Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mattnrsa
Topic Author

United's Creative New Safety Video

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqAAQ0ZZMyw

United just released their new safety video on the company's YouTube page in anticipation of its roll-out over the next few days. It does a nice job combining humor, locales from around the United route map, and, of course, "Rhapsody in Blue". The video includes small details (such as hidden signs) that are meant to be discovered with repeated viewings for flyers who will see it multiple times. The James Bond-ish fight scene on top of the ski gondola along with the kangaroos and their "worried" expressions as the flight attendant describes removing the pouch (for the life vest) both made me laugh.

VCEflyboy

RE: United's Creative New Safety Video

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:28 am

Why did they have to show Mount Vesuvius for the no-smoking announcement?
UA does not even fly to NAP.
Don't you guys have enough active volcanoes to show off in Hawaii?

[Edited 2014-07-29 00:34:23]

trent1000

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 am

1. Is it now acceptable to take photos of UA FAs while they do a safety demonstration? Or rather, to take pictures of the crew at any time?

2. Kangaroos don't make squeaky sounds like whatever they do in the video.

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 1):

3. UA flies from FCO, which is not too far north of NAP.

4. Yes, apparently the volcanoes have singed the hairs off the armpits of the men sitting on the beaches there...

SurfandSnow

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:12 am

Wow! I never thought I'd see the day when UA one-upped VX, but they certainly have with this video. I certainly won't miss the mundane safety video it replaces! This is an excellent way to market the airline's global reach while doing something they have to do anyways. It's too bad most domestic pax will never see this, although I hope it will generate some positive press for an airline that seems to finally be turning the corner for the better...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

VCEflyboy

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:12 am

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 2):

3. UA flies from FCO, which is not too far north of NAP.

Yet far enough for AZ to operate FCO NAP.

Besides, I dont get it. Why do they all look like they are constipated? Even the kangaroos.
Are they real crew who just don't wanna be there or some evening acting school students?

ua2162

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:31 am

While it's better than their current video, I'm not really that impressed.

The beach scene is almost a rip off on NZ's video. They, along with VX and DL still have them beat.

Gotta love Rapsody though.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:39 am

So, just copying Delta's approach / lead once again. I do like the Rhapsody In Blue.

jetblastdubai

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 4):
Why do they all look like they are constipated?

Maybe they tried to make the video as realistic as the actual onboard experience would be.  Wow!

In all fairness, it's a welcome change from the current videos but this too will become boring after a while. It'd be nice if they (all the airlines) had a library of different videos to pick from and mix them up a bit. They're all way too long and no matter how clever or appealing they are at first, they need to be refreshed more often.

They go to all the trouble and expense of producing these videos, they might as well shoot several versions of it (different characters and/or locations) and make it more interesting so people will watch them. Having the guy push on the locked lav door and have a woman scream and then come out swinging her purse at him would be classic.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 am

Was is Vesuvius or Etna? Looks like Etna.

Coal

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:08 am

I like the video. I particularly like the fact that they've taken out the bit with the London Symphony Orchestra which I didn't care for, and particularly with the lady that says she gets goose bumps every time she hears rhapsody in blue (really? really!?!?).

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

atcsundevil

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:39 am

I'm actually very impressed. I didn't think they had that level of creativity in them. It seems to me that it has the highest production value of any safety video I've seen. I'd like to think that this is a sign of better things to come, but I'll remain dubious. In the mean time, I'll at least be entertained by the safety videos now...too bad they've yanked out screens on the Airbus fleet and have been too lazy or too cheap to add them to the whole 737 fleet.

rwsea

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:57 am

This is the first creative thing we've seen from United in years. Good on them.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:34 pm

I liked it. Newer, fresh material. Following Delta's lead, but in their own way. Rhapsody in Blue gives it the United touch to what could otherwise be seen as a simple Delta ripoff.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

uberflieger

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Love the 'Global' theme and of course the Rhapsody. This video is playful, but classy. Excellent job, United!   

hoya

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:01 pm

Pity this won't be seen on a lot of aircraft in UA's system - all the United Express aircraft and all the A319/320s. Aren't some 737s also without TV screens? That said, this is aimed more at those traveling UA internationally.
Hoya Saxa!!

Alitalia744

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:14 pm

Personally, I don't love it.

While creative and different (which will draw attention), it feels too removed from the aircraft. Just my opinion.

I still contest the Air France safety video is the classiest out there.

AIR FRANCE SAFTEY VIDEO
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

FlyPIJets

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 4):
Why do they all look like they are constipated?

HA! I got the sense this video represents United pretty well. It is a sure-footed video, capable, meets the requirement, ties into the corporate brand image in a banal way (which is something since United has no brand image any longer), and, all the employees look a little uncomfortable, faking wanting to be there for you.

sorry, United employees, please don't take it personally. It is sort of the corporate reputation brand you have now.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

codc10

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:30 pm

It is better than I expected and mildly entertaining. A slightly different approach from other carriers who have done similar videos which keeps it from being a poor facsimile.

Hopefully it signals a bit of a change in direction from United's leadership, after a series of false starts...

avi8tir

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:31 pm

What Y seats are shown in the beach scene towards the end? I certainly have never seen those before!!
*Long live the Widget*

airzim

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 6):
So, just copying Delta's approach / lead once again. I do like the Rhapsody In Blue.

Disagree. DL's is an abomination in my opinion. I don't find Delta's sophomoric approach entertaining or humorous. UA's approach is totally different in approach and intent.

Quoting avi8tir (Reply 18):
What Y seats are shown in the beach scene towards the end? I certainly have never seen those before!!

Those are on the new A320s and CR7s. I also find the hairless model at the end weird too. But overall I like the scene,

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 13):
Love the 'Global' theme and of course the Rhapsody. This video is playful, but classy. Excellent job, United!

Agreed. For some, nothing UA does will ever satisfy them.

TonyBurr

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:05 pm

But where is JEFF?? I did not think they did anything without his face in it. Maybe a sign of his leaving   

Rdh3e

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Those are the new slimline seats.

codc10

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:07 pm

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 19):
1K Premier

Charging for alcohol on longhauls is cheap and tacky (as the only airline that does so), but as a 1K you do get 10 drink coupons each year...

slider

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

I like it....

Definitely out of the box and there are a LOT of easter eggs in here when you watch it several times. TONS of stuff rammed into this which does help the fact many of us will watch this a zillion times.

Anyone else catch the Wilhelm scream at 2:08?? Haha...

dtw2hyd

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:17 pm

This is a lame copycat version of NZ safety video. Don't know about global thing but I get a feeling they are too embarrassed to show their own aircraft.
All posts are just opinions.

UALFAson

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:24 pm

Overall, I like it. It's contemporary, visually impressive (especially the origami airplane with the exit doors), and entertaining without being goofy. Reminds me a lot of pmUA's commercials.

I will agree that some of the FAs seemed fairly stiff in their delivery. From a production standpoint, I also found it unnerving that they kept switching from the FAs looking directly into the camera (typical for safety videos) to looking off to the side, which I found distracting, but maybe that's just me.

And I have to say that life vest guy is really cute! Too bad he didn't have an Australian accent. 

They are the new slimline seats going in some UA aircraft (someone else can be more specific with exactly which ones). I know they are starting with the UAX fleet, specifically the CRJ-700. Sat in them recently from OKC-IAH. They look really nice, especially with the light blue stripe for Economy Plus. A bit firm, but part of that may just be the fact that they're not 'broken in' yet.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

Rdh3e

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 25):
Don't know about global thing but I get a feeling they are too embarrassed to show their own aircraft.

Yeah, because it would be so embarassing to show the 787...

Quoting UALFAson (Reply 26):
They are the new slimline seats going in some UA aircraft (someone else can be more specific with exactly which ones). I know they are starting with the UAX fleet, specifically the CRJ-700.

THey are on all ofthe CR7s now, in most of the airbus I believe, and I think they are going in Y/Y+ on the 737. I think there is probably a status in the Fleet Upgrade thread.

[Edited 2014-07-29 07:30:03]

FlyingSicilian

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 8):
Was is Vesuvius or Etna? Looks like Etna.

That is Etna, not Vesuvius, so the nearest airport is Catania, one I use all the time, and one that is nearly impossible to booking via the United website since the merger. They even took CTA off the route map.

Like the video though.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

aacun

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:44 pm

I really enjoyed the video. Coming from someone who works for an uptight old fashion airline...... It is totally refreshing to see United come out with this video. May this be the beginning of new and better things for you guys.!!!!!!!!

kgaiflyer

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:21 pm

Okay -- As a UA 1-K who has 102,000 *domestic* miles in this year so far (I do not fly internationally)
it kept my attention for about 40 seconds. Then it became profoundly silly.

Thank god I'll never see it since I seem to fly only on UA airframes that don't have IFE systems.

BEG2IAH

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 24):
Don't know about global thing but I get a feeling they are too embarrassed to show their own aircraft.

Any positive change in aviation industry is something we should all welcome, especially on A.net. I really don't get it when people just have to be negative no matter what.

The video is very well done.
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

fxramper

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Quoting TonyBurr (Reply 20):
But where is JEFF?? I did not think they did anything without his face in it. Maybe a sign of his leaving   

The only good thing about this 'safety' video is he is not in it. I'm not impressed with it. It's not as annoying or distracting as other airlines, but these videos are getting further and further away from emphasizing safety to passengers.

DualQual

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 24):

I'm going with they are NOT too embarrassed to show airplanes, just trying it be creative. But that's a creative conclusion you jumped to.
There's no known cure for stupid

AADC10

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:45 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 29):
That's why origami 787.

Was it a 787? Could it have been a 772 as was seen at the end of the video? I presume that they would have to create a different origami aircraft to properly represent the exits and rafts for each overwater aircraft where the video plays.

Quoting hoya (Reply 14):
Pity this won't be seen on a lot of aircraft in UA's system - all the United Express aircraft and all the A319/320s.

Why would it not appear on the A319/320? They all have overhead screens and I believe the last time I flew in one they played a safety video, rather than doing a live demonstration.

DeltaRules

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Isn't it too late to ask passengers to carry aboard one carry-on plus a personal item by the time you're seeing the video?  

Other than that, a nicely done video from Continited.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

alfa164

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm

I particularly liked the oragami plane.

But who will see the video? With UA taking screens out of so many planes... and flying so many RJ's with no entertainmment... only a small percentage of passengers may actually see it.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Rdh3e

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 36):
Was it a 787? Could it have been a 772 as was seen at the end of the video?

It was a 787 as they stated in the video. I assume there are versions for the other aircraft.

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 36):
Why would it not appear on the A319/320? They all have overhead screens and I believe the last time I flew in one they played a safety video, rather than doing a live demonstration.

The Airbus' have been getting a wi-fi / streaming video product which is replacing the overheads which are being removed as the new bins and slimline seats are installed.

LAXintl

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:06 pm

To me the video is rather bad.

Global concept is good, but delivery falls far short.

Most the crew members chosen imo don't look very good.
Many scenes are simply too busy, too many visual distractions
The lighting, especially on the faces was rather uneven with shadows. You want them to be the center of attention in scene.
Audio level between FA's are uneven. A few sound rather quiet or shy.

At the end of the day, I think UA wanted to do something clever like Air NZ, but it did not come off well or cute at all imo.

Also the video is a full minute longer than the old ones so lets see if it becomes and issue at any airport with short taxi times.

[Edited 2014-07-29 11:18:33]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jetblastdubai

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 37):
Isn't it too late to ask passengers to carry aboard one carry-on plus a personal item by the time you're seeing the video?

They should have made another video to play in the boarding area to show people how to efficiently stow their bags.

durangomac

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Well I like it. Nice to see UA is finally creating safety briefings that are a little bit more fun to watch like so many others.

AirCalSNA

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:19 pm

I like it. I also thought the crew uniforms were attractive. I should try to fly with them again.

caleb1

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Ok United. Good job with the new safety video. Now, let's work on improving the ACTUAL inflight experience once we board your aircraft!

F9Animal

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:14 pm

I found the video to be pretty boring. We know that passengers turn off their brains as soon as they walk through the airport doors. They become Patrick from SpongeBob SquarePants after passing security. Then they become zombies after stepping on to the aircraft. This video just seems to scream mass confusion to the common passenger. LOL!
I Am A Different Animal!!

RICARIZA

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:27 pm

Quoting ua2162 (Reply 5):
While it's better than their current video, I'm not really that impressed.

My thoughts exactly... for some reason, I found it very boring (kind of idiotic).....
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

cosyr

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:27 pm

The kangaroo part was hilarious. I think it would have been fun if they showcased more places around the world, but maybe they're planning to make more videos to keep it fresh. You can't win with everyone, some say NZ's are unprofessional, but at least this video is not what the average passenger is expecting so they might actually pay attention.

Also, the new uniforms look pretty stylish in this video.

pliersinsight

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 pm

Loved the nod to the 007 flick Moonraker with the cable car fight scene.

lpdal

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 pm

I loved the video! Much more humorous than the last one, and even made me chuckle a couple of times. Way to go, United.

-LPDAL   
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Qazar

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:39 pm

I Like it!!!

UA is going down the creative path… Go UA!!!

allegiantflyer

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 pm

I like it, I really do.

But something I have noticed is that it doesn't fit UA 's personality. I've always have thought of United as a professional airline, Not that this video isn't professional, I just think it aims towards a different crowd.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:22 pm

As someone who can't stand the NZ or DL abominations, I LOVE this attempt. Unlike NZ and DL, UA understood that they had to keep it professional rather than tacky, and they therefore struck the right balance between "humor" and a safety briefing. The other two fell well short of that line, and they are clearly only interested in providing cheap stunts. UA is interested in a safety message. Kudos.

Keep it up United, you can still prove the naysayers wrong yet
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos