Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BC77008
Topic Author

United To Lure Top Fliers With Hot Meals

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Starting September 1st, United will be greatly improving their meals offered in First Class on flights of 800 miles or more.

"The changes, announced Thursday, mean that instead of potato chips, chocolate chip cookies and bananas, passengers on flights of at least 800 miles will get meals such as chicken and mozzarella on a tomato focaccia roll and turkey and Swiss cheese on a cranberry baguette."

This is a major step in the right direction for United and coupled with their aggressive wifi instillation and replacement of 50-seat regional aircraft with newer larger regional jets means United is well on it's way to becoming the airline of choice for business travellers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...p-fliers-promise-hot-meal-25067650
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

RL757PVD

RE: United To Lure Top Fliers With Hot Meals

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

Before you know it their customers will start to wonder why they arent changing planes in Atlanta  
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

jetblue1965

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 1):
Before you know it their customers will start to wonder why they arent changing planes in Atlanta

because not everyone enjoys the scenic detour doing PWM-ATL-FAR

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 2):

I was referring to the fact that nearly customer service improvement on UA has likely already been around for years on another airline!
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

AADC10

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:31 pm

UA already serves hot meals in F on flights longer than 1,000 miles. How many mainline flights are between 800 and 1,000 miles? Probably not very many since quite a few of those flights are operated by UAX carriers.

Curiousflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Hot meals! Foccacia! So luxurious! And with exquisite $5 wine, that the flight attndants artfully describe as "white", "red" or "champagne" (like champagne can be bought for $5 a bottle).

Way to go but at least there os a start...

flyaas80

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Regardless of serving them or not, hot meals on United still leaves quite a bit to be desired... Coming from the airline that served cheeseburgers in first class. An upgrade would be to stop at the golden arches before getting on their first class product. Why don't they take a page from VS?
The only way to fly is by the seat of your pants...

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:05 pm

It sounds like some of the new items for F are simply putting the Coach BOB options on a plate. Not that I'm knocking improvements, it'd just be nice to see some differentiation for the premium cabins.
International Homo of Mystery

ukoverlander

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Wow, next thing you know they will be adding cheese as a pizza topping.

strfyr51

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:21 pm

I work for UNITED and It's "about damn time". Now let's get on with the Rest of the show !! We can do even better than This!

N766UA

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 3):
I was referring to the fact that nearly customer service improvement on UA has likely already been around for years on another airline!

In 1988 this was SOP in coach.

steex

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 2):

True, though not the best example for these new services since UA flies exclusively 50-seaters to FAR and therefore offers no F seats.

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:55 pm

So the biggest effect of this from the IAH hub will be warm F class meals on IAH-ORD and IAH-DEN., along with FLL and MIA and PHX. Funny how 3 of these pairs have AA competition.
ATL, MSP, and DTW ( competition with DL) are all flown by RJ's, so no worries about 1st class catering there.

jetblastdubai

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 4):
Probably not very many since quite a few of those flights are operated by UAX carriers.

From Bloomberg...RJ flights are included.

[United Airlines (UAL) will add fresh meals on shorter domestic flights, including those made by regional jets, as part of a plan to overhaul food service for travelers in premium cabins.

By mid-2015, meals will replace snack boxes for business-first fliers on North American trips of more than 2 hours, 20 minutes, or 800 miles (1,300 kilometers), Chicago-based United said today in a statement. The change will affect 106 flights on 26 routes.]

ramprat74

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:02 pm

Now get rid of the vending machine coffee and go back to Starbucks.

Noise

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:02 pm

I didn't think the CRJ-700s were equipped with ovens to keep the hot meals warm.

skymiler

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Are we back to the old days of the "food fights"? They flared up a few times in the 80's and '90s, but have become rare now.

Who remembers the old EA commercial (late 70's) with Frank Borman holding an apple while standing in the aisle of what appeared to be a 727 and asking "if one judged an airline by its food" (or similar words).

Airlines are NOT in the restaurant business. There is an old adage about "stick to one's knitting ..."
I love to fly, and it shows!

roseflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Delta seems to be upgrading some of their product offerings in various areas. AA just cut back on catering, so I guess it makes sense for United to improve catering. What gets me excited is that airlines are starting to compete on quality of product again. It has not been since the 1990s when US airlines competed for who offered a better domestic product. Since 2001, every change has been about cost savings and seeing how much they can cut before losing alienating all their passengers.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):
It sounds like some of the new items for F are simply putting the Coach BOB options on a plate. Not that I'm knocking improvements, it'd just be nice to see some differentiation for the premium cabins.

That is exactly what United was serving in 2005. They would serve the exact same wrap or sandwich, but on a plate and heated in the oven. They have separated the meals, but at times you can get a better meal from the buy on board selection that is provided in first class.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Rdh3e

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 4):

UA already serves hot meals in F on flights longer than 1,000 miles. How many mainline flights are between 800 and 1,000 miles? Probably not very many since quite a few of those flights are operated by UAX carriers.
Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 13):
From Bloomberg...RJ flights are included.

Yep RJ's included. Very important considering the high profile of some of the E175 routes and a much needed step up on routes that other 70 seaters have been flying for ages.

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 14):
Now get rid of the vending machine coffee and go back to Starbucks.

The Kona coffee is much better than Starbucks. If you like your coffee to taste like it was "roasted" in a blast furnace for 10 days then sure, Starbucks. I'd much rather keep the Kona, and it since it's a Hawaiian brand it reinforces UA's commitment to the islands in travelers minds.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/products-services/pages/new-united-cups-call-for-new-coffee.aspx

[Edited 2014-08-21 11:18:38]

jetwet1

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Quoting FlyAAS80 (Reply 6):
Regardless of serving them or not, hot meals on United still leaves quite a bit to be desired... Coming from the airline that served cheeseburgers in first class. An upgrade would be to stop at the golden arches before getting on their first class product. Why don't they take a page from VS?

I'm not sure UA really wants to follow VS, I have had some dire meals in Upper on VS, to the point of requesting a meal from Premium instead.

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 17):
What gets me excited is that airlines are starting to compete on quality of product again.

Isn't that the truth, as someone who actually pays for F rather than praying to the upgrade gods while sitting at the gate it is nice to see services starting to return.

MAH4546

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Interesting to see how US Airways reacts to this.

Meals matter these days perhaps more than they have in a long time, despite what people try to claim.
a.

roseflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 20):
Interesting to see how US Airways reacts to this.

Meals matter these days perhaps more than they have in a long time, despite what people try to claim.

Maybe American will rethink the 1000 mile policy. I remember US Airways had a 3.5 hour rule. I flew STL-PHX-SEA with a 35 minute connection in F thinking that I would get a meal since flights were 1262 and 1107 miles, but they offered nothing more than a snack basket and enough alcohol to make the entire first class cabin pass out. They were the worst. With how tightly banked the PHX hub is, unless you pack a lunch, you can seriously go 7 hours with no food. United was never that bad.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

AV8AJET

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Quoting Noise (Reply 15):
I didn't think the CRJ-700s were equipped with ovens to keep the hot meals warm.

But they can be added.
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

ckfred

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Quoting curiousflyer (Reply 5):

Hot meals! Foccacia! So luxurious! And with exquisite $5 wine, that the flight attndants artfully describe as "white", "red" or "champagne" (like champagne can be bought for $5 a bottle).

Obviously, you've never had Charles Shaw, a/k/a 2-Buck Chuck. I like Charles Shaw's Merlot better than a lot of Merlots that cost $15 to $20 a bottle.

While I agree that $5 champagne is awful (I'm thinking Cook's from New York State), you can't go wrong with Korbel, which is often on sale at my grocery store for $9.99 a bottle. I don't think there's that much difference between Korbel and Domaind Chandon or Domaind Carneros, which cost $5 to $10 a bottle more.

And I don't know about UA, but F/As on AA will ask if you want cabernet sauvignon or charddoney, or whatever varieties were put in the first class galley.

SouthernDC9

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 17):
Delta seems to be upgrading some of their product offerings in various areas. AA just cut back on catering, so I guess it makes sense for United to improve catering.

I flew first on AA last month and they had a breakfast skillet thing - I was really pretty amazed at how good it was... like, I've sort of been craving one, it's that serious. And the biscuits they serve are better than they have any right to be - not like Mama's or Memaw's, but considering that you're on a plane, it's pretty impressive.

I hope AA isn't changing to the US model, where it's like one of the FAs stops off at the 7-11 on her way to the airport and just grabs some stuff to hand out to the passengers... every time I fly first on US I keep expecting a crew member to take a gummy bear out of their pocket and offer me that. "They're real warm and soft..."

I flew CO in coach right before 9/11 from CLE-DCA and they served sandwiches, which was pretty nice for a quick little hop like that...

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 3):

The response to your original comment reminds me once again that somebody should start a blog like Literally Unbelievable about obviously tongue-in-cheek comments (which is how I read your post) that are taken completely seriously on A.net...
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

MAH4546

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 24):
I hope AA isn't changing to the US model, where it's like one of the FAs stops off at the 7-11 on her way to the airport and just grabs some stuff to hand out to the passengers... every time I fly first on US I keep expecting a crew member to take a gummy bear out of their pocket and offer me that. "They're real warm and soft..."

AA is keeping the same meals, but is reducing the amount of flights on which it is served to industry-worst windows.
a.

atct

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 pm

We were doing this at Continental in 2006...
Trikes are for kids!

unitedchicago

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 19):
The Kona coffee is much better than Starbucks. If you like your coffee to taste like it was "roasted" in a blast furnace for 10 days then sure, Starbucks. I'd much rather keep the Kona, and it since it's a Hawaiian brand it reinforces UA's commitment to the islands in travelers minds.

oh thank goodness that crap coffee is gone. it was truly terrible. is the kona coffee in definite circulation at this point?

ikramerica

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 23):

I am not a wine snob and believe most middle tier wines are preferred based on marketing not quality and many expensive wines are priced on snobbery, but 2 buck chuck is poor wine (at least the Chardonnay) and any champagne under $50 is not worth drinking unless you enjoy hangovers.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

masseybrown

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 24):
I flew CO in coach right before 9/11 from CLE-DCA and they served sandwiches, which was pretty nice for a quick little hop like that...

Back in the day, NW served hot meals on that route on Electras, which actually had faster block times (55 mins) than today's jets (~1 hour 20 mins.).

777STL

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 21):
I flew STL-PHX-SEA with a 35 minute connection in F thinking that I would get a meal since flights were 1262 and 1107 miles, but they offered nothing more than a snack basket and enough alcohol to make the entire first class cabin pass out.

I just flew STL-PHX in F this weekend and that was my exact experience. I think I had three Jack and Cokes and only a bag of chips and a banana as sustenance.
PHX based

AVENSAB727

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 26):

Then United is following Continental's lead in some way.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

jaybird

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:54 pm

If customer service doesn't improve - it won't make a difference what food is served.

scbriml

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Weanwhile, back in 2005, Emirates was serving a hot three-course meal on a 45 minute flight from DXB to DOH in business.

Even BA serves a hot cooked breakfast in economy on the red-eye LHR-ABZ flight (about a one hour flight).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

philvardon

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Quoting curiousflyer (Reply 5):
And with exquisite $5 wine, that the flight attndants artfully describe as "white", "red" or "champagne" (like champagne can be bought for $5 a bottle).
Quoting ckfred (Reply 23):
While I agree that $5 champagne is awful (I'm thinking Cook's from New York State), you can't go wrong with Korbel, which is often on sale at my grocery store for $9.99 a bottle. I don't think there's that much difference between Korbel and Domaind Chandon or Domaind Carneros, which cost $5 to $10 a bottle more.

I'm just wondering what you mean by champagne? Here in Europe there is strict control on what can and cannot be called champagne. I can't imagine anyone ever being able to get champagne for less than £20 (~$35) - and that would be for really horrid cheap stuff.

Curiousflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 pm

I mean that they call any bubbly champagne, and of course it is not. And if you try and explain the difference to them (or any American FA to be honest) they look at you like you are the worst snob on earth. And I fully agree with the earlier post that drinking a bubbly which is not champagne pretty much guarantees a hangover.

Overall it is pathetic and pretentious to call a sandwich a meal and a bargain basement sparkler a champagne.

Lots of restaurant in the US call anything champagne to be honest, there is also a lot of abuse with cheese names (Danish blue, Parmigiano or Brie from NJ is laughable).

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Quoting philvardon (Reply 34):
I can't imagine anyone ever being able to get champagne for less than £20 (~$35) - and that would be for really horrid cheap stuff.

Champagne used to describe some brands of American-produced sparkling wine is allowed by trade agreement:

Trade agreement preserves 'California Champagne'

Curiousflyer

Korbel, Domaine Chandon and Domaine Carneros are not champagne.

Korbel dares writing "champagne" on their label and it is ridiculous and annoying. Just taking advantage of ignorants. Drink a true champagne, you will understand.

CO777DAL

As someone who has been flying Continental now United since 1998!

Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

kgaiflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Regardless of serving them or not, hot meals on United still leaves quite a bit to be desired... Coming from the airline that served cheeseburgers in first class.

Hey - If I lose my (fake--but not bad) Egg McMuffin on my 6am DCA-IAH, there will be trouble  

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:13 pm

For completeness, United's official announcement. I didn't see this posted upthread:

United Airlines Makes Significant New Investment in In-flight Food and Beverage Service

deregul8n

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:37 pm

United has always served meals in first. Recently they pulled meals off on flights like IAH-MCO but they continued serving them to MIA. Also on late flights you do get a light snack. On Delta it could be a transcon, doesn't matter. If it's after 9 you get the dreaded snack basket. UA is moving in the right direction by putting meals on regionals.

RyanairGuru

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:44 pm

The most significant change IMHO isn't that you might now get a sandwich on an 850mi flight, but that they are going to be replacing the ExPlus snack boxes with "freshly prepared meal choices". That's a HUGE step up in passenger experience.

I guess that's Jeff for ya  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ozark1

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Coming from the airline that served cheeseburgers in first class.

When we served them on AA in F/C they were enormously popular---but wow what a mess they were to plate. I think that is why we stopped serving from a cart. Many a time I would be assembling the burger, with cheese stringing everywhere, then taking a bun out of a separate bag, then getting the chips, etc. I far preferred doing it all in the galley and taking the tray out after plating it. I guess what I'm getting at is that it's difficult to gauge exactly what the passengers want, and to be honest, I would say, especially on breakfast or lunch flights, half the passengers don't eat.

Motorhussy

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:59 pm

It's not entirely clear to me whether this is hot meals in all classes on UA flights over X distance or if it's just for First. I took it as meaning across the cabin as many regular business fliers will take the Y cabin on shorter flights.

And just to clarify further, an 850-mile flight is of 95-minutes (approx) on a smaller narrow-body jet yes?
come visit the south pacific

dc9er

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeaah......

That's what top end fliers want.....more f*cking airline food.

Dream on.....it's made in a horrible facility, sits in a truck. then an airplane, and then warmed up....almost enough to kill the bacteria....then eaten.

Yeah....that's exactly what the top shelf flyers are looking for......warmed up bacteria.......

airzim

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Quoting curiousflyer (Reply 35):
And I fully agree with the earlier post that drinking a bubbly which is not champagne pretty much guarantees a hangover.

That's a pretty broad statement.

Champagne is just an enforced naming convention given the region in France. No different than most wines and spirits named in France.

But you can have fantastic sparkling wine that isn't champers, as long as they follow the tradition of méthode champenoise and other methods that are fermented naturally, rather than through the injection of CO2 (which is a hang over producer)

What United will serve is Presseco with used the Metodo Martinotti process (non CO2)

brilondon

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:42 pm

I quite agree.

Quoting Noise (Reply 15):

They will have microwave ovens more than likely.

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 14):
Now get rid of the vending machine coffee and go back to Starbucks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Quoting dc9er (Reply 45):
Yeaah......

That's what top end fliers want.....more f*cking airline food.

Dream on.....it's made in a horrible facility, sits in a truck. then an airplane, and then warmed up....almost enough to kill the bacteria....then eaten.

Yeah....that's exactly what the top shelf flyers are looking for......warmed up bacteria.......

Yes, why don't we just buy a decent meal at the airport or at a restaurant on our way to the airport and not have to endure the awful tasting crap that they pass as a meal on these flights.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

Motorhussy

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 47):
Yes, why don't we just buy a decent meal at the airport or at a restaurant on our way to the airport and not have to endure the awful tasting crap that they pass as a meal on these flights.

Or in your First/Business/Frequent Flyer lounge? That's always what I used to do on my twice weekly 1-hourly commutes between WLG and AKL, in NZ's Koru lounges. When traveling trans-Tasman, it was always too early to eat before the flight so a hot meal on-board was always welcome after a decent coffee and pastry on the ground.

Never thought I'd miss that regular enforced travel with work, but I do.
come visit the south pacific

lpdal

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Cheeseburgers are included in many classy restaurants and cuisines across the globe. McDonald's also serves ice cream, that must mean DL's sundaes are right off the dollar menu!  
Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 1):

FLL-IAH-FLL is the only turn that UA serves that is under a thousand miles, right at 965.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3867/14991046961_c9b5dea614_b.jpg

FLL (26°04'21"N 80°09'10"W) CLE (41°24'34"N 81°51'17"W) 355.2° (N) 1062 mi
FLL (26°04'21"N 80°09'10"W) DEN (39°51'42"N 104°40'23"W) 310.0° (NW) 1703 mi
FLL (26°04'21"N 80°09'10"W) IAH (29°59'04"N 95°20'29"W) 289.7° (W) 965 mi
FLL (26°04'21"N 80°09'10"W) EWR (40°41'33"N 74°10'07"W) 17.4° (N) 1065 mi
FLL (26°04'21"N 80°09'10"W) ORD (41°58'46"N 87°54'27"W) 340.0° (N) 1182 mi
FLL (26°04'21"N 80°09'10"W) SFO (37°37'08"N 122°22'32"W) 298.5° (NW) 2583 mi

Also, I don't get why people purposely select mid haul domestic flights that list "Refreshments" (snack basket) and then complain about the lack of food. At least at FLL, several of the departures have all three main meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) and a couple of straggler "refreshments" flights. I always make every effort to select a flight with meal service.

-LPDAL  
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos