Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

runningonempty
Topic Author

Montauk Airport: Will It Grow?

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:41 am

I know everyone gets upset and annoyed when someone even mentions the possibility making a non-commercial airport a commercial airport, but I really was interested. Now I know that its' single runway is 6/24 is pretty short (3249') it can still be viable for a DH8A or Cape Air's cessnas. I am interested to see if the threshold is "overdone" and they could maybe squeeze enough room to add 300' or 400' feet to allow for a variety of new traffic (even private jets). Now MTP is a really quiet airport (partially due to the outrageous landing fees), but could we see a Dash to JFK or PHL, or even just Cape air to BOS or ACK or HPN. Montauk has a small population, but a fairly strong tourist flow (seasonally). If JetBlue can shuttle 100 people daily to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard, maybe MTP could grow to serve commercial traffic. Now even with the ambition to serve commercial traffic a lot would need to change, but I suspect there is a decent amount of traffic seasonally. Your opinions are appreciated.

RJNUT

RE: Montauk Airport: Will It Grow?

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:47 am

well if Block Island proves sucessful i cant see why 9K woudlnt try it with their BNI A/C

ltbewr

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:49 am

Doubt it with all the rich NIMBY's, politicians saying no to such use to get votes. It is also just too short of a distance by a/c to be viable for commercial use, for many flights conflicts with the already overcrowded NYC metro airspace.

runningonempty
Topic Author

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 2):
Doubt it with all the rich NIMBY's, politicians saying no to such use to get votes.

I can see how "elite" Montauk folk can be upset. But, according to this article, when MTP was up for sale at 18 million (ridiculous) they were saying how people were really glad the airport was there. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/ny...ting-its-future-in-doubt.html?_r=0

If anything, I see 9K starting ops. Would there need to be a large amount of money put into building a "terminal" for the 9 seat planes?

shamrock137

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 am

I don't really see MTP having any major runway construction. If you look where the runway is, its on a marsh in a state park, getting permission past the environmental studies would be almost impossible. I do however see potential for commercial service. Flights to BID, GON, WST or even HPN in the summer would do well if marketed and scheduled right. 9K's new Islanders would be the perfect aircraft.
Time to spare? Go by air!

bjorn14

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:19 am

Is there a helipad at MTP?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

shamrock137

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 5):
Is there a helipad at MTP?

Not a dedicated helipad, but helicopters frequent the airport and just park on the GA spots on the ramp.

vw

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:47 pm

I landed a KingAir 200 there yesterday. The landing fee was $60, I wouldn't call that cheep, but not even close to outrageous, for an elite getaway destination.

NBGSkyGod

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:02 pm

I doubt that MTP would ever be viable, since East Hampton (HTO) is only a few miles away and can handle mid-sized jet traffic, and with enough surrounding real estate to extend their runway and add other infrastructure if the demand warranted it.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

bobnwa

Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Quoting RunningOnEmpty (Thread starter):
If JetBlue can shuttle 100 people daily to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard, maybe MTP could grow to serve commercial traffic.

Long Island does not compare to Nantucket or Marthas vineyard as a destination. I would be a financial flop

CV990A

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 8):
East Hampton (HTO) is only a few miles away and can handle mid-sized jet traffic

HTO also already has scheduled charter service via Fly The Whale during the summer using C208 floatplanes to/from one of the heliports on the East River, but from what I understand, the NIMBYs have a pretty good campaign going to try and close HTO going on right now.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

prosa

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:04 pm

HTO is not just a few miles from MTP. It's close to 25 miles, and in summer traffic can be an hour's drive.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

dragon-wings

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:03 am

Every summer I got out to the east end multiple times. I was there 3 weeks ago and the ramp at Montauk was packed with helicopters (6 of them), the only fixed wing planes I saw was a Cessna 404 and a Piper Cherokee. I am going back out there again in 2 weeks! Oh and East Hampton is 17 miles from Montauk.

PS: I didn't fly out there I drove from my house (about a 40 minute drive for me). And when I get out there I go explore and that includes stops at Montauk, East Hampton, and Francis Gabreski airport in West Hampton.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

shamrock137

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 9):
I would be a financial flop

With the right aircraft and schedule, I think it could sustain a seasonal service. Others were talking about a DH8 which would be far to large, but a smaller aircraft like an Islander, C208 or C402 wouldnt be out of the question. The MTP to NYC and Cape and Islands charter market is fairly large considering the airport and population size.

JBAirwaysFan

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:04 pm

I think if any airport out there would get that type of service it would be HTO, not MTP, but I would think ISP would try to scoop any carrier like that up before any of those could get a hold of it. Though HTO did host some commercial air service to JFK and LGA way back in the day.

Then we have FOK which has a long enough runway to support jets, but it's probably too close to MacArthur.

Either way, any of these airports are a crap shoot. Never gonna happen, but if we want to dream, let's make FOK the 4th NYC Airport.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

jetstar

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Years ago my girlfriend at the time and I would hop into my C-150 and fly from HPN to Montauk airport for a day at the beach and we would bring along a picnic lunch. There were no facilities on the beach to change so we wore our bathing suits under our shorts. It took just under an hour to fly there so I could easily make it out and back on a tank on gas

Back then the airport had a old small fire truck and they would use the fire truck to shuttle people from the parking ramp, which was at the farthest end of the runway from the beach down to the end of the runway and then all we had to do was walk over some sand dunes to get to the beach. About the only other people on the beach were others who flew in and those who drove their sand buggies down the beach, so we had no one near us for the entire day. To return back to my airplane we just either waited at the end of the runway or started walking on the side of the runway and sooner or later the shuttle would come down and pick us

If I remember back then the landing fee was 5 dollars, which included the shuttle to the beach.

JetStar

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos