Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vatveng

RE: United's Creative New Safety Video

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 pm

The paper airplane was a very nice touch. And I chuckled at the "No flight attendants were harmed in the making of this film" disclaimer.

ca2ohHP

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Quoting TonyBurr (Reply 20):

But where is JEFF?? I did not think they did anything without his face in it. Maybe a sign of his leaving   

I know right? Makes the video 1000% better.

I think they did a nice job overall with this video, but the acting is a bit forced.

airzim

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 pm

http://youtu.be/geAtezRhNcE

I think this one is very well done too.

CYCLOPZ

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 pm

What is UA's uniform? I saw at least 3 different ones for females.

VCEflyboy

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:22 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 36):
Was it a 787? Could it have been a 772 as was seen at the end of the video? I presume that they would have to create a different origami aircraft to properly represent the exits and rafts for each overwater aircraft where the video plays.

Yes that has to be the case. Each announcement must show the evacuation plan for the specific plane type used.
I feel sorry for that poor Japanese flight attendant. She must have gotten tennis elbow or arthritis by now.

Now this is what I call a nice-looking safety video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzEA7N89cKc

RyanairGuru

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 am

Quoting CYCLOPZ (Reply 56):

That's just US carriers for you. About the only thing uniform is their lack of uniformity. For whatever reason they seem to like having a limitless combination of uniform pieces. I guess it's nice that individual crew members can choose what they want to wear, but I agree that it looks strange to people from other places!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

777ord

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 am

I saw this video when it was posted on the internal website for employees. I like the bikini model, but I have no clue what that segment was about. Something about coconuts!?  

flyinggoat

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:31 am

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of the video. There are some good parts, particularly the 007 reference and the kangaroos, but otherwise, I found it a bit boring. I get that they were trying to be funny with the video, but when I see a flight attendant explaining how to put on a seat belt to a cab driver, or a pilot telling some random guy about FAA regulations, It just looks dumb and unrealistic. Honestly, the whole video seemed a bit discombobulated to me.

That being said, the paper airplane part was pretty rad, and I liked that "Mabuhay" was used at the beginning (I lived in the Philippines for 8 years).

Just $.02.

Cactus739

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 am

I got bored. It just seemed to go on and on and on and on. It's like they were trying too hard to mimmick delta or NZ. I give them credit for trying though.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

ckfred

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:25 am

I liked it. I know that doing saftey videos far removed from an airplane may not seem right, but it's been done before. Air New Zealand did a safety video with Betty White and Gavin McLeod, set at a retirement home.

The question I had was why they had part of the video in Paris, considering that CDG is an Air France/Sky Team hub. Wouldn't Frankfurt have been more appropriate to have gone with Frankfurt, since it's an LH/ Star Alliance hub?

Now for the $64,000 question. When does AA revamp its safety videos? AA videos are so boring, when compared to DL, VX, and now UA.

ua900

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:50 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 10):
I'm actually very impressed. I didn't think they had that level of creativity in them.

Yeah, *MUCH* better than before. Maybe they're trying to develop a brand.

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 1):
UA does not even fly to NAP.
Don't you guys have enough active volcanoes to show off in Hawaii?

Perhaps a hint of a new 787 route to NAP or even CTA.

Quoting codc10 (Reply 22):
Quoting PEK777 (Reply 19):
1K Premier

Charging for alcohol on longhauls is cheap and tacky (as the only airline that does so), but as a 1K you do get 10 drink coupons each year...

Yup, so for a trip to Europe or Asia that comes out to half a drink each way. Or a quarter of a drink for a coast to coast flight. People who have a choice might be flying on an EU or APAC carrier.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 62):
I liked it. I know that doing saftey videos far removed from an airplane may not seem right, but it's been done before. Air New Zealand did a safety video with Betty White and Gavin McLeod, set at a retirement home.

The question I had was why they had part of the video in Paris, considering that CDG is an Air France/Sky Team hub. Wouldn't Frankfurt have been more appropriate to have gone with Frankfurt, since it's an LH/ Star Alliance hub?

FRA would have Dieter from SNL, much more fun to see a baguette laden accordion player in Paris. Definitely seems like UA took a page from the NZ book.

------

Takeaways for me:

1. It's ok to take pics of F/As giving a safety demo
2. Hawaii/Puerto Rico USDA restrictions don't apply on UA flights
3. FCO flights are safe for now, they might even add CTA
4. Kangaroo's should pay close attention to their pouches at UA
5. Was that guy on the beach looking at the carry on luggage?
6. Glad to see UA getting a sense of humor again after three years of bland and generic branding
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

DexSwart

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:55 am

What's up with all these tacky videos recently?

My personal favourite was when the FA in the taxi said "Keep your seat belt fastened at all times"
And didn't have her own fastened.

Icelandair's was much nicer, from a design standpoint. This was just a mix match of queues from other videos.

Now, I must admit, there were some nice shots in this video, and the music carried nicely, but audio levels were off, and to be frank, I expected something a little... Classier from UA.

DL as well.

VX and VA can get away with it, because they're "young/fun/fresh/hip" or whatever.

Maybe they should take a look at AA?
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

UALFAson

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:56 am

I'm surprised people haven't commented more on the numerous Easter Eggs hidden throughout the video, like how there's an origami airplane, flamingo, and mini Eiffel Tower on the taxi driver's dashboard, all of which are seen at other times in the video.

And even that scene is a reference to UA's worldwide taxi commercial, with the driver asking the airport-bound passenger "Which airline?" getting the reply of "United."

Quoting ckfred (Reply 62):

I think that they were going for easily identifiable, well known symbols of places people aspire to visit--kangaroos for Australia, the New York City yellow cab, etc.

Everybody knows the Eiffel Tower and a Parisian sidewalk café. What would they use to represent FRA?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

klkla

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 am

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 6):
So, just copying Delta's approach / lead once again.

I think they did sort of copy DL on this but a lot of the DL videos come out awkward when they're trying to be funny. I thought this was well executed to be honest and I'm not a huge UA fan.

DexSwart

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:03 am

Quoting UALFAson (Reply 65):
What would they use to represent FRA?

The LH First Terminal.   

I agree, Paris is much more recognisable than Frankfurt. Who doesn't know the outline of the Eiffle Tower?!

Although, they could've just gone to the Colosseum in Rome, then, instead of Naples.
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

airportugal310

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:04 am

It's 2014 and we are arguing about safety videos......SAFETY VIDEOS

Guess some people need a creative way to tell them how to put on a seat belt or jump out of a damn plane

I thought it was a well done video.

Enthusiasts are always going to nitpic the crap out of everything, so I believe that the flying masses will enjoy this.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

ua900

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:07 am

I'm surprised people haven't commented more on the numerous Easter Eggs hidden throughout the video, like how there's an origami airplane, flamingo, and mini Eiffel Tower on the taxi driver's dashboard, all of which are seen at other times in the video.

And even that scene is a reference to UA's worldwide taxi commercial, with the driver asking the airport-bound passenger "Which airline?" getting the reply of "United."

Yeah, nice touch now that you mention it. Perhaps we're just happy not to see Jeff *and* still hear "Rhapsody in Blue" at the same time. I hope UA remembers the success of the "It's time to Fly" ads from 2006/2007 and the positive effect those had on bringing the brand back on track.

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 67):
The LH First Terminal.

Haha, that's off limits to United Global First hoi polloi. Perhaps some Apple Wine from Hesse since that's at the more accessible Senator lounge or some real magazines, real food and showers since most UA clubs lack all that.

[Edited 2014-07-29 19:16:06]
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

FlyDeltaJets

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 am

I like the video, creative and different. It will be changed in a year or so.

People keep mentioning Jeff, I never saw Jeff in any safety video, he is usually in the pre-safety video talking about a "for the first time seeing it cool aspect of UA's operation"

Quoting hoya (Reply 14):
all the United Express aircraft and all the A319/320s

United Express are not "United" so they would not show a UA safety video even if they had IFE. Also all 319s and many 320s still have drop down monitors above

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 36):
Why would it not appear on the A319/320? They all have overhead screens and I believe the last time I flew in one they played a safety video, rather than doing a live demonstration.

They have begun a conversion of the 320 fleet to slimline seats that removed the drop down monitors and added the new slim line seats to add more seats to each cabin. They will have streaming IFE over WiFI

Quoting CYCLOPZ (Reply 56):

There are basically 2 choices the blue dress and the black skirt suit. The ground staff also have 2 choices as well. Men have 2 choices also.

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 64):
My personal favourite was when the FA in the taxi said "Keep your seat belt fastened at all times"

I thought I was the only one that noticed that.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

MarcoPoloWorld

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 am

VX and VA can get away with it, because they're "young/fun/fresh/hip" or whatever.

Exactly. A safety demonstration video for a global network carrier should be a business document.

In-flight entertainment can start later.

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 15):
Personally, I don't love it.

While creative and different (which will draw attention), it feels too removed from the aircraft. Just my opinion.

I still contest the Air France safety video is the classiest out there.

AIR FRANCE SAFTEY VIDEO

Exactly. A good public document for a global airline should be indicative of a business-oriented, cosmopolitan professionalism. Like in this CX safety demo.

http://youtu.be/zPtt3O8rj74

justloveplanes

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:14 am

Quoting MarcoPoloWorld (Reply 71):

Exactly. A good public document for a global airline should be indicative of a business-oriented, cosmopolitan professionalism. Like in this CX safety demo.

Professionalism is defined by execution, which this video does well and tastefully so (glad they put in the cute gal at the end too!)

As far as effectiveness, whatever gets people to pay attention to details is what is needed here. If this does it better (I also think it is too far virtualized, so they'll need to address that next time around see comment below..), then it hits the mark. I believe it is an improvement. I think people will pay attention and CONCENTRATE just because it's entertaining to do so.

While creative and different (which will draw attention), it feels too removed from the aircraft. Just my opinion.

allegiantflyer

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 am

Maybe now they can put their new creativity skills to work by making a less-2007 looking website?

C010T3

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:34 am

Well, I really liked the video. I guess that if less people had a negative attitude towards United, the reviews here would be more favourable.

RyanairGuru

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:34 am

Quoting AllegiantFlyer (Reply 73):
Maybe now they can put their new creativity skills to work by making a less-2007 looking website?

It's coming. Apparently it will be modelled on the United app. The app is FANTASTIC, so I'm quite excited to see what they come up with, just so long as they don't end up with a homepage that looks like the Windows7 interface.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

lpdal

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:43 am

Quoting AllegiantFlyer (Reply 73):

I much prefer a simpler, text based interface. Yahoo completely ruined Flickr by trying to appeal to a younger audience and "modernizing" the site, which only made the interface much more cumbersome and difficult to access features. This caused users to flee in drones to easier photo hosting sites such as PhotoBucket and iPernity.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

DualQual

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:09 am

Additionally, the LAS scene takes place outside The Flamingo and in the last panning shot you can catch the corner of the ballon outside Paris.

Also find the "Legroom Friendly" ad with the chorus line during that scene.
There's no known cure for stupid

SocalApproach

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:21 am

I personally like what they are trying to do showing different parts of the world however I will have to respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks this is better than DL NZ or VX.

trent1000

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:25 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 63):
Takeaways for me:

1. It's ok to take pics of F/As giving a safety demo

Thanks!!! It took until reply 63 to get an answer and I did ask that as a serious question. I didn't think that it was allowed to take pictures of crew working, especially if it shows their face. I can understand that.

Catania looks so pretty. It would be cool to book an open jaw to FCO, then take the high speed train to Naples, fly, or go overland further south to take a ferry to Sicily and fly out from CTA.

b777a340fan

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:23 am

I still contest the Air France safety video is the classiest out there.

Totally agree! I found UAL's new safety video atrocious. I could not be more far removed from the aircraft than with this video. All I can think of, for example, is why do I need that type of seat belt in a cab?

B747forever

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 am

Quoting mattnrsa (Thread starter):
United just released their new safety video on the company's YouTube page in anticipation of its roll-out over the next few days.

Had this new version on UA445 (JFK-LAX) this evening. Fast roll out!
Work Hard, Fly Right

ckfred

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Icelandair's was much nicer, from a design standpoint. This was just a mix match of queues from other videos.

Now, I must admit, there were some nice shots in this video, and the music carried nicely, but audio levels were off, and to be frank, I expected something a little... Classier from UA.

DL as well.

Maybe they should take a look at AA?

If you make a video funny, people will watch. I've been on an airplane and heard people laughing during the movie or TV show (NBC on AA). So naturally, I switch over to the audio channel for the movie.

The theory is that if the safety video is humorous, people are more likely to pay attention. What bothers the FAA/NTSB/airlines is that people don't bother to watch the safety demonstration or read the safety card. If there is an emergency, you have people who don't know what to do, because they were too busy reading, reading e-mail on their smartphones or already asleep.

Frankly, the AA video is boring. It makes me want to pull out an Agatha Christie novel that I usually have in my carry-on bag.

coairman

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 pm

I think way too many of y"all are overly critical of a new, refreshing and entertaining safety video. It was well done and fun to watch. Executed very well. BRAVO! Not only will it keep your attention, it also gets the point across of the safety aspect of flying.
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

garpd

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:02 pm

My goodness, there are some killjoys on this forum!

I found it entertaining. And if it's entertaining, people might pay attention!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Coalways

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm

This is a very well done video!!! Way better then DL now we just have to see what AA comes up with!

VCEflyboy

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 81):
Catania looks so pretty. It would be cool to book an open jaw to FCO, then take the high speed train to Naples, fly, or go overland further south to take a ferry to Sicily and fly out from CTA.

Mind you CTA often closes for 2-3 days up to a week during the Etna eruptions. But the good thing is you can enjoy the views. it is very safe. They are not big eruptions.

USAirALB

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:29 pm

The only problem I have on these videos is that they aren't filmed on the aircraft. I can only imagine a first time flyer or someone who flies infrequently watching the decompression scene and wondering why there are oxygen masks on a gondola.

Safety videos can be innovative, but they can't be so innovative that they distract people from the overall message. I didn't have a problem with the video that is still being shown (until Aug. 1). It was quick, informative, and modern.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

ozark1

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:01 am

I think it's brilliant and creative but a very sad sign of our times. The fact that you would have to come up with something like this to make people even watch is pathetic. Everyone is so engrossed in themselves that this is the only way to make them even possibly pay attention. Ever wonder why people take their carry on with them in evacuations? Cause it's all about them!!

Coalways

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 pm

They made a big PR splash with this video, made the USA Today papers. There was also a quote that stated that this was the best safety video among U.S carriers!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...arketing-corporate-image/12739323/

VC10er

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:58 am

I read an interview with an executive from McGarry/Bowen. I believe he was a creative executive. Some of the segments will be changed every 3 months or so and feature different FA's in different places in the world. All jokes or film clips can't draw a chuckle or a smile forever...so to make sure it doesn't get stale they have other destinations and situations ready.
He also said, when asked, that the new safety film cost about double of the last one. Given what little I know (as I work for a design division of many top Ad agencies) simply moving all the equipment from country to country, (no they don't often rent in each country) the equipment the filmographer and director is often flown from location to location -(there is an international, non profit organization (USCFIB) who manages the taxes and visas) I just cannot believe this cost any less than $6/7 million. In which case, the previous one at $3 million was a rip off!

If United's brand driver is "Friendly Skies", this is the first thing I've seen to support that brand promise. I love this safety video. It put a smile on my face and it felt EXACTLY like the UNITED that I used to love. The Rhapsody in Blue used was the perfect arrangement for the film. Production value is amazing.

So I tip my hat to United for a job well done! Now, UA needs to bring this to life inside the tube. "Color Please!" The new cabins are very clean and neat, but just Blue with Blue with Blue and Blue Grey.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

KaiGywer

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Different, but I personally don't like it. I think the DL and VA ones are better as they use humor, but actually take place on a plane.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

chiawei

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:06 pm

I saw it for the first time on wed UA927.

Its refreshing. I particularly like the paper 747 with emergency slides.

Schweigend

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:30 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 87):
If United's brand driver is "Friendly Skies", this is the first thing I've seen to support that brand promise. I love this safety video. It put a smile on my face and it felt EXACTLY like the UNITED that I used to love. The Rhapsody in Blue used was the perfect arrangement for the film. Production value is amazing.

Yes, I agree! The video is imbued with the Classic UA Friendly Skies feeling, and I welcome it.

I especially like your info that it may be changed every three months or so.

Thank you, McGarry/Bowen for this! It appears that United has engaged a top-notch agency that gets the big picture.

Quoting VC10er (Reply 87):
So I tip my hat to United for a job well done! Now, UA needs to bring this to life inside the tube. "Color Please!" The new cabins are very clean and neat, but just Blue with Blue with Blue and Blue Grey.

Well, it would be nice if they made better use of the cabin "mood" lighting possibilities on their new Boeing Sky Interior 739ERs. All I ever see are cold shades of blue, and none of the full palette of colors the system can offer. I have seen other airlines that make more use of the colored lighting, such as QR on their 772LRs with a pinkish sunset scheme for boarding on an evening departure.

I don't know whether the cabin lighting on UA's Sky 737s is mandated by H.Q. or is the choice of the flight crew.

ckfred

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 85):

I think it's brilliant and creative but a very sad sign of our times. The fact that you would have to come up with something like this to make people even watch is pathetic. Everyone is so engrossed in themselves that this is the only way to make them even possibly pay attention. Ever wonder why people take their carry on with them in evacuations? Cause it's all about them!!

It has always been an issue, trying to get people to watch the safety presentation/demonstration, going back to the 1960s. I remember in the early 70s, watching a talk show (it may have been David Suskind) about air safety, and one expert had the idea of having a safety video, rather than the F/As demonstrating. After all, if there is something on TV, people will watch it.

AA picked up on the concept in the mid 1970s, when it put the TV monitors in the DC-10 and had safety videos. TWA used projectors on the L-1011s to show the movies and short subjects, so the F/As had to so the safety demonstrations.

People think that air travel is so safe, that they think they don't need to watch the video/demonstration or read the card. If I'm connecting on AA from an MD-80 to an MD-80, I don't bother to watch the safety demonstration on the connecting flight.

BC77008

Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Jeff Smisek's spiel before the safety demo and the safety demo itself are two entirely different productions that are merged together on the DVD disk that gets played. So unfortunately I don't think we are through with seeing him yet! Although it seems like he isn't getting as much focus or attention on his spiels as in the past.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

Coalways

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:18 pm

There Marketing department has gotten really savvy and sophisticated here is a trailer for there new safety demo. Like a real movie preview.. Best of seen from any of the majors!

http://youtu.be/PA4BPgoYfwY

[Edited 2014-08-02 14:24:23]

Groover158

Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:25 pm

I thought the video was pretty good. Whether we like it or not, even safety needs to be properly marketed or the target audience won't ever pay attention. So any move to improve the marketing aspect is a good move.

Type-Rated

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:38 pm

It's OK, but I just know there are people who will think that those instructions are only for when you are in a situation like what is shown in the video. Like fasten your seatbelt when riding in a taxi, shut off your electronic devices when you are in construction zones, look for your life vest when your seats are in a field with kangaroos in it.

Yes, some people are that stupid. But for those with an IQ of more than 75 and know better the changing of the locations do make the video more interesting to watch.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos