Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dazed767
Topic Author

USAirways 737-400 Final Flights, Anyone Going?

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Anyone riding on any of the segments next week on flight 737 CLT-DFW-PHL-CLT? I should arrive in PHL from CLT at 4:18 to catch the last segment. There was a bit of buzz when it was announced last month but not much activity now (plus that thread is locked). Granted it's a sub fleet, but nice to see they are having one last hoorah for the classic 737.

hufftheweevil

RE: USAirways 737-400 Final Flights, Anyone Going?

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Quoting Dazed767 (Thread starter):
Granted it's a sub fleet

I wouldn't consider it a subfleet....merging with AA doesn't count...no more 737s, period, for US. I think this is truly an end of an era because it emphasizes US's decision to switch from Boeing to Airbus in the 90s.

For anyone interested, there are only two 737-400s still flying: N435US and N449US. I'll keep checking throughout the week to see when one of those quits, then we'll have our lone survivor for the final flights.
Huff

SouthernDC9

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:48 pm

So maybe a few years back, I was flying DFW-CLT-BWI... the flight to CLT was delayed so I had to get rebooked on the next BWI flight, which was a 737-400... I originally had an aisle seat in first row of coach, I ended up in middle seat just behind exit row, so that was disappointing (and it placed me far from any restroom on board, which didn't occur to me at the time)... long story, but somewhere that day I picked up maybe food poisoning or a bug or something? When I got to CLT I didn't feel great but got some pepto and figured I could soldier on through since CLT-BWI is pretty quick... as we were taxiing out I started feeling really, really dreadful... not sure if it was reality or just feeling so awful, but the seat seemed so tremendously uncomfortable and the seat back pocket was falling apart, which normally I wouldn't care about but, in my state, I think it just reminded me of myself and various parts of me... the Sudoku and crosswords were already worked in the inflight magazine so I didn't have that to distract me... the guy to my right was quite rotund, to put it mildly, so I just felt very closed in... and the flight was insanely bumpy, because of course it was - normally I would love that but under the circumstances, it was less than optimal... suffice to say, that was the most awful flight of my entire life and I thought I was going to die, or worse, really embarrass myself in a major, major way and absolutely horrify the people around me - how I didn't have an "incident" of some sort, I don't know... to this day, I can hardly look at a US 737, the mere sight of one frightens me. I saw one in TPA and thought I was going to faint. You know how on Modern Family Gloria just loses it when she sees Barkley the Dog Butler? That's pretty much how I am when I see one of these planes. I know that is completely irrational but truly, this is one bird I won't miss...
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

PI4EVER

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:49 pm

A great airplane when delivered to PI in October, 1988 and certainly earned its wings in these years of reliable service. PI/US flew these airplanes from transcons to the Caribbean and was the mainstay for many years on flights to Bermuda, St.Thomas, St.Croix, Nassau, San Juan and most every airport served in FL. Of late, a not very comfortable plane to fly on with US's tight seat pitch, and worn interior. Time to go. Next. Big brother 762......
watch what you want. you may get it.

32andBelow

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Come up to ANC and you can ride a 737-400 all day every day.

lat41

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:53 am

So many RONs and turns at Providence by US 734s over the years while UA and others were forcing us into cramped RJs, they could almost fly themselves in! Last flight was a few months ago but I'd like to think Southern New England is grateful, however tarnished and worn they were at the end. Remember the big, heavy CRTs mounted in the ceiling?

crownvic

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:12 am

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 2):
So maybe a few years back, I was flying DFW-CLT-BWI... the flight to CLT was delayed so I had to get rebooked on the next BWI flight, which was a 737-400... I originally had an aisle seat in first row of coach, I ended up in middle seat just behind exit row, so that was disappointing (and it placed me far from any restroom on board, which didn't occur to me at the time)... long story, but somewhere that day I picked up maybe food poisoning or a bug or something? When I got to CLT I didn't feel great but got some pepto and figured I could soldier on through since CLT-BWI is pretty quick... as we were taxiing out I started feeling really, really dreadful... not sure if it was reality or just feeling so awful, but the seat seemed so tremendously uncomfortable and the seat back pocket was falling apart, which normally I wouldn't care about but, in my state, I think it just reminded me of myself and various parts of me... the Sudoku and crosswords were already worked in the inflight magazine so I didn't have that to distract me... the guy to my right was quite rotund, to put it mildly, so I just felt very closed in... and the flight was insanely bumpy, because of course it was - normally I would love that but under the circumstances, it was less than optimal... suffice to say, that was the most awful flight of my entire life and I thought I was going to die, or worse, really embarrass myself in a major, major way and absolutely horrify the people around me - how I didn't have an "incident" of some sort, I don't know... to this day, I can hardly look at a US 737, the mere sight of one frightens me. I saw one in TPA and thought I was going to faint. You know how on Modern Family Gloria just loses it when she sees Barkley the Dog Butler? That's pretty much how I am when I see one of these planes. I know that is completely irrational but truly, this is one bird I won't miss...

Not get off the subject of what is an important thread, but whatever happened to you that day, you should not take lightly. The fact you were on a very short flight and you knew this, is probably what saved your butt. Suppose it was going to be a 5 hour transcon? That could have been catastrophic. You may have an anxiety disorder lurking inside of you, that you may not be aware of and it could happen again, if certain "ducks fall in a row". if you do, there is medication for this that you may want to keep with you while traveling. Just looking out for you!

hufftheweevil

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:30 am

As of right now, N435US will make it's last flight on the 18th. N449US will make the final lap on the 19th.
Huff

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:47 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 5):
Last flight was a few months ago but I'd like to think Southern New England is grateful, however tarnished and worn they were at the end. Remember the big, heavy CRTs mounted in the ceiling?

Hopefully we'll see them back at PVD with PEOPLExpress  

And, even though I do miss seeing them at PVD, I'll settle for the a321s they bring in now 
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

dumbell2424

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:20 pm

I'll be on the PHL-CLT!  

SouthernDC9

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Quoting crownvic (Reply 6):
Not get off the subject of what is an important thread, but whatever happened to you that day, you should not take lightly. The fact you were on a very short flight and you knew this, is probably what saved your butt. Suppose it was going to be a 5 hour transcon? That could have been catastrophic. You may have an anxiety disorder lurking inside of you, that you may not be aware of and it could happen again, if certain "ducks fall in a row". if you do, there is medication for this that you may want to keep with you while traveling. Just looking out for you!

Thanks, I really think it was something I ate - I got a turkey sandwich at the Boars Head place at DFW and I doubt that's what caused it because it would have had to have taken effect fairly quickly, but that's what I associate it with and to this day I can hardly eat a turkey sandwich, and honestly now Boars Head in general just freaks me out. (I was worried it would ruin Thanksgiving but turkey-and-dressing, I'm fine with - just sandwich meat turkey is the problem.)

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 4):
Come up to ANC and you can ride a 737-400 all day every day.

I forgot AS still has the -400s... does any other US airline still have them? I think the excitement of flying AS would help me overcome any 737-400 traumas in my past... (I'd probably be shaking like a leaf and sweating and some kind soul would say, "Oh, dear, are you scared of flying?" and I'd be like "No, no, I'm just scared of this particular plane...and turkey... and food poisoning in general... and middle seats..." and the kind soul would try to move to another row or an overhead bin.)
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

32andBelow

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 10):
I forgot AS still has the -400s... does any other US airline still have them? I think the excitement of flying AS would help me overcome any 737-400 traumas in my past... (I'd probably be shaking like a leaf and sweating and some kind soul would say, "Oh, dear, are you scared of flying?" and I'd be like "No, no, I'm just scared of this particular plane...and turkey... and food poisoning in general... and middle seats..." and the kind soul would try to move to another row or an overhead bin.)

If you fly one from ANC to SEA or JNU you will be too busy looking at glaciers to get sick.

MSYtristar

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 10):
I forgot AS still has the -400s... does any other US airline still have them?

Besides AS, V2 (dba PEOPLExpress) also operates the -400 in scheduled service.

Several charter airlines also fly them including Miami Air, Swift Air, and Xtra Airways.

An increasingly rare bird in the states.

[Edited 2014-08-14 12:33:22]

n797mx

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:14 am

My brother and I have a confirmed seat! Flying BUF-JFK-PHL in the morning to catch the flight.  
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

Dazed767
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Glad to know at least I won't be the only one there haha.

hufftheweevil

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:32 am

Quoting hufftheweevil (Reply 7):
As of right now, N435US will make it's last flight on the 18th. N449US will make the final lap on the 19th.

Now they swapped them...N449US last flight 18th, and N435US will make the final lap.
Huff

dumbell2424

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:41 pm

LGA777

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:52 pm

N435US is operating the last US 734 flights today CLT-DFW-PHL-CLT and N449US is going to the desert US 9240 CLT-TUS. 435 got her first water cannon salute of the day leaving the ramp in CLT and I am sure there will be more of those to come.

LGA777

Art at ISP

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:11 pm

It's a shame they could not have held on to 406 a few extra days to make the last trip--would have had the distinction of operating the first AND last 737-400 service on US.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos