

Of course it was, she was a freaking seven year old. She'd rather have been at home playing with dolls than "flying" an airplane.

Quoting redflyer (Reply 16):
but it takes a lot of encouragement and guidance from the parents to execute it.

And finances.

Quoting ORDfan (Reply 17):
Yea it seems that way. Personally, I think these 'youngest-ever' records are quite silly, if not dangerous. Sure, general aviation aircraft have improved in their reliability over the past decades, but they aren't built to operate for extended periods of time, as evidenced by the fact Guthmiller had to add custom fuel tanks. Furthermore, how effective is the maintenance these aircraft receive (if any and if necessary) as they operate from sometimes small airports on the other side of the world, especially ones that may not be used to handling GAA. I mean in their blog, the Suleman's couldn't even get avgas at Al Ain....?

Exactly.

I've had a chance to talk to a few of the guys that ferry small single engines across transoceanic sectors and they are very, very serious individuals. They pretty much expect to go into the drink at least once in their careers and they try to mitigate that as much as possible. You don't just decide to fly a small single engine across vast expanses of ocean on a whim and without experience.

Quoting ORDfan (Reply 17):
And let's be honest, flying a nearly 40-year old single-engine airplane towards the end of a long journey over the South Pacific (not exactly a flyer-friendly part of the world) with one of the pilots being extremely inexperienced doesn't exactly carry zero risk. I'm sorry for the outcome for this father/son duo, but I don't think it was worth the risks they assumed, and ultimately succumbed to...

Agreed.

The younger one had had his license since June. Less than two months. But hey, let's go fly around the world, right?
PHX based

JAAlbert

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:53 am

Quoting 777stl (Reply 20):
She'd rather have been at home playing with dolls than "flying" an airplane.

Or riding her skate board or bicycle or playing softball or soccer or playing her favorite video game with her friends .... or piloting an airplane.

Ammad
Topic Author

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:44 am

Search and Rescue has not yet found Babar Suleman, and black box, Family members arrive tonight on Hawaiian Air to Pago Pago Island.

http://www.samoanews.com/content/en/...ue-has-not-yet-found-babar-suleman

I have feeling that they are under some sort of self imposed deadline to finish this trip as soon as possible. While reading blog i notice that they also got some food related problem costing them three days. And in my opinion food related problem put them under extra pressure.

[Edited 2014-07-25 23:56:44]

Max Q

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:40 am

Quoting Ammad (Reply 22):
Search and Rescue has not yet found Babar Suleman, and black box,

Don't think they'll ever find a 'black box' from a Bonanza.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Ammad
Topic Author

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 23):
Don't think they'll ever find a 'black box' from a Bonanza.

My mistake.

Type-Rated

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:49 pm

I don't know why they wouldn't use a twin for such a trip. Maybe even a King Air? After all he could have gotten his private in a twin. From what people have said here on this site before lots of people at Riddle use twins for their private instruction.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

777STL

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 25):
I don't know why they wouldn't use a twin for such a trip. Maybe even a King Air? After all he could have gotten his private in a twin. From what people have said here on this site before lots of people at Riddle use twins for their private instruction.

I think the dad owned the aircraft. I doubt two engines would have made a difference, it sounds like a classic case of spatial disorientation in falling conditions they weren't capable of handling.

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 21):
Or riding her skate board or bicycle or playing softball or soccer or playing her favorite video game with her friends .... or piloting an airplane.

My point is that she was a child that was being exploited for attention by her father.
PHX based

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:11 am

Sure, you can have spatial disorientation in any aircraft. When I mentioned a twin, I was thinking of the long over water segments of this kids planned flight.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Bruce

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 am

Still no news. The USCG gave up the search and they are left to find some way to get special dive gear in order to get down to the depth of the fuselage. The family flies back on tonight's HAL flight to HNL and on from there, bringing their son's body back home to Indiana, where the funeral is set for Thursday.

[Edited 2014-07-28 17:32:44]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos