Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

timz
Topic Author

Old CLE Pic: Whose DH Heron?

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:02 pm

When is this? Whose Heron? Is that a BAC-111 on the other side of the concourse? Whose?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11454678366

OzarkD9S

RE: Old CLE Pic: Whose DH Heron?

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:21 pm

My guess is Fischer Brothers Aviation, which operated Herons from around 1975 (?) until about 1983 or so.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

SpaceshipDC10

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting timz (Thread starter):
Whose Heron?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bob Garrard

Quoting timz (Thread starter):
Is that a BAC-111 on the other side of the concourse? Whose?

Yes.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ellis M. Chernoff

prosa

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:22 pm

Looks to be a North Central heron.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

RJNUT

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:23 pm

i believe Fischer Bros. Aviaton out of Marion ,OH? they ultimatley became a NW Airlink partner out of DTW with Shorts 360's?!

OzarkD9S

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:24 pm

Quoting prosa (Reply 3):

Looks to be a North Central heron.

NC never operated Herons, to the best of my knowledge.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

YXwatcherMKE

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:25 am

I believe the BAC-111 you see in that picture is an Allegheny Airlines a/c based on the the way the markings are tail.
see example.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert S Morris

As to the Heron I agree with "SpaceshipDC10."
Also Ozark DC9S is correct, North Central (NC) never operated Herons at any time. I nearly grew up flying on NC a/c as a kid must have make 70 R/T's between MKE and LSE plus another 40 R/T's on the MKE-MSP route. And also did about 6 or 8 MKE-YYZ-MKE trips when they got that route with my Grandmother as a teen helping her get round Toronto so she could sell my Grandfathers business afther his passing. I also have a history book on NC.
I miss the 60's & 70's when you felt like a guest on the plane not cattle like today

flyjoe

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:49 am

Yes that was operated by Fischer Brothers as Allegheny Commuter. You can see the matching wedge on the tails of the Heron and BAC. There are a few pics of the ALC Herons in both liveries in the database.

jetpixx

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:48 am

Man, this photo brings back memories...when I was wee, probably around this time, my parents would take me to the airport to watch planes land. It was free entertainment, and I would be content for hours.

These are the same planes we saw...I never realized it was Allegheny until years later - but I remember that distinct triangle logo. My first flight was on a UA 727 like the one above, from FLL-CLE.

The airplanes seemed to big, and CLE was bigger than life...but that's probably because the planes were big compared to the terminal at the time - ha.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

quiet1

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:28 am

As an Allegheny Commuter, I believe the Heron operated between CLE and Mansfield and Marion. I used to enjoy the AL and AA BAC-111's taking off. The crackling sound was music to my ears.

It's unusual to see a UA plane at that concourse. I thought in that time period they only operated out of the opposite concourse with jetways and the banjo at the end (sharing the concourse with NW.)

I was a frequent spotter from about 1970 to 1975 at CLE when I was in my late teens. Spent many a cold winter day on that observation deck. When I moved to Hawaii in 1979, I threw out a carton of photos I took. Who knew there'd be anybody interested in them 35 years later. I had some high quality photos from an old Graflex with a roll film adapter on the back. Ah, the Good Old Days!

aviatorcraig

Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:30 am

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 9):
I used to enjoy the AL and AA BAC-111's taking off. The crackling sound was music to my ears.

Ah yes, the BAC one-eleven, the most efficient jet fuel to noise converter ever produced by man!
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

chrisjake

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 am

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 9):
the Heron operated between CLE and Mansfield and Marion.

Fischer Bros Aviation operated their Heron's as an Allegheny Commuter between Cleveland, Mansfield and Galion. Galion is where Fischer Bros was based and "Galion" was also their call-sign. Galion airport (GQQ) was used mostly for mx with 1 px flight per weekday tagged onto the MFD-CLE-MFD runs. The Heron's were gone by the time they became a Northwest Airlink carrier.

Chris

quiet1

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:41 am

Ooops, that's correct: It was Galion and not Marion. My mistake. Sorry!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos