LAXintl
Topic Author

AA Reaches Deal With Piedmont Pilots- Jets Likely

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:02 pm

Piedmont pilots reach new contract with American management

Pilots at Piedmont Airlines, which is a wholly-owned regional carrier at American Airlines Group, have reached a new tentative agreement that could possibly bring larger regional jets to Piedmont.

The agreement also provides Piedmont pilots with the opportunity to get hired at American Airlines or US Airways mainline operations.

"After careful consideration and discussion, the MEC believes that the tentative agreements are in the best interest of Piedmont pilots," the union leaders told its members on Friday afternoon. American said it was pleased that the union leaders unanimously support the new agreement.

Piedmont is a regional carrier that currently operates under the US Airways Express brand using 44 deHavilland DHC-8 turbo prop aircraft. It employs about 350 pilots and is headquartered in Salisbury, Maryland.

Story:
http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_t...ract-with-american-management.html

=

So sounds like PDT will be likely be future home of some of the 60 E175s on order. 20 have already been contracted to Compass.

Per PDT ALPA, member ratification voting will occur through Sept. 16th.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Bobloblaw

RE: AA Reaches Deal With Piedmont Pilots- Jets Likely

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:24 pm

Gotta be ratified first. That is no small task these days.

G500

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:36 pm

If there is one airline that's been waiting for jets for many many years, its Piedmont

ERJ170

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:10 am

Oh I wish they would get some Q400 or ATR42/72 also.....
Aiming High and going far..

OzarkD9S

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:04 am

Quoting G500 (Reply 2):

If there is one airline that's been waiting for jets for many many years, its Piedmont

Unintentional Irony Alert!  
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

GSP psgr

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:00 am

I still think that over the long term, there's a role for a 70 seat prop for the new AA, particularly out of Charlotte and to a lesser extent Philadelphia.

hufftheweevil

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:41 am

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
So sounds like PDT will be likely be future home of some of the 60 E175s on order. 20 have already been contracted to Compass.
Quoting GSP psgr (Reply 5):
I still think that over the long term, there's a role for a 70 seat prop for the new AA, particularly out of Charlotte and to a lesser extent Philadelphia.

The problem with PDT getting E175s is that if they are meant to serve as some sort of replacement to the -8s, it will be difficult to utilize them at PHL because Terminal F is not capable of handling E-Jets. So I agree with GSPpsgr that we will continue to see props to some extent.
Huff

USAirALB

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:50 am

IMHO, Piedmont desperately needs a next-gen turboprop replacement. Several cities currently served today by Piedmont (HHH/FLR/SBY/HTS/LYH/PGV) will be in danger of losing connecting commercial air service if no replacement for the turboprops is made.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

KD5MDK

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:49 am

Any word on how this compares to Envoy, PSA, etc?

cosyr

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:53 pm

How about Skywest's Mitsubishis? I still can't think how OO is going to use them?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:42 pm

On talk of props, prior to the merger US did look at the ATR72 with it making a personal appearance at Piedmont HQ even.

Maybe now if the TA is ratified, AA will have better understanding and confidence of where PDT fits in the grand scheme of things a replacement prop review can be undertaken.

twincessna340a

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 7):
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):

I live in HHH and as things are right now the ATR72 is too big. ASA brought them in seasonally with service to ATL but were capacity restricted by half. Even the current Das8 100/200s go out weight restricted on the hotter days of the summer. Now if the town would stop kowtowing to NIMBYs.....

Regardless I will miss the Dash 8. It is one of my favorite airplanes with such amazing sounds coming from those PT6s!

commavia

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:46 pm

IMHO, Piedmont desperately needs a next-gen turboprop replacement.

Agreed.

I still think there is room for props in the combined network - and not just at the USAirways hubs.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):
On talk of props, prior to the merger US did look at the ATR72 with it making a personal appearance at Piedmont HQ even.

Maybe now if the TA is ratified, AA will have better understanding and confidence of where PDT fits in the grand scheme of things a replacement prop review can be undertaken.

Quoting twincessna340a (Reply 11):
I live in HHH and as things are right now the ATR72 is too big. ASA brought them in seasonally with service to ATL but were capacity restricted by half. Even the current Das8 100/200s go out weight restricted on the hotter days of the summer. Now if the town would stop kowtowing to NIMBYs.....

Honestly, I think HHH may well be a market that simply loses commercial air service altogether, given that it apparently has operational trouble handling 50-seat props (let alone larger props, or jets) and given that it's so close to another airport (SAV) that already has such extensive air service. Yes, I recognize HHH is a distinct market and, while almost entirely leisure, skews more premium given the clientele, but I'm still not sure it can continue to sustain air service as suitable aircraft becoming relatively more scarce, and thus the opportunity cost of dedicating them to HHH rises.

Flighty

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Quoting GSP psgr (Reply 5):

You're more correct than you know. According to the above, they looked at ATR72s. I can say they looked at Q400s too. Your point about CLT is correct. But they just don't make financial sense. Cost as much as RJs. Meanwhile, RJs get more and more fuel efficient.

Quoting commavia (Reply 12):
Yes, I recognize HHH is a distinct market

HHH is not a big deal. It's just there, so they serve it. I was astounded to learn Piedmont still has 44 DH8s.

GSP psgr

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Given the price differential between the ATR72 and Q400, I think AA'd be better off with the ATR. The particular missions that I had in mind were high frequency shorthaul into Charlotte to markets like CAE, GSP, TYS, GSO, FAY, OAJ, AVL, ILM, CHO, and TRI where speed is less important.

OzarkD9S

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Quoting GSP+psgr" class="quote" target="_blank">GSP psgr (Reply 14):

Given the price differential between the ATR72 and Q400, I think AA'd be better off with the ATR. The particular missions that I had in mind were high frequency shorthaul into Charlotte to markets like CAE, GSP, TYS, GSO, FAY, OAJ, AVL, ILM, CHO, and TRI where speed is less important.

Similar missions out of PHL come to mind as well.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

commavia

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Quoting GSP+psgr" class="quote" target="_blank">GSP psgr (Reply 14):

Agreed. The existing USAirways Express/Piedmont prop markets out of PHL/CLT, and some of the currently-RJ markets operated by Eagle (primarily Envoy) out of DFW/MIA/ORD that I think could/should be transitioned to props, aren't all that long in terms of stage length. On such sectors, I agree that the relative speed differential between the ATR72 and the Q400 likely does not compensate for the ATR's supierior economics. I, too, think the ATR is the answer.

twincessna340a

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 12):
Honestly, I think HHH may well be a market that simply loses commercial air service altogether, given that it apparently has operational trouble handling 50-seat props (let alone larger props, or jets) and given that it's so close to another airport (SAV) that already has such extensive air service. Yes, I recognize HHH is a distinct market and, while almost entirely leisure, skews more premium given the clientele, but I'm still not sure it can continue to sustain air service as suitable aircraft becoming relatively more scarce, and thus the opportunity cost of dedicating them to HHH rises.

Well said and unfortunately I agree. I'm honestly going to miss the Dash 8s the most.

Acey559

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Quoting cosyr (Reply 9):

How about Skywest's Mitsubishis? I still can't think how OO is going to use them?

TransStates is the one with the MRJs on order, not SkyWest.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

diverted

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Quoting twincessna340a (Reply 11):
Regardless I will miss the Dash 8. It is one of my favorite airplanes with such amazing sounds coming from those PT6s!

Not to nitpick, but the Dash-8 100 is powered by PW120/121(A)'s, the -200 has PW123(C/D) the -300 has PW123(A/B/E)

The Q400 is powered by PW150A's

The PT6 is a smaller engine, typically found in Twin Otters, Caravans, and King Airs(among many others)

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 18):

Skywest has 100 plus 100 options on the MRJ

SkyWest Firms Deal For 100 MRJ90s (by neutrino Dec 13 2012 in Civil Aviation)
Skywest Aircraft Orders (by STT757 Jun 14 2014 in Civil Aviation)

=

mountainwest90

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 pm

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 18):

TranStates has an order for 50 with 50 options, this is true, but SkyWest has an order for 100 plus options for 100 more.

SkyWest firms deal for 100 MRJ90s

As for Piedmont. This is a good step for them. They'll need help fronting the cost of any new aircraft type they receive. I'm on board hoping that they get themselves some ATRs. There just needs to be more props in the sky. There's something satisfying when looking out the window and seeing that prop twirl   

silentbob

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:01 am

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 1):
Gotta be ratified first. That is no small task these days.

It will pass with around 90% voting in favor, give or take a couple %.

D328

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:19 am

Bye bye IPT... My home airport for work.... Now I will have to drive 2 plus hours again to either Allentown or Harrisburg.... Work doesn't consider State College/University Park a hub for them...

kcrwflyer

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:53 am

IMHO, Piedmont desperately needs a next-gen turboprop replacement. Several cities currently served today by Piedmont (HHH/FLR/SBY/HTS/LYH/PGV) will be in danger of losing connecting commercial air service if no replacement for the turboprops is made.

That happens. It's a natural progression in todays industry. Everyone that's an hour from another, larger airport can't have air service.

The ATR is probably the answer.. but even then you're looking at about 70 seats right? That's a lot of seats to run into a market that runs 50% on a 37 seat dash.. no matter how efficient the ATR may be. Realistically from CLT, even if the dash-8's have no replacement you're probably only looking at 2-3 markets that just don't work anymore. Keep in mind some places see the 50 seat dash 8 more than the 37 seat.

airplanedaj

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:12 am

I've read a lot of people hear talking about the ATR as the answer for replacing the Dash-8 at Piedmont. What happened to the ATR72's that AA sent packing a few years ago? IIRC, they used them out of DFW (Texas,OK, and AR), MIA (EYW, NAS, etc) and SJU (Carribbean). Any chance of bringing those back?

Would a mixed fleet of ATR42's and ATR72's work? Is the 42 even made any more? The smaller aircraft might work on routes like Hilton Head.

RyanairGuru

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:37 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 13):
Cost as much as RJs. Meanwhile, RJs get more and more fuel efficient.

You're going to have to help me out here, where did you get the impression that RJs are more fuel efficient?

Quoting airplanedaj (Reply 25):
What happened to the ATR72's that AA sent packing a few years ago?

Some have gone to IslandAir in HNL, and the rest to the desert. Those aircraft are really, really old, and aren't in the best condition. The chances of them being brought back is slim-to-non-existant. In fact, I think some might have been coming up on cycle limits.

More importantly, those are -200 series ATRs, which is very much an "old" turboprop. Every negative connotation that people associate with turboprops (loud, slow, noisy, vibrations etc) apply to those. The ATRs that are rolling off the production line today are 500 and 600 models, which are a 180 degree difference, they are really quiet in the cabin and vibrations are minimal. IMHO the new build ATRs are even quieter than the Q400, which is itself not bad.

Would a mixed fleet of ATR42's and ATR72's work?

The ATR-42 and ATR-72 basically have identical trip costs. The only cost benefit is having 1 FA vs 2, which means that in almost every case it makes more sense to just stick to the ATR-72. That said, that one cost saving alone might be enough to justify the ATR-42 for routes currently flown by Dash-8s that have no chance of going over 50 passengers. On the flip side, they might just be dropped.

Quoting commavia (Reply 16):
I, too, think the ATR is the answer.

It would also be great for some intra-TX, LA flying out of DFW and Bahamas and intra-FL out of MIA.

My crazy idea, and I'm sure it is one that Parker and Kirby have at least considered in passing, is pulling the Eagle SF3s out of storage and putting them in PDT for the "small" routes that don't justify anything larger than the Dash. The problem that PDT have is that their aircraft are cycling out, and several have been parked as they hit up on limits. The Eagle Saabs were parked relatively young, and still have a lot of cycles left in them, enough to carry PDT over for the rest of this decade. They have been kept in working condition while parked, and could basically fly today with only minimal maintenance. Does anyone know what the trip costs of the SF3 are compared to the Dash-8-100?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Flighty

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:03 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 26):
You're going to have to help me out here, where did you get the impression that RJs are more fuel efficient?

RJs such as the E2 E-jets are "more and more" fuel efficient. Turboprops may become obsolete.

Acey559

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:41 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 20):

Well shame on me! Thanks for the info.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

bahadir

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:32 am

I just hope that the pilots in PDT will not be sell outs like their brothers and sisters at PSA.
Earthbound misfit I

JoeCanuck

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:31 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 27):

The thing is, both Pratt and GE are working on T-Prop engines that should be about 15(ish)% more efficient than current models, which would maintain the prop efficiency lead over the jets.

We keep hearing that the Q's are almost as expensive to buy as jets....does anyone have any actual purchase prices? Book prices don't seem to mean very much since nobody seems to pay retail for airliners.

I agree that ATR's are undoubtedly cheaper but if they were so why would any airline buy Q's?
What the...?

commavia

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:33 am

Quoting kcrwflyer (Reply 24):
The ATR is probably the answer.. but even then you're looking at about 70 seats right? That's a lot of seats to run into a market that runs 50% on a 37 seat dash.. no matter how efficient the ATR may be. Realistically from CLT, even if the dash-8's have no replacement you're probably only looking at 2-3 markets that just don't work anymore. Keep in mind some places see the 50 seat dash 8 more than the 37 seat.

True, although I would submit that if there's a market struggling to fill more than half of a 37-seat prop today to begin with, it may not be a market that keeps commercial air service altogether - prop or otherwise. Nonetheless, the other critical factor is unit cost - yes, the ATR72 is twice the size of the smallest props Piedmont now operates, but it also likely has a lower unit cost (i.e., per seat), which should actually help in some markets. Put another way - yes, the ATR72 has more seats than a Q100/Q200, but it also has lower costs which may well help operators profitably fill more seats at lower fares.

They're gone, thankfully. Those things were horrific. A combination of age and under-investment conspired to make those some of the most embarrassing passenger aircraft flying in the U.S.

It would also be great for some intra-TX, LA flying out of DFW and Bahamas and intra-FL out of MIA.

PHL and CLT aren't the only hubs that could use some props - as you say, an ATR72 would also be perfect for some of the shorter, thinner markets out of DFW (i.e., CLL, FSM, GRK, LAW, GGG, SJT, SHV, TXK, TYR, ACT, SPS) and MIA (i.e., FPO, GNV, GGT, EYW, MHH, NAS, ELH) as well.

My crazy idea, and I'm sure it is one that Parker and Kirby have at least considered in passing, is pulling the Eagle SF3s out of storage and putting them in PDT for the "small" routes that don't justify anything larger than the Dash.

Don't think SAABs would work. They're too small. I think the economic imperative these days is larger aircraft. With costs rising in general, and in particular with one of the largest single inputs for regional airlines - pilot labor - regional operators are moving to larger aircraft so they can spread that higher costs of more seats/passengers. Now of course there is a trade off, there, but as previously mentioned, I think the higher capacity and lower unit cost is worth it in most regional markets, and many for which it's not may well lose air service altogether.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 27):
RJs such as the E2 E-jets are "more and more" fuel efficient. Turboprops may become obsolete.

I tend to doubt it. Props have seen a resurgence in recent years, spurring investment in the sector, and I find it hard to believe that RJs will catch up with props' fuel efficiency.

par13del

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:02 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 31):
PHL and CLT aren't the only hubs that could use some props - as you say, an ATR72 would also be perfect for some of the shorter, thinner markets out of DFW (i.e., CLL, FSM, GRK, LAW, GGG, SJT, SHV, TXK, TYR, ACT, SPS) and MIA (i.e., FPO, GNV, GGT, EYW, MHH, NAS, ELH) as well.

I expect once all merger issues are fully resolved new ATR's will be bought and re-introduced, even a few into NAS along with the jets, too many short routes will bleed money if only served by jets.
Either get rid such routes or operate them with the most efficient frame - company politics aside.

washingtonflyer

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:54 pm

We had this discussion a month or so ago: wasn't there some perceived resistance to the ATRs because the aircraft load at the tail for passengers. That makes it really, really difficult for using jetbridges - something passengers in the USA expect these days.

commavia

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 33):
We had this discussion a month or so ago: wasn't there some perceived resistance to the ATRs because the aircraft load at the tail for passengers. That makes it really, really difficult for using jetbridges - something passengers in the USA expect these days.

ATRs can be boarded from jetbridges and/or covered-boarding walkways - AA (and I'm sure many other airlines) has (have) done that before. Besides - how many existing USAirways Express/Piedmont stations board via jetbridge now?

washingtonflyer

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Well, PHL and CLT to name two important ones!

commavia

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 35):

Hmmm ... walking through E at CLT, I'm pretty sure I remember watching people walk - i.e., uncovered - out to a boarding Q200. Perhaps some Piedmont flights board via jetbridges at CLT, but I'm pretty sure not all of them do.

par13del

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 33):
We had this discussion a month or so ago: wasn't there some perceived resistance to the ATRs because the aircraft load at the tail for passengers.

Well, AA thru Eagle served the Bahamas via MIA with ATR's for a number of years, until a couple years ago gate D60 at MIA was ATR heaven serving domestic and international routes. ATR's were also relocated to the south after the winter crash raised concerns on the a/c's viability in cold weather, this while SJU was being drawn down.

I don't think boarding is as big an issue, if competitors are operating jets its one more add on point to complain about, if there are no competitors it an acceptable issue to grip about while you board along with the noise and the whirling props etc. 

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 36):
Hmmm ... walking through E at CLT, I'm pretty sure I remember watching people walk - i.e., uncovered - out to a boarding Q200. Perhaps some Piedmont flights board via jetbridges at CLT, but I'm pretty sure not all of them do.

I don't think I've ever seen a Dash load using a jetbridge at CLT.

AF682

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:09 pm

I landed at CLT yesterday on a Dash from HHH. Flight was oversold but due to weight restrictions only 29 of the 37 seats were filled.
We did not use a jetbridge at E and walking through the concourse I saw none anywhere else. Only CRJs

AF682
Next flights: ATL-IAH-ATL. ATL-CDG-ATL. ATL-CDG-NCE. CDG-ATL

twincessna340a

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Quoting AF682 (Reply 39):

Not surprised. The last two days have been the hottest all summer.

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 38):
I don't think I've ever seen a Dash load using a jetbridge at CLT.

Flights to HHH often used to go out of D4 (pre-renovation of D). Granted the jetway wasn't directly connected to the a/c, but it dumped us out closer than over at E38/35 where they typically go out now (pre covered walkways).

Quoting diverted (Reply 19):

Blond moment, thanks for correcting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXmKbPe9c50

Love the PT6 too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGoW94LHn5g

oflanigan

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Is there not an option to board from the front of the ATR?

capejet

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:23 pm

[quote=commavia,reply=31]
PHL and CLT aren't the only hubs that could use some props - as you say, an ATR72 would also be perfect for some of the shorter, thinner markets out of DFW (i.e., CLL, FSM, GRK, LAW, GGG, SJT, SHV, TXK, TYR, ACT, SPS) .

I would add ABI, BPT, LCH, MLU, GCK to that list.

silentbob

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 34):
Besides - how many existing USAirways Express/Piedmont stations board via jetbridge now?

On a regular basis, 0.

Not for the Dash. Check it out on google maps and tell me how many you see attached to a jet bridge.

Okie

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
Pilots at Piedmont Airlines, which is a wholly-owned regional carrier at American Airlines Group, have reached a new tentative agreement that could possibly bring larger regional jets to Piedmont

S J S = Shiny Jet Syndrome

AAG shopped that to Envoy and they turned it down. I am afraid it is just another effort to push wages lower for the regionals with the promise of flying a shiny new jet for a penance.

Okie

crj900lr

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:26 am

Jet bridges are not used in PHL to load/unload a DASH under normal conditions. They use F12,14,17,18,19,20,21,22,23, and the remote pad for DASH flights. F-16 will also be opening soon and the bus that takes the passengers to the remote pad will be relocated. The only time they were used was several years ago after a bad snow storm, the DASH gates were not cleared out so the flights that were not xld were parked on select jet gates and the passengers used the stairs on the side of the jet way to get to the terminal and to board the aircraft. This is the only time I have seen this and it was necessary due to the ramp conditions.

DLPMMM

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:57 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 31):

FYI,

The HHH struggle in filling the Dash 8 and the ATR is weight restrictions due to the 4500 foot runway (shortest commercial in the USA that I know of) and the trees at each end of the runway, and nothing to do with demand.

Expansion to 5000 feet is scheduled to begin soon.

mercure1

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:58 am

Is the 42 even made any more?

Yes if you really want one.
Most orders recent years are for -72s.

Quoting oflanigan (Reply 41):

Is there not an option to board from the front of the ATR?
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/FLIEGER67/F1001/F1001024.jpg
mercure f-wtcc

runningonempty

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 am

American has had a running dislike to props and they do not want to paint a single one to their colors if not required. I think the nervousness to props occurred after Am. Eagle Flight 4184. And in addition, It was due to icing which is largely why American dropped DFW service on ATRs and eventually all together. I assure you they will never again schedule prop service from DFW, I wouldn't even think summer seasonal. I don't American would buy from ATR again, so unless they need 70 passenger props to service ports like CHO, HHH, IPT, MDT, OAJ, FLO, among other short hop destinations not already served by jets. PDTs existence as a prop airline is going to come to an end, and with that, expect some station cuts. There really aren't any other ways for service to such small cities without a 37 pax prop plane.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:47 am

Quoting RunningOnEmpty (Reply 48):
American has had a running dislike to props

Remember there is a new sheriff on town at AA. Much of the new leadership are hardly as adverse to props, or hold tainted opinions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos