Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheMSYGuy
Topic Author

PEOPLExpress To Begin MSY On 8/28

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:32 pm

This is great news for MSY. It's going to be interesting seeing where their gate will be. I can't exactly say that I'll be flying to Newport News any time soon, but it's good to know that it is now a non-stop option.

PEOPLExpress sure didn't really give much of an advanced notice!

http://flymsy.com/press-room/PEOPLExpress-Coming-to-New-Orleans?&Sort

Quote:
(NEW ORLEANS, LA)

On Thursday, August 28, 2014, PEOPLExpress, a low cost, a la carte service model airline, will begin service from the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport to Newport News/Williamsburg, Virginia. The nonstop flight will take place twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Flights will depart Newport News/Williamsburg at 6:30 p.m. and arrive in New Orleans at 8:00 p.m. whereas flights from New Orleans will depart at 8:45 p.m. and arrive at the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport at 11:55 p.m. Flights will be operated by Vision Airlines and feature PEOPLExpress branding aboard their Boeing 737-400 aircraft with its 150 seats (including 12 Living Large™ seats). PEOPLExpress, committed to restoring the concepts of Respect, Value, and Excitement to air travel, began operations on June 30, 2014 offering service from Newport News/Williamsburg to Boston, Newark and Pittsburgh. New Orleans is one of four additional nonstop destinations to be added to their air service line-up by the end of August.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said, "PEOPLExpress will provide new affordable, non-stop transportation for the New Orleans market. We welcome this air carrier to our great city.”

"Encouraging airlines to make our market a destination is a key priority of the Aviation Board. We welcome PEOPLExpress and look forward to growing additional opportunities for our patrons,” said New Orleans Aviation Board Chairwoman Cheryl Teamer.

"We are very pleased to be on the short list of cities served by this airline. PEOPLExpress will be a welcomed addition to our family of low cost carriers that serve the New Orleans region,” said Iftikhar Ahmad, Director of Aviation.

For more information on PEOPLExpress, please visit www.flyPEX.com

mtnwest1979

RE: PEOPLExpress To Begin MSY On 8/28

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:16 am

Well they announced it when they started up ops. Same for ATL PIE etc.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

OzarkD9S

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:00 am

Good for MSY. Good for PHF. Wasn't MSY mentioned as one of their future focus cities along with PIT and SAT? Seems to me MSY is ripe for semi-daily service to a bunch of cities, it does have a certain draw in the US. Maybe not as trendy as some places but it's one of those "must-do" places people like to check off. I myself like to go down there every few years, always have a good time. Kind of surprised G4 hasn't made it a "destination market" yet. Summers can be a bit brutal down there but it would do well 9 months out of the year.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

GentFromAlaska

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:36 am

This is also good in at least one other aspect. NOLA serves as the Eight Coast Guard District Headquarters and is the largest land area district in the Coast Guard. PHF serves Yorktown which is one of four large Coast Guard Training Centers. Although PEX won't have the government city pair; they may be able to pull some traffic away from US/AA by offering a lower price and non-stop service.

From the article "The nonstop flight will take place twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays"

For PEX to benefit they would have to tweak their schedule into PHF to Sunday and Friday. Most students arrive on Sunday for classes which begin Monday and usually graduate on a Friday. In 2012 the Yorktown training center provided instruction to over 43,000 active duty service members, over 8,000 reservists, over 8,800 civilian employees, and over 30,000 volunteer Auxiliarists: Some classes are a week in duration others up to five months.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

N62NA

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 am

Great to see the expansion from "the airline that would never fly" as many here called it.

MSYtristar

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:07 am

Quoting TheMSYGuy (Thread starter):
This is great news for MSY. It's going to be interesting seeing where their gate will be. I can't exactly say that I'll be flying to Newport News any time soon, but it's good to know that it is now a non-stop option.

PEOPLExpress sure didn't really give much of an advanced notice!

One of the C gates according to flymsy.com. Plenty of open space over there.

I'm quite sure folks heading from NOLA to ORF/RIC and vice versa will use this service. The ORF/RIC-PHF drive is an easy one. Of course there's traffic on the bridge from ORF to contend with but if you save a couple of hundred bucks on the airfare, it'd be worth it.

PHF-MCO is being added in October, as well, according to the PEX Facebook page. Good news all around.

NOLAWildcat

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:13 am

Hope the new service will be a success both for my hometown and for PEOPLExpress, even if I have my doubts that a niche airline headquartered at PHF using leased 737-400s will survive in the long term.

Now if the folks at MSY can somehow lure BA into starting that rumored 787 non-stop to LHR...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos