TWA772LR
Topic Author

UA Future Narrowbodies

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 am

According to the UA Q2 profit thread, it was pointed out that UA said they will look in to the used narrowbody market.

From my understanding, the older A32X family aircraft aren't worth that much to airlines as the newer ones, and there aren't many 737NGs out there, if at all.

So let's start speculating. What's out there for the taking? I would love to see MD-80s back at CO/UA, but I highly doubt it will happen. Or maybe HA is wanting to dump some 717s...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FlyHossD

RE: UA Future Narrowbodies

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:18 am

The rumors I've heard are for some used Airbus 319s from somewhere in Asia (I think it was Asia).

Given that some have claimed the A319s and 73Gs would be next to go - leave the fleet - that would represent quite a change.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

KD5MDK

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:19 am

A320 series is the answer.
I think the interesting question is if they pursue A319s to increase mainline capacity or if those are too small for them.

FlyHossD

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:21 am

Quoting KD5MDK (Reply 2):
think the interesting question is if they pursue A319s to increase mainline capacity or if those are too small for them.

What's UA's A319 configuration with the slim line seats?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Boeing778X

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:25 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Thread starter):
So let's start speculating. What's out there for the taking? I would love to see MD-80s back at CO/UA, but I highly doubt it will happen. Or maybe HA is wanting to dump some 717s...

Well, for starters, I'll say that I've never pictured UA as much as a used plane carrier like DL.

717s would certainly be eyecatching, but I won't bet on it.

I mean, A32Xs would be good, especially if they're newer and have sharklets!   But UA is a huge 737 airline. Maybe some additional 737NGs, maybe -700s or -800s if they can find them.

Of course, I wouldn't understand why they'd pursue this in the first place. The topic of UA narrowbodies is a topic I've discussed excessively    Those A320s are getting up in age, and I suspect they'd be replaced by planes like the 737 MAX 8.

How many used planes are we talking about anyways?

[Edited 2014-07-24 22:26:05]
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:27 am

Maybe they will lease aircraft during peak seasons like a pseudo Sun Country/Transavia deal?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FlyHossD

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:29 am

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 4):
How many used planes are we talking about anyways?

20-30 is what I've heard. But you know what they say about rumors - they're worth what you paid for them.

Transpac787

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:55 am

Oh my. Where to begin.... 

From my understanding, the older A32X family aircraft aren't worth that much to airlines as the newer ones

Isn't that one of those things that kinda goes without saying?? Same as how a 1994 car isn't worth as much to someone as the same make/model for the 2014 year??  

I would love to see MD-80s back at CO/UA, but I highly doubt it will happen.

The 'cost savings' in obtaining such cheap frames would be swiftly negated by the incomprehensible cost of adding GSE and parts for the types, not to mention training for pilots, FA's, maintenance, ramp, CS, dispatch, etc...

Adding such an obscure type, relative to UA's existing fleet, would be a money pit beyond all imagination.

Or maybe HA is wanting to dump some 717s...

Something they've not at all signaled.

They won't start to get A321's until 2017. So beyond that, HA wanting to dump 717's in 2014 would likely be due to a Chap 7 liquidation, because there is nigh another reason that would compel them to do that  

Even adding to that... HA only has 18x 717's. Assuming that, somehow, they could be browbeat into parting with them... why would UA want a subfleet of only 18 planes?!

In the case of the DL/WN deal.... DL was getting 88x 717's, not 18. 88 frames is hardly considered a subfleet. On top of that, the rest of WN's fleet - sans the 717 - clocks in at well over 600 frames. HA, obviously, does not have that kind of padding in their fleet.

atcsundevil

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 am

It seems to me that if UA was interested in A32Xs, wouldn't they have taken up the last several orders they still had outstanding? I'm not sure that adding more A319s would make a whole lot of sense unless the goal was to pressure the union to expand the scope contract to allow for more large RJs. I personally think the A321 would be a great fit -- the capacity would be higher than the 739 and it would have very good operating economics.

An A321-sized aircraft probably wouldn't be what they're looking for though...if it was, then they'd be better off holding onto the 752s they're retiring until a better long-term replacement can be procured. The flip-side to that could be them wanting to add newer 757s to replace the aged and high-time/cycled aircraft they're retiring, but I wouldn't think that's the case either, not that they'd be easy to come by if it were.

I would say they'd look to take up more 737NGs since those and the MAX appear to be the future backbone of the narrowbody fleet, but there aren't a whole lot of those on the market.

If the rumor is true, this is a pretty good head scratcher...    (or chin scratcher rather, for lack of a head scratching emoji.) if so, they must be taking a few lessons from DL.

roseflyer

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:45 pm

There are lots of A320s and 737NGs on the market. It isn't too hard to find them, but finding a large quantity is a bit more of a challenge. In North America we have seen Southwest and Westjet swapping around airplanes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...st-delays-new-boeing-737s/2165407/

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 5):
Maybe they will lease aircraft during peak seasons like a pseudo Sun Country/Transavia deal?

I doubt that would happen. There tend to be many airplanes available for short term lease in the Northern Winter, but usually the Canadian airlines like Air Transat, Sunwing and Canjet are the ones most interested in that market. UA doesn't need airplanes in the winter.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

stratacruiser

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 4):

Well, for starters, I'll say that I've never pictured UA as much as a used plane carrier like DL

Not completely without precident though.....a dozen 757-300s in the current fleet are former ATA aircraft.

Dave

ordbosewr

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:21 pm

I see UA trying to add types they already have rather than adding new fleet types via the used market.

I do not see them adding a new fleet type, like the 717, since it would be very challenging.

They already have a 737 (7,8,9, 9ER) and A320 (319/320) team so they seem like the targets.

FlyHossD

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 8):
It seems to me that if UA was interested in A32Xs, wouldn't they have taken up the last several orders they still had outstanding?

It's not A320Xs per se that they're interested in, it's additional mainline narrow body lift. And pursuing the A320 orders would have required vision, something that the current UAL senior management is lacking. That's one of the problems of "management by spreadsheet" - that tends to be reactionary, rather than pro-active.

I'm not sure that adding more A319s would make a whole lot of sense unless the goal was to pressure the union to expand the scope contract to allow for more large RJs.

I believe the UAL ALPA contract already permits additional large RJs if the mainline fleet grows.

personally think the A321 would be a great fit -- the capacity would be higher than the 739 and it would have very good operating economics.

OK - where do you (relatively) quickly get a fleet of them?

LAXintl

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:28 pm

If you listen to what was said they were speaking about need to manage CapEx and long term debt.

In this regard they said used narrowbodies might be an option, but at same time mentioned that pricing on a 10-year old 737-800 for example was still rather high versus new.

At the end they said they need to consider ROIC, and any trade off with older planes needs to be adequately offset enough by lower capital cost. It will really come down to how numbers work.

So yes UA is willing to be opportunistic and look around for used deals to keep expenses low, but as others mentioned the used market is not exactly a bargain place these days especially if you are looking for a homogeneous fleet.

As far fleet types specifically, imo whatever they get will be something on properly already. There is no appetite for new fleet types, let alone having to create too much complexity in differences training or parts inventory by purchasing odd ball used frames from differing pedigrees.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

N62NA

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:28 pm

It's obvious: More ERJ-145s.  

ordbosewr

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 13):
As far fleet types specifically, imo whatever they get will be something on properly already. There is no appetite for new fleet types, let alone having to create too much complexity in differences training or parts inventory by purchasing odd ball used frames from differing pedigrees.

DL was in a much better position to accept used aircraft as they had a many types already. I mean DL has the MD-8/9 plus the 737 plus the A320.
The 717 was a natural extension for them since it is really the MD-8/9 nextgen, so I don't see it as that big a deal for them. DL had the expertise.

STT757

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 13):

In this regard they said used narrowbodies might be an option, but at same time mentioned that pricing on a 10-year old 737-800 for example was still rather high versus new.

They mentioned that used 738s are much more expensive than similarly aged A320s. Which is where I think they're heading, not sure if it's just A320s or also A319s. I know the A319 has the worst CASM of UA's narrowbody fleet, even the 737-700 beats the A319, however with the slime line seats increasing their capacity I think that's improved a bit.

They want more narrowbody mainline, Domestic PRASM showed some nice growth, but as mentioned they don't want to commit to more new planes especially new types like the C Series or ERJ-190 E2s. They mentioned they're at a disadvantage when they fly wingtip to wingtip on a route with a competitor and they (UA) are flying ERJ-145s and the competitors are flying mainline. They admitted people book away from the 50 seat RJs. Looking to grow the domestic narrowbody fleet is part of how they're going to address, that and looking to better optimize their existing hubs.

A current example is EWR-ATL, for a couple years now UA has been putting up ERJ-145s against DL's mainline. This fall however UA's EWR-ATL goes from 6 daily ERJ-145s to 6 daily A319s and 1 ERJ-170. There are many similar routes that can go right from an 50 seat ERJ-145 or CRJ-200 to an A319 or even an A320. They can skip the 100 seat segment and go right to the 128 seat A319s. While a 100 seat C Series, ERJ-190 or 717 might make sense given the gap between a 76 seat ERJ-175 and the 128 seat A319, the added costs of a new type might not make it worth the expense. I think UA would rather use a bigger Airbus in these segments.

I don't think UA is looking to operate these additional aircraft for more than ten years, when they'll be looking to replace their current A319/A320s, 73NGs. That and the relative affordability of used A320s are why they didn't exercise their existing remaining A320 orders.

Another thing to keep in mind, UA has to grow narrowbody mainline in order to grow their 76 seat regional fleet.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jetblastdubai

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:49 pm

Is there any life left in the 737-300s UA parked in the desert? If they're looking for relatively short-term use and fuel costs not being the main consideration, could these planes be resurrected?

They probably have all the support equipment on the property yet...sims, training, parts etc. Obviously completely new interiors would be needed but otherwise acquisition/ownership costs should be fairly low with these A/C.

Rdh3e

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 17):
Is there any life left in the 737-300s UA parked in the desert? If they're looking for relatively short-term use and fuel costs not being the main consideration, could these planes be resurrected?

They would bring back the 735's first if anything. They are newer.

[Edited 2014-07-25 08:57:38]

jetblastdubai

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 18):
They would bring back the 735's first if anything. They are newer.

That'd be a more realistic step up from then RJs they'd be replacing. It'd also fill the same smaller markets that DL 717s and AA 319 are filling. How many are there? The web site I reference indicates there are only 12 in storage and the rest are either sold or scrapped. There appear to be 33 737-300s stored.

[Edited 2014-07-25 09:12:43]

washingtonflyer

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:09 pm

How many used planes are there out there on the market - at least ones that don't require a multi-million dollar D check?

My understanding is that carriers are flying a lot of their planes until they are due for a D check and park them - leaving the heavy maintenance to the next person that is willing to incur the time and expense in taking the plane over.

AeroWesty

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 12):
OK - where do you (relatively) quickly get a fleet of them?

I'd gather the used airplane market is somewhat like the job market. The best jobs are circulated privately first, before being advertised to the general public. There very well may be a leasing company or operator who is willing to let some planes go United's way which might never be advertised.
International Homo of Mystery

Rdh3e

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 19):
How many are there?

Looks like 27ish in the desert.

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/U...irlines-stored-b737-0-typedesc.htm

roseflyer

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 20):
How many used planes are there out there on the market - at least ones that don't require a multi-million dollar D check?

My understanding is that carriers are flying a lot of their planes until they are due for a D check and park them - leaving the heavy maintenance to the next person that is willing to incur the time and expense in taking the plane over.

If they are looking at airplanes like the 737NG, most airlines don´t really have a traditional D check. As the airplane ages to around 8 or 12 years, there are some significant structural inspections, but it is not like the widebodies like 747s which have incredibly extensive D checks. Most 737NG operators aren´t doing multi million dollar D checks. Also the airplane is too new to be parked. There is always demand for it, so while maintenance planning is important, there are not 737NGs waiting for a new buyer that require prohibitively expensive maintenance. Airplanes are available on the used market and rarely get parked. While they will require maintenance to line up with the rest of the UA fleet and possibly some extensive structural inspections, they also need new cabin interiors which are likely even more expensive since UA has too strong of airplane uniformity to have interiors with vastly different seat configurations. Today leasing companies are very shrewd about the maintenance that they require the airlines perform. They often do not accept airplanes back with significant maintenance due without extreme financial penalties.

Heavy maintenance is more likely a factor in widebodies that are often at risk of being parked like 747s, A340s, 767-200s etc. 737NGs often are in fairly good condition when on the used market because the banks know that a new customer will demand a lower price if the airplane is overdue for all its maintenance checks. A320s are similar, but there are some of them that are older with higher flight hour and cycle counts which is why more of them are parked than 737NGs unless you look at the 737-600s or A318.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

kgaiflyer

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 22):

How many are there?

Looks like 27ish in the desert.

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/U...irlines-stored-b737-0-typedesc.htm

I count 28 with one on its way back to it's lessor.

A pmCO737-522 with these newfangled UA slimline seats would be about the same capacity as a sUA 319, yes?

Rdh3e

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 24):
A pmCO737-522 with these newfangled UA slimline seats would be about the same capacity as a sUA 319, yes?

I'd think more around 112 seats?

fun2fly

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Isn't Singapore Airlines (SILK) retiring their A320's? I seem to remember that in an article I read in Feb on an A320. I remember thinking this 10 year old plane is better than UA or DL's.

With their maintenance and upkeep, that would have good potential.

kgaiflyer

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 25):
I'd think more around 112 seats?

As I recall on the ones I've flown, they had 110Y / 8F (no Y+ on pmCO planes).

Slimlines allow for a row of 6 additional seats. Then you subtract for the addition of the Y+ feature.

So around 116 Y/Y+ and 8F .

Of course, this assumes that the stored frames haven't been parasitized in any way and are wholly intact.

[Edited 2014-07-25 11:30:03]

Rdh3e

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 27):

Looks like they were 106+8, so if you assume you lose 1 row to E+ and get one back from Slimline, they're basically be where the 73G's are now.
http://www.seatmaestro.com/airplanes...tal-airlines-boeing-737-500-1.html

[Edited 2014-07-25 11:46:22]

washingtonflyer

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 pm

How long does it take to bring a bird out of "deep freeze" in the desert?

FlyHossD

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 29):
How long does it take to bring a bird out of "deep freeze" in the desert?

Probably less time than it would take to put back on the certificate (AOC).

Also, IIRC, didn't UAL already dispose of the 737-500 simulator that was at IAH?

maxamuus

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 14):
It's obvious: More ERJ-145s.

Whoa now! They wont flood the market with over capacity. They will stick to ERJ 135s.

kgaiflyer

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 28):
Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 27):

Looks like they were 106+8, so if you assume you lose 1 row to E+ and get one back from Slimline, they're basically be where the 73G's are now.
http://www.seatmaestro.com/airplanes....html

To fully emulate the A319 slimline configuration, lets add an additional seat on each side at the row 20 exit doors (108+8)

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 30):
didn't UAL already dispose of the 737-500 simulator that was at IAH?

I believe it's at DEN with a blue tarp over it. Otherwise, I assume this is no more difficult to solve than DL finding a simulator for the 717.

LAXintl

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:41 pm

737-300/500 are not about to come back.

Not only did they have poor CASM (esp -500), they are a different type for crews, have their own separate maintenance spares etc.
UA will not spin up what would be a whole new fleet type on the AOC and all its supporting infrastructure.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

drerx7

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm

All indications from the conference call are 737ng or 319/320.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

kgaiflyer

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:02 am

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 9):
There are lots of A320s and 737NGs on the market. It isn't too hard to find them,

Lots of A320s, at least.

Who knew?

http://www.globalplanesearch.com/pax/jets/airliners/airbus/a320.htm

strfyr51

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:11 am

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 17):

Most if not all of those airplanes were ferried to TUP ot be made into beer cans

strfyr51

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:22 am

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 3):
What's UA's A319 configuration with the slim line seats?

8f 120Y Vs 8F/112Y std

strfyr51

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:39 am

One thing is that whatever airplanes we gwet will have to be something we already fly so I would eliminatethe B717's and MD-80's
A319's and A320's are possibilities as we have tech capabilities for them as well as any 737 classic or NG, So there moght be some ordered airplanes in white tail form Airbus or parked airplanes from Boeing as there are people opening and cancelling orders all the time. S-CO managment wasn't a big fan of A320's and A319's until lately when the found them eficient to fly,
We can overhaul both the V2500's and the CFM56's in out own shops so engine choices are of little concern. So there's no downside to any 737 or Airbus narrowbody they can procure. .

AviationAddict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:51 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 35):
Lots of A320s, at least.

Who knew?

Most of the listings are for A320s built in the early '90s located in Illinois...sounds suspiciously like UA...

kgaiflyer

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:55 am

Quoting AviationAddict (Reply 39):
Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 35):
Lots of A320s, at least.

Who knew?

Most of the listings are for A320s built in the early '90s located in Illinois...sounds suspiciously like UA...

If that were true, that's certainly a new wrinkle in this discussion, isn't it?

AviationAddict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:06 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 40):
If that were true, that's certainly a new wrinkle in this discussion, isn't it?

Not necessarily. Just because a frame is listed on a brokerage site doesn't automatically mean the owner is looking to sell; they could just be testing the water. It's very common on corporate side of the aviation world...flight departments and owners of biz jets will often list their planes for sale just to see what they are worth. If they get a few offers then they'll have a better idea of who's looking to buy and what they're willing to pay when the time comes to actually start offloading older frames.

Plus, maybe they get lucky and someone offers them stupid money...one thing I've learned in life is that it doesn't matter who you are or what you're selling, if someone offers you stupid money you accept it and cash the check immediately!  

SonomaFlyer

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:08 am

Price;
Cost to bring up to maintenance snuff;
Cost to redo the interior to UA specs.

The big question is how many they want and how much they are willing to pay? The frames in the 320 family are out there. There aren't too many 319s but I suspect they would go for the 320s anyway.

strfyr51

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:30 am

We only have 5 1993 model year A320-232's Most of these are -214's with CFM56-5's while we fly the V2527-A5.

iahcsr

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:04 am

Old 737s don't become beer cans... Much more likely they become new 737-777s. Not sure on old A32xs
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

KD5MDK

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:37 am

But then you click on the actual links and a number of them have a +44 phone number. I suspect the plane and broker are not actually in Illinois.

YXwatcherMKE

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:39 am

I sure hope they get more Mainline a/c soon! I'm tired of seeing nothing but UAX RJ's at MKE  .
Right now I would be happy with one A319 on each of the MKE-EWR/IAH routes.   
I miss the 60's & 70's when you felt like a guest on the plane not cattle like today

A340Spotter

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:46 am

If Wikipedia can be trusted, perhaps this would be a source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COPA_Airlines#Fleet
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

kgaiflyer

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Quoting KD5MDK (Reply 45):

But then you click on the actual links and a number of them have a +44 phone number. I suspect the plane and broker are not actually in Illinois.

That's a funny one. When I click on "contact seller," I get a message page from 'Aviation Classifieds' but no phone number.

Boeing12345

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 47):

Ding Ding!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos