Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZKOJH
Topic Author

Qantas Tips Relaunch Of Perth-Singapore Flights

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:14 am

seems QF have made a boo-boo now they are coming up with a "PLAN B" for Perth.

Qantas is reportedly reconsidering its decision to pull out of Perth and plans to relaunch regular international flights from the WA capital.

The airline shuttered its last regular route between Perth and Singapore in May this year as part of an exhaustive campaign to slash $2 billion in costs over the coming three years, with Qantas CEO Alan Joyce saying "Unfortunately we can't insulate WA from the need for hard decisions."

However, speaking at an aviation conference in Sydney yesterday, Qantas CFO Gareth Evans reportedly indicated the airline has a Plan B for Perth.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-tips-...elaunch-of-perth-singapore-flights
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

benjjk

RE: Qantas Tips Relaunch Of Perth-Singapore Flights

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:51 am

Plan B for Backflip?

Interesting news though. How do they compete against SQ? With a 737? An A330 with better timings than before?

From what I hear the QFi reputation in Perth is now rubbish so no doubt they have a battle on their hands to win some loyalty back. I wish them well though - it's heartening to hear that some international growth is on the horizon!

DeltaB717

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:04 am

737s is what I thought on seeing the article earlier today.

Quoting benjjk (Reply 1):
I hear the QFi reputation in Perth is now rubbish

In which case a 737 is probably about big enough! :P

mariner

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:16 am

Quoting benjjk (Reply 1):
How do they compete against SQ?

How not? Both airlines are very good, of course, but all things being equal - price, etc - I'll usually pick Qantas.

mariner
aeternum nauta

ben175

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:22 am

All I can say is... LOL

Again, a prime example that the idiots running this airline have no idea what they are doing!

I'm predicting a daily PER-SIN 738 flight with dedicated BSI interior aircraft.

Or, they could totally pull our leg and "Plan B" could be to convince EK to re-route one of the PER-DXB flights via SIN and stamp a QF code on it!

benjjk

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:51 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 3):

I am with you there mariner. But obviously whatever QF were doing before wasn't working. What can they do differently? Would a well-timed 738 be enough?

fiscal

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:25 am

Timing is important, but I think using a 738 would be a backward step. An a330 would be far preferable, with a better seating configuration and overall comfort.

SYDSpotter

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:29 am

Quoting fiscal (Reply 6):
Timing is important, but I think using a 738 would be a backward step. An a330 would be far preferable, with a better seating configuration and overall comfort.

How about a 787-8 kindly donated from JQ  
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

mariner

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:33 am

Quoting benjjk (Reply 5):
I am with you there mariner. But obviously whatever QF were doing before wasn't working. What can they do differently? Would a well-timed 738 be enough?

Times change, circumstances change, and I may be a bit more forgiving than some here. At the time they decided to drop it, Qantas was going through a major cost saving restructure, but now a lot of that work has been done and perhaps they can look at it again with refreshed eyes - which is what seems to be happening.

I don't know how they solve it, I don't know what the "different approach" is. They're all much smarter than I am and have access to the real numbers - but the fact that they're even looking at it is a positive sign.

I don't really know why it didn't work last time, but it always seems odd to me when people blame the airline if a route doesn't work. All the airline can do is offer, it can't actually force folk on to the planes at gunpoint.

I do think there may have been some psychology at work. Qantas was in the dog house for a while, with people flocking to the ME/Asian characters and still demanding that Qantas be the "Australian icon."

But - use it or lose it.

mariner
aeternum nauta

AIRWALK

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:42 am

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 7):

Depends if they ask nicely  
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

bunumuring

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:09 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 8):

Hi mate,
I agree with you. I'm impressed that Qantas is reacting quickly to correct a perceived 'blunder', but the Perth-ites have to put their money where their mouth is and use the service. Qantas may not have the exact timings they want, but if they truly want Qantas to serve Perth, and grow, they need to be flexible... And fly Qantas!
Easy.
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

ben175

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 10):
Hi mate,
I agree with you. I'm impressed that Qantas is reacting quickly to correct a perceived 'blunder', but the Perth-ites have to put their money where their mouth is and use the service. Qantas may not have the exact timings they want, but if they truly want Qantas to serve Perth, and grow, they need to be flexible... And fly Qantas!
Easy.
Bunumuring.

Unfortunately much of WA is very anti-Qantas with all the cuts we've received in the past decade. Just take a look at the comments on the article... you start to realise that us aviation geeks aren't the only ones unhappy with QF's ignorance.

If QF put a decent product on the route, with a decent schedule - I will definitely consider flying them. As long as they aren't more expensive than SQ!

Ultimately, this is a huge step in the right direction. I'm happy QF hasn't completely forgotten about WA.

RyanairGuru

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:08 am

Perth-ites have to put their money where their mouth is
Quoting ben175 (Reply 11):
Unfortunately much of WA is very anti-Qantas

Even after the Skywest takeover and the Qantas cuts, isn't QF still the largest carrier in WA? While I understand that some people are happy over there, it isn't like QF are totally irrelevant.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

mariner

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:20 am

Quoting ben175 (Reply 11):
Unfortunately much of WA is very anti-Qantas with all the cuts we've received in the past decade. Just take a look at the comments on the article... you start to realise that us aviation geeks aren't the only ones unhappy with QF's ignorance.

I don't know why anyone is so unhappy with Qantas.

The government(s) blasted Australia wide open to any airline that wanted to come in here, most of them with cheaper cost bases, and Aussies flocked to those foreign airlines, partly because they are cheaper.

The same government(s) tied Qantas hands behind its back - it had to conform to the strict conditions of the Qantas Sales Act which no other airline had to do, Virgin Australia certainly doesn't, it is a foreign owned airline masquerading as an Australian airline.

You want "love" rom Qantas? Love is a two way street.

mariner
aeternum nauta

fiscal

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 am

I might be persuaded, so long as they gut it and make it QF again... 

ben175

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:02 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 13):
I don't know why anyone is so unhappy with Qantas.

Really? If you would perhaps look at this from a customers' perspective and not just the business side of things, you would understand. Obviously QF is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to cost base etc. But do you honestly think the average Joe gives two hoots about the Qantas Sales Act? They wouldn't even know what it is!

People are unhappy with Qantas in WA because Qantas is supposedly our national airline, an Australian icon - and they have constantly neglected Perth in the past 10 years. Yes, all the cuts happen for a reason, but it was one blow after the other - and that has done damage to the QF name over here. It just makes it worse that almost every other airline (including VA), and the dozens of new carriers serving Perth, have expanded immensely.

mariner

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 am

Quoting ben175 (Reply 15):
Obviously QF is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to cost base etc. But do you honestly think the average Joe gives two hoots about the Qantas Sales Act? They wouldn't even know what it is!

But we're not the average Joe here - we're Av-geeks, as you said, and we - here - should give two hoots about the Qantas Sales Act.

People are unhappy with Qantas in WA because Qantas is supposedly our national airline, an Australian icon - and they have constantly neglected Perth in the past 10 years. Yes, all the cuts happen for a reason, but it was one blow after the other - and that has done damage to the QF name over here. It just makes it worse that almost every other airline (including VA), and the dozens of new carriers serving Perth, have expanded immensely.

Australia has to make up its mind what it wants Qantas to be.

Is it the 'national airline," an Australian icon? If it is, it should never have been privatised. Or is it a functioning, commercial, free market airline? Which it coudn't be with the restrictions of the Sales Act.

Why did Qantas cut Perth? Because it was losing money. Why was it losing money? Because people wanted cheaper - or novel, or different.

As far as cheaper is concerned, they got some Jetstar - which is still Qantas.

I've spent my working life in the toughest free market in the world - if the bums ain't on the seats the show closes, and I apply that to airlines:

Use it - or lose it. Everything else is sentimental.

mariner
aeternum nauta

EK413

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 8):
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 12):

Last I checked QF have a strong hold on the FIFO market in WA.

Quoting mariner (Reply 13):

Very well said. Travelling public are so quick to abandon ship when foreign carriers provide 'cheap airfares' leaving QF fighting to survive with their hands tied. QF have made tough decisions the past 18 months and some paid off & others obviously backfired, what's good would be to finally see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Hopefully the return QFI to WA will be welcomed and supported otherwise WA can stick to their low cost carriers because QF have listen is trying to make it work.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

VH-BZF

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 16):

Really well put mariner! Everything that I can see QF doing is about getting their house in order, if you're not making money, then you've got to do whatever it takes to turn that around, if that means dropping unprofitable services, then as tough and as sad as it is, it's reality. I've heard that QF as a full service airline was competing against $55 fares on the PER-SIN route. With QF's cost structure, would've been tough to make it work - hence mariner's point.

Let's hope that QF turn it around.........and Australian's get up and support it.

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

ManchesterMAN

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:21 pm

People are unhappy with Qantas in WA because Qantas is supposedly our national airline, an Australian icon - and they have constantly neglected Perth in the past 10 years.

This is all very reminiscent of BA in the UK. BRITISH Airways serves London and is not interested in serving any other UK markets, other than to link them to London. Look at MAN, the only BA service there now is a handful of flights to LHR, having pulled international flying a long time ago. At the same time you now have EK flying 3x daily to DXB (once with the A380), EY and QR twice daily, SQ, AA, UA, DL, US daily, the list goes on.

Looking at QF ops from PER, they have a long way to go before they reach the low BA have in MAN.

I hope QF return to the SIN-PER route as I would find it quite useful in theory. However if the prices for UK-PER via QF remain a few hundred ££ more expensive than the competition, then I’ll be forced to use the overseas carriers serving the route, as will the many Australians heading in the opposite direction. The days of flying the flag carrier and avoiding these strange foreign airlines are over. There is real global competition now and QF recognises that, they just haven’t reacted in the way many hoped.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

qf2220

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Quoting fiscal (Reply 6):
Timing is important, but I think using a 738 would be a backward step.

Adding a 738 to the route that currently has no aircraft assigned to it is not a backward step.....

Though I doubt the J offering will be as great on a 738 compared to a 332.

AngMoh

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 17):
Very well said. Travelling public are so quick to abandon ship when foreign carriers provide 'cheap airfares' leaving QF fighting to survive with their hands tied. QF have made tough decisions the past 18 months and some paid off & others obviously backfired, what's good would be to finally see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Hopefully the return QFI to WA will be welcomed and supported otherwise WA can stick to their low cost carriers because QF have listen is trying to make it work.
Quoting VH-BZF (Reply 18):
Really well put mariner! Everything that I can see QF doing is about getting their house in order, if you're not making money, then you've got to do whatever it takes to turn that around, if that means dropping unprofitable services, then as tough and as sad as it is, it's reality. I've heard that QF as a full service airline was competing against $55 fares on the PER-SIN route. With QF's cost structure, would've been tough to make it work - hence mariner's point.

It was not cheap airfares which did QF in. It was awful timing. SQ is more expensive than QF and is able to fill 2x daily 772 and 2x daily A333. I was banned by my wife from ever flying QF again after an already horribly timed QF flight was delayed by 1 hour and we reached our hotel in Perth at 3:15 AM....
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

bunumuring

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Just a thought... Remember Branson highlighted Perth as one of the Virgin Atlantic destinations possible nonstop from Heathrow with the 787-9 when Virgin Atlantic first ordered them... How times have changed!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

qf002

Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:30 pm

I'd love to see QF add PER-KUL with 738s (in addition to PER-SIN), leveraging MH's hub to offer a very competitive range of connections further north to China/Japan/HKG. It's not something they would have looked at a few years ago (when there was a big focus on developing big partnerships that covered everything in one fell swoop), but the focus recently appears to have shifted towards working with smaller partners to tailor solutions to individual markets.

But yes, I agree 738s (likely at more than daily frequency - maybe daily to start, building to 10wk then double daily in peak periods?) seem sensible for PER-SIN.

Why did Qantas cut Perth? Because it was losing money. Why was it losing money? Because people wanted cheaper - or novel, or different.

I'm not convinced that PER-SIN was a money loser, I just don't think that it fitted the vision that management had for the airline 2-3 years ago.

Times have changed since then. I think that QF has probably come to the realisation that the grand plan isn't going to work out quite as well as they had hoped (looking at the massive loss that they will announce in a few weeks, in the year that was supposed to be their big turnaround), and that they quite urgently need to draw on every possible opportunity they have to generate revenue and profit. Ideas that would have been written off a few years ago are now worth exploring and developing.

Of course, I might be wildly off with that suggestion, but it strikes me as odd that they would drop a core route then magically come up with a solution that allows them to reopen it just a year later.

[Edited 2014-08-08 09:17:10]

timtam

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Qantas did not make a mistake dropping Perth to Singapore. There reasons are very clear:

Qantas CFO Gareth Evans, speaking at the CAPA Australia Pacific Aviation Summit, stated (07-Aug-2014) the carrier "cannot continue to operate to parts of the world or from parts of the world where it makes no economic sense". He commented, "I'll use Perth as an example. The amount of capacity that had been put in the Perth market over the last two or three years is quite staggering, and therefore, our operations out of Perth to Singapore simply were not viable any longer, and it's great regret that we did have to pull that service."

Qantas were losing money on the service and they had to pull it.

Qantas is competing in a cut throat industry which includes semi-government supported players. It cannot afford to be sentimental.

Has something changed? Maybe the WA tourism body is willing to provide some financial incentives for Qantas to return to providing international flights out of Perth - providing Qantas with some of the incentives it may have provided to encourage other new entrants into Perth. Maybe some of the large corporates in Perth are willing to commit to booking more seats on Qantas flights if they return to the market? Maybe SingAir has increased the pricing on their business related fares out of Perth? Maybe the staff of a couple of these large corporates have expressed dissatisfaction with the awarding of their company contract to a competitor? Maybe Qantas is working on a deal with an existing or new partner that will make Perth-Sing more viable? Maybe they might do a Perth-Sin-Adl triangle route? Who knows 

EK413

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Quoting AngMoh (Reply 21):
It was not cheap airfares which did QF in. It was awful timing. SQ is more expensive than QF and is able to fill 2x daily 772 and 2x daily A333. I was banned by my wife from ever flying QF again after an already horribly timed QF flight was delayed by 1 hour and we reached our hotel in Perth at 3:15 AM....

A general rule, everyone wants low fares. QF wasn't able to compete with SQ's lower cost base & top it off their frequencies. The low cost carriers was the final nail in the coffin for QF and WA.
Good luck to QF & I hope WA support their return!

EK413

qf2220

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 19):
This is all very reminiscent of BA in the UK. BRITISH Airways serves London and is not interested in serving any other UK markets, other than to link them to London.

I view that whilst they were linked with BA in the JSA, the mindset was quite 'one port' like the reputed BA mindset. Id say the presence of many BA alumni and BA connected people within QF probably reinforced this. This mindset drove perhaps the most important choice, being aircraft purchases, by QF. The A380 fleet only suits SYD and MEL. The 744(incl ER) fleet the same. Smaller aircraft were needed but not bought until they fluked the A330s. If a less SYD and MEL centric view existed (due to a less BA view of the market), then i put it that the 744ERs and A380s may not have been purchased, or not in the numbers they have committed to (its clear now that 20 A380s are just a fantasy in QFI at this point in time).

Post the BA JSA, QF has made some hard decisions which from a fleet perspective are all about getting rid of larger aircraft, ie the deferral of the remaining A380s and the 744 fleet from international, and moving to more 738 flying domestically. The decisions to now have been about downsizing the fleet and using smaller ones where larger ones were previously used. It will be interesting to see if the other half of this strategy comes to fruition, ie, that QF starts ordering more aircraft but smaller ones to allow the fleet to serve more effectively the more widely distrubuted population that is the Australian market. Here I am thinking the 789s or more A330s. Time will tell.

qf2220

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 23):
I'd love to see QF add PER-KUL with 738s (in addition to PER-SIN),

Nice idea.

There was mention of a rejig of some of the NZ flying a while ago and I thought that it meant the Jetconnect fleet might have some capacity. Was this true? Could the Jetcconect aircraft be used in this space given they are already in an 'international' configuration?

DeltaB717

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:33 pm

The Jetconnect aircraft are in the same configuration as VH-VZL to -VZS (ie the AVOD non-BSI 12J/156Y). As they are registered and crewed out of NZ there would have to be a Jetconnect crew base established in Perth to allow that to happen, or one or two aircraft returned to QF mainline.

qf2220

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 28):

Does this configuration extend to non-product configuration too (ie engineering specs, overwater requirements etc)?

RyanairGuru

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Qantas is supposedly our national airline, an Australian icon

But it isn't. It is a loss making private business. That entitles nobody to special treatment, but if you want an "icon" to fly from every point at a loss you need to start lobbying Parliament to nationalise them.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 12):
I understand that some people are happy

That was of course supposed to say un-happy.

Australia has to make up its mind what it wants Qantas to be.

Is it the 'national airline," an Australian icon? If it is, it should never have been privatised

Or is it a functioning, commercial, free market airline? Which it coudn't be with the restrictions of the Sales Act.

Fantastic post Mariner

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 19):
There is real global competition now and QF recognises that, they just haven’t reacted in the way many hoped.

Interesting point, and I'm inclined to ageee

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 22):
Just a thought

No. Never.

Oil would have to go down to $20 a barrel before that route would begin to make financial sense

Quoting qf002 (Reply 23):
I'd love to see QF add PER-KUL with 738s ... the focus recently appears to have shifted towards working with smaller partners

Interesting suggestion, but there isn't much of a relationship with MH. What about PER-BKK to connect with Bangkok Airlines?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

DeltaB717

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:03 pm

I believe it does, at least as far as overwater requirements. I did once notice on the CASA register (I think, maybe somewhere else) QF has a few different thrust ratings on their 73Hs but it's mostly the earlier models that had less powerful engines. Some, if not all, of the ZK- fleet were actually registered in Oz before NZ so must've complied with CASA technical requirements at that point.

TruemanQLD

Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:17 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 30):
What about PER-BKK to connect with Bangkok Airlines?

That would be a difficult route for a 738 I would have thought.

VH-BZF

Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 31):

Yes I had heard that too, I think there is a QF fleet (technical) page which lists the engine rated thrust limits? I have a feeling that the VH-VX & VZ & XZ series B738's are all at the higher thrust rating with the VY registered aircraft all have derated CFM engines, however I stand corrected if that's not quite right?

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

ben175

Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:54 am

But we're not the average Joe here - we're Av-geeks, as you said, and we - here - should give two hoots about the Qantas Sales Act.

Obviously I care about the Qantas Sales Act. I was responding to your statement "I don't get why anyone is unhappy with Qantas." And being from WA, I know from personal experience that QF does have a tattered reputation over here.

I am very excited to see this develop. I'm really happy QF is reconsidering Perth's value as an international port, seeing as they do have a great domestic network. I think a daily 738 with an AVOD product would be great. Obviously an A330 was too much metal, so I don't see any other alternative. Hook the flight up to services by Oneworld partners AY, BA, MH and JL - and the flight should go out nice and full every day.

mariner

Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:03 am

Obviously I care about the Qantas Sales Act. I was responding to your statement "I don't get why anyone is unhappy with Qantas." And being from WA, I know from personal experience that QF does have a tattered reputation over here.

Given the multiplicity of bad press about Qantas by a lot smart commentators (everyone knows how to run the airline), the reputation may be somewhat tattered, and yet Qantas retains a majority of domestic market share:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/qanta...c-market-share-20140123-31bqm.html

"Qantas sticks with hard-line approach to domestic market share"

As well as:

I am less impressed with market share as a metric than many others are (it can be costly), but I understand the thinking behind it and obviously people are sill flying the airline in large numbers, however "tattered" you think the reputation may be.

mariner
aeternum nauta

777Jet

Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:19 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Thread starter):
seems QF have made a boo-boo now they are coming up with a "PLAN B" for Perth.

Definitely not the first and for sure won't be the last  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

qf002

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:25 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 30):
What about PER-BKK to connect with Bangkok Airlines?

They don't really have the network or frequency to work for QF as a primary partner -- nothing to HKG, China or Japan which would be the biggest markets QF would be targeting for connections.

EK413

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:34 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 35):

Given the multiplicity of bad press about Qantas by a lot smart commentators (everyone knows how to run the airline), the reputation may be somewhat tattered, and yet Qantas retains a majority of domestic market share:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/qanta...c-market-share-20140123-31bqm.html

"Qantas sticks with hard-line approach to domestic market share"

I'm not sure what's happened but that wasn't my post? This is my post in Reply 17:

EK413

mariner

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:43 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 38):
I'm not sure what's happened but that wasn't my post? This is my post in Reply 17:

Yes. I quoted you in reply #35.

I'm not sure what the confusion is.

mariner
aeternum nauta

bunumuring

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:50 am

Hi guys,
The idea to do a Perth-Kuala Lumpur run is an interesting one, and one that could work. However I believe that Singapore is the main game.
On a different tangent, the idea of Qantas more closely aligning with Bangkok Airlines came up in a different thread here in the past 48 hours. Could they become a kind of 'de facto' RedQ and expand hand-in-hand with Qantas, and possibly MAS to cover Thailand, Laos, Burma and that region? A Perth-Bangkok service (via Phuket?) operated by Qantas or Jetstar might be viable, timed to arrive with the east coast-Bangkok flights and allowing a bank of Bangkok Airways connections onwards through the area. Just a thought.
Whatever the outcome, the hint of Qantas beginning to move forward and possibly introduce new international routes is one we should all welcome and support.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

zkncj

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:58 am

More likely an parked up A320 painted with an Red Tail and White-body, Operated by Jetstar on behalf on Qantas. Qantas Branding, Uniforms and Service. Although crew employed by Jetstar, in either PER/SIN that operate the flight on an lower cost base.

TruemanQLD

Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:14 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 40):
The idea to do a Perth-Kuala Lumpur run is an interesting one, and one that could work

I would be very surprised. Given they don't currently serve KUL, it would be surprising if they started it from PER, especially given they already have an alliance partner on the route. Also not a great time to start advertising new routes that connect with MH. QF is super safety-image conscious, as we all know, so they will be trying to stick well clear of MH publicly for a long time I would imagine.

EK413

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 39):

I'm not sure what the confusion is.

Your first post was in reference to the below not what I posted...

Quoting ben175 (Reply 34):

EK413

LHRFlyer

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:49 am

Quoting QF2220 (Reply 26):
I view that whilst they were linked with BA in the JSA, the mindset was quite 'one port' like the reputed BA mindset. Id say the presence of many BA alumni and BA connected people within QF probably reinforced this. This mindset drove perhaps the most important choice, being aircraft purchases, by QF.

This is not true at all.

When BA owned an equity stake in Qantas it had a director on the Qantas board and it was actively pressing Qantas to choose the Boeing 777 which Qantas decided against.

I would also hardly call up to ten BA flights a day from Manchester a handful. And, as if the point needs to be said again, EK et al are all doing exactly the same thing as BA at MAN: feeding traffic into a hub.

mariner

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:32 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 43):
Your first post was in reference to the below not what I posted...

I still don't understand the confusion.The statements was made that Qantas' Ireputation was in "tatters."

To counter that, I provided information about the majority market share and, and additionally, your comment about Fifo, which seemed to me supportive of Qantas. Was I wrong to think that?

Of course, I apologise if I have offended you ins some way, but I cannot work out how.

mariner
aeternum nauta

bunumuring

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:38 am

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 44):
When BA owned an equity stake in Qantas it had a director on the Qantas board and it was actively pressing Qantas to choose the Boeing 777 which Qantas decided against.

Hi mate,
That's an interesting point. I have heard rumors along that line - can I ask what your source is for this please? I'm not doubting it, but I am fascinated by 'what might have been' and how close QF came to the 777...
Thanks,
Bunumuring.

VCEflyboy

Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Silly question, but could QF also reconsider those 789 cancellations?
Any chance they could fly PER LHR direct? Certainly that would lure travellers from its competitors, the demand is there and it is within range.

RyanairGuru

Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Quoting zkncj (Reply 41):
More likely an parked up A320 painted with an Red Tail and White-body, Operated by Jetstar on behalf on Qantas. Qantas Branding, Uniforms and Service. Although crew employed by Jetstar

Er, actually nothing could be more unlikely ... because it would be illegal. But well done on your daily Jetstar bitch.

it was actively pressing Qantas to choose the Boeing 777 which Qantas decided against.

You will, of course, no doubt have proof of this statement? Right now I'm saying BS.

I would also hardly call up to ten BA flights a day from Manchester a handful.

Yes it really is, especially compared to where they used to be and the general reluctance of a lot of people to connect at LHR, even post-T5. They basically made themselves all-but-irrelevant in that market.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Flyingsottsman

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 48):
it was actively pressing Qantas to choose the Boeing 777 which Qantas decided against.

You will, of course, no doubt have proof of this statement? Right now I'm saying BS.

I dont think that is BS, that might have happen. But as far as the 777 is concerned QF have never been interested in geting the 777 or I dont think we will ever see a 777 in the fleet. Even as far back as the Geoff Dixon days he and now AJ was all about the A380 and the 787s. As with the rest of Australia with the exception of Sydney a lot of the main land capitals have been slowly losing QFi services to cut the losses, there has been talk here that Brisbane could loose its SIN service and have it replaced by JQ in order to get its costs down. Lets hope that QFi can get it house in order and get back to the airline it once was. I am sure in the future once things get up and going for QF, Perth will be back on the QFi network.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos