Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AV8AJET

RE: United To Lure Top Fliers With Hot Meals

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:42 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 47):

They will have microwave ovens more than likely.

Not likely, they'll be steam ovens.
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

homer787

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Quoting IAHWorldflyer (Reply 12):

So the biggest effect of this from the IAH hub will be warm F class meals on IAH-ORD and IAH-DEN., along with FLL and MIA and PHX. Funny how 3 of these pairs have AA competition.
ATL, MSP, and DTW ( competition with DL) are all flown by RJ's, so no worries about 1st class catering there.

I can't speak for the other two, but DEN - IAH has had food in F for years.

steex

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:48 pm

I think the argument against this line of thinking is that it's entirely possible to book

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 49):
FLL-IAH-FLL is the only turn that UA serves that is under a thousand miles, right at 965.

The only one at FLL, perhaps, but there are obviously lots of them across the network.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 49):
Also, I don't get why people purposely select mid haul domestic flights that list "Refreshments" (snack basket) and then complain about the lack of food. At least at FLL, several of the departures have all three main meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) and a couple of straggler "refreshments" flights. I always make every effort to select a flight with meal service.

The issue is many people don't have the flexibility to choose their flights by meal, some have to choose specific schedules to meet a need beyond their personal control. The question is whether or not that means those F flyers are not entitled to some kind of meal service.

AirCalSNA

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:09 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 10):
In 1988 this was SOP in coach.

So true ... AirCal served meals to economy on flights from PDX to SFO in the mid 80's.

FlyHossD

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:21 am

Quoting ukoverlander (Reply 8):
Wow, next thing you know they will be adding cheese as a pizza topping.

And - dare I say it? - pillows and blankets again?

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 14):
Now get rid of the vending machine coffee and go back to Starbucks.
Quoting RDH3E (Reply 18):
The Kona coffee is much better than Starbucks. If you like your coffee to taste like it was "roasted" in a blast furnace for 10 days then sure, Starbucks. I'd much rather keep the Kona, and it since it's a Hawaiian brand it reinforces UA's commitment to the islands in travelers minds.

IMHO, Starbucks is better than the Kona coffee. But in any case, it's rare to find a good cup-o-Joe on any airliner these days.

Quoting atct (Reply 26):
We were doing this at Continental in 2006...

True, but that was well before Smisek took over.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

USAirALB

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:27 am

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 54):
pillows and blankets again

I flew the LAX-IAH redeye last Wednesday (1225am departure), and there were sealed blankets placed on every Economy seat. I was pleasantly surprised.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

civetfive

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:28 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 4):

ORD-BOS is 867 miles, but has a mix of E75s and mainline.
IAH-MIA is 964 miles and served 3x by mainline A320s.
IAH-ORD is 925 miles served by a mix of 737 and A320 equipment

Those were the first 3 markets that I thought of. What was the meal situation on these routes previously?

PA110

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:30 am

Quoting skymiler (Reply 16):
Airlines are NOT in the restaurant business. There is an old adage about "stick to one's knitting ..."

There was a time when catering in First Class was a very nice way to dine. PanAm had a proper caviar service, Their roast was usually done nicely, with all the trimmings - on a transcon flight.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 23):
you can't go wrong with Korbel, which is often on sale at my grocery store for $9.99 a bottle. I don't think there's that much difference between Korbel and Domaind Chandon or Domaind Carneros, which cost $5 to $10 a bottle more.

For the love of all things holy, please do not impose your tastebuds, or lack thereof, on the rest of us!   

Korbel is dreadful. You don't have to serve French Champagne, but in a premium cabin, at least invest in a decent Schramsberg.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

wjcandee

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:42 am

Interesting that nobody seems to have mentioned this:

Upgrading to hot food on a few dozen additional routes actually delivers a product that DL won't BE ABLE to deliver, absent a singificant capital investment, because it has ripped the ovens and galleys out of the fleet that would normally be flying those routes.

I personally have become accustomed to receiving minimal catering on the plane, and instead buying something on the ground if I want it. The absence of short-haul food has also made it financially-viable for certain higher-end vendors to open grab-and-go places in terminals (Blue Smoke Grill at JFK for example). So what isn't on the plane is now done, with a good deal of quality and variety, on the ground.

flyaas80

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 48):
Or in your First/Business/Frequent Flyer lounge? That's always what I used to do on my twice weekly 1-hourly commutes between WLG and AKL, in NZ's Koru lounges. When traveling trans-Tasman, it was always too early to eat before the flight so a hot meal on-board was always welcome after a decent coffee and pastry on the ground.

I wish that was the case, but there is nothing decent about United's Club either. There is only so much cheese and crackers one can eat. The best part (in my opinion) was when they had the great little packages of Milano cookies, now they got rid of those too, replaced by some crappy bulk cookies.

Quoting brilondon (Reply 47):
Yes, why don't we just buy a decent meal at the airport or at a restaurant on our way to the airport and not have to endure the awful tasting crap that they pass as a meal on these flights.

As others have mentioned, when you are booking-it to catch an earlier flight home and then have to turn a tight connection, that may not be possible. Happens to me more often than not.

There comes a point where people just have to start talking with their wallets. I'm lucky that my company allows me the ability to select my airline when traveling, and I have. I was a (loyal) United Premier Platinum, then took Delta up on their matching program earlier this year, never to look back.
The only way to fly is by the seat of your pants...

9w748capt

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:39 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 48):
Or in your First/Business/Frequent Flyer lounge? That's always what I used to do on my twice weekly 1-hourly commutes between WLG and AKL, in NZ's Koru lounges. When traveling trans-Tasman, it was always too early to eat before the flight so a hot meal on-board was always welcome after a decent coffee and pastry on the ground.

Never thought I'd miss that regular enforced travel with work, but I do.

Mate, if only that's how US domestic lounges worked. In Admirals Clubs usually in the mornings there's fruit and croissants. But the rest of the day? If you want to eat at an AC, you're going to have to pay for it. Omelet? Sure, for 11.99 plus tax and tip.

FlyHossD

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:50 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 55):
I flew the LAX-IAH redeye last Wednesday (1225am departure), and there were sealed blankets placed on every Economy seat. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for that post - I hadn't seen blankets on UAL - or any other American carrier - in quite some time. I wonder if that's only for red-eye UA flights...?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

MSPNWA

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:01 am

Great news for UA customers. To me the biggest part is including this for the regional first class. This is an area where UA can have a clear step ahead of its legacy competition. It's about time the customer gets a nice bone thrown their way.

copter808

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:03 am

Quoting atct (Reply 26):
We were doing this at Continental in 2006...

Yes. but that was BJ (Before Jeffie)! Well, before he was running the show anyway!

lpdal

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:30 am

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 60):

Mate, if only that's how US domestic lounges worked. In Admirals Clubs usually in the mornings there's fruit and croissants. But the rest of the day? If you want to eat at an AC, you're going to have to pay for it. Omelet? Sure, for 11.99 plus tax and tip.
Quoting FlyAAS80 (Reply 59):

I wish that was the case, but there is nothing decent about United's Club either. There is only so much cheese and crackers one can eat. The best part (in my opinion) was when they had the great little packages of Milano cookies, now they got rid of those too, replaced by some crappy bulk cookies.

There is something very decent, no awesome, about United Club memberships that nobody seems to realize: as long as you have your membership card with you with the "Star Alliances Lounges" logo stamped on it, you can get into any Star carrier's Business Class lounge--Lufthansa, ANA, Thai, Air Canada, Air New Zealand....

As an example, I had a few hours in MIA before I departed, so I walked right past the United Club and into the Lufthansa VIP Lounge--and was let in without a hiccup!! Once inside I was shocked at the amount of food in the buffet compared to a normal UA Club. That $550 was so worth it for a year of membership.     

-LPDAL 
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

CO777DAL

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:33 am

I'm very glad UA did this especially with UAX!!! Drives me crazy I can have a nice hot Dinner on EWR-DFW when we get a 737 but a stupid snack box on a flight 3H 45M when it is an ERJ-170! I try to fly on sCO 737s whenever possible. I notice even on flights under 1000 miles if it is at mealtime we still get hot meals in F.

IAH-DEN UA Lunch flight I had a Cheeseburger

UA still has hot meals from Florida to IAH
IAH-FLL Hot food Lunch
Hot Sandwich
HD Food Service in First Class Domestic Light Lunch 737-800 Boeing United
http://youtu.be/M7XNTFVPuY8

IAH-MIA UA gets hot food.
Cheeseburger
3D HD Food Service First Class Domestic Lunch Cheeseburger 737-700 United
http://youtu.be/QB02zVQAQTs

MIA-IAH AA Also serves full food service
Chicken Breast
HD American Airlines Food Service in First Class Domestic Dinner 737-800 Boeing
http://youtu.be/3NcukV0XMGo

IAH-MCO UA Hot Lunch
Burrito
HD Food Service in First Class Domestic Light Lunch 757-300 Boeing United
http://youtu.be/b7pH1xEgsB0

MCO-IAH UA Hot Dinner
Burrito
HD Food Service in First Class Domestic Light Dinner 757-300 Boeing United
http://youtu.be/CV45QB9IVwc?list=PLBC3CAB68EB190AB4

MCO-IAH UA non meal time Cold Plate
HD Food Service in Domestic First Class "Cold Plate" 757-300 Boeing United
http://youtu.be/IFuIkQF12mU
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:39 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 64):
There is something very decent, no awesome, about United Club memberships that nobody seems to realize: as long as you have your membership card with you with the "Star Alliances Lounges" logo stamped on it, you can get into any Star carrier's Business Class lounge--Lufthansa, ANA, Thai, Air Canada, Air New Zealand....

All airline lounge memberships for UA, DL, and AA have reciprocal agreements with other carriers/lounges; UA is the most generous, though.

As an example, I had a few hours in MIA before I departed, so I walked right past the United Club and into the Lufthansa VIP Lounge--and was let in without a hiccup!!

You're mixing airports, as MIA has neither a United Club nor a Senator Lounge. It currently doesn't have a Star Alliance lounge at all, but Avianca is building one.
a.

ramprat74

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 am

The Kona coffee is much better than Starbucks. If you like your coffee to taste like it was "roasted" in a blast furnace for 10 days then sure, Starbucks. I'd much rather keep the Kona, and it since it's a Hawaiian brand it reinforces UA's commitment to the islands in travelers minds.

This "Kona" coffee is from a Dallas, Texas company. It probably has 1% real Kona beans in it. The company couldn't afford to pay for real Kona coffee, seeing it's priced like Gold. It is probably ten times better then the Kova coffee they switched to after the merger though.

N505fx

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:02 am

Not true...I tried that LAX and was denied, because I wasn't ticketed on LH, LX, SQ or any of the other carriers that use the Star lounge or TBIT.

ikramerica

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:50 am

Quoting n505fx (Reply 68):
Not true...I tried that LAX and was denied, because I wasn't ticketed on LH, LX, SQ or any of the other carriers that use the Star lounge or TBIT.

That's what I thought, you must be ticketed or with a ticketed passenger.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

N505fx

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 am

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 65):
MCO-IAH UA non meal time Cold Plate
HD Food Service in Domestic First Class "Cold Plate" 757-300 Boeing United
http://youtu.be/IFuIkQF12mU

That looks like the pre-merger catering too...the crap that everyone raved about and thought CO was so great for serving!

lpdal

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:56 am

Your anecdotal experience is not fact, and according to the *A website calculator, some of those lounges should have let you in provided you have a genuine United Club Card with the Star Alliance logo. Sometimes the agents need to be brought up to speed, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 69):

Yes...On a Star Alliance carrier, same day, which would be United. So provided you have a United Club card with a Star Alliance logo and any same-day Star Alliance carrier ticket...I thought I was directing this at UA pax who have memberships for the UA club...

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 66):
You're mixing airports, as MIA has neither a United Club nor a Senator Lounge. It currently doesn't have a Star Alliance lounge at all, but Avianca is building one.

Now where did I say anything about specific Senator lounge type? LH has a contracted lounge in MIA, it's called the VIP Lounge and is operated by Club America:

Quoting Lufthansa Lounge Information:

Contract Lounge
Airport Miami International, FL
Location Concourse J, after the security checkpoint past Gate J5. Take private lounge elevators or escalators to the third level
Name VIP Lounge
Opening hours 4:00 am - 12:30 am - no pets allowed

I would know...considering I actually went inside and uhh...used the lounge....?  

-LPDAL

[Edited 2014-08-21 22:59:51]
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

N505fx

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 71):
Your anecdotal experience is not fact, and according to the *A website calculator, some of those lounges should have let you in provided you have a genuine United Club Card with the Star Alliance logo. Sometimes the agents need to be brought up to speed, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Yep, I ad my actual United Club card with *A logo and my 1K card with *A gold logo but flying on BA, connecting to LX in LHR, ticketed on BA from LAX-LHR and LX from LHR-BCN. Agent and supervisor both advised me that I had to be traveling on United Code share or Star Alliance partner flight that day to access the international lounge with my UC card, otherwise I could use the UC in terminal 6 or 7, so I just got out my Lounge Club card and used the KAL Club at that point.

lpdal

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:15 am

Quoting n505fx (Reply 72):
Agent and supervisor both advised me that I had to be traveling on United Code share or Star Alliance partner flight that day to access the international lounge with my UC card,

Oh, well that explains it. You need the card AND a Star Alliance same-day Star Alliance carrier boarding pass, but I thought I had said that already. What I was saying is that if you're at a major international airport with a foreign Star Carrier lounge and you're flying domestically on UA, according to the T&C you CAN use Star Alliance lounges provided you have a United Club Membership Card/*A gold card AND a same-day Star Alliance Ticket.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2014-08-21 23:18:51]

CO777DAL

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:16 am

Quoting n505fx (Reply 70):
That looks like the pre-merger catering too...the crap that everyone raved about and thought CO was so great for serving!

It is still around after the merger. There is an update to this which appeared in 2013. It is called "Mediterranean Cold Plate"

IAD-DFW UA "Mediterranean Cold Plate"
HD United Airlines Food Service First Class Domestic "Mediterranean Cold Plate" 737-700
http://youtu.be/ZNk_ol6gjCc

I was pissed to get this instead of hot food from IAD to DFW during the ‘dinner time” window. It was sad, and the F/As were apologizing to everyone in First Class. We should have hot food on that flight! I will say this; I will gladly take the old Cold Plate over this crap.

I will be SOOOO happy when UA finally changes Breakfast. UA serves the old CO Breakfast that CO has been serving since the dinosaurs were walking the earth. I'm for real, as along as I have ever flown CO this is the First Class Breakfast. UA have cut back over the past two years to where shorter flights don't get the full breakfast below.

IAH-EWR UA Same ole Hot Breakfast
HD 767 Food Service in First Class Domestic Breakfast BusinessFirst Cabin United
http://youtu.be/N-Y9OhQ8Obk
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:16 am

LH has a contracted lounge in MIA, it's called the VIP Lounge and is operated by Club America:

The VIP Lounge is operated by LAN Airlines, not Club America anymore (might have been when you visited), and Lufthansa/Swiss premium passengers can use it. You were allowed in by a lazy gate keeper as it is not part of the Star Alliance lounge network and you got lucky. But given that a group of employees running the club before LAN took it over just got arrested for embezzling $2.1M from airlines, I don't think they really cared who they let in.

It is fact. In order to access a non-United Club as a club member, you need to be flying on United or a partner airline. That is unlike accessing a United Club, where you can access it regardless, even by requesting a gate pass.
a.

lpdal

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:24 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 75):
It is fact. In order to access a non-United Club as a club member, you need to be flying on United or a partner airline. That is unlike accessing a United Club, where you can access it regardless, even by requesting a gate pass.

Of course you need a Star Alliance boarding pass, why would they let you in if you're flying Delta or American even if you had the proper UA cards...?

and Lufthansa/Swiss premium passengers can use it. You were allowed in by a lazy gate keeper as it is not part of the Star Alliance lounge network and you got lucky.

Were you behind me in line or something...?

-LPDAL

[Edited 2014-08-21 23:26:52]

RyanairGuru

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 am

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 67):
This "Kona" coffee is from a Dallas, Texas company. It probably has 1% real Kona beans in it.

To use the word "Kona" it must be from Kona. On the other hand, "Hawaiian" coffee is almost always the crap that was rejected from being "Kona" certified.

Quoting n505fx (Reply 72):
Agent and supervisor both advised me that I had to be traveling on United Code share or Star Alliance partner flight that day to access the international lounge with my UC card

As said, you must be on UA/Star metal. That said I thought that United Club (and previously US Airways Club) were carved out of the normal Star Alliance access provisions, and you had to be a status FF to access partner lounges.

You were allowed in by a lazy gate keeper

Worked Hard, Flew Right

MAH4546

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:41 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 76):
and Lufthansa/Swiss premium passengers can use it. You were allowed in by a lazy gate keeper as it is not part of the Star Alliance lounge network and you got lucky.

Were you behind me in line or something...?

Didn't need to be. There is currently no Star Alliance Lounge at MIA to be allowed into. You were not supposed to be let in. It's a oneWorld lounge.
a.

lpdal

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:48 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 78):

Well, I guess I got lucky then!  

-LPDAL

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:12 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 77):
To use the word "Kona" it must be from Kona. On the other hand, "Hawaiian" coffee is almost always the crap that was rejected from being "Kona" certified.

Kona 'blend', which is what UA serves, only has to have 10% Kona coffee in it in order to avoid having the Kona Coffee Farmers Association get after them.

Safeway Settles Kona Coffee Blend Mislabeling Lawsuit
International Homo of Mystery

jetblastdubai

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:07 am

Very important considering the high profile of some of the E175 routes

With the popularity of the E175s and also considering that UA actually owns some of the E175 that some regionals fly, what are the chances of UA actually moving these A/C to the mainline fleet and staffing them with UA employees.

I know UA ALPA has provisions for a 100-seat A/C in the contract language but I'm guessing that frequent flyers are going to love these new, smaller planes a lot more than expected. I realize that the crew costs will be a bit higher with a mainline crew but UA would have more control over the consistency of the overall onboard product. Additionally,they'd be able to market the flights as mainline flights and not "this flight operated by United Express"...something that many probably dread seeing on their itinerary.

kgaiflyer

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 74):
I will be SOOOO happy when UA finally changes Breakfast. UA serves the old CO Breakfast that CO has been serving since the dinosaurs were walking the earth

I've always wondered if that triangle-cut of broccoli-cauliflower-mashed potatoes had a name. Tasty, but I've never seen it anywhere except on pmCO/sUA.

flyaas80

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Great, now tell me where those phenomenal clubs are when I'm traveling in or out of Terminal 1 at ORD or B concourse at DEN. Oh, wait... There aren't any.

Considering I was born, raised, and spent the better part of my adult life in Chicago, I want nothing more than for United (Chicago's hometown airline) to succeed and be prosperous. But when they have sub-par clubs, sub-par first class product, and better customer service to be found at Costco, the writing is on the wall.

MaverickM11

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Quoting FlyAAS80 (Reply 83):
Great, now tell me where those phenomenal clubs are when I'm traveling in or out of Terminal 1 at ORD or B concourse at DEN. Oh, wait... There aren't any.

They have *a* new club in ORD F which is pretty nice, probably the nicest club at ORD period. It will take a while to overhaul all the other dumps at ORD.

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 65):
Drives me crazy I can have a nice hot Dinner on EWR-DFW when we get a 737 but a stupid snack box on a flight 3H 45M when it is an ERJ-170!

The explus F service is an insult to the customer. I've been in a CR7 F wishing I was in Y.
I don't take responsibility at all

airzim

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 73):
Oh, well that explains it. You need the card AND a Star Alliance same-day Star Alliance carrier boarding pass, but I thought I had said that already. What I was saying is that if you're at a major international airport with a foreign Star Carrier lounge and you're flying domestically on UA, according to the T&C you CAN use Star Alliance lounges provided you have a United Club Membership Card/*A gold card AND a same-day Star Alliance Ticket.

While this is theoretically true, there are many examples of Star Gold members/Lounge members, on same day domestic United tickets rejected from the Sliver Kris and EVA Air lounges in SFO , and the Senators Lounge in DTW. The excuse is not having enough space to accommodate Star Gold members and their own business class passengers.

The challenge with your story in MIA is there is no United Club there. So you could not have walked past the United Club to the "Star Alliance" lounge since that also doesn't exist. It is one of my main issues with MIA that I find it odd that there was never a *Alliance lounge in MIA for such a large airport served by many * carriers.

Rdh3e

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:58 pm

The best part (in my opinion) was when they had the great little packages of Milano cookies

Or back when there were the chocolate covered pretzels. Yummm!

I wish that was the case, but there is nothing decent about United's Club either. There is only so much cheese and crackers one can eat.

There is also fruit, bagels, croissants, toast, and yogurt. At the minimum. I agree it's not great, but it's something. The thing is, UA knows how to do a lounge right, see the NRT lounge or the new LHR lounge. But it's just too expensive to do that at every lounge.

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 61):
I wonder if that's only for red-eye UA flights...?

It is standard on all red-eye flights, I believe including the CR7 redeyes to IAH.

That $550 was so worth it for a year of membership.

Get the Chase credit card and save $150/yr. I believe it's $395 for the CC which comes with the membership and also gets you free checked bag, and premier access.

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 69):
That's what I thought, you must be ticketed or with a ticketed passenger.

I think it's really more of an issue state-side. In FRA I've used the lounges with my UA membership in the LH clubs even when travelling on a zed ticket.

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 81):
what are the chances of UA actually moving these A/C to the mainline fleet and staffing them with UA employees

Zero.

codc10

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:58 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 81):
With the popularity of the E175s and also considering that UA actually owns some of the E175 that some regionals fly, what are the chances of UA actually moving these A/C to the mainline fleet and staffing them with UA employees.

None.

I think the smallest mainline aircraft you'll see at UA any time in the near future will be in the 110-130 seat range.

flyaas80

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 84):
They have *a* new club in ORD F which is pretty nice, probably the nicest club at ORD period. It will take a while to overhaul all the other dumps at ORD.

You are correct, aesthetically and decor wise, it is a very nice club. Especially with that great view of the US and DL ramp. But we still go back to the same food options. I will say that thankfully you can still get the complimentary hard liquor. I thought for-sure UA was going to follow-suit with US and drop it to beer and wine only.

MaverickM11

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Quoting FlyAAS80 (Reply 88):
But we still go back to the same food options.

Where are they better? AA is the same with maybe the addition of one additional cookie. I haven't been to a US carrier lounge in years where the free food was worth a damn.
I don't take responsibility at all

codc10

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 84):
The explus F service is an insult to the customer. I've been in a CR7 F wishing I was in Y.

Fortunately, that is changing.

That $550 was so worth it for a year of membership

That's not something I hear often...

dtw2hyd

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Not sure who started this brilliant marketing campaign, one cannot "Lure" top fliers with "Hot Meals". Sounds like a campaign to lure homeless to soup kitchen with a hot meal. Find some other headline.
All posts are just opinions.

Carfield

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:51 pm

I am never a big fan of United, but always enjoy their soup services.

But I can't help to notice the irony that American Airlines (Well Parker's US Airways) is cutting back in catering in domestic premium cabin and is basically taking way the fresh food service on American Eagle/Envoy CRJ-700/EMB-175 flights. AA will introduce a new gourmet lunch box on those Envoy cabin, while United is reintroducing fresh food on its United Express First class cabin. I am high suspicious about those gourmet lunch boxes and whatever airlines call a box "gourmet," you gotta have question marks in your head. But I am glad that United Airlines is trying to improve service on those two-class RJ flights. It is interesting to see how American will react. It is possibly too late now to go back on these cuts, as it takes a while for airlines to change its catering orders. However, they can always reintroduce these meals and snacks. It is rather sad that American Envoy/Eagle will be the only airline out of the big three majors that does not offer a proper fresh meal on its long haul two class RJ flights. I hope AA knows what it is doing! I still don't like Parker's new AA!

I am curious to see these new meals will look like on both AA and UA soon! Curious if Delta will step up its games too. Honestly Delta catering is a pretty weak spot on non-premium transcontinental domestic flights. Delta is pretty bad when it comes to food on domestic flights, except Premium Transcontinental SFO/LAX/SEA-JFK!

Carfield

[Edited 2014-08-22 07:55:46]

Rdh3e

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 91):
Not sure who started this brilliant marketing campaign, one cannot "Lure" top fliers with "Hot Meals". Sounds like a campaign to lure homeless to soup kitchen with a hot meal. Find some other headline.

That was ABC that came up with that, not United. It's just the title of an article don't get bent out of shape.

NickLAX

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:13 pm

For a moment I thought they would match AA's Free snack/meal + alcoholic beverage that is down for EXP's and do the same for 1K's. Most 1K's and Plats on UA do NOT see a great upgrade rate as they did pre-merger. So any "improvement" to meals in First is useless when many don't see upgrades coming through. Doing something for those upper elites that don't get upgraded would have been a better move.

I'm a United 2 Million Mile Flyer, 1K last 20 years and to be honest I'm treated as well as a Premier was 15 years ago. I was constantly # 5-10 on the upgrade list. Saw an upgrade hit rate in the US domestic (NONE of these were in demand routes either) of 30%. International upgrades were abysmal on routes I flew. When you do get upgraded the food is just awful. NONE of these issues were a problem pre merger and I even flew CO pre merger and had no issues on upgrades as a CO Gold.

Grass is NEVER greener on an airline switch but now flying AA/US as a Platinum (about to be EXP in the next 60 days): 70% upgrade rate domestic - and I'm NOT even a top tier flyer yet. 50% on my AA Intl flights. Upgrades clearing most of the time right at the upgrade window or well before online check in. Meals on the upgraded segments that are actually good. Crews that are not as pissed off as UA. By Jan/Feb I'll be 1 Million Mile status on AA - means not much but gives me basic elite status for life.

Rdh3e

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Quoting NickLAX (Reply 94):
Doing something for those upper elites that don't get upgraded would have been a better move.

Part of the "problem" is that people are actually buying (what a novel concept) their first class seats. I know that many FF's don't have this option necessarily, but what do you want the airline to do? Not allow people to book F just so FF's can get their upgrades? Ain't gonna happen.

jetblue1965

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 95):
Part of the "problem" is that people are actually buying (what a novel concept) their first class seats. I know that many FF's don't have this option necessarily, but what do you want the airline to do? Not allow people to book F just so FF's can get their upgrades? Ain't gonna happen.

I can't speak for other routes, but for NYC-LAS, I frequently see UA quoting $500 one-way UP fares for F cabin while AA rarely, if ever, goes below $1000 (and these are for domestic F, not LAS-LAX-JFK on their flagship 321T product). That's probably one method to preserve the F upgrade rates by pricing paid F in the stratosphere.

ckfred

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 28):
I am not a wine snob and believe most middle tier wines are preferred based on marketing not quality and many expensive wines are priced on snobbery, but 2 buck chuck is poor wine (at least the Chardonnay) and any champagne under $50 is not worth drinking unless you enjoy hangovers.

I've drunk a lot of what you call cheap champagne and never had a hangover. Yes, Taittenger's is better than Korbel, but the difference in quality doesn't justify a difference of $30 to $40 a bottle. Now, Dom Perignon does justify the price difference with Korbel, or Domaine Chandon (which is the house champagne for Hyatt Hotels), or Domaine Ste. Michelle, or Mumm Napa. But the only time I had Dom Perignon was New Year's Eve, 1999.

As for Charles Shaw, I'm not that much of a Chardonnay drinker. I tend to drink German wines like Riesling and Gewurtzraminer. But, I probably have to spend at least $25 or $30 to get a Merlot that is as enjoyable as Charles Shaw.

Quoting philvardon (Reply 34):
I'm just wondering what you mean by champagne?

In the U.S., to be called champagne means using methode champenoise. Or at least that's what they explained on the tour at the Korbel winery in Sonoma County, CA about 15 years ago. I know that the rest of the world thinks that if a sparkling wine that isn't from the Champagne region of France, then it isn't champagne.

But, that's like onion farmers in Georgia that claim a vidallia onion isn't a true vidallia onion, if it wasn't grown near Vidallia, Georgia, or the state of Tennessee thinks that to be sour mash, it must be distilled, aged, and bottled in Tennessee.

ikramerica

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:54 pm

This I did not know, and it's good to know. If I ever get a lounge card again that is...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:52 pm

You need the card AND a Star Alliance same-day Star Alliance carrier boarding pass, but I thought I had said that already. What I was saying is that if you're at a major international airport with a foreign Star Carrier lounge and you're flying domestically on UA, according to the T&C you CAN use Star Alliance lounges provided you have a United Club Membership Card/*A gold card AND a same-day Star Alliance Ticket.

Without trying to be pedantic or picayune, my understanding was that you only needed *A Gold elite status, not United Club membership as well, to access lounges run by *A members. The link below from March 2014 gives the example of a traveler departing IAD as a *A gold on a domestic U.S. flight:

Accessing Lufthansa Lounges when flying Domestically as a Star Alliance Gold

Quote:
Washington Dulles has Lufthansa Senator & Business lounges near gate B49 that are perfectly accessible from the rest of the terminal. While little-known, it’s entirely possible for any Star Alliance Gold member to walk right into the Senator Lounge with nothing other than their boarding pass and Gold card.

Even more strange is that with Lufthansa’s separation of their Senator Lounge (for first class and Star Alliance Gold) and their Business Lounge (for business class), Star gold passengers on a $50 ticket flying 200 miles have access to a better lounge than full fare business class passengers flying across the Atlantic ocean!

The link has a reference to the relevant *A rules on this. Select 'Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class' from the menu:

Quote:
    Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status

Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport

Customer is entitled to one guest

United Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
International Homo of Mystery

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos