Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Pan Am To Corpus Christi

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:41 am

Admittedly I'm what you'd call a Pan Am historian, yet this route slipped under the radar. For a brief time in the 80's (I see it listed in the October, 1985 timetable but not in one from 1987), PA flew DFW-CRP nonstop with a 727-200. The flights, PA401/402, were routed JFK-DFW-CRP and vice versa. Granted PA never had much of a domestic network but the cities they did serve were mostly mid-sized metros and larger. This just seems like an odd choice for the network, unless I'm missing something. Does anyone here remember PA's time in CRP? Anyone lucky enough to have flown them out of that city?

thomasphoto60

RE: Pan Am To Corpus Christi

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:08 am

Wow, DFW-CRP! While I was aware that PA did have few flights out of DFW (JFK), I was under the impression that IAH was the base of their Texas operations. Indeed, seems like an oddball route.
"Show me the Braniffs"

B757Forever

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:16 am

CRP in those days had a sizable US Navy operation. I can assume this flight was intended to cater to the Navy's needs?
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

jetpixx

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 am

That's interesting...CRP doesn't seem to fit what they were doing back in their heyday. And I thought my PA flight from MIA-JAX was strange.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

notdownnlocked

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:16 am

The original flight started as JFK-DFW-AUS but for a time AUS was tagged with other cities. This is when the DFW-AUS tag was moved to CRP. Neither worked and CRP was dropped and the retag AUS-DFW was restarted for a short while. PA tried many city combos to get seats filled to JFK and routings changed often. CRP was not on the PA map for very long at all.

topbanana

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:33 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
For a brief time in the 80's (I see it listed in the October, 1985 timetable but not in one from 1987), PA flew DFW-CRP nonstop with a 727-200. The flights, PA401/402, were routed JFK-DFW-CRP and vice versa.

Interesting. I knew that in the early 80s, there was some intra-Texas service flown on Pan Am's behalf by Emerald Air. I never realized that Pan Am flew their own equipment into Corpus Christi.

What's even more peculiar is that in 1986, the CRP-DFW-JFK route was replaced by a CRP-IAH-IAD route!

Pan Am, at the time, had almost no real connections via Dulles other than to Frankfurt and Heathrow.

Serving Corpus Christi surprised me... but seeing the route switched, for almost a year, to end up at Dulles instead of Kennedy really surprises me.
Top Banana in the West. Yes.

notdownnlocked

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:16 am

Quoting TopBanana (Reply 13):
Interesting. I knew that in the early 80s, there was some intra-Texas service flown on Pan Am's behalf by Emerald Air. I never realized that Pan Am flew their own equipment into Corpus Christi.

What's even more peculiar is that in 1986, the CRP-DFW-JFK route was replaced by a CRP-IAH-IAD route!

Pan Am, at the time, had almost no real connections via Dulles other than to Frankfurt and Heathrow.

Serving Corpus Christi surprised me... but seeing the route switched, for almost a year, to end up at Dulles instead of Kennedy really surprises me.

Emerald was a little earlier, in 1982/83 and included MFE but not CRP on their shorty DC9's codesharing with PA. The PA IAH-IAD 727 either returned to IAH or went to ATL, MIA, or on to JFK later in the afternoon. Once at IAD, the CRP passengers had 2 or 3 choices to go onwards with PA to JFK or also onwards to ATL or MIA. Perhaps someone at PA saw a market for DFW-CRP as this was a market served by BN for eons before they died 4/82.

[Edited 2014-08-13 22:23:38]

LatinPlane

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:58 am

In the early 1980s, Corpus Christi was a booming oil town. Around 1986 or so, Corpus Christi's economy went bust due to the decline in the price of crude. The city never really fully recovered, until the oil/gas shale boon of today. Looks like Pan Am was trying to capture some oil business to and from the then booming CRP. It may not make business sense today and it never did even then, but things do get distorted with the influx of large amounts of money into gold rush destinations.

Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

topbanana

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:00 pm

Quoting notdownnlocked (Reply 6):

Emerald was a little earlier, in 1982/83 and included MFE but not CRP on their shorty DC9's codesharing with PA.

According to this, CRP was included in the Pan Am/Emerald code-share, however briefly it may have lasted:

http://www.departedflights.com/CRPp1.html

Quoting LatinPlane (Reply 7):
In the early 1980s, Corpus Christi was a booming oil town. Around 1986 or so, Corpus Christi's economy went bust due to the decline in the price of crude. The city never really fully recovered, until the oil/gas shale boon of today. Looks like Pan Am was trying to capture some oil business to and from the then booming CRP. It may not make business sense today and it never did even then, but things do get distorted with the influx of large amounts of money into gold rush destinations.

That's very interesting, LatinPlane! Thank you for posting that!  
Top Banana in the West. Yes.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Quoting LatinPlane (Reply 7):

Great info...thanks for sharing. Nice picture, as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos