29erUSA187
Topic Author

RE: Boston Aviation

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:51 am

Does anyone know what happened to the rumors of the 747-8 from LH at BOS? Or was that just me dreaming?

adamh8297

Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Massport released August numbers a couple of weeks ago.

YTD international passengers - 3,402,365 (up 8.7% over 2013)!!

Assuming that TK flew the A340 the whole month, the Middle East load factor was around 90% too which is impressive with the recent upgauging by Emirates.

JL and HU had a combined 90 % load factor for the month (24,738 total Transpac seats - 22,289 total Transpac passengers)

CM had a 82% load. Not bad considering they are not always the cheapest airlines on Central/South American routes out of BOS. Hopefully the yields are good.

The winter months are going to be interesting to see who sustains traffic on these routes.

Caribbean traffic was up big time for the month with DL and B6 increases in CUN, PLS, and NAS.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

airbazar

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:41 pm

So apparently EK now departs from terminal C, gate C17. I can only imagine how crowded it gets there.

VS4ever

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 102):

Actually, given the late time of departure 11.15pm, not sure it will be actually that bad to be honest.

Plus it adds 2 things.

1. Direct connections from partner B6 rather than having to transfer from C to E as they would currently have to do

2. Frees up a gate in Terminal E, which is probably more congested, considering the arrival time of 2.45pm.

suspect that there is more to come of this type of arrangement as Terminal E while benefiting from the success of attracting new flights is getting rather cramped in the evening rush...
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

sq452

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:59 pm

Quoting VS4ever (Reply 103):
Actually, given the late time of departure 11.15pm, not sure it will be actually that bad to be honest.

Plus it adds 2 things.

1. Direct connections from partner B6 rather than having to transfer from C to E as they would currently have to do

2. Frees up a gate in Terminal E, which is probably more congested, considering the arrival time of 2.45pm.

suspect that there is more to come of this type of arrangement as Terminal E while benefiting from the success of attracting new flights is getting rather cramped in the evening rush...

Doesn't the flight arrive at E due to FIS facilities and then they drag it over to C? It's a wise move to have EK depart from C to get the connecting traffic.

I personally think we'll see QR's 787's in BOS soon (already been hinted at in the past). EY via BCN or MXP would also make a lot of sense.

I personally would like to see a thrice weekly service on SQ via BCN or MXP. They could definitely make either one of those work I think.

[Edited 2014-09-28 16:03:07]
SIN > CVG > BOS

sq452

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Anyone have the SIN>BOS PDEW's off-hand? Just curious; I'd imagine it's around 30 or so (taking a wild guess though).
SIN > CVG > BOS

adamh8297

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:25 pm

So apparently EK now departs from terminal C, gate C17. I can only imagine how crowded it gets there.

Looking at tonight's schedule: Only two flights scheduled after 9 pm though they are both in the same pier as the EK flight. Gates 16 18 19 are clear after 8:11 so there's plently of room.

JetBlue Airways 1415 Buffalo 7:25P Scheduled C29
JetBlue Airways 1427 Baltimore 7:25P Scheduled C28
JetBlue Airways 321 West Palm 7:29P Scheduled C42
JetBlue Airways 1837 Detroit-DTW 7:30P Scheduled C14
JetBlue Airways 993 Denver-DEN 7:40P Scheduled C21
JetBlue Airways 833 SanFrancisco 7:55P Scheduled C36
JetBlue Airways 777 Las Vegas 8:11P Scheduled C18
JetBlue Airways 783 Raleigh/Drhm 8:15P Scheduled C33
JetBlue Airways 1451 Orlando 8:20P Scheduled C20
JetBlue Airways 317 New York-JFK 8:25P Scheduled C11
JetBlue Airways 1189 Wshingtn-Nat 8:30P Scheduled C25
JetBlue Airways 2779 Newark 8:50P Scheduled C34
JetBlue Airways 829 SantaDomingo 10:15P Scheduled C21
JetBlue Airways 923 Santiago 10:35P Scheduled C12
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

alphaomega

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:47 am

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 100):

Does anyone know what happened to the rumors of the 747-8 from LH at BOS? Or was that just me dreaming?

It has operated a few times (last was on LH421 I believe on this past Thursday or Friday?) but is not yet scheduled on any routes. We may see it on LH423 over the winter, but right now is scheduled for a B744 for W14.

It arrives in E, pax clear CBP, then the aircraft is towed to C17 for departure. The upstairs area is busy but there are no other departures on B6 from any nearby gates so it isn't too bad, plus they now have a lounge (in E only First had access to the VS Clubhouse, nothing for business or frequent fliers) which was a big plus. They also stop taking delays due to the aircraft not having to wait for an open gate to tow back to.

airbazar

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:57 am

Quoting alphaomega (Reply 107):

It arrives in E, pax clear CBP, then the aircraft is towed to C17 for departure. The upstairs area is busy but there are no other departures on B6 from any nearby gates so it isn't too bad, plus they now have a lounge (in E only First had access to the VS Clubhouse, nothing for business or frequent fliers) which was a big plus. They also stop taking delays due to the aircraft not having to wait for an open gate to tow back to.

Weird. It's not like terminal E is busy at 11pm. I would imagine that it would be a lot more sense to move the EI flights which could arrive and depart from terminal C and in the process make 2 gates available in E during the really busy time.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 106):

Looking at tonight's schedule: Only two flights scheduled after 9 pm though they are both in the same pier as the EK flight. Gates 16 18 19 are clear after 8:11 so there's plently of room.

But where do you sit 300 people? That wing of terminal C is pretty small. An a320 fills that up pretty good.

adamh8297

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01 am

Quoting airbazar (Reply 108):
But where do you sit 300 people? That wing of terminal C is pretty small. An a320 fills that up pretty good.

If you had four A320 flights in that area at peak times you could have 600 people. I think we need to find a trip report or anecdotal evidence on how crowded it actually feels.

Does anyone know how many seats surround those gates? Have more been added recently? I remember it being standing room only on a recent UA flight a couple years back.

chrisnh

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:34 pm

A full Emirates flight will find its passengers spread into other adjoining gate areas, I would think. Everyone wants to be 'closest' to the counter and jetway but not everyone can be. One key thing is to make sure PA announcements can he heard to the outer reaches of where these people are milling about. Maye at that time of night they can plug into all the gate areas so any announcements are heard at every area. A fair number of people are wearing headphones these days; nothing worse than a boarding announcement you cannot hear.

tlecam

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm

When United was in that pier, I flew out of those gates weekly going back and forth to SFO from 2004-2006. Then, the SFO flights were on a 752 about 95% of the time with the other 5% being 767. My experiences are primarily with the 6AM, 8AM and 6PM flights to SFO. Those flights often left from gates 17, but 16, 18, 19 and 20 would be used too. Gates 11,12,14,15 or 21 weren't used from what I recall.

There were typically flights for ORD and Denver leaving around the same time, and those were on mainline aircraft, although my recollection is that ORD typically had 737s or smaller Airbus flights. Denver seemed to often have a 752 as well. Clearly these are just generalizations based upon my memory.

The pier which holds gates 16-19 was jammed during the hours I mentioned above, even with the "holding pen" of seats that is directly across from C18 and is not really for any particular gate. The Red Carpet club would regularly be at capacity. There are very limited seats available for gates C16 and C17, so the majority of the passengers waiting for their seats would stand in the hallway. "Gate lice" are a problem in most places, but they were particularly problematic at those two gates.

I don't know what the gate turnover is for B6 and how many flights they typically having going out around the same time. If they have all 320's going from C16-C19, I would imagine that it gets pretty crowded over there.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:37 pm

This summer I flew on B6 from C17 at around 5pm. It was awful. No room to sit and my space was constantly being invaded by the family with 6 kids....

ASA

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:05 pm

I just flew in from DUB this past weekend ... and found myself right in the situation of this discussion.

First of all, it almost felt like DUB itself ... with three EI planes in Logan at the same time. As soon as we got hear Terminal E tarmac ... the 6 PM flight to DUB (an A333) was pushing out. And the B757 to Shannon was parked in the corner gate - E2B I think. We parked in E3A ... and then followed a very circuitous route to the domestic baggage arrivals in Terminal E.

I hope a more direct path can be found ... the domestic baggage area is just below those gates!

Anyway, the Emirates 77W was parked in C17 already at that time ... more than 5 hours before the departure time. There were no other B6 aircrafts at nearby gates. But I have traveled on B6 using that corner of Terminal C ... and I can imagine how crowded it can get with just a few A320s ... !

Why did EK more departure to Terminal C to begin with? If it is to help get transfer passengers from B6, will they move back to E after the connector is done? And what about EI ... why aren't they using Terminal C then (they have access to pre-clearance from Ireland)?

adamh8297

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:00 am

Too bad BOS is not getting any of the recent NK and F9 love. Would have love to seen an animal tail flying BOS-MIA.

SY has raised BOS-MSP to 3x daily in summer on certain days as mentioned in the SY Schedule thread. Kudos to B6 for missing out on that route. Robin Hayes hopefully won't make similar mistakes.

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 112):
Why did EK more departure to Terminal C to begin with? If it is to help get transfer passengers from B6, will they move back to E after the connector is done? And what about EI ... why aren't they using
Terminal C then (they have access to pre-clearance from Ireland)?

Definitely to help transfers and better lounge access. The EK flight also departs at 20:15 after daylight savings until March so that pier in C may feel more crowded.

EI recently refurbished their lounge so that may be one reason to stay in E. It would be neat if there's a deal in place when the A380 gates are done, EK returns to departing from E, pays EI for the lounge which becomes an Emirates lounge, and EI goes to C.

airbazar

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:17 am

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 109):

If you had four A320 flights in that area at peak times you could have 600 people. I think we need to find a trip report or anecdotal evidence on how crowded it actually feels.

I departed from gate c18 on an E190 and the seats were well occupied. Like I said above, that wing of the terminal is narrow and small and it barely has enough seats for a single A320.

Quoting ASA (Reply 113):

Why did EK more departure to Terminal C to begin with? If it is to help get transfer passengers from B6, will they move back to E after the connector is done? And what about EI ... why aren't they using Terminal C then (they have access to pre-clearance from Ireland)?

My point exactly. At the time of their departure terminal E is nearly empty. One guess is that they can actually close terminal E earlier and therefore save money, by moving this late departure to C where B6 has some late departures too. It makes good financial sense for Massport to combine the late departures from a single terminal.

RL757PVD

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 am

Quoting airbazar (Reply 115):
It makes good financial sense for Massport to combine the late departures from a single terminal.

I would think that has to be the reason for it. On the Silverline today, the announcement of "Terminal C serving, Cape Air, Jetblue and Emirates" certainly raises an eyebrow.

On a side note, I have noticed over the past year that in poor weather conditions, BOS is getting back to its old ways of having delays.

The return leg of my flight today (it was turningback to BOS) had a 90 minute EDCT delay posted. Prior to this year, I never had a delay on account of BOS ATC, this year I've seen it on a rather regular basis in bad weather.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

ASA

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:14 pm

My point exactly. At the time of their departure terminal E is nearly empty. One guess is that they can actually close terminal E earlier and therefore save money, by moving this late departure to C where B6 has some late departures too. It makes good financial sense for Massport to combine the late departures from a single terminal.

But TK leaves at 11:45 PM ... and CX will leave even later when it starts. These airlines should come up with a better plan 'together' to share lounges and utilize Terminal E (or a part of it) more efficiently for these late departures.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 114):
EI recently refurbished their lounge so that may be one reason to stay in E. It would be neat if there's a deal in place when the A380 gates are done, EK returns to departing from E, pays EI for the lounge which becomes an Emirates lounge, and EI goes to C.

Sounds like a lot of criss-cross between lounge demand, gates, pre-clearance, and flights. Massport needs better planning for coming years as it focuses on its increasing international traffic.

airbazar

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 117):

But TK leaves at 11:45 PM ... and CX will leave even later when it starts.

Maybe with 3 late night departures they will move EK back to E.
Or maybe they are testing the waters at terminal C for next Summer when gates 7 and 8 will be out of commission due to the terminal E expansion project. Wouldn't shock me to see EI and EK operating out of terminal C next Summer.

Quoting ASA (Reply 117):
Sounds like a lot of criss-cross between lounge demand, gates, pre-clearance, and flights. Massport needs better planning for coming years as it focuses on its increasing international traffic.

They are working on that already. EK will likely get their own brand new lounge when the A380 gates are built at terminal E, over the next couple of years.

To me moving EI to terminal C is a no brainer. The flights pre-clear in DUB so they can arrive and depart from terminal C.

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 118):
when the A380 gates are built

Terminal E is already crowded enough. I fear the day someone brings in an A380.

On a sidenote, would kicking WN out of Terminal E help to create space and give the International airlines more room? If so, where would WN go? Terminal B?

RL757PVD

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Second day in a row of weather delays in excess of 60 minutes, will continued growth bring the return of the delay prone BOS we knew from the late 90s?

alphaomega

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 am

Quoting ASA (Reply 113):

Negative on all points. The EK238 departure at 2315 does not leave with an empty terminal - its starting to get that way as most winter schedules are coming into place, but in the summer the terminal was packed until 2300 with departures for AF, LH, BA, 2 SATAs, EK, and TK - between 2200 and 2300 it was a madhouse.

The bigger issue was gate space - the aircraft was not making it back to the gate until 2230 or later, which after the crew got on, did their checks, and you board 360 pax, you depart late. Have a look at the on-time performance, it was in the 35% range.

Additionally, there was no lounge space available for EK. The First Class pax were offered the VS Clubhouse, but there was nothing for Business and frequent fliers.

So you had upset premium passengers because of no amenities, upset transfer passengers because they had to change terminals and clear security again (the lines in the evening were incredible) and wait in a terminal with nothing as far as shops and restaurants compared to other terminals, then you wait for the other flights to depart so you can finally board your aircraft - late - and depart - late - and EK expects repeat business with this?

EK has been at Terminal C for a week, and every flight has departed early. Premium pax now have a lounge exclusive to EK, transfer pax from B6 (which were easily 50-60% of the load factor most nights) stay in the same terminal post-security...whats not to love about the move?

EI is the next to move to Terminal C, but they have a recently refurbished lounge in E and would be stuck using C21 and sharing a lounge with EK (if thats even in the cards) if they made the move to C, but they will likely be pushed over soon.

SW will also be moving to Terminal A within the next 5-6 months.

iyerhari

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Quoting alphaomega (Reply 121):

Is it confirmed that Southwest is moving from E to A? DL is not all that busy anyways but I wasn't sure if they are starting to make a move there.

adamh8297

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 pm

which were easily 50-60% of the load factor most nights

Do you have proof that it was that high?

airbazar

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 119):

Terminal E is already crowded enough. I fear the day someone brings in an A380.

That is why they are expanding it. Bigger passenger holding areas, new larger lounges, and expanded security screening.

Negative on all points. The EK238 departure at 2315 does not leave with an empty terminal - its starting to get that way as most winter schedules are coming into place, but in the summer the terminal was packed until 2300 with departures for AF, LH, BA, 2 SATAs, EK, and TK - between 2200 and 2300 it was a madhouse.

Thank you for the explanation. However as you said, they did not depart from terminal C in the Summer  

tlecam

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Is this related to the gate construction that's happening where gates 9-12 used to be?
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

NWBOS

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Quoting tlecam (Reply 125):

Is this related to the gate construction that's happening where gates 9-12 used to be?

As far as I have been told the WN move to Terminal A is not a done deal yet, even though the gate 9-12 area is being prepped to accommodate that operation.

DL is not crazy about sharing a terminal with it's fiercest competitor. One counterproposal that has been rumored is a sizable expansion by DL to utilize most of Terminal A. From what I was told this would mainly be increasing frequency of pre-existing routes, with not a lot of new P2P flying. I believe the numbers are still being worked out as to if this would be a wise use of DL aircraft or not.

adamh8297

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Quoting NWBOS (Reply 126):
One counterproposal that has been rumored is a sizable expansion by DL to utilize most of Terminal A. From what I was told this would mainly be increasing frequency of pre-existing routes, with not a lot of new P2P flying. I believe the numbers are still being worked out as to if this would be a wise use of DL aircraft or not.

Does this also mean the potential use of 717's on BOS-ATL/MSP/DTW/CVG?

A 5am ATL departure would be nice for sure but DL would wind up having an ATL-BOS shuttle to fill those gates and heading somewhere close to that for DTW. Adding another BOS-LAX would be insane. I don't see too much more for BOS-SLC and BOS-CVG as well.

I think they will suck it up and let WN have the gates.

ASA

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:43 pm

DL is not crazy about sharing a terminal with it's fiercest competitor. One counterproposal that has been rumored is a sizable expansion by DL to utilize most of Terminal A. From what I was told this would mainly be increasing frequency of pre-existing routes, with not a lot of new P2P flying. I believe the numbers are still being worked out as to if this would be a wise use of DL aircraft or not.
Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 127):
A 5am ATL departure would be nice for sure but DL would wind up having an ATL-BOS shuttle to fill those gates and heading somewhere close to that for DTW. Adding another BOS-LAX would be insane. I don't see too much more for BOS-SLC and BOS-CVG as well.

How many of these gates are widebody capable? Could Delta's SkyTeam partners move their departures out of Terminal A ... (Maybe VS could get cozier with its partner and start departures out of Terminal A too). Questions on possible new routes:

1. If KE doesn't open BOS-ICN ... can DL take it on?
2. How about BOS-MXP or BOS-BCN for that matter?
3. Is VS interested in cooperating more on UK routes?
(maybe BOS-MAN, or BOS-GLA to that new country 

iyerhari

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:46 pm

I was wondering there maybe a chance if AA decided to give the B2 terminal gates and move into the US Airways side? The US Airways shuttle side is not that busy anyways and maybe there's a chance for SW to move in there. I don't think AA may comeup with new P2P destinations from BOS.

klm672

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Do you think that BOS-BTV will ever make a return?

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:21 am

Quoting klm672 (Reply 130):

I could see someone like B6 or UA Express taking up this route. Seems like there would be a fair amount of connections as well as a decent O&D market in the winter

airbazar

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:26 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 127):
I think they will suck it up and let WN have the gates.

I don't think they have a say in it if they are the Massport owned gates.

Quoting ASA (Reply 128):

How many of these gates are widebody capable?

None are.

As far as I have been told the WN move to Terminal A is not a done deal yet, even though the gate 9-12 area is being prepped to accommodate that operation.

Gates 9-12 are the RJ gates. Can you fit 737's in there? Looks pretty tight.

tlecam

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:06 pm

I think that in general, DL and AA/US are trying to figure out what their long term plans are in BOS. It's certainly not a connecting hub nor will it be, but they probably both have some opportunities to increase market share. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Quoting ASA (Reply 128):
How many of these gates are widebody capable? Could Delta's SkyTeam partners move their departures out of Terminal A ... (Maybe VS could get cozier with its partner and start departures out of Terminal A too). Questions on possible new routes:

1. If KE doesn't open BOS-ICN ... can DL take it on?
2. How about BOS-MXP or BOS-BCN for that matter?
3. Is VS interested in cooperating more on UK routes?
(maybe BOS-MAN, or BOS-GLA to that new country 

None are WB capable. It would be insane to even try to get a wide body into some of the middle gates, like 5.
1. They could, but I don't think that they would in the near term. Relations with Korean are still frosty. Also, from a fleet standpoint, I think that the current options are a 332, 777 or 747. It won't be a 747, and I don't think that a 777 would be economical. I don't think the 333/763/764 have the range to do the route.
2. BOS-MXP would have to rely on O&D traffic at this point. Alitalia has more or less abandoned any sort of a connecting hub at MXP. If that changes given their new co-owners, you could see some interest on the route, but I suspect more from the Etihad / Alitalia side. BOS - BCN would probably only make sense from a OneWorld airline - Iberia or AA. AA has cut all of their intl flying from BOS except for seasonal CDG. So if anyone, it's likely Iberia or possibly another 5th freedom route.
3. Seasonal routes if anything at best. Does DL operate those year round from JFK or ATL?

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 131):
I could see someone like B6 or UA Express taking up this route. Seems like there would be a fair amount of connections as well as a decent O&D market in the winter

B6 maybe. I doubt UA Express is adding anything in Boston. UA is pretty much only flying to hubs from Boston at this point.

chrisnh

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:36 pm

Is Massport still playing around with blueprints and design ideas for E, or has any sort of construction commenced?

apodino

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:37 pm

One question. On UAs web site...BOS is listed under the Hubs and key airports section. BOS is the only airport that was not a pre merger legacy UA or CO hub to be on this list. Yet the only flying they do is to other UA hubs. Why does upUA give BOS this distinction of hub/key airport?

adamh8297

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:10 pm

DOT released pax data for 1st 6 months of 2014. The numbers are a bit different from the Massport Stats. Very surprised at BOS-IST numbers. I thought they would be low 80's even with some very low intro fares.

No BOS-PEK passenger counts were listed unfortunately. I subtracted the JL passenger counts from Massport's total Transpac number and it gave a 130% load on HU which is impossible (and illegal!!!).

May Loads

EK: 93.3%
TK: 88.9%
JL: 85%
CM: 71%

June Loads:

EK: 86.7%
TK: 88.2%
JL: 87.8%
CM: 81.7%

Quoting chrisnh (Reply 134):
Is Massport still playing around with blueprints and design ideas for E, or has any sort of construction commenced?

These were the plans up for bid which was due in early June.

http://www.massport.com/capitalprogr...%20INFO%20TERMIMLA%20PLANS_1-8.pdf

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Just read in another thread that Icelandic carrier WOW Air wants to start service to BOS from KEF. I believe they only operate A320's. Could the A320 make the westbound from KEF to BOS? What are the chances of this happening?

NWBOS

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 131):

Gates 9-12 are the RJ gates. Can you fit 737's in there? Looks pretty tight.

I believe A7 & A8 would be included as well. I haven't seen how the aircraft will be parked in the new configuration, but it seems like it will be very close quarters.

adamh8297

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 137):

Just read in another thread that Icelandic carrier WOW Air wants to start service to BOS from KEF. I believe they only operate A320's. Could the A320 make the westbound from KEF to BOS? What are the chances of this happening?

Yes its 2413 miles - shorter than BOS-SFO/LAX and travels southwest on the westbound. You never know with a real strong wind in winter. May have to stop in YHZ or BGR

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bos-kef%0D%0Abos-sfo%0D%0A&MS=wls&DU=mi

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:08 pm

I wonder if all these new European connections through Iceland will force the long time TATL carriers (BA, AF, EI, LH) to drop prices.

airbazar

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 140):
I wonder if all these new European connections through Iceland will force the long time TATL carriers (BA, AF, EI, LH) to drop prices.

They won't because FI doesn't have enough critical mass to affect the major carriers. But more importantly the major carriers are likely not interested in what would be very low yields for them. Look at BOS-Europe alone. The Lufthansa group has 4 daily departures on anything from an A333 to a 744. OneWorld have 5 or 6 daily. SkyTeam has 4 or 5 daily. 2 daily FI 757's full of low yield passengers will hardly hurt these airlines.

VS4ever

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Question on the E1 gates and i missed this before I apologize in advance, but if/when SWA vacates E1A-D, are those gates big enough for more heavies, given that the only thing going in there right now are 737's. Is there enough room for 787's or bigger in there?

I've not really seen what they look like and i am curious what is the intent should this happen?
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

adamh8297

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 141):
2 daily FI 757's full of low yield passengers will hardly hurt these airlines.

They flew 170,000 passengers on BOS-KEF in 2013. They may come close to 200K this year.

I'm sure LH would like to have had some of those passengers to bump up their 79.5% Load Factor from June 2014 on BOS-FRA. Obviously other factors were at play (LH upguaged BOS-FRA and TK/EK arrival).

29erUSA187
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Does anyone have the schedule for winter BA ops at BOS? (A/c type, flight number, times, frequency)

airbazar

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Quoting VS4ever (Reply 142):
Question on the E1 gates and i missed this before I apologize in advance, but if/when SWA vacates E1A-D, are those gates big enough for more heavies, given that the only thing going in there right now are 737's. Is there enough room for 787's or bigger in there?

No but according to that pdf in reply 136 you can put a 757 there which would allow the likes FI and EI to park there, along with Copa and their 737. That's 3 wide body gates freed up right there.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 143):
I'm sure LH would like to have had some of those passengers to bump up their 79.5% Load Factor from June 2014 on BOS-FRA.

At the fares that FI gets, I don't think LH will lose much sleep. Same goes for the passengers that SATA is carrying.

adamh8297

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 145):
At the fares that FI gets, I don't think LH will lose much sleep. Same goes for the passengers that SATA is carrying.

But with less FI capacity, some of those passengers would have paid for next lowest fare available be it LH or AF etc.

airbazar

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 146):
But with less FI capacity, some of those passengers would have paid for next lowest fare available be it LH or AF etc.

No they wouldn't. They would have not gone at all. I know I used to travel to Europe twice a year until the insanity of fuel surcharges made it too expensive. Now I don't even go every year. IMO, there's a misconception that low fare carriers steal passengers from other higher fares carriers. There might be some leakage but overall I think lower fare carriers tend to expand the size of the market to people who wouldn't otherwise not fly.

bjorn14

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Anybody know what frame DE is flying on PVD-FRA? A 7100+ ft. runway seems short for what is presumably a WB. Props to PVD for the 1700 ft. runway extension...finally.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

RL757PVD

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 148):

Anybody know what frame DE is flying on PVD-FRA? A 7100+ ft. runway seems short for what is presumably a WB. Props to PVD for the 1700 ft. runway extension...finally.

BOS launches their transatlantic ops off Runway 9 on a regular basis, which is 7,000 ft. A CRJ going to ATL will take a greater penalty than a 767 going eastbound.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ronald J Stella
View Large View Medium

Photo © John E. Jauchler - New England Airports

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Kyle McKenna

The record for challenging runway operation goes to the Air Luxor L1011 that flew a charter for PVD-FCO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos