Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airvan00

RE: Australian Aviation Thread - Part 103

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:37 am

^^ I can only surmise that it's something to do with the cleared path in case of a go around. Maybe the city buildings are a problem.

IndianicWorld

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:45 am

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 49):
Was not aware, but the question then is why? Why restrict a runway, especially given MEL successfully uses its shorter runway for ops of aircraft larger.
Quoting Airvan00 (Reply 50):
^^ I can only surmise that it's something to do with the cleared path in case of a go around. Maybe the city buildings are a problem.

I would say that this would be the case. Just because a runway is a similar size does not make the operating environment the same.

The built up environment around SYD and MEL and very different, so what you say Airvan00 is likely on the money.

bunumuring

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:16 am

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 42):
Yes Ben anything is possible and this was mooted a year or 2 ago as well i can recall, and don't forget Kenya Airways is also planning Perth flights by 2018 i recall.

... And Ethiopian Airlines is also apparently interested in Australian services. There were rumors swirling around a year or so ago, with a similar timeframe to Kenya Airways' proposed start of services. The rumors around ET were not as strong, and had no official 'backing', whereas someone (I can't remember who) from Kenya Airways confirmed their interest in Perth. This was before the disastrous fire in Nairobi Airport. I believe Dreamliners were mentioned as the operating aircraft. ET could use 777-200LRs or Dreamliners I guess. Both airlines would have a shot at success, and be able to link Australia to the Horn of Africa and places west without too much trouble. I certainly would be interested in using either airline to fly to Europe, as something a little different, and would definitely use them to travel to Morocco which is my #1 most desired holiday destination ATM.
Can anyone see Qantas ever expand in Africa, remembering their Zimbabwe services (initially flown as a South African alternate during apartheid years)? Sadly, I can't unless it's a codeshare with the likes of KQ or ET.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Sethor

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:38 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 48):
PER-HNL makes very little sense even if the A330NEO can make it. Yields on that long-haul mission to a leisure destination would make it a challenge at the best of times.

It would need to rely on people willing to pay a premium to fly the route to transfer to HA's mainland US destinations, which is unlikely.

Looking at a market in its peak can be very misleading. Whether or not PER can sustain the amount of capacity it has today in a few years time, especially when the real tapering off from the mining industry occurs, will be very interesting to watch.

I agree I can't see a 12hr+ leisure route working, PER already has great weather plus you have tropical South East Asia 4-7hrs away. Even with great connections into North America I can't see big demand like PER has for European destinations.

allrite

Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 52):
... And Ethiopian Airlines is also apparently interested in Australian services.

There has certainly been demand previously for Ethiopian to provide a service to Australia.
I like artificial banana essence!

RyanairGuru

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Quoting sethor (Reply 53):
I agree I can't see a 12hr+ leisure route working, PER already has great weather plus you have tropical South East Asia 4-7hrs away

The market will be there for two weekly flight, maybe 500 people a week, no problem. The question comes down to yield.

PER-HNL makes very little sense

If they can price it at a revenue premium of a couple of hundred dollars above SYD they could be on to a winner. If any airline could make it work it would be HA, they are as ruthless as Emirates when it comes to expansion and keeping costs down.

It would need to rely on people willing to pay a premium to fly the route to transfer to HA's mainland US destinations

I'm sorry, but that is precisely how not to market the route. If you can restrict capacity enough to pick up the "premium O&D" then they could well charge a premium compared to flights to LAX, whereas to the Mainland they will not only have to price themselves below the market but also haul passengers an extra 6 hours.

Quoting Airvan00 (Reply 44):
34R is a bit short and unsuitable for most international aircraft.

As others have said, it's length is technically not a problem, but it seems likely that you'd be right about the go around concern.

This reminds me of being completely shocked to find us landing on 25 in a fully loaded A330, and then been even more shocked when a 777 landed right behind us.

Quoting Airvan00 (Reply 46):
34 R was restricted to 767 and below

Which is, quite simply, stupid. They should demolish anything that is causing a go around concern.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

flylonghaul

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:33 pm

I have watched UA 747s use 16L before for takeoffs but cannot remember whether I have ever watched them land that way.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 55):

This reminds me of being completely shocked to find us landing on 25 in a fully loaded A330, and then been even more shocked when a 777 landed right behind us.

Widebody arrivals are fairly common on 25 and 07. But its a great view  

I was extremely shocked when I watched QF1 to DXB takeoff from 07.
Similarly so watching the EY 346 takeoff using 25. Standing as close to the 07 threshold as is legally possible, I thought it was going to clip the landing lights.
Flying for Pleasure

skyhawkmatthew

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:45 pm

This is a pretty normal occurrence - I live in the eastern suburbs and love watching the heavies on approach so low over the suburbs! When they're running 25, everything lands on it.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

IndianicWorld

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:25 am

I'm sorry, but that is precisely how not to market the route. If you can restrict capacity enough to pick up the "premium O&D" then they could well charge a premium compared to flights to LAX, whereas to the Mainland they will not only have to price themselves below the market but also haul passengers an extra 6 hours.

You wont pick up significant demand to fly PER-HNL at a decent yield. T

The only way to make it appealing is to promote transfers to multiple US destinations, which will hopefully pick up some premium pax looking to not fly via the Australian east-coast hubs

You may see it as the way not to market the route, but a flight of that length to a leisure destination with low O&D will not be a winner. "Premium O&D" on that sector just won't be sufficient enough to even fill a couple of flights weekly at a viable level.

At the end of the day though, I can't see this being a starter sorry to say.

Ditzyboy

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:21 am

When I worked there, 34 R was restricted to 767 and below.

Recently I have occupied Qantas 332s using 34R for takeoff to Melbourne and landing ex Perth. The QF568 redeye often uses 34R, whilst international wide bodies are using 34L.

There is a photo in the database of a Qantas 744 operating QF5 using 34R to depart whilst 34L was not in use due to a BA 744 with a suspected cargo fire. It was in the early 00s.

bunumuring

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:27 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 58):
At the end of the day though, I can't see this being a starter sorry to say.

Mate,
I agree with you. I really don't think it will happen.

But
... if anyone can have a go and possibly make such an 'exotic' route work, it would be Hawaiian. They have demonstrated an ability and mindset to have a go and expand with new routes, and react quickly to market conditions. If Perth-Auckland attracts some onwards LAX-SFO connecting traffic on ANZ, why can't Hawaiian attract the same market via Honolulu? And before you ask, no-I have no idea what the passenger figures are in this market.
Hawaii seems to be a more premium holiday destination than the near-Asia destinations from Perth. A lot further away, granted, but with a strong Aussie dollar and onwards connections throughout the islands and west coast USA, it just just just might work!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

Airvan00

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:41 am

Quoting Ditzyboy (Reply 59):

When I worked there, 34 R was restricted to 767 and below.

Recently I have occupied Qantas 332s using 34R for takeoff to Melbourne and landing ex Perth. The QF568 redeye often uses 34R, whilst international wide bodies are using 34L.

There is a photo in the database of a Qantas 744 operating QF5 using 34R to depart whilst 34L was not in use due to a BA 744 with a suspected cargo fire. It was in the early 00s.

Did you read reply 47?
In unusual circumstances or an emergency you can do anything. But the "book" still says 767 and below.

RyanairGuru

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:22 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 60):
why can't Hawaiian attract the same market via Honolulu?

The main reason is inferior product, a lack of frequent flyer connectivity, and sub-daily operation. If you are flying from PER to LAX in J you probably want something better than domestic F. Even in Y I wouldn't necessarily see them being able to command any price premium. HA would serve a similar traffic flow to FJ via NAN, and you will note that they don't actively market those connections from the East Coast.

You wont pick up significant demand to fly PER-HNL at a decent yield

In which case the route is DOA. Without that yield there is no hope for such a flight to be successful.

The only way to make it appealing is to promote transfers to multiple US destinations, which will hopefully pick up some premium pax looking to not fly via the Australian east-coast hubs

That's what NZ and CX are for.

At a sub-daily schedule with their current products in Y and J is not going to attract any "premium" passengers, they will only be taking the most price conscious.

Ultimately I do agree with you that it is unlikely, but do remember that this proposed route isn't to start for five years. Who knows what the market will look like then.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

carryon

Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:31 am

Some more photos from the A350's visit to Sydney last week (and a few from HK the week before) http://bit.ly/1lM9yHs

bunumuring

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:16 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 62):

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 60):
why can't Hawaiian attract the same market via Honolulu?

The main reason is inferior product, a lack of frequent flyer connectivity, and sub-daily operation. If you are flying from PER to LAX in J you probably want something better than domestic F. Even in Y I wouldn't necessarily see them being able to command any price premium. HA would serve a similar traffic flow to FJ via NAN, and you will note that they don't actively market those connections from the East Coast.

Hi mate,
Having never flown on Hawaiian, I can't compare service or product to ANZ etc.
As for frequent flyer, Hawaiian is a partner with Virgin Australia, who could code share on the route if desired.
Sub-daily? Yep, you bet. I can't see a possible Perth-Honolulu flight being any more than a handful per week.
It would be great, an A330neo operating a very very long flight from Perth, but not likely ...

Now, flight of fantasy stuff ... Imagine South African getting involved: Johannesburg - Perth - Honolulu! All code shared with Virgn Australia but operated by the other two! Can't imagine that there would be much of a market South Africa-Hawaii... Lol! Chances of THAT? Less than zero! Still, airlines sometime have to think outside the square to grow and prosper.

Cheers,
Bunumuring.

[Edited 2014-08-10 04:18:04]

bunumuring

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 am

Anyone have photos of the USAF E-4, C-17 and BBJ at Sydney right now? I hear security is incredibly tight.
Unfortunately, I could not get to Sydney Airport today to see them... And the sinister sleek black jet lurking around international ATM, lol...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

threefourthree

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Quoting skyhawkmatthew (Reply 57):
When they're running 25, everything lands on it.

Not always true, most times, A380s will go for 34L/16R, and CX seem to have a thing for landing on 34L/16R, rather than 25. Again, this is mostly wind dependent. If the wind is strong enough, A380s do land on 25.

On another note, related to what's been going on above, I saw today, on FlightRadar24 and listening to LiveATC, a CZ A330, and a HA A330 used 16L for landing. I was a bit confused hearing that, was thinking the CZ pilot messed up the readback, guess I was wrong. haha!

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 65):
Anyone have photos of the USAF E-4, C-17 and BBJ at Sydney right now?

I was at the airport this afternoon, saw the E-4 at domestic parking, no stairs attached, plenty of AFP around. Looked pretty fancy. Later on I went down to the Beach and saw the C-17 landing, good stuff. Later saw the C-17 parked near DHL. On LiveATC, heard the BBJ come in, SPAR55 was its callsign I believe. If you check out planeimages, there are a few images of the E-4. I imagine some pictures for the C-17 and BBJ will turn up later.

Ditzyboy

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Quoting Airvan00 (Reply 61):
Did you read reply 47?

Yes, I did read Reply 47. Did you read my post? I was onboard a Qantas 332 that departed 34R during normal operations. That was outside what was quoted.

When I worked there, 34 R was restricted to 767 and below

In addition, my experience (for normal operations) differs from what you posted in Reply 46. Cheers.

Airvan00

Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:14 pm

It doesn't matter how many thousands of examples people come up with of bigger aircraft using 16L/34R., the fact remains as quoted by Skyhawkmathew above, ( currently reply 47) it is restricted to A300/B767 and below. So every time it is not used in accordance with the rules someone has to explain.

Don't forget the building of R16L/34R was very political and the aviation minister at the time was LB and his electorate was east of the airport. So it was a hot issue 20 years ago. As the rule mentions A300, I suspect no one has tried to change it for fear of stirring up a hornets nest. Most likely the current minister is from the National party ( going on history of the years when the libs are in power) and his electorate is a long way from Sydney, so when he receives a report of a "break of the rules" for 16L 34R he is not as interested as some minister who would get a delegation of concerned citizens banging down his door.
Bottom line, enjoy the use of 16L 34R for larger aircraft.

RyanairGuru

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:46 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 64):
Hawaiian is a partner with Virgin Australia

While this is true, remember that FJ is a FF partner with QF including status credits. That still doesn't encourage many people to transit in NAN.

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 64):
could code share on the route if desired.

I guess, but even if they did it would only be as far as HNL. They won't codeshare to the mainland to not compete against themselves.

I will say it again, and keep repeating it until I am blue in the face: it is simply not possible for HA to command any yield on Australia-USA. They can, and do, make a killing on the Hawaiian O&D market, but if they go for Mainland traffic they are only competitive on bottom feeder fares. That's why they don't go for that market, from any of their Asian or Australian markets. If you don't believe me, take a look at the bigger picture, look at how they market themselves in all of their markets, consider that Mark Dunkerley is probably one of the astute airline CEOs in the world right now, look at fares between X and HNL and X and LAX, and keep going and then try and explain to me how they will be able to charge any more to the mainland than they do to HNL. That is ultimately what it comes down to, and they perceive no need to shift people 3000 miles for free.

Quoting Airvan00 (Reply 68):
when he receives a report of a "break of the rules" for 16L 34R he is not as interested as some minister who would get a delegation of concerned citizens banging down his door.

... such as Albo. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think there have been more curfew exemptions since the current government took power.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ben175

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:51 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 69):
While this is true, remember that FJ is a FF partner with QF including status credits. That still doesn't encourage many people to transit in NAN.

But why would QF passengers choose an FJ Australia-NAN-LAX service when QF offers direct flights from SYD, MEL and BNE? The benefit of HA is being able to bypass LAX and fly one-stop into ports like OAK, LAS, SMF, SEA, JFK etc.

I just got back from Hawaii and actually met alot of Australians using Honolulu as a stopover to the mainland.

DeltaB717

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:03 am

It may be outside of what was quoted but it is NOT outside the ERSA... I can't work out how to copy and paste the excerpt from the online version so feel free to go read it on Airservices website, right under the landing restrictions quoted at reply 47.

777Jet

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:04 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 65):
Anyone have photos of the USAF E-4, C-17 and BBJ at Sydney right now? I hear security is incredibly tight.

Will the 757 be in town as well at some stage???

[Edited 2014-08-10 18:04:43]
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

CXfirst

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 am

Quoting Airvan00 (Reply 61):
Did you read reply 47?
In unusual circumstances or an emergency you can do anything. But the "book" still says 767 and below.

Did you read the full reply?

It says upto 767/A300, and domestic A330's. So, the fact Ditzyboy used 16L/34R on an A330 is just normal operations.

-CXfirst

qf002

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:59 am

Quoting Airvan00 (Reply 68):
It doesn't matter how many thousands of examples people come up with of bigger aircraft using 16L/34R., the fact remains as quoted by Skyhawkmathew above, ( currently reply 47) it is restricted to A300/B767 and below. So every time it is not used in accordance with the rules someone has to explain.

The same quote also says:

"A330 type aircraft operating domestic legs may be processed to land on either of the parallel RWYs 16L/R or 34L/R."

So to say that 16L/34R is restricted to 767/A300 aircraft and below is completely incorrect.

qf2220

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:05 am

Quoting ben175 (Reply 70):
The benefit of HA is being able to bypass LAX and fly one-stop into ports like OAK, LAS, SMF, SEA, JFK etc.

Yep, to those destinations it might make sense, but to the rest of the US, PER pax are not that much better off than the options through SYD/MEL/BNE-LAX/DFW. Possibly not worth it?

DeltaB717

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:10 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 74):

To be fair, he did also say he was on an A332 taking off from 34R, which is not covered by the original excerpt from the ERSA which only deals with landings. The ERSA states (re my post at Reply 71) that:

* "INTL DEP ACFT including B767 and BLW may request or be offered DEP from RWY 16L/34R at Clearance Delivery Stage".

It also states that domestic jets to the south will use 16R or 34R.

Airvan00

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:15 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 73):
Quoting qf002 (Reply 74):
Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 76):

I originally said" when I worked there" so we are talking about 15 years ago. I probably composed that ERSA entry and was surprised that it is still in existence. Any further, lost intrest.

Dalavia

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:36 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 72):
Will the 757 be in town as well at some stage???

Yes, I saw it flying in this afternoon while I was out walking.

I checked FlightRadar24 on my phone as it flew over to check its details, but it didn't show up. I guess it was "flying dark" with the transponder switched off.

[Edited 2014-08-10 23:39:20]

skyhawkmatthew

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 am

Sorry the light's pretty awful – taken with my phone before the AFP came around the corner... there's a C-17, C-32 (757), E-4 (747) and C-40 (737).

http://i.imgur.com/xSarESE.jpg
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

qf002

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 am

Quoting Dalavia (Reply 78):
Yes, I saw it flying in this afternoon while I was out walking.

It is parked next to the E-4 and C-17 -- quite a sight seeing that little cluster while driving past.

There was also a UA 77E parked on a hard stand near General Holmes Drive, which might be related to the visit? Both of UA's daily flights had already departed for the day when I drove past around 4pm.

eaglefarm4

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:53 am

Yes we have also 2 KC-10's up here at BNE associated with all of this as well.
tourismman

Legs

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 am

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 81):
here at BNE

I wonder, why wouldn't they use a military airport for that purpose? Amberley is the same flying time, and would be a damn sight cheaper and easier, not to mention Richmond.

bunumuring

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 am

Quoting skyhawkmatthew (Reply 79):
Sorry the light's pretty awful – taken with my phone before the AFP came around the corner... there's a C-17, C-32 (757), E-4 (747) and C-40 (737).

Wow mate, thanks.
I have been sent individual pics of the planes, but I love yours the most, especially with the dramatic sky backgroumd!
Thanks,
Bunumuring.

RyanairGuru

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Some one is going to have to help me out here, what's going on in Sydney that promoted all the USAF metal?

Re BNE, I don't know why but they have a habit of sending metal there. AF1 and AF2 both went to BNE when Obama came to Canberra. Now that's a day I won't forget, take all that metal at SYD, transplant it to CBR where anything larger than a 737 is massive news, and the put me on the ramp at Fairbairn   
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Legs

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 84):
all the USAF metal?

The US Secretary of State is visiting for talks with the Government.

eaglefarm4

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 84):

The weather in BNE in winter.26 here yesterday does that answer it??? OF COURSE!

No before Rocky got their runway extended we used to have 6-7 KC135's and KC-10's every year.Mayby they got nice vibes from parking at BNE.Of course another reason is there is plenty of parking available at BNE ??
tourismman

Sydscott

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Quoting legs (Reply 85):

To expand on that actually both the US Secretary of Defence AND the US Secretary of State are here for the AUSMIN talks along with a whole host of Military Brass and Diplomats. Hence all of the transport planes.

qf2220

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 87):

Did both Secretaries fly on the same plane?

RyanairGuru

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Quoting legs (Reply 85):
Quoting Sydscott (Reply 87):
To expand on that actually both the US Secretary of Defence AND the US Secretary of State are here for the AUSMIN talks along with a whole host of Military Brass and Diplomats

I had absolutely no idea, which is shockingly embarrassing.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jupiter2

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Believe the Sec of Defense was on the E4, the Sec of State on the C32 and various hangers on the C40.

Sydscott

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:11 am

Quoting QF2220 (Reply 88):
Did both Secretaries fly on the same plane?

No. Imagine the risk of having both of them on the same plane.

Quoting jupiter2 (Reply 90):
Believe the Sec of Defense was on the E4, the Sec of State on the C32 and various hangers on the C40.

I think the C32 is virtually the only plane the Secretary of State travels on when they're abroad.

RyanairGuru

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 am

This was inevitable with increasing talk about the Federal Reserve and Bank of England finally thinking about raising interest rates, but it looks likely that the AUD is going to take a tumble.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/mone...s-almost-done-20140807-101cyg.html

Fair use extract:

Quote:
Most analysts expect the value of the Australian dollar to fall against the United States dollar and the British pound and reduce the Australian dollar’s purchasing power in those countries.

The relative interest rates among the major economies are among the most important factors that determine currency exchange rates. Generally, a higher relative interest rate supports a higher currency; though currency exchange rates are notoriously volatile and hard to predict.

One Australian dollar buys about 93 US cents now. In April last year it was buying more than 105 US cents and hit a low of 87 US cents in late January this year. However, just about every analyst expects the Australian dollar to move lower against the greenback and pound.

Shane Oliver, the chief economist at AMP Capital Investors, expects the Australian dollar to fall to US 80 cents by the end of next year.

I had been expecting this, which is why I had already bought USD for my trip to the States in December, but it will be interesting to see what impact this will have on consumer demand for flights. My biggest concern would be the continued growth of the Hawaii market, which has been premised on relatively inexpensive outbound tourism. Qantas and Jetstar appear to be relatively bullish about the market, which is a good sign, I guess. I have no doubt that they were already anticipating a decline in the AUD-USD. More broadly, this might encourage a modest rebound in inbound tourism from the USA and UK. Both have taken a hit over recent years, and while the GFC did a large part the high AUD did not help.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

777Jet

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:45 am

Quoting skyhawkmatthew (Reply 79):

Nice pic!

But... anybody have a pic of the 757 that could post???

The 757 is my fav aviation porn   j/k
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

qf2220

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 91):
No. Imagine the risk of having both of them on the same plane.

Absolutely agree! Hence the question!

tullamarine

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:13 am

Neither QF or VA have released their operating statistics for June 2014. Usually the operating stats are released within a month so we would've expected these around 31/7 at the latest. I assume that these are being held back to be incorporated into the (dire) FY14 results announcements for both in a couple of weeks. Is it normal that the June stats are held back like this and would we expect July to be released at the same time?
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Sydscott

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:33 am

Quoting tullamarine (Reply 95):
Is it normal that the June stats are held back like this and would we expect July to be released at the same time?

QF did the same thing at the mid year and withheld the traffic numbers until the results presentation when they released a couple of months worth.

allrite

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:41 am

While it's GA rather than commercial aviation, this article might amuse those who park their cars at major Australian city airports.

A bloke who works on mining sites bought himself a light aircraft and flew to Whitsunday Airport:

Quote:
"We arrived there and the bloke at the aerodrome says there's a fee for parking the plane overnight and it's 'probably a bit more expensive' than we're used to," he said.

"I thought 'Here we go, he's the sting in the tail' and said to the bloke 'Just hit me, what is it?'"

$11 a night. To park a private aircraft. Overnight. With a security patrol.
I like artificial banana essence!

DeltaB717

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:26 am

QantasLink is unveiling a Q400 (VH-LQM) today with a special livery for Recognise (the campaign to recognise Indigenous Australians in the Constitution) - all 31 Q400s will feature this livery over time.

http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/med...to-recognise-the-first-australians
http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantaslink-u...eils-new-recognise-aircraft-livery

Ironically the NT, which has probably the highest proportion of Indigenous population in Australia, looks like being the one part of the Qantas network that won't get to see this livery!

tullamarine

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:24 am

Today's Herald-Sun has a small article confirming what has long been expected. Once of the RAAF A332s will be converted into a VIP aircraft for the PM replacing the 737BBJs at the end of their current lease term. Allegedly the A332 (in VIP form) will be able to fly much further than the BBJs.

This is a good move though I understand why it is only being quietly announced. Regardless of who is in government, there will always be populist criticism of this type of expenditure.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos