Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smilepsa
Topic Author

KLM DC-10 Service

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 pm

The coming retirement of the KLM MD-11 fleet made me think of their DC-10s. I am curious as to what markets the DC-10 fleet primarily served. Did they also have scheduled/seasonal DC-10 service to LAX from AMS?

LJ

RE: KLM DC-10 Service

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Quoting smilepsa (Thread starter):
The coming retirement of the KLM MD-11 fleet made me think of their DC-10s. I am curious as to what markets the DC-10 fleet primarily served

Which timeframe? In the end the DC-10s were flying to the Dutch Carribean and onwards to Ecuador (KL0749/750 to UIO and GYE) and Peru (Lima). My recollection is that there was a midnight departure to Guatemala wich was done by the DC-10, but have to look this up (this was prior to Guatemala being linked to MEX). They also did the Bogota runs as well as the Amsterdam - Kilimanjaro - Dar es Salaam - Lilongwe runs and they served Accra, Kano, Lagos as well. I don't recall them serving LAX but they did serve North American destinations in the beginning.

United_fan

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Did they also have scheduled/seasonal DC-10 service to LAX from AMS?

Did the Diesel 10 have the range ?
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

Viscount724

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:41 am

Quoting United_fan (Reply 2):
Did they also have scheduled/seasonal DC-10 service to LAX from AMS?

Did the Diesel 10 have the range ?

The DC-10-30s had more than enough range for LAX-AMS but I can't remember whether KL ever used the DC-10 on that route.

I remember KL inaugurated service to YVR with the DC-10. I flew them a couple of times YVR-AMS-YVR when they were using the DC-10. (LH also inaugurated YVR with the DC-10, originally with a stop in YYC. I flew that route a couple of times also. The YYC stop didn't last long.)

In July 1983 schedules KL was operating the DC-10 to AUH, ACC, AMM, AUA, BAH, CAI, CCS, CUR, GUA, GYE, JED, KAN, LOS, LIM, LIS, LFW, MVD, YUL, MCT, NBO, PTY, POS, UIO, GIG, SJO, SCL, VCP (assume KL used VCP for Sao Paulo then as GRU hadn't opened yet), TLV, YYZ, ZRH.

Some of those points were intermediate stops, not the final destination, and in several cases they used more than one type. For example, some KL flights to YYZ and YUL then were 742s.

transswede

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:55 am

I flew Amsterdam - Dar es Salaam - Lilongwe twice in 1993 on a KLM DC-10.

factsonly

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:28 am

KLM introduced the DC10 in 1972-1974 on routes:

- To Asia via FRA, VIE, ATH, BEY, BKK, KUL, SIN, JKT with an intermediate stop in KHI.

- To Africa destination JNB via KAN, Brazzaville and KIN.

- To North America/Japan, the DC10 was used initially over the Pole AMS-ANC-TYO and to ORD, YMX, YYZ.

- To Latin America via ZRH, LIS to CUR, CCS, PTY, LIM.

In the early 1970's only Lufthansa operated AMS-LAX with B707, on its 4x/weekly FRA-AMS-LAX routing.

In 1979 KLM launched its own 4x/weekly AMS-LAX non-stop service with DC10. This replaced B742 charter flights on that route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos