Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Viscount724
Topic Author

Ship Your Car By Air For Use On Your Vacation

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:22 am

Recent Daily Mail article on the number of wealthy Arabs from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf (UAE, Qatar, Kuwait etc.) who often spend much of the summer in Europe, especially London (also the French Riviera and Geneva etc.) to escape the heat at home. Many ship their exotic cars by air to use during their stay, often at a cost of around $30,000 for the round trip. QR apparently gets much of this business.

Quite a few photos in the article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ling-20-000-fly-vehicles-back.html

Other related articles:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wealthy-playboys-flock-London.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-cars-taking-excess-new-level.html

There was a similar article in a GVA newspaper a couple of days ago. It mentioned that many of the wealthy Arabs could rent a similar vehicle for a month for less than the air freight charges but they want to be seen with plates from home so people know the car is theirs. I've seen a couple of expensive cars in the GVA area with plates from that area in the past few days.

BreninTW

RE: Ship Your Car By Air For Use On Your Vacation

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:38 am

A couple of years ago I was back home in South Africa and we got chatting to a gentleman who was driving around in a 1929 4.5-litre Bentley. He told us he belongs to a group of Bentley drivers who, each year, organize a rally. The group -- I believe it was 30 cars -- had flown out to SA with their cars and had spent the best part of three weeks driving 4,000 km around the country. IIRC, the YOUNGEST car was a '39, the oldest was 1910 or 1911.

He was telling us that he and his wife were flying back to the UK after their tour of South Africa. Some of the other drivers were shipping their cars to New Zealand to take part in another tour. The year before they'd done a tour around India.

I'm sure they'd chartered the freighters, so it was probably less expensive than shipping a car commercial, but I was amazed at how much it must have cost.

prosa

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:03 am

It must be awkward driving these cars in Britain, as they have left-hand drive. Not to mention that many of them are low-slung with limited visibility.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Grummancat

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:09 am

I wonder if it would be cheaper if these people could somehow convert... I dunno... a DC-4 to be able to transport their cars. Just put a big egg-shaped lobe in the forward fuselage, move the cockpit up to the top and put a car in there!

Since these people like to go to England so much, maybe they can call it the "British Air Ferry".

[Edited 2014-08-19 20:11:29]

ha763

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:36 am

I've seen a Maybach 62S with California plates a couple of times and a brand-new Mercedes S-class when I was working in cargo at HNL. I even saw a Mercedes Sprinter with a custom interior, supposedly owned by a pastor, flown in to use while he and his family were on vacation in Hawaii.

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:49 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Thread starter):
Recent Daily Mail article

You read ... the Mail?!?  Wow!
Quoting prosa (Reply 2):

It must be awkward driving these cars in Britain, as they have left-hand drive.

You mean like this?:

http://youtu.be/kfS8iz2NaLE
International Homo of Mystery

Viscount724
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:12 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
Recent Daily Mail article

You read ... the Mail?!?

No, not unless absolutely necessary. Only found those since the similar article in the GVA newspaper (in French) referred to the Daily Mail. At least they often have good photos.

zckls04

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:19 am

Many ship their exotic cars by air to use during their stay, often at a cost of around $30,000 for the round trip

I remember Goldfinger doing this in 1963 flying from London to Geneva. I wonder how much that would have cost in today's money- does anybody know what British Air Ferries would have charged for that journey in those days?
Four Granavox Turbines!

Slcpilot

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:30 am

I can't help but think of this.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumball_3000

Two or three An-124's came through Salt Lake City with the cars for the rally. I was passed by a few at a high velocity.

Cheers!

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:45 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 8):
I wonder how much that would have cost in today's money- does anybody know what British Air Ferries would have charged for that journey in those days?

There's a timetable with fares for British Air Ferries from 1974 here:

http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4553

I remember looking for that the last time I watched Goldfinger, and that was the best I could come up with.

Viscount724
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:28 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 8):
Many ship their exotic cars by air to use during their stay, often at a cost of around $30,000 for the round trip

I remember Goldfinger doing this in 1963 flying from London to Geneva. I wonder how much that would have cost in today's money- does anybody know what British Air Ferries would have charged for that journey in those days?

British Air Ferries January 1963 timetable and fares here (pages 3 and 4):
http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/vf1.htm

Southend-Geneva:
Passenger fare - £17.20, equivalent today approx £310, or $515

Car (based on length, Aston Martin DB5 approx. 15 ft., category M for GVA assuming not off-season) -
£21.50, equivalent today approx. £390, or $650

However it says that car rates to GVA (also Strasbourg and Basel) are based on a minimum of 2 passengers so that means doubling the passenger fare, for a total of £620 plus the £390 for the car, for a grand total of £1,010, or roughly $1,680 one way. Round trip passenger fare a little less than twice one way, but not for the car.

The old British currency was still used then with 20 shillings to the pound, so the 10 shillings in the car rate would be 50 P and the 4 shillings in the passenger fare 20 P in today's decimal currency.

Aesma

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 1):
I'm sure they'd chartered the freighters, so it was probably less expensive than shipping a car commercial, but I was amazed at how much it must have cost.

But at least they really use those cars. The ones this thread is about will never make it to 4000Km, since they're used to go from a palace in the posh part of town to a cafe in the same part of town, sometimes the same street.

Quoting Grummancat (Reply 3):
I wonder if it would be cheaper if these people could somehow convert... I dunno... a DC-4 to be able to transport their cars. Just put a big egg-shaped lobe in the forward fuselage, move the cockpit up to the top and put a car in there!

Since these people like to go to England so much, maybe they can call it the "British Air Ferry".

These people are not interested in cheaper. The word cheap is banned from their vocabulary. Now if you could send the cars via space with some sort of space shuttle, for 100 times the price, that would interest them.

You mean like this?:

Ouch !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

b747400erf

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:59 am

Obnoxious ways the entitled can spend your hard earned petrol dollars. I am thankful the ppb is still above 100 so we can help them make their civilisations better.

evomutant

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 am

The revolting gold Range Rover is interesting, in that it is illegal on British roads with front windows that tinted (no way they let 70% of light through).

Not that the Met would ever rouse themselves from their stupor to do anything about it.

N766UA

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 5):
You mean like this?:

Haha I don't think left or right hand drive has anything to do with that one; that's just stupidity right there. Who goes that fast on that road in that car?!

brilondon

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 15):
Haha I don't think left or right hand drive has anything to do with that one; that's just stupidity right there. Who goes that fast on that road in that car?!

He was not going that fast or there would have been alot more damage. The idiot here was the person who was driving the car that pulled out in front of the now hunk of broken plastic.

The rich usually have their cars already there in their mansions. I know I have a neighbour who keeps two cars here and also has a car at his place in Toronto. He spends alot of time here though.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 16):
The rich usually have their cars already there in their mansions. I know I have a neighbour who keeps two cars here and also has a car at his place in Toronto. He spends alot of time here though.

Yes, the whole 'must have foreign license plate' thing really gives off the impression of 'can't afford more than one car.'

jukechris

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:33 pm

I recently recorded this Mercedes Brabus SLR going download from a KLM Cargo B747-406F in Malaga/Marbella.

http://youtu.be/Vd13zY0JVDY

YYZYYT

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 11):
You mean like this?:

Ouch !

Indeed!

I just finished a 2-week driving holiday in the UK, and right turns were my worst nightmare. Here (where we drive on the correct side of the road  ) you can get used to only looking one way...

Quoting N766UA (Reply 15):

I agee that the left or right hand steering wheel is irrelevant, but not the side opf the road. I would say: who pulls out to make a right-hand turn without checking? Oh, a tourist from anyehere else.

But back to the topic. I saw some spectacular cars parked outside of Harrods (one Lamborghini stands out!) with unfmaliar plates. I wondered how the car got there.. and now I know.

JAGflyer

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 pm

How would it work with insurance on these cars?

Quoting jukechris (Reply 18):

The 747F looks empty with the exception of the car. I can't believe someone would charter a freighter just to bring 1 car. If anything I'd have expected a Qatar A330F or something along those lines. The things people do for the simple purpose of doing them just because they financially can. If these guys would spend their money on their own people and those who are less fortunate rather than buying (and shipping) fancy cars between their holiday destinations they would have a much better reputation.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

ek17

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 19):
I just finished a 2-week driving holiday in the UK, and right turns were my worst nightmare. Here (where we drive on the correct side of the road ) you can get used to only looking one way...

Arghhh, you're the one who nearly crashed into me!   

No no no, the UK drives on the correct side  

WildcatYXU

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 20):
If these guys would spend their money on their own people and those who are less fortunate rather than buying (and shipping) fancy cars between their holiday destinations they would have a much better reputation.

You see, that's only a question of perception. Some may only see that they are spending money on themselves, but by buying and shipping fancy cars (or anything else fancy and overpriced) they are actually giving work to whole bunch of people.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

lpdal

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:41 pm

I always enjoyed those shots of rampers unloading exotics from widebodies, which begs the question, can large non-cargo aircraft such as the 747-8I or 777-300 passenger versions transport automobiles?

-LPDAL 
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

northstardc4m

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 23):
I always enjoyed those shots of rampers unloading exotics from widebodies, which begs the question, can large non-cargo aircraft such as the 747-8I or 777-300 passenger versions transport automobiles?

I know that Airbus released a special video about loading vehicles on the A330/340 lower cargo hold, including length limits and what direction they should be facing etc...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

goosebayguy

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 19):
Here (where we drive on the correct side of the road

You clearly know nothing of history. Naturally you have to go back to the people who built the first roads. They just happened to all walk on the left for self defence reasons. Due to mostly being right handed. Work it out.. Then a short man came along called Napoleon. As he took over each country he forced them to drive on the right. This was to show subjugation to Napoleon. Its because of Napoleon that many countries now drive on the right. Britain beat Napoleon so still drive on the left despite no longer carrying swords for self defence. You will note that Napoleon never made it to Switzerland who decided to change in 1967 because all the countries around them drove on the right and it caused chaos at the borders!

homer787

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Ferrari almost exclusively ships cars to North America in cargo holds of commercial flights. They fit well in the holds of 777s 747s 330s 340s and 380s.

lhrnue

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Slightly disappointed that the Arabs have to fly theirs cars to Europe. Can't they afford to throw the old one away and by a new one for the holidays. They are not running out of money, are they? Oil price must be low.

Pellegrine

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Just too fabulous.

I'd just have multiple cars at my multiple houses though. Still would have to ship the rare ones...Lamborghini Venenos and the like. Even Bugattis and Paganis you could just buy multiples of.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

flyingturtle

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:34 pm

Quoting goosebayguy (Reply 25):
You will note that Napoleon never made it to Switzerland who decided to change in 1967 because all the countries around them drove on the right and it caused chaos at the borders!

Err.... wait... WHAT?

Where did you read such stuff? 

Before 1798: Political system of Switzerland was the "Tagsatzung", a non-binding parliament of emissaries and diplomats.
1798 - 1803, "Helvetic era": Napoleon invades Switzerland, installs a powerful central government, modelled after the French one. Besides that, Napoleon abolishes slavery.
1803 - 1813, "Mediation era": Switzerland exists as a vasal state of France, but Napoleon accepts the departure from the central government, allowing a federal state.
After 1813: "Restauration era": Return to the old Tagsatzung system, rising tensions between Catholics/Protestants and towns/countryside.
1848: Modern federal state is founded.

Since Napoleon, we're driving on the right. And we haven't changed back since.

---

Quoting ha763 (Reply 4):
I even saw a Mercedes Sprinter with a custom interior, supposedly owned by a pastor, flown in to use while he and his family were on vacation in Hawaii.

The Sprinters are quite large... do you happen to have any photos of them?

David

[Edited 2014-08-20 15:36:35]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

b747400erf

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:29 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 22):
You see, that's only a question of perception. Some may only see that they are spending money on themselves, but by buying and shipping fancy cars (or anything else fancy and overpriced) they are actually giving work to whole bunch of people.

Oh come on, trying to make this like a jobs program is ridiculous. The unemployment, poverty, and illiteracy rates in the middle east is frightening with all the oil wealth. Shipping your car once a year is not helping give someone a job.

DexSwart

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:19 am

Britain beat Napoleon so still drive on the left despite no longer carrying swords for self defence.

Which is why most Commonwealth Countries still drive on the left. South Africa, New Zealand, Australia...
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

prebennorholm

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:56 am

You will note that Napoleon never made it to Switzerland who decided to change in 1967 because all the countries around them drove on the right and it caused chaos at the borders!

You are mixing up Switzerland and Sweden. I remember 3 September 1967 very well. On 23 September 1967 I was driving a car in Sweden for the first time. It was a nightmare. The Swedes were so confused after having switched side only three weeks earlier. A lot of tragic accidents happened during the first couple of months.

Incidentally, the trains in Switzerland - on dual tracks - still run on the wrong side.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Viscount724
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 am

which begs the question, can large non-cargo aircraft such as the 747-8I or 777-300 passenger versions transport automobiles?
Quoting homer787 (Reply 26):

Ferrari almost exclusively ships cars to North America in cargo holds of commercial flights. They fit well in the holds of 777s 747s 330s 340s and 380s.

Cars are often shipped on passenger aircraft.

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/files/2013/08/LAX-VW-loading.jpg

burchfiel

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 am

In those two pictures, you can see windows on the cargo hold doors. Is that normal for airliners, or am I just imagining things? Also, is the lower one a UA airliner in battleship colors?

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:48 am

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 35):

In those two pictures, you can see windows on the cargo hold doors. Is that normal for airliners, or am I just imagining things?

Those are the pressure release doors.

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 35):
is the lower one a UA airliner in battleship colors?

Looks like it.

ha763

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:56 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 28):
The Sprinters are quite large... do you happen to have any photos of them?

I don't have a picture of it loaded on the aircraft, but I do have one of it loaded on the 20 ft. pallet:

The back of the Sprinter is overhanging the pallet.

RyanairGuru

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:23 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 32):
is the lower one a UA airliner in battleship colors?

No, it's Aeroflot.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

flyingturtle

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:33 am

Quoting ha763 (Reply 35):

Thank you...

...I know a friend who both loves those Sprinters and 747s.  

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

falstaff

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Quoting ha763 (Reply 35):
I don't have a picture of it loaded on the aircraft, but I do have one of it loaded on the 20 ft. pallet:

How much would it cost to ship something like that?

I have seen a fair number of EU plates (usually German) on Sprinters class B and VW class C motorhomes in Michigan. I would bet these folks aren't just visiting Michigan, but driving around the US and Canada.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 21):

When I see some rich European driving his RV around Michigan I don't think about how wasteful the guy is I think " I wish I could afford to do that" . I am happy those rich Europeans are here, spending their money in my state and enjoying themselves.

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 29):
Shipping your car once a year is not helping give someone a job

One person shipping a car doesn't, but lost of people shipping a car probably does. I would be there are all kinds of people involved with the paperwork and preparation to move a high dollar car from one place to another.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

scutfarcus

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Hilarious. You know, as obnoxious as these people probably are (yes, I'm being a bit judgmental) at the end of the day this is employment for lots of folks, so hey, keep spending guys, that oil isn't going to last forever  

JetBuddy

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:15 pm

SAS sometimes carries cars in the cargo hold of their A330/A340s. Usually very expensive ones.

GARUDAROD

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:57 am

I once shipped a Ferrari that was owned by Sylvester Stallone and was being sent to
the Sultan of Brunei, in the forward hold of a Singapore B747. This was a passenger
aircraft..
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

gkirk

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:17 pm

EK flew someones car GLA-DXB-MLA on 777s
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos