Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AAplat4life

RE: New AA First Class Meal Service Announcement

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:38 am

From an article: "We looked at what the customers wanted, and found a good number of customers didn’t want a full meal on a flight less than 2 hours,” Norton said in an interview." Referring to Casey Norton.

To say that I find this statement to be lacking in credibility is an understatement. Maybe he looked at 1 or 2 passengers on a flight and multiplied it by the total number of AA domestic flights per day and came up with a good number of people.

us330

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:08 am

Quoting AAplat4life (Reply 50):

From an article: "We looked at what the customers wanted, and found a good number of customers didn’t want a full meal on a flight less than 2 hours,” Norton said in an interview." Referring to Casey Norton.

To say that I find this statement to be lacking in credibility is an understatement

It's intentionally vague. Norton doesn't say "majority" or any other term referring to a more clearly defined set of numerical values. "A good number of customers" could mean as few as two people, since he refers to customers in the plural. The majority of AA's customers could very well want a full meal on a flight less than 2 hours. It's corporate-speak for, "we were planning on making the cuts anyway, but we need to spin this as a response to supposed customer opinions."

With the exception of more legroom and free alcohol, how exactly is AA's First product different than JetBlue's normal coach product?

And AA's product is indeed slipping. I flew DFW-HNL in business within the past month. Though you were given "a choice" of two entrees according to the menu, they only carried one type of entree for those that didn't pre-select their meal.

Continental

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Quoting nonrevman (Reply 11):
So to sum this up, the First Class dining experience will be similar to coach class 15 years ago. Wow.

Actually, below coach class 15 years ago. I remember flying MSP-ORD and receiving a box with a full sandwich, chips, carrots, cookie and a drink.

AABB777

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Will AA still offer the enhanced Flagship transcon meal service on flights such as DCA-LAX and BOS-LAX?

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 53):

Will AA still offer the enhanced Flagship transcon meal service on flights such as DCA-LAX and BOS-LAX?

No. That will be limited to certain MIA and JFK transcons.
a.

crAAzy

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 45):

I just wish MIA was easier to get to. Much more carriers than FLL, the AA Hub, and everything is scaled up and modern. I don't know how much a cab fare is from Lauderdale by the Sea, but I'm guessing it's around $100 USD

Much cheaper to catch cab to Tri-Rail and take it into the MIA station (or currently Hialeah station then shuttle bus to MIA).

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 48):

On my next trip out to TPA I'm probably going to take US's new service from MIA in revenue F. Looks like prices are $400 on US MIA-TPA-MIA, and $50-$100 more on AA's service.

Another option would be to take cheaper AA flight and using extra money to pre-reserve MCE seats on AA.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 55):
Quoting LPDAL (Reply 48):

On my next trip out to TPA I'm probably going to take US's new service from MIA in revenue F. Looks like prices are $400 on US MIA-TPA-MIA, and $50-$100 more on AA's service.

Another option would be to take cheaper AA flight and using extra money to pre-reserve MCE seats on AA.

With him, I'm pretty sure it's first or nothing!   Wish I could be like that 
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

crAAzy

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:23 pm

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 56):

With him, I'm pretty sure it's first or nothing! Wish I could be like that

Ahh - thanks I totally misread his post on multiple levels!

While F is always nice, it would depend on the coach prices for these flights as I've found it's not all that unusual for AA's discounted F prices to be cheaper than it's coach prices on some flights/routes when using AA.com and a $400 RT F ticket probably isn't that far off what a coach fare would be on this route.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 57):
While F is always nice, it would depend on the coach prices for these flights as I've found it's not all that unusual for AA's discounted F prices to be cheaper than it's coach prices on some flights/routes when using AA.com and a $400 RT F ticket probably isn't that far off what a coach fare would be on this route.

Yeah, I thought 400 seemed liked a pretty good price for F.  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

ckfred

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:29 pm

The cutbacks in F service started long before this announcement.

In the late 90s, I flew BOS-ORD in F, departing BOS around 5pm. First, I had a salad. Then, the salad plate was replaced with the entree plate. (I was flying D3 with and ORD pilot. By the time the paying passengers had ordered, all that was left was filet mignon.) Then, the dessert was served, which was a slice of chocolate cake.

In 2003, flying F from ORD to SEA, we started with a Greek salad (the movie was "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", so the Geek salad made sense). Then came the entree, followed by make-your-own sundaes (which the F/As had to make in the galley due to moderate turbulence).

By 2006, the meals were being served in F from the serving cart, rather than carried out 2 at a time. On lunch flights (MCO-STL in 2009 and PHX-ORD in 2010), it was salad with slices of roast beef and a pasta dish. In 2011, the choice going both ways for lunch on ORD-SEA was a salad or a cheeseburger. Dessert was plated, rather than the make-your-own sundae.

While people gripe about the fact that they often have to eat at the airport, or carry food on board, because of the cut backs in meal service in Y, food offerings at airports have gotten a lot better. In the AA terminal at ORD, there are restaurants operated by Wolfgang Puck and Rick Bayless. MIA has mostly local restaurants on Concourse D. There are BBQ restaurants in every terminal at DFW. One of them, the Salt Lick, has been featured a number of times on travel shows on cable television.

It may be that the airlines are realizing that with airport dining improving, they don't have to try and dazzle F passengers as they did, when airport dining was often a mediocre diner and a hot dog stand.

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 59):
The cutbacks in F service started long before this announcement.

AA actually started an enhanced F product last year that is now being eliminated.
a.

crAAzy

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 60):

AA actually started an enhanced F product last year that is now being eliminated.

What exactly were these enhancements?

eastern747

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:28 pm

AA and real First class=oxie moron. The two don't go together. IMHO

ldvaviation

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 42):
As for a meal on a short flight - it's not a huge problem when you are, say, flying between just Dallas and Denver, but how about if you are flying between Charlotte and Denver via Dallas with a 45 minute connection? Suddenly, that meal makes a difference. It wasn't as a big deal with US, because without a mid-continent hub, it didn't see many people connecting between two short 2/2.5-hour segments.

Again, if the margins were so great on those short flights alone or connected, the cuts would not have been necessary. What we are seeing is an airline matching service to the premium paid.

At one end of the premium continuum, AA is improving international J to world-class standards; on the other, AA is substituting snacks for meals. In relative terms, it makes no sense to offer LAX-LHR type service (or anything close to it) on DEN-DFW-CLT.

[Edited 2014-08-05 10:36:31]

jc2354

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:07 pm

I've been travelling frequently the past few months between LAS and BHM. Of course, I prefer WN as they offer the only non-stop flight, but with short notice, the flight is always full. I've done AA through DFW a few times. It's just my opinion, but it seems that every AA employee I encountered were in a bad mood, rude, unprofessional, and just didn't want to be there. Once, reluctantly I had to return on US by BHM-CLT-LAS. Because of previous experiences with US, they were always my last choice. Boy, things have changed. From check-in to baggage claim, it was an unexpected and pleasant experience. The CRJ-900 from BHM to CLT was clean, modern, comfortable ride with two outstanding flight attendants. I paid for an upgrade to F on the A321 from CLT to LAS. From what little I could see from 1A, the cabin appeared in clean and well kept condition. There was no IFE, but gogo internet was available. We were offered pre-departure drink/cocktail service. After take-off, there were hot towels and choice of drinks. I was really surprised that there was a dinner service, as all I was expecting was a snack. Two entrée choices were available, an oriental chicken, or the pasta selection of spinach ravioli. The dinner was offered on a tray that included an appetizer, salad, entrée, and hot roll. The ravioli was very good (I've since had the sesame chicken, and an oriental orange glazed beef, both very good as well). After all the dinner trays were collected, a dessert of coconut cake, or a chocolate mousse was offered. I chose the cake, but the flight attendant brought me a mousse, too. Both were very good.

Sorry, didn't mean to do a semi-trip report, but I was really pleased with the new US, and have flown them exclusively the last 3 times to and from BHM. Always, very professional, friendly, and outstanding service. Far superior to AA in my opinion.

Jack
If not now, then when?

HPRamper

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 52):
Actually, below coach class 15 years ago. I remember flying MSP-ORD and receiving a box with a full sandwich, chips, carrots, cookie and a drink.

Not even 15 years ago. I remember 10-12 years ago connecting PDX-MSP and getting a bagel sandwich, fresh fruit and cereal in coach. And the ticket was 250 bucks round-trip PDX-MSP-DTW-BGR-DTW-PDX. How times change.

slvrblt

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Ah, as Shakespeare said in Macbeth....the sound and the fury............. this is putting a lot of 'upgrades' noses out of joint. But really? Domestic USA flights, what's the big deal?? Speaking as an employee, it's rare to get first anymore. You're really that worked up over food? Like a poster above noted, with the great airport restaurant offerings now, it really doesn't matter. Get a great meal to take on board, an exit row or MCE, and I'm all set. Many of the discounted first class fares nowadays fill the front cabins up. 15-20 ExecPlt and Plt on a standby list to upgrade? C'mon. get real. Buy the ticket.

That being said, back to topic.......race to the bottom?? I don't know - I think that's the tantrum reaction of the ''I didn't get my upgrade.'' There's no doubt today's first is not the first class of the 70's, or even the 90's. I remember when filet mignons and other delectables were as common as Coca-colas in first, on flights 2+ hours long. But people don't want to actually pay for that. Simple. And upgrades don't pay the bills. So, F cabins shrink, or go away, and the offerings change to fit markets. People eat differently now, too. Personally, just my opinion, I think premium cabins could be provided on international flights only; that's the only place passengers really need and appreciate the extra room, service and/or amenities, and will pay for it.

I'm not really sure yet where the ''new'' AA is going. I think it's still trying to find itself. It does seem to be going about it slowly and methodically though, better than United seems to have done. I'm not going to discuss a lot of internal stuff on here - but I'll say this - policy wise, and service wise, there are a lot of people in the company paying detailed attention to every single aspect of the *AA vs US way* of doing things. Processes are still evolving; and it's not to say something may not change again if market forces change or a lot of customers write and say they don't like a particular something. But these changes are being brought about very thoughtfully and methodically.

Decisions come out, and new training comes out afterward. One is called, 'adopt and go, AA,' meaning the AA way of doing things or the AA policy will stand, in the new company. Or, it's 'adopt and go, US,' meaning US's policy or whatever will stand. Then, there's a hybrid of the two; and finally, some totally new way neither carrier used before. So, one by one, everything is being carefully examined. I'll say this about Parker and his team - there doesn't seem to be any knee jerk reactions. We needed some new, fresh management, and we got it. Fasten your seatbelts.

This has nothing to do with you getting a lobster in first class, after 8pm of course.   But I'm cautiously optimistic about the new AA.
..everything works out in the end.

MAH4546

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 61):
What exactly were these enhancements?

*Elimination of cold meals on trans-con lunches and addition of third meal option on trans-con and sundaes on trans-con lunches (this enhancement remains on select MIA/JFK transcons).
*Addition of actual meal service (not just salad or fruit/cheese) to post-8pm trans-cons and redeyes.
*A few select routes gained meal service (e.g. DTW-LGA, DEN-DFW; all LAX-DEN frequencies).
*Elimination of "fast food" selections. No more burgers, pizzas, etc.

And overall just the quality of the meals improved during the transition. The chicken and steaks especially were of noticeably improved quality.
a.

SouthernDC9

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Regardless of what meal service is or is not offered on any given flight, in first (on regionals/most narrow-bodies, anyway) you will always have the pleasure of boarding first and then watching the riff raff shuffle back to their puny little seats in steerage. #WelcomeAboardPeons
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

N62NA
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Quoting slvrblt (Reply 66):
I think premium cabins could be provided on international flights only; that's the only place passengers really need and appreciate the extra room, service and/or amenities,

I think that would work for most flights in Europe, but the USA is pretty big and to endure coach on 6 hour transcons without even the choice to purchase F seems unreasonable.

aajfksjubklyn

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:26 am

All of this is petty. So petty it's ridiculous. It's a total parkerism. Exec plats who get upgraded such as myself, fly AA a lot and spend well over 30k a year on AA - except international where I can fly business. Irregardless of whether I buy a first or coach ticket is meaningless. I give them a lot of money for one person on a year over year basis (been exec plat for 11 years). I never use a mile for a free ticket- hotels are a better value w redemption discounts The last thing I need is another bag of chips with the dip- to quote a rap song from a while back. (Showing my age). Anyway, it's petty. Real petty and a BAD move. The media are having a field day with inaccuracies about this btw.

newhaven

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:02 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 59):
It may be that the airlines are realizing that with airport dining improving, they don't have to try and dazzle F passengers as they did

I do agree with you ... but I also think that since they are just totally changing the product that used to be appropriately labeled "First Class" to something that really only means a larger seat and free cocktails ... a more appropriate name would be "Front Cabin" .... and that's it. Its not anything special any more ... so ditch the term "First Class". Those days are long gone.

AA is now USAirways.

AAplat4life

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 am

These changes will not last forever. Once AA institutes many merger-related changes, DL and UA will respond. If they match what AA does, which personally I doubt but time will tell, then AA will be forced to make changes. Some of AA's new policies might work for the PHX, DFW , CLT, PHL and MIA markets, but less so for the other markets where AA operates in a more competitive environment. Frankly, with Southwest on the cusp of increasing its market share out of DAL to key destinations, one would think that AA would be more careful about not alienating its better customers out of DFW. It is disconcerting to see that the new AA management remains clueless.

brilondon

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Ah yes, airline food, yum...
Do you think that you will be paying the same low fares by AA offering meals?

I don't really like the crap they pass off as food on airplanes especially on domestic flights. Why do we when we fly form Hawaii have to suffer even more than the other long domestic flights? The food on AA is not great but it is palatable, on DL it is decent and so is UA. The rest of the airlines can throw out their crappy offerings. HA also servers ok food selections but they all taste like warmed over leftovers. There is not enough salt in the the Salt Desert in Utah to make these meals taste good. Now I know that my standards are quite high so the meals may be suitable for others just not me.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

TWA1985

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Forgive me if I missed this, but what is the current hot meal cut off in First? Isn't it two hours?
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

Osubuckeyes

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Quoting AAplat4life (Reply 72):

AA won't have to make any changes and it will likely work for them anyway because they don't need to differentiate their product from DL or UA anymore as competition is increasingly limited. This is just the beginning higher fares, combined with lower levels of service.

ckfred

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 52):

I don't think AA every had a boxed lunch. If I recall correctly, short flights on both AA and DL had a bag lunch that passengers picked up in the jet bridge or the gate. AA had the Bistro Bag, while DL had the Delta Deli. I only recall UA having a boxed lunch, like something you might find from a take-out restaurant.

Now, I do remember in the early and mid 90s, AA having blue plastic baskets, made to look like wicker.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 67):
*Elimination of "fast food" selections. No more burgers, pizzas, etc.

The irony is that a lot of people liked the burgers and pizza. The pizza goes back to the 1990s, when they were Pizzaria Uno's mini deep-dish pizzas, used mostly on either short flights or flights that left after 7pm. I thought the burger was pretty good. Chain fast-food restaurants could learn a thing or two from AA about selecting tomatoes, lettuce, and onions for a burger.

Quoting newhaven (Reply 71):
I do agree with you ... but I also think that since they are just totally changing the product that used to be appropriately labeled "First Class" to something that really only means a larger seat and free cocktails ... a more appropriate name would be "Front Cabin" .... and that's it. Its not anything special any more ... so ditch the term "First Class". Those days are long gone.

But then, I've been to restaurants that claimed they were fine dining, becasue they decided to put white tablecloths on each table, put the wait staff in dress shirts and ties, and add $4 to the price of every entree. Yet, the food was no different than when the staff was more casual and the tabletops were Formica.

And back in the 1990s, AA had some sort of stuffed chicken breast in F. The pilots used to gripe about "hydraulic chicken."

eastern747

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Back in the day, 50-80s, airport restaurants were actually pretty good. In fact people would go to airports to eat and watch airplanes. When I started with EA in 68, Dca had a great white tablecloth restaurant on the second floor of the main terminal with huge glass windows overlooking the ramp.But for you youngsters out there, the real fast food, crap eating places were just getting started and wasn't the norm. But then life was very different, as Moms stayed home and were house keepers, and had dinners ready when Dad came home. The majority of my time at EA was in dining services, around 15 out of 25 years. I've seen the whole thing from good stuff to nothing. First Class was filled with people who paid for first class and none of the upgrade crap existed. Don't forget we served full meals B/L/D from places like FLL-ATL, or ORD ATL. Flights from Atl to LAX, especially in F were fantastic. There was also a time when we offered a service called "Famous Restaurants" from some city pairs. ORD-MIA, NYC-MIA. etc. The greatest restaurants of each city controled the meals. I also remember a service on MIA-NYC that had the First Class folks choose their entree prior to boarding, usually steak or lobster. That didn't last long as everybody changed their minds on board. Also many say airline food is bland. Well, go fiqure....you have 100 passengers in coach and 100 different tastes. You do the best you can. But also remember flying back then was expensive, very expensive. Airlines had a bit more money to spend on amenities.

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Amazingly, AA has also eliminated All-American bourbon from their drinks cart. Bourbon! For whiskeys, it's now down to CC, JD, or Dewar's, none of them a real bourbon. Jim Beam is gone from the Spirits menu, as is cognac from the Brandy and Liqueurs menu.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/duringFlight/dining/onboardBeverages.jsp
International Homo of Mystery

MAH4546

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 78):

Amazingly, AA has also eliminated All-American bourbon from their drinks cart. Bourbon! For whiskeys, it's now down to CC, JD, or Dewar's, none of them a real bourbon. Jim Beam is gone from the Spirits menu, as is cognac from the Brandy and Liqueurs menu.

Many (but not all) recent liquor changes are out of AA's control. A large amount of companies have discontinued bottling their brands in mini-bottles, including Glenlevit, Absolut and Kahlua. Can't serve what isn't offered. On the bright side, that's why AA switched Vodka brand to Tito's.
a.

nomadic

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 77):
Back in the day, 50-80s, airport restaurants were actually pretty good. In fact people would go to airports to eat and watch airplanes. When I started with EA in 68, Dca had a great white tablecloth restaurant on the second floor of the main terminal with huge glass windows overlooking the ramp

My dad worked for TWA at JFK and we did the same thing. The International Arrivals Building had the famous Brass Rail restaurant with great views. The Eastern terminal had something similar. TWA had the Paris Cafe for great light meals. We would eat at these restaurants just for fun. When we traveled we could rely on a nice meal in flight. TWA always had food in both classes, even on short flight. One of my favorites was french toast and Canadian bacon served in F on a 45 minute flight from LAX to SFO! We won't see anything like that again.

But I have to say my last trip in F on AA not long ago (ANC-DFW-JFK) was not bad. The meal presentation and quality was fine and the warm nuts were unlimited, lol.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos