Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

mjoelnir
Topic Author

"nut Free" Flight

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-removed-from-flight-30521385.html

The family had a girl with a newly discovered nut allergy, manifesting itself on the outbound flight inducing a return to DUB with the girl rushed to the hospital. They got than on a "nut free" flight DUB - EWR the next day.
On the way home there was a difficulty with providing a "nut free" flight, they were taken off the plane placed in a hotel and flew home the next day, so one can not fault the service.

What could have gone wrong here? The airline should have known that flying the family outbound "nut free" they would need a "nut free" flight on the way home.
In my experience, airlines, at least in Europe, have been always very accommodating to folks with a nut allergy when informed beforehand. Not serving nuts or food containing nuts and asking folks not to open any containers with nuts or food containing nuts.

jetblue1965

RE: "nut Free" Flight

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:35 pm

According to the article :

""About two hours out over the Atlantic they served a small bowl of cashew nuts and another mix of nuts. She took one cashew nut and within 30 seconds to a minute, her face blew up and she broke out in hives all over her body. She couldn't breathe properly either."

If they knew she has a major allergy against it, why is she even touching the nuts ? Can't really fault the airline here when the girl put the nuts into her own mouth.

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 1):
If they knew she has a major allergy

According to the article, this was the first time the little girl had had a reaction to nuts. The little girl is 4 years old.
International Homo of Mystery

Eagleboy

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm

If they knew she has a major allergy against it, why is she even touching the nuts ? Can't really fault the airline here when the girl put the nuts into her own mouth.

As above it was an undetected/undiagnosed allergy. I read the media reports around the time of the outbound flight and was surprised that they traveled with the revelation of a condition which could impact family life so much.

As for the return flight. Looks like a small logistical mistake by United that they rectified by hotel accommodation and a flight the next day. Personally I think United looks good overall here.

LOWS

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Don't they have those pen things on board most planes now?

Epipen?

DocLightning

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm

OK, speaking as a physician:

*There has NEVER been a documented case of an allergic reaction to "nut dust." All allergic reactions to nuts require, at the very least, physically handling a nut.

*In all cases that have been tested, patients who claim to have an allergic reaction to "nut dust" do not react when nuts are opened in their vicinity. They do, however, react when they are told that nuts have been opened in their vicinity, whether this is actually the case or not.

*Anyone who might anaphylax on contact with a nut should be on antihistamines at all times. The 2nd and 3rd-generation antihistamines such as cetirizine ("ZYRTEC") and fexofenadine ("ALLEGRA") are effective and safe.

*Logically, anyone who would theoretically react to "nut dust" should never leave the house and should live in a positive-pressure filtered environment, because someone might walk past them eating an Almond Joy on the street.

In other words, there is no need for a "nut-free" flight. There is a need to not allow the child to eat nuts.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EIDL

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 4):

Don't they have those pen things on board most planes now?

Epipen?

Yes, but its not a case that you can just jab someone and they're OK for the remainder of a 6 hour flight.

sandyb123

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:29 pm

I was on a U2 flight from PMI -EDI back in 2012 and shortly after take off the F/A came over the PA to say that because someone on the plane had an allergy, no nut products could be offered or consumed.

Was surprised, can't happen that often.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

OA260

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 7):
Was surprised, can't happen that often.

Only ever happened to me once in all my years of flights and hundreds of them. Very rare. The flight in question for me was a BFS-BHX over 10 years ago. The crew asked us not to open/consume any items containing nuts.

Horrible for anyone that is effected by this allergy though. Here in Ireland someone died recently and they didn't have their pen with them.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:04 pm

You can't die from being on a nut flight. Its hysteria. Airlines should not be obligated to cowtow to hysteria.

Sorry this child had to learn the hard way about her allergy, but what does that have to do with forcing nut free flights? All it should have done is taught her parents what to do and how to protect their child in the future. Whoever told them that they needed to fly nut free did them a disservice.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

trex8

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 9):
You can't die from being on a nut flight

You can, just not from being exposed to "nut dust". But if the guy next to you spills his nuts all over your exposed skin some very allergic people can die, though ingestion is a far better way to get a worse reaction. Even in well run restaurants there is inadvertent spread of nuts from cooking /serving equipment to the supposedly totally nut free dish some person allergic to nuts asked for. The FAs probably arent used to /trained to ensure such contamination doesnt happen. So nut free should lower the risk.

There's still the bits of nuts the last guy ground into the seat fabric with his fat a... you may sit on with exposed skin!

Chamonix

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 pm

http://healthypixels.com/?p=1044
To all fellow forumistas:
Beware of DAO (Diamine Oxidase) deficiency.
DAO is an enzyme which regulates histamine.
Allergies are often mistaken for food intolerance.
Whatever you ingest has varying levels of histamine i.e. foods and liquids which are histamine-rich and those which are not but are
histamine-releasing.
Btw, beware of anesthetics because they are histamine bombs just as aspirin and cortisone.

[Edited 2014-08-20 15:36:20]

26point2

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:00 am

Why are children only effected? Not to sound racist but is this "nut allergy" on the airlines only a problem with white affluent American children? Legitimate question.

Edit: effect vs. affect

[Edited 2014-08-20 20:04:58]

DocLightning

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:09 am

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 12):

Why are children only effected? Not to sound racist but is this "nut allergy" on the airlines only a problem with white affluent American children? Legitimate question.

Read my post.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:20 am

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 12):
Not to sound racist but is this "nut allergy" on the airlines only a problem with white affluent American children?

The article opens: "The family of an Irish child ... "  

USAirALB

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:27 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):
anyone who would theoretically react to "nut dust" should never leave the house and should live in a positive-pressure filtered environment, because someone might walk past them eating an Almond Joy on the street

As someone who has several family members with food allergies, this is spot on.

Peanuts are served/sold everywhere. From bars, to the checkout lanes at Target with peanut butter candy, to the PB&J sandwich offered at Panera. Should you call and request Panera to stop serving peanut products just because you are visiting there store and have a peanut allergy? What about all those fast food restaurants that use peanut oil when frying?

Yes, I know aircraft cabins are in close quarters. But like you said, you cannot react to nut dust. If it really is a problem/worry, just ask the people in your row to refrain from eating peanuts because of your allergy. I am sure that they would oblige.

I have heard flying on the first flight of the day is best as well, as the aircraft was most recently cleaned.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:32 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 15):
What about all those fast food restaurants that use peanut oil when frying?

Peanut oil is allergen-free.

http://www.peanut-institute.org/eati...llergy/peanut-oil-no-allergens.asp

26point2

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:44 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 14):

Right oh. Thanks for the correction. Perhaps just "white affluent" would have been more clear.

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:12 am

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 17):
Perhaps just "white affluent" would have been more clear.

This article (PDF) seems to say that the food allergy epidemic isn't a western phenomenon:

Food allergy epidemic — Is it only a western phenomenon?

ikramerica

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:06 am

Quoting trex8 (Reply 10):

Has this ever happened in the history of mankind? No, nor can it. Skin contact will not cause anaphylaxis. Nor will sticking a nut up your nose, for that matter. That's not how nut allergies work.

The reason elementary schools take these precautions is that children share food without thinking. Little kids are stupid. In my kindergarten my friend David ate pistachio ice cream and vomited everywhere and had to go to the hospital even though he knew he was allergic.

But airplanes aren't kindergartens and children are supervised by parents or guardians.

Further, this child was traveling with a large family. Don't seat her next to strangers, the won't offer her nuts.

Type-Rated

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:32 am

What about those people who scream and yell about nut allergies if they even SEE a container of nuts? I think a lot of this is all about some of these people's need to be "special". What about people who have kids who are supposedly "geniuses" but are allergic to everything? Met a woman who was like that, she started out telling me how "gifted" her kid was but that the kid was allergic to everything! She claimed that her kid is so allergic that she needs to talk to the kids allergist several times a day "just to see what I can feed her that day"! Her kid sure was special!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

DTWPurserBoy

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:45 am

There is no such thing as a "nut-free" flight.

Every airplane has had nuts served on them at one time or other and the dust and grains are in the carpets and upholstry--you can never get it out. Plus how many of the 400 plus people on the plan are carrying nuts or trail mix in the carry on as a snack? You gonna strip search everyone?

If someone has an allergy that severe then carry an epipen and Benadryl. It is unrealistic to expect an airline to go to that length for one person.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

aklrno

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:50 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 20):
What about those people who scream and yell about nut allergies if they even SEE a container of nuts? I think a lot of this is all about some of these people's need to be "special"

I was on a Southwest flight a few years ago when the woman next to me went berserk screaming about her dog allergy when someone boarded with a tiny dog in a carrier that fit under the seat. She insisted that the dog not board because of her allergy and said she should have been told a dog would be on the plane. How Southwest was to know about her or the dog is a mystery to me.

We were around row 4. The FAs assured her the dog would be in the back and she would not be harmed. The whole time she held her blouse over her face to shield her from the offending puppy. She finally calmed down and the flight proceeded normally. She had no reaction.

Now for the funny part. At the time I had 4 dogs, one a siberian husky who shed fine dog hair every day. I, and my clothes, were covered in husky fur as well as other dog fur and whatever else they got on me while trying to follow me into my car. I decided not to mention it. She had no problem sitting next to me. The dog has been dead for a few years, but I still find husky fur from time to time in my closet. Juneau will always be with me.

DexSwart

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 am

I don't see why airlines even need to serve nuts anymore. There are many different alternatives than nuts.

Only on American carriers do I still see nuts being served. Australia has had a very recent nut phenomenon going on, and most food products carry "May contain traces of nuts" allergy warnings.

And as for the whole "affluent white American" thing...   
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

flynhi808

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:25 am

BA And AC both serve nuts in Y.
fly-n-HI-808

Prost

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:42 am

Quoting flynhi808 (Reply 24):

they call them 'passengers'.

LandSweetLand

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 am

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 23):
I don't see why airlines even need to serve nuts anymore.
Quoting Prost (Reply 25):

I was about to say "I think they call them passengers". :P

[email protected]

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:37 am

A nut-free flights? Let's hope no A.nutters are on it or there will be many nuts on-board.     
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Beechbaron58

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:54 am

I was on a DL flight from MSP-LAX in early August, due to pax with nut allergies, no nuts were served at all, just pretzels.

omerlich

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:39 am

in LY no peanuts onboard and we're required to tell passengers eating nuts that company policy is not to allow consumption of peanuts onboard.
Obviously people still do eat them.we don't serve nuts in Y but do so in C/P&F again with the exception of peanuts.
None of onboard catering has any nuts in .

mark2fly1034

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:25 pm

I was on an international flight and had the we will not serve nuts. FAs still handed out nuts to everyone in J.

Thomaas

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 9):

You can't die from being on a nut flight. Its hysteria. Airlines should not be obligated to cowtow to hysteria.

Sorry this child had to learn the hard way about her allergy, but what does that have to do with forcing nut free flights? All it should have done is taught her parents what to do and how to protect their child in the future. Whoever told them that they needed to fly nut free did them a disservice.

Got forbid airlines stop serving peanuts on-board ! There's such a shortage of snack options out there it would be the end of the world ...

Thomaas

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 19):
Skin contact will not cause anaphylaxis. Nor will sticking a nut up your nose, for that matter. That's not how nut allergies work.

The reason elementary schools take these precautions is that children share food without thinking. Little kids are stupid. In my kindergarten my friend David ate pistachio ice cream and vomited everywhere and had to go to the hospital even though he knew he was allergic.

That is completely false. It has been proven that allergies can be caused by contact not simply by ingestion. As far as the EpiPen goes, it simply delays the reaction so a person having an allergic reaction still needs immediate medical attention.

flylonghaul

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:05 pm

If you suffer from a nut allergy, then you should be doing your research before flying. Some airlines are helpful with allergies, and others are not.
Unfortunately in this case the young girl had reportedly never had any issues with nuts before.
As my partner has a severe peanut allergy, we choose to only fly airlines that cater to this need and do not serve peanuts on board or in meals. QF and BA in particular do not serve peanut products on their flights in any class, and the snacks that are served in place are certainly sufficient.
Flying for Pleasure

SDLSimme

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 pm

This article tells a story about another 4-year old girl who suffered an allergic reaction when another passenger opened a bag of peanuts during the flight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-suffers-nut-allergy-reaction.html

The man who opened the pack of nuts was banned from flying with FR for two years.
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

copter808

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Quoting Prost (Reply 25):
Quoting LandSweetLand (Reply 26):
I was about to say "I think they call them passengers". :P
Quoting [email protected] (Reply 27):
A nut-free flights? Let's hope no A.nutters are on it or there will be many nuts on-board.

Wow! Can't believe it took 25 posts before this was mentioned!

PacNWjet

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Quoting flylonghaul (Reply 33):
QF and BA in particular do not serve peanut products on their flights in any class, and the snacks that are served in place are certainly sufficient.

If I wanted to avoid peanuts on BA, which of these two a.netters should I believe?

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:14 am

As my partner has a severe peanut allergy, we choose to only fly airlines that cater to this need and do not serve peanuts on board or in meals. QF and BA in particular do not serve peanut products on their flights in any class, and the snacks that are served in place are certainly sufficient.

And what do you do about the other 400 passengers and crew members that routinely carry trailmix or nuts in their bags as a quick snack?

Or with meals prepared with peanut oils or nut product?

It is impossible to control. And how about when you get to your hotel and the person that had the room before you gorged out on peanuts?
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

Mir

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:18 am

I don't see why airlines even need to serve nuts anymore. There are many different alternatives than nuts.

Because they're tasty. I'd much rather have a bag of peanuts than the bag of pretzels they give out these days. If people have allergies, it's easy enough to not come in contact with them. Even if the allergies are serious, it's not a huge deal to create a buffer zone around the passenger where the nuts aren't served.

Australia has had a very recent nut phenomenon going on, and most food products carry "May contain traces of nuts" allergy warnings.

There's this in the US as well.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

777Jet

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:32 am

""About two hours out over the Atlantic they served a small bowl of cashew nuts and another mix of nuts. She took one cashew nut and within 30 seconds to a minute, her face blew up and she broke out in hives all over her body. She couldn't breathe properly either."

I'll second that!

Why would somebody put something in their mouth that they know they are allergic to? I'll answer that. It's called stupidity. There are so many stupid people in this world that it amazes me how so many can survive. It's like saying: "I know I'm allergic to X but so and so put a bowl of X in front of me so it must be okay...". It's sad when people knowingly can't take care of themselves, or when the people around them in the know can't help, in cases like this when an innocent error might have occurred by somebody not knowingly giving them food they are allergic to. I see either stupidity or the usual twisted media reporting all over this story...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

DexSwart

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:22 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 39):
It's called stupidity.

She was four.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 39):
Why would somebody put something in their mouth that they know they are allergic to?

It had only manifested then.

Did you even read the OP?

[Edited 2014-08-21 21:24:02]
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

qf002

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:43 am

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 36):
If I wanted to avoid peanuts on BA, which of these two a.netters should I believe?

There are other nuts out there aside from peanuts. I can't remember specifically what BA serves, but QF offers almonds in F/J (which are generally far less problematic).

ThePointblank

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:58 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 37):

Peanut oil is mostly safe, as most peanut oils are highly refined, removing the allergens. Most people with a peanut allergy are OK with processed peanut oil. It's the unrefined, cold-pressed peanut oil that is more concerning as there is no guarantee that the oil is allergen free.

It is impossible to control. And how about when you get to your hotel and the person that had the room before you gorged out on peanuts?

It is possible to manage and mitigate the risks associated with the allergy. Advising travel providers and places where you intend to stay that you do have certain allergies will mitigate the risks.

ajs123uk

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:08 am

QF and BA in particular do not serve peanut products on their flights in any class, and the snacks that are served in place are certainly sufficient.

I'm crew for BA and can confirm we only serve nuts in First, Club (business) not in economy.

[Edited 2014-08-22 00:10:35]

Natflyer

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Early in my career, the nut usually sat either in the left seat or behind me at the F/E panel. Sometimes in the cabin. In the later years I have noticed that the nut is either in the right seat or in the back.
Nut free flights? Yes occasionally...

ikramerica

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 31):
Got forbid airlines stop serving peanuts on-board ! There's such a shortage of snack options out there it would be the end of the world ...

People have deadly reactions to eggs, alcohol, shellfish, legumes, etc. They could all "fall on your skin" like the poster was blathering about. Should they all be banned from flights?

Asthmatics can react to heavy perfumes, yet I routinely smell those from people who slather on the smelliest hand lotions to keep from "drying out" during the flight, or who "freshen up" by going to the bathroom and bathing in colognes. I wish they would ban those people, you know, out of respect for the asthmatics, who are far more likely to have a reaction, yet who never seem to. Then again, the peanut people don't have reactions on board either, so hysteria should be accommodated equally, no?

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 32):
That is completely false. It has been proven that allergies can be caused by contact not simply by ingestion. As far as the EpiPen goes, it simply delays the reaction so a person having an allergic reaction still needs immediate medical attention.

Allergies aren't caused.

Reactions occur. And skin contact doesn't cause anaphylaxis when dealing with peanuts. That's the point. It can cause swelling, hives, etc. And you might have a psychosomatic response of THINKING you can't breath because you've been so scared out of your mind by the peanut hysterics, but that's far different than your throat closing up. But you are not consuming the protein, it is not entering your bloodstream. It is irritating your skin. And simply dropping a peanut on your skin isn't going to do anything. You'd have to rub it on, get that oil in the pores, really work it in there...

I have eczema on my leg. It's very similar to a skin reaction to peanut allergens, but I only wish it was that controllable or infrequent. It's annoying as heck. But if I only got it when someone rubbed peanuts on my skin, I'd be happy...

As for your immediacy claim of skin contact: (again, can anyone cite any actual instance of this happening in flight?), so immediate they flew on to England when a girl stopped breathing from "dust"? Dust, if actually INGESTED and not INHALED is far more dangerous than skin contact. See below.

Quoting SDLSimme (Reply 34):
This article tells a story about another 4-year old girl who suffered an allergic reaction when another passenger opened a bag of peanuts during the flight.

Don't buy it. Studies have shown that this is not possible.

She obviously did not have as severe a reaction as claimed. It's very likely overblown. If she stopped breathing, the airline was in the wrong for continuing.

"20 minutes out" and then they didn't divert back to origin? After a child "stops breathing"? They jabbed her with a pen and flew on to England? And "being taken to a hospital" is not proof of ANYTHING other than the parent demanding that their child go to a hospital. Paramedics are there to assess and stabilize, and if needed, begin treatment, when called. They are not there to second guess when someone claims to have a deathly allergy and to have been exposed to the allergen. That is the job of the doctors at the hospital. So she was taken there "for treatment."

Nope. She had a reaction of some kind to something she was directly in contact with, or has other health problems, or picked up a bug in the foreign environment she had just visited, or her mother got so freaked out when she saw the man open the nuts that she convinced her daughter that she was about to die to the point that she thought she was. "Oh my god, are you okay? Are you okay? That man has NUTS. Are you okay? Can you breath? Are you breathing okay? Oh my god!" Enough of that will convince any kid they are dying. But this was not a deadly peanut allergy caused reaction because that's not how the allergen works.

And if it were actually real (it's not), it was Ryanair who was in the wrong for not diverting, and the mother for taking such a fragile child to a remote island vacation, not this non-English speaking passenger who was 10 feet away who dared to do something that isn't in itself dangerous.

Thomaas

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Out of all options available, I don't know why airlines would chose peanuts especially considering the possible allergic reaction of some. Reading some comments here you'd think that peanuts are the only options. People really are self-centred and will argue for the sake of arguing a guess. Bottom line is that THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES that are just as good and cause a lot less problems so why keep serving them ?

flylonghaul

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:02 pm

Both BA and QF do not use peanuts or peanut products in any of their in flight catering. They do however sometimes serve other nuts which are generally less of an issue for allergy sufferers.

And what do you do about the other 400 passengers and crew members that routinely carry trailmix or nuts in their bags as a quick snack?

There isn't much that you can do about that. If a passenger decides to open a bag of nuts, then that is their business. I would only politely ask them to not eat them if they were sitting next to us due to the severity of my partners allergy, and if not then I would switch seats to at least provide a little comfort for her. This has never happened to us.
We have only had one issue of someone consuming a circus size bag of peanuts across the aisle which cause some discomfort for my partner.
And before someone jumps on me and says that I shouldn't be complaining, like they did last time this subject came up, we didn't say anything, and we did not request him to stop.
Since we have been mostly in J lately this isn't really an issue due to the seating arrangement.

And as stated above, BA and QF do not use peanuts in any of their in flight catering.

If we are staying in a hotel and eat in the restaurant, we will advise of the allergy and ask if it safe for her to consume the food served. 99% of hotels that I have dealt with have been very helpful. And having come from hotel management, my staff were always helpful also.
Flying for Pleasure

JBAirwaysFan

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Just to clarify also; and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe peanut allergies and nut allergies are also quite different.

Pistachios, cashews, almonds, etc are nuts.

Peanuts are legumes. Though legumes and nuts are similar, they are not the same. My great aunt is deathly allergic to nuts, but not peanuts since they're not really nuts. So the question here is whether or not the girl had a peanut allergy, nut allergy, or hell even both?
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

flynhi808

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 pm

BA did not serve peanuts but they did serve other nuts. I was flying club world (business), thats Y right?
Every airline I have flown on has served nuts (at least in my cabin)
HA (business and coach), BA and AC (in business), AS (in economy), LH and DL (in business as far as I remember)

Can somebody please go over the class (first, business, economy+, economy) abbreviations again? thx
fly-n-HI-808

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos