Boeing778X

RE: Southwest Airlines New Livery Pictures Part 2

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Quoting maverickTTT (Reply 99):
You've got to figure that the -300/-500 fleet likely won't see the new livery.

Assuming that all aircraft from now on are delivered with the new livery, and counting out the -300s and -500s, there are 484 planes to be repainted (according to Airfleets.)

Doesn't seven years seem a tad long?
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

gdg9

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 100):

It depends on how aggressively they paint them. They may simply wait for a heavy check to do it, rather than taking them out of service solely for the repaint.
@dfwtower

Silver1SWA

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 100):

Quoting maverickTTT (Reply 99):
You've got to figure that the -300/-500 fleet likely won't see the new livery.

Assuming that all aircraft from now on are delivered with the new livery, and counting out the -300s and -500s, there are 484 planes to be repainted (according to Airfleets.)

6-7 years was my guess. Considering the planes recently delivered and others recently repainted, 7 years is consistent with the life cycle of the Canyon Blue livery.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Boeing778X

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Quoting gdg9 (Reply 101):
It depends on how aggressively they paint them. They may simply wait for a heavy check to do it, rather than taking them out of service solely for the repaint.
Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 102):
6-7 years was my guess. Considering the planes recently delivered and others recently repainted, 7 years is consistent with the life cycle of the Canyon Blue livery.

Excellent points!    Makes perfect sense.

Hope to see it soon, it is really growing on me now  

ek17

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:18 pm

I have to admit the colours look better in light, but the font still looks ridiculous. It may grow on me eventually...

CyberEntomology

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:22 pm

If memory serves, the shade of blue they used on the Canyon Blue livery was rather prone to fading. Hopefully the new one will last better. The typeface is something the CSS on the website calls "SouthwestSans", so it appears to be (at least partially) custom.

ont 737

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Some details on the paint from Southwest Luv Lines newsletter
60 planes will be done by yearend.
Full repaint in ~7 years
Specialty paintjobs will have modified tail paintjob that has "Southwest" on it. It looks very good but may clash with some of the state flags (no way to avoid that however)
Warrior One (first -800) will remain in "spirit" livery
No aircraft repainting has been done since last spiring in anticipation for the new livery

Tugger

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 90):
Anyway, I could get used to this new livery. Still, my biggest issue with it is the winglets. Tone those down a bit, maybe paint them blue and I think it will look much better.

Agreed, make a single color (though you could put a nice heart there and that might look nice).

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 92):
I'm already hearing "they don't have money to give us a raise but have money to paint the planes?"

I know I am seeming pedantic but of course you know that they have to paint the planes anyway. As you note and I have read about every 5-7 years the paint needs to be redone.

Now regarding money, there is never enough money. Is the response "not enough for any raise" or "not enough for the raise being requested"? If the latter then that is just normal negotiations and pretty much separate from the rebranding (unless the rebranding is exceptionally successful and results in improved earnings, i.e. more customers. But that almost always actually come down to excellent customer service by excellent employees). Not meaning to drag this O/T.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Boeing778X

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting Reply 106):
Warrior One (first -800) will remain in "spirit" livery

I wonder if they'll keep N793SA (Spirit One) in the Canyon Blue livery.

mach2is2slowaz

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:37 pm

I will miss being able to spot a SWA aircraft flying at FL350 just by its colors.

ThirtyEcho

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:39 pm

The return of the "Yellow Peril" to the skies?

Personally, I liked the original "puke" from the 1970s. The "beach ball" never caught on with me. As far as a name goes, "hot dog on a stick" seems like a good one.

richierich

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:46 pm

I'm a bit late to the party - but I'm going to chime in with my opinion.

I don't mind the new livery. The colors are attractive and bright, and instantly recognizable as WN. It's a whole lot of blue paint, so all of you haters of Eurowhite can rejoice, but in more practical terms that means the paint jobs are expensive to maintain and the weight of the paint on the fuselage is a drag. Literally. Not to mention the blue paint retains the heat more than a lighter shade. How will this look when half the fleet is faded?

The titles are keeping with recent trends toward billboard liveries (NK, B6, AA) and the first thing I noticed is that the giant fuselage titles negate the name appearing on the tail. It's interesting to me that Walmart and Southwest both went from capital letters in their name to an uppercase-lowercase mix in a similar font. Coincidence?

Overall, I have mixed feelings and it neither overwhelms me nor irritates me. Not that WN needed my vote. I think that in time it will grow on most people when it becomes as common as bottled water at a convenience store. (Unlike AA's livery, to which I still find the tail colors and design to be insipid, awful and unappealing.)
None shall pass!!!!

kaitak744

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:55 pm

So the 737 is officially no longer in their corporate logo. Does this mean they will order other types?   

SXDFC

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Here is what the specialty planes will look like:

TJ LUV got the update too

rikkus67

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:59 pm

I breathed a sigh of relief when seeing the new scheme in proper light. The Red & Yellow are much less brass than the hangar picture revealed, and only seem to be a bit brighter. Certainly not the primary/clown colours that we all were expecting after that first leaked pic. I also noticed the lines that separate the colours are not white, but silver or chrome.
It'll take a while to get used to this, but after multiple shots of the new scheme, I think I can warm up to the tail.

The picture of the counter in Dallas with the new Southwest font actually looks really good...
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

Silver1SWA

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:08 pm

Quoting kaitak744 (Reply 112):

So the 737 is officially no longer in their corporate logo. Does this mean they will order other types?

You know, I JUST realized moments ago that unlike past liveries, this one doesn't seem tailored for the 737 and that the natural contours are irrelevant.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

CyberEntomology

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:15 pm

Looks like TJ Luv got himself a winglet upgrade too!

usflyguy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Quoting 7673mech (Reply 25):
PS - if it was paint shop/repair station employees that leaked the photo they should be fired.
The repair station should be embarrassed for lack of discipline.

I have represented at Boeing and numerous repair stations - and livery changes were never leaked like this.
What a shame.

Paint shop could be losing business...

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 90):
And the white trend was what, 10+ years ago?

UA just went white when they smacked the CO logo on a white airplane and put United on the front.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

LoneStarMike

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Quoting richierich (Reply 111):
Not to mention the blue paint retains the heat more than a lighter shade. How will this look when half the fleet is faded?

From the Dallas Morning News:

Quote:
Is the paint we will be using on the Heart livery any different than the paint we have been using?

The Heart livery colors are more saturated and chromatic than our current Spirit livery paint, giving our Heart aircraft a cleaner and brighter appearance. Southwest is always looking to improve our aircraft paint performance, and the paint being used for the Heart livery has a different formulation to help with durability, as well as a solar reflective technology to assist with cabin temperature. Since this particular paint formulation is unique to Southwest, we will be monitoring it closely for any additional benefits with our paint vendor PPG Aerospace.

[quote=richierich,reply=111]It's interesting to me that Walmart and Southwest both went from capital letters in their name to an uppercase-lowercase mix in a similar font. Coincidence?

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but both the Southwest brand and Walmart's brand were designed by the same company - Lippincott (They also designed Delta's current branding.)

The new livery looks a lot better out in natural daylight than it did in a hanger under fluorescent lighting. It's growing on me, although I still wish the titles had been placed above the windows. Also, I had thought the pinstripes on the tail were white, but I think they're Summit Silver.

LoneStarMike

rampart

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 51):
That'll be recognizable from the ground.

-Dave

I think it's supposed to be recognizable from (close) flying overhead. The red underside was unmistakable, even from 25,000 feet (though perhaps mistakable with Air India or Air Berlin, but they don't overlap much). This is not visible at 25,000 feet, but should be when when approaching or leaving an airport, therefore different from UA, DL, B6, and any other blue-bottomed livery.

-Rampart

NC1844V

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Not a bad looking livery. I'm sure it looks good in person.

Thanks for sharing.
Steven

PlanesNTrains

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 52):
Or Romania's, Moldova's, Chad's, Colombia's, Ecuador's... But even the yellow in those flags doesn't seem to be as in-your-face primary as the one in WN's livery. And those freaking titles in white! Note how none of those flags has anything substantial in white over those three primary colors.

Ya, I was reaching.

Quoting UALWN (Reply 78):
Yes, but it was white on mustard (yellow/orange on mustard would have been hard to read). In the current livery it's orange on blue, which looks much better than white on blue.

While I'm not sure yet about the font or placement, I think the white on blue looks good.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 88):
It's still better than what Hughes Air West had in the 1970s, bright yellow planes with purple trim and a very strange font.

Oh no you didn't! Thinking back to the '70's watching planes across the valley in Auburn WA approaching SeaTac, the only two that I can remember being so easy to recognize were Hughes Air West in the yellow and Western with the red W and line. I guess the United rainbow was good too.

Quoting Reply 94):
Also there were two -300s in a hangar next to it. When I see the two paint jobs next to each other, I like the new one better.

To me, the new livery instantly makes the Canyon Blue one look washed out and tired. Side by side, one will say "SOUTHWEST" while one will SCREAM "Southwest!!!".

It's interesting to me that Walmart and Southwest both went from capital letters in their name to an uppercase-lowercase mix in a similar font. Coincidence?

Funny you should mention that. I was just walking through the kitchen and my wife had a mesh Walmart bag sitting on the table. The font, caps/lower case combo, and blue color all reminded me of the new Southwest branding. Maybe that played a part in how people perceived the new colors (value, price, etc)?

Quoting rampart (Reply 119):
Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 51):
That'll be recognizable from the ground.

-Dave

I think it's supposed to be recognizable from (close) flying overhead. The red underside was unmistakable, even from 25,000 feet (though perhaps mistakable with Air India or Air Berlin, but they don't overlap much). This is not visible at 25,000 feet, but should be when when approaching or leaving an airport, therefore different from UA, DL, B6, and any other blue-bottomed livery.

The normal flight path over my house puts them at about 3000' or so. I'm looking forward to seeing how recognizable the heart is once they start rotating through more. Of course, living in Seattle, it could be next spring before we have that much visibility. Welcome to Fall.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

AeroWesty

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 77):
You constantly bemoan the new euro-white trend of liveries, screaming for more colour.
But when WN deliver a colourful and eye catching livery, you're baulking at it?

What I read is people asking for something tasteful. Anyone can toss a couple of buckets of paint at a wall.
International Homo of Mystery

ghajdufi
Crew

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:06 pm

No words, just a photo.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Morgan

Your photos are like your children, you will always find them perfect.

Miami

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:09 pm

.... No thank you...
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Boeing778X

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

I actually like the text and font, but would it have helped if the text was Silver or the Yellow Gold rather than White?

Boeing778X

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 124):

Stunning! Thanks for sharing  

birdbrainz

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:18 pm

I love the heart on the bottom, but this livery is going to fade like crazy.

Also, the white lettering is right out of a preschool. In fact, most preschools could to better.

To be fair, though. I don't know which font I'd use, but give me a minute and I'll find one.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:20 pm

Quoting ghajdufi (Reply 123):
No words, just a photo

What I like about that photo and angle is that the tail seems very "Southwest"-y.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

SpaceshipDC10

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Quoting dumbell2424 (Reply 81):
In actual sunlight, it doesn't look half bad IMO
Quoting ghajdufi (Reply 123):
No words, just a photo.

Yes, I like it. It's bright without being too flashy while the blue isn't too dark either. I think it fits Southwest's spirit very well.

redzeppelin

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 115):
You know, I JUST realized moments ago that unlike past liveries, this one doesn't seem tailored for the 737 and that the natural contours are irrelevant.

The one aspect that seems tailored to the 737 is the flag placed on the forward extension at the base of the v-stab (not sure what it is properly called). The flag placement would probably have to change on almost any other airframe. The flag is in the same place on the previous livery--does any other airline put it up there?

BobbyPSP

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:40 pm

I was looking forward to SWA on the tail. Don't mind the font so much as the windows break it up too much.

I wonder why yellow?

richierich

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:43 pm

I like the golden yellow they used, it definitely reminds me of their original livery that was replaced a dozen or so years ago.

As with other airlines with billboard liveries, I am not crazy about the way the windows cut through the name. And that is a LOT of deep blue!
None shall pass!!!!

Tugger

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 121):
It's interesting to me that Walmart and Southwest both went from capital letters in their name to an uppercase-lowercase mix in a similar font. Coincidence?

Funny you should mention that. I was just walking through the kitchen and my wife had a mesh Walmart bag sitting on the table. The font, caps/lower case combo, and blue color all reminded me of the new Southwest branding. Maybe that played a part in how people perceived the new colors (value, price, etc)?
South*west .... anyone?     
Quoting birdbrainz (Reply 127):
I love the heart on the bottom, but this livery is going to fade like crazy.

They claim they have designed it to not fade. And with the fading problems Canyon Blue had, I believe that have to have tested for this extensively.

Quoting birdbrainz (Reply 127):
To be fair, though. I don't know which font I'd use, but give me a minute and I'll find one.

Minutes up!  

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

n471wn

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:45 pm

I too am warming to this color scheme and it looks far better in the light than in the hanger

william

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtuNlFhU2GM

Video of the new livery jet landing.

airliner371

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Just some notes from the Q&A that I thought were interesting.

-Obviously New livery and logo
-New Uniforms
-Changes to Interior look
-Changes to airport experience and look
-Future Website improvements

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...t-airlines-colors.html/#more-24354

So they will be changing the Evolve interior to match the new SWA look. In addition, I have heard that they are putting new cushions in the seats.

AeroWesty

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 124):
.... No thank you...

Someone needs to pimp that rig with whitewalls to pull the whole look together.
International Homo of Mystery

AirCalSNA

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:28 pm

The in-flight pic looks quite nice ... I see that the yellow is not the primary shade I thought it was and that the red stripe is larger, which is good. They've done a good job.

Tugger

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 138):
The in-flight pic looks quite nice ... I see that the yellow is not the primary shade I thought it was and that the red stripe is larger, which is good. They've done a good job.

Now I want a sunset picture... 

Tugg

garpd

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:36 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 122):
What I read is people asking for something tasteful. Anyone can toss a couple of buckets of paint at a wall.

Then, sir, please do enlighten us with your designs.

I've yet to see anyone offer anything in the way of an alternative. Until they do so, their opinion means absolutely zip.
And linking to someone else's idea does not count.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

29erUSA187

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:41 pm

I was hoping that it would somehow look better in
A clearer picture and better light but I was wrong. Still just plain awful. It looks like someone put WN in the washing machine with Crayons...

DocLightning

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:43 pm

I don't love it. I don't think it's an improvement. I think the current livery was just fine. It wasn't old and anachronistic-looking (Like AS or the old AA). It still looked modern.

That said, the new livery is not the travesty all these people here are making it out to be. But, having said that, the titles are problematic. The placement on top of (rather than above) the windows gives it this moth-eaten look. It's quite a glaring effect, actually, and literally pokes holes in the core brand identity.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PSA53

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:43 pm

It's hard to let go of the current livery but-

I like it! It's bold and advertise the product.Much better then white or grey based billboard painted frames.If improve on it,maybe paint the engine pods three colors matching the tail.But that might be too costly.

Quoting timpdx (Reply 22):
It took much longer for AA to grow on me, still think the flag tail for AA is a bit much on small airframes but it looks darn nice on the 77W.

The AA new paint still has not grown on me.While on the vertical tail looks great to me,the dull flat grey on the airframe is terrible and makes it look like military plane.I try to be positive about it but it just doesn't stand out at all.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

chrisnh

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:49 pm

1.) Too much 'color.' See 'Emirates' for a scheme that marries color well with white.
2.) The font...Arial Extra Bold? I mean, at least come up with lettering that is unique (see, 'Apple' for good font usage).

LoneStarMike

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Quoting Bobbypsp (Reply 131):
I wonder why yellow?

From the Dallas Morning News:

Quote:
What are Southwest’s new colors, and what do they represent?

Bold use of color has always been a signature of Southwest’s DNA. From our origins bathed in Desert Gold to the inauguration of Canyon Blue, we now introduce a bold, new palette. Bold Blue, Warm Red, Sunrise Yellow, and Summit Silver are our new primary colors, and we use them in the Heart Symbol, on our planes, and throughout Southwest’s branding.
A deeper Bold Blue was developed to evoke that spirit of exploration in reaching new heights. Warm Red evokes our Warrior Spirit and our passion for delivering excellent Customer Service. Sunrise Yellow ushers in the dawn of a new chapter in the history of Southwest. And the shimmer of silver adds a contemporary energy to the livery design and encases the jewel tones of the Heart logo

Sunrise is at dawn, and by the end of the year, the AirTran integration will be complete, the Wright Amendment will be gone and more international flights will be added, so it really is the dawn of a new chapter in the history of Southwest.

LoneStarMike

barney captain

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Unfortunately, that underside heart, located just aft of the nosewheel, won't be visible for long.
Southeast Of Disorder

Tugger

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Quoting LoneStarMike (Reply 145):
Sunrise is at dawn

Yeah, I read that "sunrise" nomenclature, but that color is really more "sunshine" yellow (and full noonday sun sunshine) than sunrise (sunrise is a much softer yellow). Not that I dislike it, I am actually liking the new livery over all! (As I noted in previous posts, I have a few nits to pick with it..... and just as soon as I gather together enough money to buy a majority share in Southwest I will be sure to have them addressed....   )

Quoting barney captain (Reply 146):
Unfortunately, that underside heart, located just aft of the nosewheel, won't be visible for long.

Then go mono color on the winglets and put the heart there instead. It is a good thing for everyone to see.

Tugg

acjflyer

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:22 pm

I love the following quote when sharing the feedback received from focus groups...

"They want to see a more modern, bold visual interpretation of Southwest—keeping our unique color palate that breaks up the airline industry’s “white” sea of sameness."

Tigerguy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 140):
Then, sir, please do enlighten us with your designs.I've yet to see anyone offer anything in the way of an alternative. Until they do so, their opinion means absolutely zip.And linking to someone else's idea does not count.

I know there's a difference between offering an opinion and blustering on like an idiot about how something apparently sucks, but I'd assume that those of us without graphic design degrees would appreciate not having to produce such credentials just to comment on an airline livery. (And does an opinion always have to mean something? Most are just simple observations...)

On the topic of that livery, I'm not wild about it. The pic in the hangar didn't do it any favors as far as a first impression, but the outside pic makes me think it's not as horrid as when I first saw it. I wonder how the canyon blue scheme (which I like) would have held up with the new paint: higher saturation, more durability, and more heat resistant?
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos