N62NA
Topic Author

New AA First Class Meal Service Announcement

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Just got this in my inbox today. Thank goodness it looks like no cutbacks - especially on the warm nuts, cookies and ice cream sundaes!

We're creating a consistent experience when traveling in First Class on American and US Airways. Effective September 1, 2014, we will be making changes to our First Class meal service on mainline flights within the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Although we're making updates to our meal offerings, we will continue to offer the unique extras on meal flights that are distinctly American like our popular warm mixed nuts, warm cookies, and premium desserts. Here's more on what's changing:

We're adjusting the times we serve meals and improving product offerings, while preserving the signature elements that have set American Airlines meal service apart over the years.
• On flights less than approximately 1 hour, we will provide a packaged snack.
• On flights approximately 1 to 2 hours, we will provide a snack basket which contains a variety of sweet and savory snack options.
• On flights approximately 2 to 2 hours and 45 minutes, we will offer our Lite Bites snack basket, which includes fresh fruit, breakfast breads or sandwiches, packaged snacks and more.
• On flights more than approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes between 5:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m., a choice of full meals will be served. We will continue to provide meal service on some of our most popular flights that are less than 2 hours and 45 minutes like Dallas/Fort Worth to Chicago O'Hare and Chicago O'Hare to New York's LaGuardia and John F. Kennedy airports.
We're also expanding our meal service on longer flights to provide you with a complete dining experience. For flights approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes to 4 hours and 30 minutes, an appetizer will be paired with your choice of entrée. For flights approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes and longer, your meal will also include your choice of one of our signature desserts, as well as a selection of pre-arrival snacks. We will also maintain our existing First and Business Class premium meal service aboard our three-class A321 Transcontinental aircraft flying on all routes between John F. Kennedy airport to Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Learn more about our First Class meal service.

What's next?

Later this year, we'll introduce new meals and amenity kits on international flights to offer a seamless travel experience across our combined network.

Continue to check aa.com/arriving for updates on our progress.

Thank you for flying with us

MesaFlyGuy

RE: New AA First Class Meal Service Announcement

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Wow! It really seems like the new airline is being brought down to US Airways' standards!  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

usdcaguy

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Hmm. How does the 2h45m cut-off compare to UA and DL?

stlgph

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 2):
Hmm. How does the 2h45m cut-off compare to UA and DL?

When I took the Delta Shuttle recently LGA to ORD I got bumped up to first and enjoyed choice of a sandwich or a pad thai dish. I chose the pad thai and it was honestly quite good - and rather filling. Came with a little dessert bar, too.

That's just right at 2 hours or less.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

N62NA
Topic Author

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Here's a little more info on ORD-NYC. Notice that EWR gets no love once again from AA. Only LGA and JFK get meal service from ORD.

Select routes between 700 and 999 miles

We will continue to provide an enhanced meal service on some of our most popular routes. Your dining experience will include warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert between:

Chicago (ORD) and:

Boston (BOS)
Denver (DEN)
New York Kennedy (JFK)
New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Raleigh-Durham (RDU)
Washington Reagan (DCA)

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Quoting N62NA (Thread starter):
Thank goodness it looks like no cutbacks - especially on the warm nuts, cookies and ice cream sundaes!

It is a cutback from recent AA distance-based standards. The 1000-mile (2:45 threshhold) for 'full meal' service compares unfavorably to DL and UA's 900-mile minimum.

SouthernDC9

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 pm

I recently flew AA first from DCA-DFW and was really surprised at how good the breakfast was. Very impressive.

I've flown US first from DCA-TPA and MCO and it was sort of like the Gummi Bear scene at the end of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Or maybe that's kind of mean, I'll try again - it was like suddenly receiving a $5 gift certificate to the 7-11 (but with no cigarettes, cigars or 40s available).
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

commavia

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 1):
Wow! It really seems like the new airline is being brought down to US Airways' standards!

I think that was meant sarcastically, but in actuality, this actually does represent a deterioration in AA standards - to a level higher than pre-merger USAirways, but below what most AA premium customers are accustomed to. Nonetheless, it was probably inevitable. The reality is that AA will still now pretty much be offering as good if not better meal offerings than Delta and United, and frankly there just isn't much competition in this market niche, anyway, so AA is making a bet - smartly, in my estimation - that most people will simply suck it up because they have little to no alternative.

AJMIA

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:10 pm

My last first class AA flight from JFK to MIA I noticed the deterioration in first class meal standards. My turkey sandwich was three slices of deli turkey on a single slice of white bread cut into triangles with a ramakin dish of coleslaw. It was awful! But it was served with warm nuts, wine, and a fresh baked cookie.
I think most people expect more than a snack basket in first class unless the flight is under 90 minutes.
I'm sad to see these changes.
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

JDAirCEO

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Quoting N62NA (Thread starter):
Just got this in my inbox today. Thank goodness it looks like no cutbacks - especially on the warm nuts, cookies and ice cream sundaes!

Ummm what? Its basically nothing but cuts to AA and additions to US. There are tons of flights that fall under 2:45hrs that will not receive meals and will also not get nuts or fresh baked cookies. Also, most flights over 2:45 received a plated desert, although lately it was the cookie more often, and it cuts the ice cream and cheese and crackers from almost all flights its currently served on. Also, the appetizer served on the longer flights goes away to the much longer flights.

I mean if you think getting a saran wrapped sandwich with paper napkins is first class then you yes, you won in this downgrade.
An MD-80 is great... in first class

dtw2hyd

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:19 pm

I hope AA and DL will not follow UA footsteps, but hard to resist if UA continue to rake $1 Billion/Quarter profit with a crappy premium product/service. This will be a race to bottom.

nonrevman

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 pm

So to sum this up, the First Class dining experience will be similar to coach class 15 years ago. Wow.

ozark1

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:42 pm

This is not a merger. It is a takeover.

JDAirCEO

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
An 8.40pm departure from Logan to LAX will receive - get this - no meal.

Pathetic, but teaching US Airways employees how to interact with customers in first class and how to serve meals is too much to ask.

I agree 110%.

Its pretty pathetic and the fact that they carve out exception routes means they recognize customers prefer the current meals. AA is saying customers do not want meals under two hours on their flights. Really? I mean you're not forced to eat and from what I've seen most people do actually eat and request nut refills. Just PR spin on a negative change.
An MD-80 is great... in first class

lx2iah

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Here's what is currently on the US Website for F Class meal services -

Dining in First Class

When you fly in First Class with US Airways and American Airlines, you'll enjoy a choice of satisfying snacks, fine wine, beer and cocktails.

You'll also dine on fresh meals designed by our consulting chefs on flights between 5 AM and 8 PM. Meals are based on the number of flight miles and time of day. Options may vary slightly on flights operated by US Airways Express and American Eagle.

0 – 699 miles (under 2 hours)* All flights: A light snack, such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels

700 – 999 miles (2 - 2:45 hours)* Most flights: A hearty snack, such as a sandwich or fresh fruit / Select flights: Warm mixed nuts, a three-course meal and a warm cookie for dessert**

1,000 – 1,298 miles (2:45 - 3:30 hours)* All flights: Warm mixed nuts, a three-course meal and a warm cookie for dessert

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)* Most flights: An appetizer paired with an entrée followed by cake for dessert / Flights over 2,200 miles/4:30 hours: Also includes choice of ice cream or fruit/cheese plate for dessert / Flights between Hawaii and Dallas (DFW) or Chicago (ORD Also includes a custom sundae and hearty snacks upon arrival

*Flight times are approximate.

**Select flights include between:
Dallas (DFW) and Detroit, Chicago (ORD), Salt Lake City
Charlotte or Philadelphia and Minneapolis–Saint Paul
New York (JFK) and Fort Lauderdale, Tampa or Orlando
Chicago (ORD) and Boston, Washington, DC (DCA), Denver, New York (JFK and LGA), Raleigh Durham
Miami and Houston, Port au Prince
Fort Lauderdale and Port au Prince

Here's what's on the AA website about F Class meal services -

Dining in First and Business Class
North America and the Caribbean

When you travel in First or Business Class within the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, enjoy menus designed to deliver a selection of fresh and satisfying meals onboard. From snacks to light bites to fulfilling entrees, you can pair our variety of menu options with an award-winning wine or your beverage of choice for an enjoyable inflight dining experience. And with our entrée reservations service, you can be sure that your preferred dish will be available.

Chef-inspired with you in mind

We love our chef-inspired menus, and think you will too. Using their individual talents, our chefs apply their culinary techniques to create delicious First and Business Class dishes.

Your dining experience

When planning your travel, please keep in mind:

We serve meals in First and Business Class between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m.
Meals are determined by flight miles, so time-ranges are approximate -

Up to 699 miles
(under 2 hours)

Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels

700-999 miles **
(2 – 2:45 hours)

A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights

1,000 – 1,298 miles
(2:45 – 3:30 hours)

Enjoy warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert.

1,299 + miles
(over 3:30 hours)

Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert.

On flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate.

** Select routes between 700 and 999 miles -

We will continue to provide an enhanced meal service on some of our most popular routes (below). Your dining experience will include warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert between:

Chicago (ORD) and:

Boston (BOS)
Denver (DEN)
New York Kennedy (JFK)
New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Raleigh-Durham (RDU)
Washington Reagan (DCA)

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and:

Chicago (ORD)
Detroit (DTW)
Salt Lake City (SLC)

Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and:

Port Au Prince, Haiti (PAP)

Miami (MIA) and:

Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH)
Port Au Prince, Haiti (PAP)

New York Kennedy (JFK) and:

Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Orlando (MCO)
Tampa (TPA)

A321 Transcontinental service -

Your journey on our A321 Transcontinental service includes:

Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
A snack served shortly before arrival

Hawaii service -

Meals on flights to / from Hawaii will differ slightly based on the length of flight.

Between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) or Chicago (ORD) and Hawaii:

Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
Bottle of water
Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Phoenix (PHX) or Los Angeles (LAX) and Hawaii:

Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
Pre-made sundae
Selection of snacks prior to arrival

-LX2IAH

Maverick623

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Quoting nonrevman (Reply 11):
So to sum this up, the First Class dining experience will be similar to coach class 15 years ago. Wow.

Free meal service in coach? What's that?

Signed,

Everybody born after 1996.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

lx2iah

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Seinfeld "The Airport" episode - "I Can't go back to Coach"

Full episode - (Jerry in First Class at 11:10, 12:44, 13:36, 16:31, 18:21)
http://seinfeld-episodes.com/the-airport/

Jerry & Elaine at the gate -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2JKXbVGq7A

Elaine, the bathroom, and the Kosher Meal - (sorry for the quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5mVF6jeTU

Jerry in FIRST Class - (First Class starts at 37 secs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VS7HKoRG_c

TICKET LADY: Everything into JFK's booked... No, wait-- I have two seats into La Guardia-- but they're not together. It's boarding right now.

JERRY: We'll take 'em!

ELAINE: We're not going to sit together?

JERRY: Well, so what? It's not that long-- you'll read.

ELAINE: Well, what about George? He's supposed to pick us up at Kennedy.

JERRY: We'll call him...

ELAINE: There's no time.

JERRY: No time? [To ticket lady] Is there time?

TICKET LADY: There's no time.

JERRY: There's no time. All right, we'll call him from the plane.

TICKET LADY: I have one seat in first class, and one in coach. The price is the same since your flight was canceled.

(The two have that uncomfortable politeness that only comes about when you're down to the last piece of pizza. Jerry breaks the silence 

JERRY: I'll take the first class.

ELAINE: Jerry!

JERRY: What?

ELAINE: Why should you get the first class?

JERRY: Elaine, have you ever flown first class?

ELAINE: No.

JERRY: All right then. See? You won't know what you're missing. I've flown first class, Elaine-- I can't go back to coach. I can't... I won't...

ELAINE: You flew here coach.

JERRY: Yeah, that's a point...

Ahhhh - Those were the days....

-LX2IAH

ripcordd

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:57 pm

It's a merger on paper but USAIR take over behind the AA name it's all them

phatfarmlines

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:14 pm

The guidelines were not clear if the "Lite Bites" snack basket would be offered on the 8PM and beyond departures for long-haul trans con flights (excluding JFK-LAX & JFK-SFO). Will this be the case if no meal?

ikramerica

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Its laughable how the bean counters can parse out a meal. Appetizers only on qualified longer hot meal flights. Seriously? In F there should be 3 meal groups, period. 1-2.5 hours a light meal (hot option on aircraft with ovens), 2.5+ hours a full meal, and transcon/Hawaii a full meal and snack.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LAXintl

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:04 am

When over 50% of the domestic premium cabins is occupied by upgrades, this is what you get.

If people actually paid enough to sit up from, then airlines could afford to offer a product accordingly.

As far as this specifically, as both a long time AA EXP and UA 1K, I have no problem with no hot meal offering on 2-3 hour segments.
I don't see the need to eat airline food anyhow on such shortish segments. On the longer ones that actually matter, AA is upping the service with new appetizer, desert, or arrival appetizer. I see this shift as a good one.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

9w748capt

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:09 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 29):
AA probably won't miss me.

Probably not. LCC Dougie knows he's going to run off with a FAT wad of cash at the end of all this - so you're correct - he couldn't care less.

I have to say I enjoy reading your insights into AA (as an AA PLT), but I don't think US crews are to blame. Blame the new USdbaAA management. The enhancements are just going to keep coming. Dougie and crew know that AA service and alliance are superior, and their FF program is far more generous than their competitors. So what if they're already churning out record profits - the race to the bottom will continue and that'll lead to even higher profits i.e. happier shareholders. It's unreal that you can upgrade with cash+miles on ANY published fare bucket, not just Y B and M like on some others. What costs 12.5K miles (and is actually almost always available on the date I want) costs over 40K miles on DL. My skypesos will probably expire because it's not even worth the effort to try to use them. Dougie knows this. Enjoy VX and all ten destinations they fly to (ok I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:33 am

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 34):
I have to say I enjoy reading your insights into AA (as an AA PLT), but I don't think US crews are to blame.

Where am I blaming US crews? I'm blaming management that poorly trains them.

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 35):
Transcon flights will most likely receive meal service after 8pm, and be an exception to the rule. Flights from PHL and CLT to SAN/LAX/SFO/SMF/PDX/SEA/LAS/PHX that depart after 8pm currently receive meal service, and I would expect the policy to continue with the new AA on other transcon flights.

It's not. Meals have been removed from non-MIA/JFK-LAX/SFO transcons that depart after 8pm and are no longer avaialble for pre-order on AA.com (for AA metal flights).
a.

lpdal

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 am

So AA routes to FLL are apparently "popular" according to a list posted further up in the thread. If FLL is so popular, why don't we have an Admiral's Club and why are our only destinations to DFW, ORD, and PAP? Of course PAP is servicing the large Haitian population that lives in the Broward metro area, and B6 also serves this route.

I know the proximity of MIA is a problem to AA routes out of FLL, but the drive down to MIA is often more trouble than it is worth--especially during certain times.

Maybe with the merger, FLL will see a little more love from AA.   

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

ripcordd

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:39 am

Was his comment in poor taste sure but you guys are blowing this way out. Read btwn the lines and u will see that DP and USAIR had or has the worst F among the majors DP knows it and that's what he wanted cause he was going after different cliental. AA always prides its self on the upper elite passengers going all the way back to the start. So with DP in charge and AA coming out with this it seems that they are dumbing down their F product to US level.

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:01 am

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 41):
Well that's not what you said in the original post! Too late to back track now!

It's exactly what I said in my first post. The responsibility of training falls on management, and management is deciding not to invest in such.

And of course I'm angry - an airline that I've been very loyal to and that I've always had excellent experiences on, including a wonderful redeye to Miami that I took last night, is being stripped of what it made it a cut above the rest. That's very upsetting. It's not just first class service - it's everywhere all around.

[Edited 2014-08-04 18:02:20]
a.

steeler83

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:11 am

My wife and I had our first flight on AA traveling PHL to AUA via MIA. Our flight was at 6 am, and since it was our honeymoon and we had the option of doing so, I bumped us to F class on the PHL-MIA segment. We were served a nice hot breakfast, a fratatta if I recall. My only regret is I didn't request a mimosa.

Anyway, would that all go away, especially on a segment like PHL-MIA? It seems to me that AA had a supreme first class product that served chef-inspired meals (and yes, given that I had an unexpected fratatta for breakfast on actual dinnerware, I would have to concur with that!) I would really hate to see that go away.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PA727

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:28 am

When I got the email, I did get the impression that it was a slight decrease in quality/customer service. In isolation, it really isn't a big deal, however my fear is this becomes death by a thousand cuts.

I know some of this is due to consolidation, but with the minimal changes to meal service now, some changes to award booking and changes to status qualification, I wonder if a slow erosion of service will continue?

I am a very loyal AA customer, typically I fly paid F domestically, while on Intl. routes, I normally fly paid J either by myself or through my company. For me, there is a great perceived value in spending that money to maintain ExPlat service. While I don't mind some rationalization between the two airlines, with the costs going up due to the merger promises and the fares most likely to mirror pmAA fares if not go higher, I expect a premium service if I pay a premium price. With only three full-service legacies left, it is that very service that will be a difference-maker when it comes to the loyalty of the type of "high value" customers the airlines claim they want.

And for the record, since the merger, I have flown several US segments. Yes, the hard product and offerings were not what I am used to on AA, but the friendliness and professionalism of all the flight crews was outstanding. I look forward to flying with the combined group in the future. I have always felt valued by the crews who represent both AA and US - I can only hope that management keeps up their end of the bargain through high quality offerings and standards.

PA727

SCL767

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 7):
The reality is that AA will still now pretty much be offering as good if not better meal offerings than Delta and United, and frankly there just isn't much competition in this market niche, anyway

Good point! It is a commercial decision that benefits AA's bottom line. That is all that matters. Just my opinion!  

ldvaviation

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:35 am

Quoting flflyguy (Reply 27):
As much as I appreciate our "statused" premium passengers, we do sometimes run into those of you with, shall we say, an overly active sense of entitlement. We are used to trying to serve you with a minimum of fuss, which I must confess is sometimes difficult.

Not ever "status-ed" premium passenger is created equal.

Too bad your passenger list does not show the EQP to EQM ratio of all your "status-ed" passengers. The difference in range would surprise you. For instance, an EXP with a .5 ratio is arguably not a good customer, but an EXP with a 1.25 to 1.5 ratio is. If you knew that number or the Eagle rating that usually comes with such a high ratio, you would know exactly which passengers are entitled to have a sense of entitlement.

With that knowledge, the other thing that might surprise you is that the ones with an "overly active sense of entitlement" are usually the ones with low ratios. (This is also what one learns from reading Flyertalk.)

But back to the topic. If every route of 2.45 hrs or less in the system catered primarily to premium class customers with an EQP to EQM ratio of 1.0 or above, then I doubt AA would be making any changes to the meal windows.

[Edited 2014-08-04 18:49:41]

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:42 am

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 48):
But back to the topic. If every route of 2.45 hrs or less in the system catered to premium customers with an EQP to EQM ratio of 1.0 or above, then I doubt AA would be making any changes to the meal windows.

Why so much focus on this one cut? It's not even the big one, and as pointed out there will still be meals technically, just prepackaged.

The more serious cuts - elimination of meals on post-8pm transcon flights other than LAX/SFO-MIA/JFK. That's insane. And the elimination of all meals from Eagle regardless of length (and Eagle does some long hauls from LAX these days). And even warm mixed nuts - simple and cheap - are gone from flights under 2h45m.
a.

AA767400

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:44 am

Quoting 777stl (Reply 44):
Buh bye, AA. You were a great airline while you existed. Now Dougie is going to pull you down to the lowest common US Airways denominator with moves like this.

That's what Continental said about United. Did Delta bring down Northwest, or vice versa?

But seriously -

It's all dooms day when these mergers happen. Not all will be happy. But there will always be apocalyptic opinions on how these mergers are transitioning.

The market can't support certain aspects of service anymore. Sometimes companies have to cut service in order to be profitable. If we were in certain parts of the world - then companies would be able to provide more amenities, with lower operating costs, no unions, and a better appreciation for employment positions by people. Things have to balance out.
"The low fares airline."

mah584jr

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:45 am

From a business perspective this all makes sense, but from a personal perspective AA somehow feels a little less prestigious to me after this move.

Meanwhile over at Delta:

0-899 MILES
Enjoy light complimentary snacks, like your choice of cookie, pretzel or peanuts, on flights up to 250 miles and a heartier selection of savory and healthy snacks on flights 251–899 miles.

900-1,499 MILES
Between 5:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. enjoy a full meal. Between 1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m., enjoy a hearty selection of snacks.

1,500+ MILES
On longer flights between 5:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. we’re serving up a full meal with delicious menu selections, in addition to our hearty selection of snacks, such as fresh fruit, peanuts, chips, pretzels and cookies.

-mah584jr

AirAfreak

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:48 am

My very best domestic flight in First Class was a USAirways flight (pre-HP) from Charlotte to Los Angeles on a 757 on Christmas Eve many years ago. I have also flown Domestic First Class on a DC-10 with AA and had a pleasant service, too. So, please kindly note USAirways is fully capable of doing a wonderful First Class Service!  

Anyone that uses the term "SkyPesos," for example, can also be deemed insensitive/inappropriate so I would kindly suggest everyone to "lighten up" a little and move on as I am sure we have all done our fare share of insults in our lifetimes. In other words: Don't judge someone because they sin different than you.

Back to Topic: At the end of the day, this is a business decision and we must all adapt as it is the consumer whom has mostly voted with their wallets and not their hearts. We are in 2014 and this announcement regarding meal services are a result of airline passengers supporting the likes of Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit, for example.

As a passenger, I will always be true to Delta Airlines at any cost (within the USA), however, I am very hopeful for all the employees at the new American Airlines and I think down the road American Airlines can return to its' former glory once again and really be something special in the air!  

I'm cheering for you American Airlines!!!

Bon Voyage,

AirAfreak  
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

EricR

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:52 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 49):

The more serious cuts - elimination of meals on post-8pm transcon flights

I don't understand why such a focus on meals after 8pm. It's not good for the digestive system to eat so late in the evening. In addition, I would rather have a nice, fresh meal on the ground than a reheated meal on an airplane. This is really much ado about nothing.

RyanairGuru

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:59 am

Quoting mah584jr (Reply 51):
Meanwhile over at Delta

Is that not the same thing? Other than meals on transcons until 9pm, I'm really struggling to find any substantive differences.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:01 am

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 50):
The market can't support certain aspects of service anymore. Sometimes companies have to cut service in order to be profitable. If we were in certain parts of the world - then companies would be able to provide more amenities, with lower operating costs, no unions, and a better appreciation for employment positions by people. Things have to balance out.

If it can't support it, why did AA report record profits during its bankruptcy turnaround while at the same time imementing improved meal service?

Quoting EricR (Reply 53):
I don't understand why such a focus on meals after 8pm. It's not good for the digestive system to eat so late in the evening. In addition, I would rather have a nice, fresh meal on the ground than a reheated meal on an airplane. This is really much ado about nothing.

I regularly eat dinner at 9, so is hardly call 8 late, but that varies by individual.

Appropriately so, AA offers a very different menu on 8pm+ Trans-con departures, a choice between a full meal, a soup and salad, or a fruit and cheese plate. Not everybody might have time to grab dinner between leaving work at 6 and rushing to the airport to catch an 8.30 or 9p flight. If you want something light, get the soup and salad, and if you don't want a meal, there's a fruit and cheese plate.
a.

mah584jr

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:16 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 54):
Is that not the same thing? Other than meals on transcons until 9pm, I'm really struggling to find any substantive differences.

I agree they're not all that different but what stood out to me is:

Delta

900-1,499 MILES
Between 5:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. enjoy a full meal. Between 1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m., enjoy a hearty selection of snacks.

vs.

American

On flights approximately 2 to 2 hours and 45 minutes, we will offer our Lite Bites snack basket, which includes fresh fruit, breakfast breads or sandwiches, packaged snacks and more.

ldvaviation

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:08 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 42):
And of course I'm angry - an airline that I've been very loyal to and that I've always had excellent experiences on, including a wonderful redeye to Miami that I took last night, is being stripped of what it made it a cut above the rest. That's very upsetting. It's not just first class service - it's everywhere all around.

Compared to its peers, AA's frequent flyer program and its meal windows are much too generous. There was bound to be a correction.

Personally speaking, I am not an EXP, but my partner who has an EQP to EQM ratio of 1.47 is. His cents to miles ratio is an even greater multiple, much greater of AA's average yield. So, he's arguably one of AA's HVC's.

He does not share your view of things. He's happy with the plan to expand meals on longer flights. He could care less about getting a meal on a redeye or a flight shorter than 2 hrs. He is quite happy with the new International J hard product. Together, we regret the increase in miles for awards, but we have so many miles it hardly matters to us. In short, not everyone is upset with the changes and thinks the sky is falling.

AA767400

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:46 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 55):
If it can't support it, why did AA report record profits during its bankruptcy turnaround while at the same time imementing improved meal service?

Those profits were achieved by way of eliminating expensive labor contracts. Obviously - US sees the need to eliminate more expensive food service components, and replace them with lower cost items like the basket items. I also find that the most vocal about these changes, are those that long for the upgrade each time they fly.

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 57):
Compared to its peers, AA's frequent flyer program and its meal windows are much too generous. There was bound to be a correction.

Absolutely. It was bound to happen in my opinion.

Interestingly enough - I flew DL 4 years ago on their last ATL-SAN of the night in F, and there was no meal service whatsoever. Just a basket with fruit, and snacks.
"The low fares airline."

lpdal

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:00 am

I believe the wicker basket of snacks is becoming more prevalent nowadays in place of a meal. Dissapointing, yes, but AA is no different than the other legacies/USA airlines in that they need to cut costs to stay in the game. Just yesterday, I was parsing through DL/UA/AA/US offerings out of FLL and I'm seeing more of the word "Refreshments" and less and less of the words "Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner". And then a huge pet peeve on mine when looking through flight options is when a flight operated by an interesting type, such as a 753, has refreshments as the meal option, and an A320 has "Dinner"!

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

RyanairGuru

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:04 am

Quoting mah584jr (Reply 55):
On flights approximately 2 to 2 hours and 45 minutes
Quoting mah584jr (Reply 55):
900-1,499 MILES

How far is 2:45? I was thinking about 1,000 miles, in which case there isn't much difference, but I could be off with that.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:08 am

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 56):
He's happy with the plan to expand meals on longer flights

Nothing is being expanded, and longer flights which now have made-to-order sundaes and three meal choices are having that discontinued, replaced with two meal choices and pre-made ice cream. Not a big deal maybe, but sad to see AA continually lower its service standards. The biggest change is that the enhanced trans-con service is being discontinued across the entire network except MIA/JFK-SFO/LAX and JFK-SEA/SAN.

As for a meal on a short flight - it's not a huge problem when you are, say, flying between just Dallas and Denver, but how about if you are flying between Charlotte and Denver via Dallas with a 45 minute connection? Suddenly, that meal makes a difference. It wasn't as a big deal with US, because without a mid-continent hub, it didn't see many people connecting between two short 2/2.5-hour segments.
a.

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:35 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 58):
Just yesterday, I was parsing through DL/UA/AA/US offerings out of FLL and I'm seeing more of the word "Refreshments" and less and less of the words "Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner".

Funnily enough, those same flights may have meals from MIA. AA does not serve meals on FLLPHL, but does serve them on MIAPHL.
a.

chrisair

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 am

Any word on whether the PHX-DFW/PDX/SEA flights will get the snack basket or meal treatment?

Quoting EricR (Reply 52):
It's not good for the digestive system to eat so late in the evening. In addition, I would rather have a nice, fresh meal on the ground than a reheated meal on an airplane.

Not everyone has the opportunity to eat at "normal" meal times. I've been stuck in traffic in PDX more times than I care to admit and had to grab a salad/sandwich at the airport, otherwise my dinner is two cookies on my AS flight. Besides what might be "late in the evening" to you, is a perfectly normal dinner time for someone else (look at the Argentinians or Spaniards).

No doubt a meal on the ground is better, although "fresher" might be a relative term. Most airport food is trucked in because they don't have the proper kitchen facilities in the airport.

[Edited 2014-08-04 21:56:28]

lpdal

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:50 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 61):

Hub to hub flights have exceptions within the meal policy I see. For example, I saw FLL-ORD-EWR on UA, ORD-EWR has meals because the flight is between two hubs. Now that AA owns US and their hubs, I'm guessing MIAPHL falls under that category.

I just wish MIA was easier to get to. Much more carriers than FLL, the AA Hub, and everything is scaled up and modern. I don't know how much a cab fare is from Lauderdale by the Sea, but I'm guessing it's around $100 USD.

Back to the meals, is AA the last airline to serve warm nuts before they give you the meal tray? AFAIK neither DL nor UA does this. UA however, brings around a bread basket (not sure if Delta has one). I've seen warm chocolate chip cookies served on UA but I've never been on a dinner or lunch flight, so I'm guessing I'll have to wait until then.

-LPDAL

jasoncrh

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:59 am

Overall I think people are making a huge deal about nothing. AA will still have the best F meal service (blows UA out of the water) and still overall has an excellent value proposition. I'm not surprised they're doing this given then state of the industry - they cant rest on their laurels. They have to continue to look for ways to lower their costs. I do not see this as been an offensive/ intolerable way to do so.

uote=MAH4546,reply=60]Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 56):
He's happy with the plan to expand meals on longer flights

Nothing is being expanded, and longer flights which now have made-to-order sundaes and three meal choices are having that discontinued, replaced with two meal choices and pre-made ice cream. Not a big deal maybe, but sad to see AA continually lower its service standards. The biggest change is that the enhanced trans-con service is being discontinued across the entire network except MIA/JFK-SFO/LAX and JFK-SEA/SAN.

As for a meal on a short flight - it's not a huge problem when you are, say, flying between just Dallas and Denver, but how about if you are flying between Charlotte and Denver via Dallas with a 45 minute connection? Suddenly, that meal makes a difference. It wasn't as a big deal with US, because without a mid-continent hub, it didn't see many people connecting between two short 2/2.5-hour segments. [/quote]

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:01 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 63):
Hub to hub flights have exceptions within the meal policy I see. For example, I saw FLL-ORD-EWR on UA, ORD-EWR has meals because the flight is between two hubs. Now that AA owns US and their hubs, I'm guessing MIAPHL falls under that category.

FLLPHL is 992 miles and MIAPHL is 1,013, so the latter gets meals. MIADCA is hub-to-hub, but will lose meal service this fall. That is perhaps the most significant route losing meal service, IMO. But AA has a monopoly, what does it care?

These changes won't personally affect me. Of the routes that I frequent, only one, LAXDEN, is seeing it's meals eliminated (and even then I maybe fly that route 3 times in a year, so I use "frequent" lightly). These meal service cuts alone are not why I'm leaving AA. It represents a cultural shift at the company that I don't wish to be part of nor support; other airlines offer a much better value proposition than "the new American," and that's where I'll spend my travel dollars. Really looking forward to check out JetBlue's mint product especially.

[Edited 2014-08-04 23:12:53]
a.

lpdal

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:12 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 65):

On my next trip out to TPA I'm probably going to take US's new service from MIA in revenue F. Looks like prices are $400 on US MIA-TPA-MIA, and $50-$100 more on AA's service. Former uses an A319, latter uses a 738, and I'm still conflicted on which to take. On one hand, I want to catch as many regs and flights on US before they're gone, but on the other hand, I still have not tried AA's 738 hard product yet and hopefully if I booked it, I would get a registration that is still chrome. Maybe I could book one way in US First and the way back in AA First so I can catch both...

-LPDAL

kngkyle

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:33 am

I've just spent the last 15 minutes cleaning up this topic. I understand that opinions are strong here but let's try to remain civil and respectful. Remember that employees from both airlines frequent this forum and should not be subject to derogatory terms being thrown at them and their peers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos