Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cush
Topic Author

Why Does Uzbekistan Airways Stop In Riga (RIX)

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:32 pm

I was always curious why the Uzbekistan Airways 767 always stops in Riga enroute to the USA? Wouldn't a connection in SVO or LED make more sense?
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

Viscount724

RE: Why Does Uzbekistan Airways Stop In Riga (RIX)

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Much less competition. Their twice-weekly RIX-JFK service is the only direct service between Latvia and North America. Two flights a week Moscow-JFK in competition with several daily nonstops wouldn't be worth the effort.

I doubt they would be granted 5th freedom rights Russia-U.S. anyway. Latvia doesn't care since they have no longhaul carrier to protect. U.S.-Uzbekistan is also an Open Skies market, unlike Russia where the bilateral is still quite restrictive. And U.S.-Latvia is of course Open Skies since Latvia is an EU member.

Cush
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:17 am

Are you allowed to book just the JFK-RIX segment?

ipodguy7

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:04 am

Quoting Cush (Reply 2):
Are you allowed to book just the JFK-RIX segment?

Yes, would've taken you all of 2 minutes to find it yourself...

CheapOAir shows fares from $626.80 RIX-JFK on 9/18
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

ipodguy7

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:37 am

One has to wonder if they will try TAS-JFK nonstop once their B787s arrive. Does anyone have any more information? Would this be the first nonstop to the "Stans"?

mrcomet

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:39 am

It's also a major money laundering location with boutique banks that launder money for the family that runs Uzbekistan. Nothing in that country is decided by economics. It's all personal and political.
The dude abides

TWA772LR

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:26 am

I wonder what made Riga stand put amongst Vilnius, Talinn, Prague, Bratislava, and other east European cities.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Cush
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:14 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 6):
I wonder what made Riga stand put amongst Vilnius, Talinn, Prague, Bratislava, and other east European cities.

Well, out of Vilnius, Talinn, and Riga, I get why they chose Riga. It's larger and has more going on. Prague is probably the same reason a poster mentioned above about competing service,

ipodguy7

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:17 am

Does anyone have the faintest idea of what the LF would be on JFK-RIX-TAS? I can't imagine it's profitable (w/o gov't intervention) with a month-out price of $627 for just JFK-RIX one way.

Faro

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:26 am

Quoting mrcomet (Reply 5):

It's also a major money laundering location with boutique banks that launder money for the family that runs Uzbekistan. Nothing in that country is decided by economics. It's all personal and political.

I doubt there is a commercial motive to the stop, just like their flight to Geneva...personal and political...Uzbekistan is the personal plaything of the Karimovs...

Faro
The chalice not my son

RIXrat

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 am

Even when I was living in Latvia, the Uzbek airline just sort of popped up without any great ad campaigns and landed in RIX to take on fuel for JFK. They have a web site and I have tried it a number of times to try to get a booking and a price. They advise to call a designated travel company in Riga. I have talked to some that have flown them and their results are mostly negative. The lack of amenities.

SCQ83

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:14 am

I noticed that, according to Wikipedia, some flights seems to stop somewhere named Urgench. Is it possible to fly Vienna-Urgench?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urgench_International_Airport

It is a tiny town in the middle of nowhere - Uzbek desert... not bad to have non-stops to VIE and FRA  
Quoting Faro (Reply 9):
I doubt there is a commercial motive to the stop, just like their flight to Geneva...personal and political...Uzbekistan is the personal plaything of the Karimovs...

They started MAD via GVA a few years ago. I have been always curious about that flight. Relations between Spain and Central Asia are minimal; and other than some summer holiday charters from Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan to coastal areas (like BCN or AGP), there is no other flight between Spain and that part of the world.

hanuise

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:28 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 11):
I noticed that, according to Wikipedia, some flights seems to stop somewhere named Urgench. Is it possible to fly Vienna-Urgench?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urgench_International_Airport

It is a tiny town in the middle of nowhere - Uzbek desert... not bad to have non-stops to VIE and FRA

Urgench is close to Khiva which is one important tourist attraction in Uzbekistan. The old city, Itchan Kala, is well preserved, rather more like a museum than a lively place.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 11):
They started MAD via GVA a few years ago. I have been always curious about that flight. Relations between Spain and Central Asia are minimal; and other than some summer holiday charters from Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan to coastal areas (like BCN or AGP), there is no other flight between Spain and that part of the world.

I flew GVA-MAD-TAS a couple of years back. Very few passengers boarded in Geneva but the plane was full of tourists from Madrid. It was the same on the return flight, most of the passengers going to Madrid.

Our local travel agency had a bank account in Riga ...

SCQ83

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:57 am

Quoting hanuise (Reply 12):
I flew GVA-MAD-TAS a couple of years back. Very few passengers boarded in Geneva but the plane was full of tourists from Madrid. It was the same on the return flight, most of the passengers going to Madrid.

Thanks for your reply. I had thought about tourism in Uzbekistan (Samarkand, etc.) but I didn't expect Uzbekistan Airways trying to tap on that market. I had assumed tourists would have flown with other carriers (notably Turkish that flies at least daily to 6 Spanish airports) and the number of Spanish tourists heading to Uzbekistan would not be enough to grant a flight.

It must be an interesting place to visit  

timpdx

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Certainly an interesting place to visit. Flew on an old Tu154b on my Tashkent -Urgench leg. Not much there outside of Khiva.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

adamh8297

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 8):

Does anyone have the faintest idea of what the LF would be on JFK-RIX-TAS? I can't imagine it's profitable (w/o gov't intervention) with a month-out price of $627 for just JFK-RIX one way.

Some samples from aviationdb.net for the JFK-RIX-JFK legs

April 2013 - 80% (1 weekly)
July 2013 - 79.5% (2 weekly)
October 2013 - 81.5% (1 weekly)
January 2014 - 64% (1 weekly)

RIX-JFK tends to have much higher LF than JFK-RIX
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

AirPacific747

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Quoting timpdx (Reply 14):
Certainly an interesting place to visit. Flew on an old Tu154b on my Tashkent -Urgench leg. Not much there outside of Khiva.

I used to fly to Tashkent when I was working as a pilot for a Ukrainian charter company. Indeed quite interesting going there.

AAMDanny

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:03 pm

Am I correct in thinking that before RIX they used to go via BHX?

prosa

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting AAMDanny (Reply 18):

That is correct. IIRC the change to RIX was about a decade ago.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

pa747sp

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:50 am

They are certainly up there in the 'Website that instills the least confidence' stakes.
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

lesfalls

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:07 am

so do more people go form lativa to usa or from uzbekestain to the usa on this flight?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

adriaticflight

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Quoting AAMDanny (Reply 18):

And at one point via Belgrade.

mrcomet

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:46 am

All the tourism infrastructure is owned by the Karimov family. Everything is designed to make them more money and the losses can be added to the state budget. I would bet that the bank accounts were in RIga because they are owned by the Karimovs.
The dude abides

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos