Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrb2
Topic Author

Small Plane Crashes At BUF

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Seeing some chatter on Twitter about this. If anyone has info please share. I'm assuming it's a small general aviation plane.

KBUF

RE: Small Plane Crashes At BUF

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:32 pm

It crash landed into one of the long term parking lots. All on board suffered only minor injuries: http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local...mall-plane-crash-at-bnia/14065493/

EDIT: Registration is N706GS, a Piper PA-28 Cherokee.

[Edited 2014-08-14 12:39:21]

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 pm

I was just there yesterday, looks like it is on the west end of the preferred long term parking lot, which given its proximity to the terminal was surprisingly empty... glad to hear it resulted in only minor injuries.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

n797mx

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Was just there and got some pics, will post tonight. Planes pretty beat up but defiantly survivable. I think the bigger story is the a**hole cops they have there who threatened to arrest me for being on public property with the rest of the photographers and media...  
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

n797mx

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:24 am

Photo as promised, its in the queue too...

http://flic.kr/p/orXAef

If you look close you can see blood on the propeller and feathers on the wing, leads me to believe it was a bird strike.

71Zulu

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Quoting n797mx (Reply 4):
Photo as promised, its in the queue too...

Almost thought it was a Piper Arrow the way the gear has collapsed, must have been quite a touchdown.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=168731

http://www.prioraviation.com/training.html

copter808

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Quoting n797mx (Reply 3):
Was just there and got some pics, will post tonight. Planes pretty beat up but defiantly survivable. I think the bigger story is the a**hole cops they have there who threatened to arrest me for being on public property with the rest of the photographers and media...

Did you have media credentials? Just because it's on "public property" does not automatically give you the right to be there. Law enforcement's job is to protect the scene. Was there a necessity that you be there or were you just gawking and looking for photo ops?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing whatever pictures you did get!

namezero111111

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Congrats to the pilot since everyone walked away!

brilondon

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 6):
Did you have media credentials? Just because it's on "public property" does not automatically give you the right to be there. Law enforcement's job is to protect the scene. Was there a necessity that you be there or were you just gawking and looking for photo ops?

He was well within his rights to beable to take that photos from that location as it is a public parking lot and not taped off as a crime scene. I don't get your line of questioning nor do I think it is any of your business why he was there taking photos in the first place. People take videos of the take offs and landing which are against the rules as you have to have all items stowed securely yet I always see videos done from their seat during takeoff and landing. So don't be all high and mighty like you are some form of law enforcement that doesn't know the constitution like most of the enforcers out there.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

copter808

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:52 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 8):
He was well within his rights to beable to take that photos from that location as it is a public parking lot and not taped off as a crime scene. I don't get your line of questioning nor do I think it is any of your business why he was there taking photos in the first place. People take videos of the take offs and landing which are against the rules as you have to have all items stowed securely yet I always see videos done from their seat during takeoff and landing. So don't be all high and mighty like you are some form of law enforcement that doesn't know the constitution like most of the enforcers out there.

My apologies brilondon, I didn't realize you were at the scene and that it was not taped off. Otherwise, I stand by my comments.

Are you telling me that it's ok to wander around an accident or crime scene taking pictures of whatever you like, just because it's "public" property? Apparently you and I have a different position on the constitution. Could you please inform me of which part of the Constitution was violated? Also, please explain why the officer was an a**hole.

Not flaming you, I'm honestly interested in your opinions.

n797mx

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:28 am

@copter808
I've looked up and know my photographers rights, and what he did was beyond his control.

Reference here:
http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers

On public property
   In plain sight
   Not interfering with legitimate law enforcement operations

I had every right to be there as the "official" media.

Quoting copter808 (Reply 9):
Also, please explain why the officer was an a**hole.

He came up to me without even saying "excuse me, could you leave" or something. He just came up behind me and forcefully said "leave." I told him no and he demanded my license and threatened to arrest me for doing nothing wrong. I just left at this point because I didn't want to take it further.

flymia

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:06 am

Are you telling me that it's ok to wander around an accident or crime scene taking pictures of whatever you like, just because it's "public" property? Apparently you and I have a different position on the constitution. Could you please inform me of which part of the Constitution was violated? Also, please explain why the officer was an a**hole.

As long as the photographer was on public property and not inside a taped area he/she has all the right to take as many pictures as he/she wishes.

Could you please inform me of which part of the Constitution was violated?

First Amendment. http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/documents/Sharp_ltr_5-14-12.pdf
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

FlightShadow

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:37 am

Hold on everybody! He never said anything about the police telling him to cease photography. This is more of a property issue, not a photography issue.

Quoting flymia (Reply 11):
First Amendment. http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/documents/Sharp_ltr_5-14-12.pdf
This case is about a cell phone confiscated after it was used to record an arrest. Looks like apples and oranges.

Quoting copter808 (Reply 6):
Just because it's on "public property" does not automatically give you the right to be there.

"Public property" is often incorrectly used. "Government property" or "public-owned property" are not always considered a "public forum" in the legal sense. A public forum is a place where one's full access to first-amendment rights of expression are granted--most city sidewalks, parks, etc. Jails, fire stations, courthouses, military bases, and at least some areas at airports are all examples of nonpublic forums: government-owned property with limited access areas where the public is not free to claim their first-amendment rights wherever they please.

I don't know much about this area at the Buffalo airport, but the simple fact that it is publicly-owned property does not mean the police cannot ask or force you to leave. (I've worked in law enforcement for several years and been an aviation enthusiast for much longer. I've been on both sides of this battle. Some cops are    and skew things. It's frustrating and if it's skewed enough to violate rights it should not be tolerated, hence, our judicial system. But more often than not, cops know more about how to do their job than we do. It's not as simple as the ACLU makes it out to be.)

Quoting n797mx (Reply 10):
He came up to me without even saying "excuse me, could you leave" or something. He just came up behind me and forcefully said "leave."

Likely worthy of a    in my opinion. Either way, it wouldn't have hurt him at all to take a minute to explain why he was instructing you to leave. Police and PR don't always go hand-in-hand, unfortunately, because it'd go a long way... Just a simple "leave or I'll arrest you" isn't admirable policing.

Quoting namezero111111 (Reply 7):
Congrats to the pilot since everyone walked away!

[Edited 2014-08-17 23:10:45]
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

flymia

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:07 am

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 12):

I'm making a big assumption that the photographer in the thread was standing on a public sidewalk with public access. Not inside government property. Unless that area was closed off I see no reason why he would not be allowed to take photos.

And I understand the differences in the case. Hence why I only stated in this case in BUF that it is only the First amendment that was possibly violated. Many people don't even realize that it covers taking pictures and videos as well.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos