Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gilesdavies
Topic Author

Does LOT Operate UK Military Flights?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Moderators - I was unsure if this should be posted in the Military or Civil Forum, apologies of posted in incorrect place.

I was just looking on FlightRadar24 and is showing a LOT 787 is currently operating Calgary to RAF Brize Norton...

http://www.flightradar24.com/LOT7696/41d533c

Does LOT usually operate UK Military flights?

I have tried searching on Google and shows nothing.

seansasLCY

RE: Does LOT Operate UK Military Flights?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 pm

I believe they do operate charters on behalf of the UK military/armed forces. A number of commercial airlines have operated such services including Air Seychelles who operated the flights to Ascension Island and the Falklands.

I can't think of the others who have done flights but I think one may have been Air Tahiti Nui.

oly720man

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 1):
I can't think of the others who have done flights but I think one may have been Air Tahiti Nui.

Titan's B767 G-POWD has been at Calgary a fair amount recently

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/g-powd

and judging by the comments here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnmjBPH9X0

an Air Pullmantur B747 was there... EC-LNA on 14th Aug

http://www.flightradar24.com/reg/eclna
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

YYCSpotter

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:36 pm

LOT has been doing these charters for a few weeks now, and YYC has hosted their 787s on a near daily basis. As aforementioned, Air Pullmantur, Titan, and quite a few others do RAF charters to YYC, but mostly due to the proximity to CFB Suffield.

konrad

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 am

As per previous replies: LOT has been doing these charters for a few weeks now. LOT has an overcapacity of one Dreamliner this summer season which is used for such charters as well as a few others short term leases - Finnar HEL to JFK by LOT 787 comes to mind.

This (and I think next) year LOT is not allowed to start any new routes due to the EU rules on public aid. In order to have the public aid package approved by the EU commission LOT had do cut a good number of routes and is not allowed to add capacity untill fall 2015.

Buyantukhaa

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:31 am

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 1):

HiFly operated the Falklands flight for some time.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

tymnbalewne

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Slightly OT: What's in YYC that would if the UK military visiting so frequently?
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

c172akula

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:22 pm

Canadian Forces Base Suffield is SE of the city and the UK Military has trained there quite a lot over the years. Sometimes in conjunction with the RAF which would operate Jaguars and then Tornadoes from YYC (with VC-10's also here for the hop home). That was an awesome treat for us spotters here.

We have been completely spoiled by the RAF charters over the last few weeks, the LOT 787's almost feel like a daily occurrence. United Charter 744, Pullmantur 744, Titan 767, and yesterday we got a UA 764 in the Star Alliance livery.

I'd have to say it almost makes up for no longer seeing the L1011 and VC-10's here.  

gilesdavies
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 am

Im quite surprised to see so many charters, considering the RAF now have 8-10 A330 MRTTs in place.

skipness1E

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 am

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 8):
Im quite surprised to see so many charters, considering the RAF now have 8-10 A330 MRTTs in place.

Except they never replace the passenger capacity of the 10 SQ VC10s when they were judged unsafe to fly pax in their final years (no really!!) and the A330s are really a one for one replacement for the L1011s. HMG knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

aviatorcraig

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 8):

As a general rule chartered civilian aircraft will go to the places where you are unlikely to get shot at, freeing up your military assets to go ... well, you get the picture.

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 9):
Except they never replace the passenger capacity of the 10 SQ VC10s when they were judged unsafe to fly pax in their final years

Having been based at Brize taking the Queen's shilling during the twilight years of the VC-10, I travelled the globe extensively on the C1K (the original RAF pax aircraft as opposed to the ex East African tanker convertions), When 10 Sqn was disbanded the aircraft transferred over to 101Sqn but still did way more pax tasking than refuelling tasking. At what point were they "judged unsafe to fly pax"? No one told me!   
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

gkirk

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

There's been a fair few NCL-YYC-NCL flights using LOT 787 (SP-LRC), Titan 763, Monarch A332. Other military flights into NCL have included Atlas Air 744 and 763, though I think these operated to/from the US and Brazil.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

skipness1E

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Quoting aviatorcraig (Reply 10):
At what point were they "judged unsafe to fly pax"? No one told me!

In their last years with 101SQ, passenger flying was discontinued despirte a major capacity crunch and TriStars going AOG daily. Unless I was grossly misled but I understood pax ops ended a few years ago. Anyone confirm?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos