Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N104UA
Topic Author

UA 3 Cabin Domestic

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:23 am

This may have previously been posted, but I believe it has been a while.

Does UA have any 3 cabin domestic flights, before the merger they regularly flew three cabin a/c between hubs (DEN-ORD, DEN-IAD, SFO-ORD, IAD-ORD). Are there any 3 cabin domestic flight now, or do 3 cabin flights now only fly intl?
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

SonomaFlyer

RE: UA 3 Cabin Domestic

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:38 am

The had three cabin p.s. a/c flying between LAX/SFO and JFK. After the cabin refresh, those a/c are now two class. The only first class flying is international and that may be going away in the next several years.

pocho

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:00 am

I believe UA is currently running an intl configured three cabin 777 between DEN/IAD.

AA737-823

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:18 am

You'll periodically see a three-class 767-300 doing flights between hubs for positioning, but it's rare.
I found one last week, while looking at bookings around Christmastime. Can't remember which hubs it was doing, but I want to say SFO-DEN- or DEN-ORD or SFO-ORD....
At this point, with CO's fleet utilization preferences, you're lucky to find widebody domestic service at all!

atcsundevil

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:35 am

As AA737-823 says, it is increasingly rare these days to even find a widebody on CONUS flights, much less a three class bird. When they do happen, they are usually operated by the B767-300, although they're usually two class when I've found them domestically. Three class B777-222s on domestic routes were very common up until about a year ago -- I loved them and routinely got upgraded to F or at least C, which kicked ass, but things have definitely changed.

A little diligence should yield you something (ok...a lot of diligence), because they do pop up here and there well ahead of time. Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas on flights between SFO-ORD and IAD-ORD are the best bet, in my experience. Around that time of year, they pull back significantly on int'l frequencies and add capacity domestically, so if you're going to find anything scheduled ahead of time and not a last-second sub, that's probably when you'd find it.

Good luck getting it on award miles though -- there may not be much R space available. You also won't be able to book economy and buy up to F unless you can seriously sweet talk a phone reservations agent to skip you over C class (I've done it a few times before). If you're trying to complimentary upgrade, you'd pretty much have to be GS to have a prayer. The only sure way will be to book on award miles if they're available or to buy into F directly.

Rdh3e

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:58 pm

In July you could have found widebodies on (min 4x/wk):

Daily 3 class 767's on ORD-EWR-ORD, morning from EWR, turn in ORD back to EWR

Daily 787 IAH-DEN which continues to NRT and then goes NRT-DEN-IAH

4x weekly 2 class 767 service IAH-DEN-IAH

Daily 2 class 767 service IAH-IAD-IAH

In addition there are plenty of tuesday/saturday routings with the 3 class 777s for maintenance and such you just have to look pretty hard.

drerx7

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:10 pm

I know come October you will see three class 777 operating IAD-IAH-GRU daily - replacing the 767. There are some days where I did see a 767 and 777 on IAH-IAD. You also have IAH-SFO on 787 and of course you will see the 789 on IAH-LAX. IAH-ORD gets a 767 back I believe also. SO early fall looks like there will be several domestic widebodies out of IAH.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

a380787

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:19 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 5):
Quoting drerx7 (Reply 6):
I know come October you will see three class 777 operating IAD-IAH-GRU daily - replacing the 767. There are some days where I did see a 767 and 777 on IAH-IAD. You also have IAH-SFO on 787 and of course you will see the 789 on IAH-LAX. IAH-ORD gets a 767 back I believe also. SO early fall looks like there will be several domestic widebodies out of IAH.

Very interesting that in the sUA days, the domestic widebodies are always along the DEN-ORD-IAD corridor. Now nearly everything touches IAH.

Brick

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Lately I have been seeing 3 class 777s on the DEN-HNL schedules. A week or two ago, a DEN-HNL flight diverted to SLC that was a 3 class configuration.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

ripcordd

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Really the new 3 class planes are all ready out there F Domestic J Int/ Y+/ Y that will be the new standard 3 class planes it seems.

Rdh3e

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 8):
Lately I have been seeing 3 class 777s on the DEN-HNL schedules. A week or two ago, a DEN-HNL flight diverted to SLC that was a 3 class configuration.

I was excluding Hawaii. But yes, currently (per the fleet status thread) UA is reconfiguring it's domestic 777 fleet, so there are 3 class airplanes covering some of the Hawaii flying that should be done with the domestic 777's in the future.

jayunited

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 5):
In July you could have found widebodies on (min 4x/wk):

While you are correct I think the other responses were comparing todays domestic wide body schedule to what it was prior to and just after the merger with CO. When UA had a dedicated domestic wide body fleet and used international fleet on domestic missions as well. While we still have the domestic hawaiian configured 777's it is hard to find a international wide body on a domestic route save the daily ORD-EWR,(which most days is a 3 class bird), IAH-DEN and IAH-IAD route. There is also a 787 on IAH-SFO route however I'm not sure if the 787 operates daily or weekly since SFO has daily service on the 787 to KIX and weekly service to CTU. But when compared to both AA and DL and their use of wide bodies domestically it is increasingly difficult to find a wide body in UA's domestic network.

Which brings me to a few questions that keep in line with the current discussion at hand. Prior to and just after the merger sUA used wide bodies on many hub to hub routes instead of letting the aircraft sit un-utilized on the ground for hours now for the most part that is over. Let take for example today Friday Aug 8 UA is operating 17 nonstop flights between ORD and SFO all narrow body with such a shortage of narrow bodies and an increase in rj's would it not be prudent to reintroduce domestic wide body service? Before when UA use to run wide bodies on the ORD-SFO-ORD route we operated between 11-13 non stops a day 3 of which were wide bodies (two 767's and one 777 or 747). If UA were to once again run wide bodies between hubs could we then reduce the number of non stops they by reducing the number of aircraft needed on hub to hub route freeing up those excess narrow bodies to return mainlines service to other routes that were reduced to UAX only service? And lastly instead of looking for used narrow bodies could a few used wide bodies configured for domestic use be the answer to UA's narrow body shortage because our hub to hub routes and even our Hawaii service(SFO and LAX to Hawaii) is utilizing a lot of narrow bodies that could be placed on other routes if we used more wide bodes in our domestic network. LAX-HNL has 7 non stops scheduled today if we utilized more than just one widebody on this route we could cut that number down to 4-5 non stops maybe?

a380787

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 11):
SFO has daily service on the 787 to KIX and weekly service to CTU.

Minor point , SFO-CTU is 3x weekly.

codc10

Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:17 pm

But when compared to both AA and DL and their use of wide bodies domestically it is increasingly difficult to find a wide body in UA's domestic network.

I would wager that, with the retirement of the AA 762s, UA has more domestic WB service than AA.

). If UA were to once again run wide bodies between hubs could we then reduce the number of non stops they by reducing the number of aircraft needed on hub to hub route freeing up those excess narrow bodies to return mainlines service to other routes that were reduced to UAX only service?

As the widebody fleets age, it is a delicate balance between ensuring there is enough capacity in the system to meet demand and avoiding putting too many cycles on airplanes to accelerate costly mx intervals. Further, while widebodies have more capacity, they have much higher fixed costs than narrowbodies and fewer ASMs to spread those costs over on domestic operations.

AADC10

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:29 pm

One of the things that facilitated the disappearance of domestic 3-class repositioning flights is the widebody maintenance facility at IAD. It used to be that the international aircraft had to be positioned to other hubs for maintenance.

That worked out for PMUA as the positioning flights allowed for three class service to connect from hubs on the opposite coast to three class international flights. With all of PMCO's aircraft being two class, providing consistent intercontinental 3-class flights was no longer possible and you did not want to have passengers from LAX taking a 3-class 772 to IAD then connect to a 2-class 752 to CDG.

ua900

Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:04 am

The CO led UA is pretty much done with domestic wide bodies and three class in particular. Count yourself lucky if you even get a two class wide body. One flight a day to Hawai'i from LAX and SFO, the rest moves over to 753s and 738/9s. LAX gets a 764 to EWR once a week and a 763 to IAH twice a week this month. Yay, talk about about matching demand and fleet size, just keep shrinking planes. America used to lead in wide bodies, now that's reserved for more important nations  

[Edited 2014-08-08 20:04:55]
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos