LAXintl
Topic Author

Southwest Airlines Media Day Notes

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:37 pm

In addition the new livery and rebrand announced, Southwest Airlines today hosted its annual media event in Dallas.

Much of the event is spent with executives across the company making presentations followed by Q&A from the assembled media.

Below are random notes from this event. I've avoided the commentary surrounding the new livery/branding.

o Plan to exceed ROIC target 15% in 2015.
o Idea for SWA DAL longhaul buildup spurred by Delta pull down at DFW
o Sees "modest" trimming of DAL shorthaul flying to make room for more longer flights.
o Sees daily ops at DAL climbing from 120 to 150. Similar in size to HOU
o MDW largest hub - about 250 departures
o Top-10 cities are "crown jewels" - key growth focus
o Likes serving multiple airports in metro market since most pax are point to point and this get them closest to where they want to be
o ATL is a big market - will continue to have big presence - focused on where locals want to go.
o 75% of AirTran integration complete. Last flight December 28th.
o AirTran gave Southwest many things - esp NYC and DC.
o SWA was prior viewed as heavily leisure airline in Eastern US.
o SWA to be 2nd largest carrier at DCA by end of 2014. From 17 to 44 flights.
o No plans for any aircraft type other than 737 family
o 737MAX entry to service 3Q 2017.
o "pivoting" to use 738 on longer stage lengths.
o Updated cabins coming also in about 6 months. Revised Evolve seat bottoms and improved cabin durability features.
o No power outlets on board, but adding more of them them at airports
o Not planning seperate premium economy/extra legroom product. Tension between revenue vs space vs cost.
o Always keeps an eye on used a/c market.
o Sees under served route opportunities to Canada, however high airport fees and taxes are a challenge
o But be "surprised" if not serving Canada by end of decade.
o New reservations system - Amadeus exceeded expectations. Smooth roll out
o GDS distribution more important for international flying where consumer internet purchasing not as high
o With new res system will have option to open up sales window further than current 6-months
o Identified easily 50 destinations outside the US that are good fit
o Self bag tagging testing in DAL. LAX likely first major roll out.
o While technology is great, machinery cant replace head and heart of employees.
o Focus is back on On Time performance. Numbers bounced back - as of late August was 84% OT
o Tighter scheduling in 2013 gave SWA equivalent of 16 extra aircraft, but also hurt OT.
o Greater utilization planned in 2015. ~3% growth with same fleet count
o Growth through 2017 at or below GDP
o SWA - is "true American airline" - every demographic group is a client on SWA
o Uses a "customer centricity program" to parse customer comments and make marketing decisions
o Bags still fly free - Think that when you go on vacation, it’s not unreasonable to take stuff with you.
o Actually believe charging would be a "loser all around". Estimates SWA earns $1bil from clients that specifically shop SWA because of the free bags, and might not travel otherwise.
o Bags fly free was marketing gift from rest of industry.
o Labor 1/3 of total cost. Wont BK the company to reduce them, but controlling them critical for long term success

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

UALFAson

RE: Southwest Airlines Media Day Notes

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks for the great recap! Info is much appreciated!

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
SWA to be 2nd largest carrier at DCA by end of 2014. From 17 to 44 flights.

As a native Washingtonian, I'm of two minds about this development. On one hand, I've directly benefited from the much-lower-than-the-majors walk-up fares on their new DCA routes.

On the other hand, as a long time flyer of the legacies, I think it's pretty patently unfair that WN can just swoop in and be granted all the route authorities that other airlines aren't even allowed to compete for. How is that free market systems at work?

Probably shouldn't have even brought this up because I don't want to derail the thread, but it's the bullet point that most jumped out at me, personally.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

usflyguy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Likes serving multiple airports in metro market since most pax are point to point and this get them closest to where they want to be

Could we see a return to IAH with token service to a couple of the following DAL, LAS, LAX, PHX, DEN, MDW, BWI, ATL, MCO?

Entrance in to MIA for S. Florida?

Token flights to ORD?

GDS distribution more important for international flying where consumer internet purchasing not as high

Hmmm.... contracted ticket offices in some international destinations or just more availability to travel agencies?
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

usflyguy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Quoting UALFAson (Reply 1):

On the other hand, as a long time flyer of the legacies, I think it's pretty patently unfair that WN can just swoop in and be granted all the route authorities that other airlines aren't even allowed to compete for. How is that free market systems at work?

If DL was interested in DCA, they wouldn't have sold off to US and compared to US, WN is still a very far distant second. 44 flights a day isn't exactly a big operation.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

Tugger

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 pm

No power outlets on board,

This is the biggest mistake I see. I understand the difficulties involved but it would really set them apart from other carriers, help their business customers a lot, and increase the use of inflight online services.

Who might they be referring to/hinting at with this comment:

o Always keeps an eye on used a/c market.

Tugg

[Edited 2014-09-08 15:08:24]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

AA737-823

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Great! So, when do they launch ANC service? I've been waiting for eight years... patiently...

I think it's pretty patently unfair that WN can just swoop in and be granted all the route authorities that other airlines aren't even allowed to compete for. How is that free market systems at work?

You need to do your homework. WN inherited this stuff as a direct result of the choices of the legacy carriers to MERGE and create MEGA BEHEMOTH carriers. In a world with only UA, DL, and AA, Southwest definitely gets to pick up the pieces. I'm still a UA flyer, but wish WN the best at competing with these heavyweights.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 4):
This is the biggest mistake I see.

Greetings from 737 maintenance land; I have mixed emotions. As a passenger, I love my in-seat power. As a mechanic, any form of IFE is a cost and maintenance headache. For airlines that already have something old, like audio channels, each incremental step and improvement doesn't seem like a quantum leap AT THE TIME.
But for carriers who have no hardwired systems at all, like AS and WN and others, making the initial jump is a huge cost increase. And it starts at the engine; generator feeder cables have to be beefed up to handle the potential (though unlikely) scenario of 150 people plugging their laptops in. Feeder cables, circuitry, and another zillion miles of wiring, all add weight and complexity.
And long-term safety EWIS concerns, in my mind at least.
It's best avoided. In my opinion.
But again, as a UA flyer, I definitely plug my iDevice in, as soon as I sit down!

[Edited 2014-09-08 15:11:17]

LoneStarMike

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:22 pm

Self bag tagging testing in DAL.

I did the self bag tagging in DAL this past Friday. The kiosks were away from the ticket counter and you can print your boarding pass, too. Then all you do is get in line (there wasn't a line when I was there) and just put your bags on the scale, show your ID and you're on your way. It was very fast. From the time I got dropped off until the time I actually got to the gate took a mere 10 minutes.

LoneStarMike

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 pm

The majors had to pay a price to overcome market share concerns, and government remedy required divestment.
It could have another carrier. Just SWA had the right price at the right time.

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 2):
Could we see a return to IAH with token service to a couple of the following DAL, LAS, LAX, PHX, DEN, MDW, BWI, ATL, MCO?
Entrance in to MIA for S. Florida?
Token flights to ORD?

I don't think so. It was more reference do how existing network works.

I don't think SWA will be opening new stations in the short run. For example someone from CVG asked about launching service and they were quite non committal about new domestic markets.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

compensateme

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 pm

They bought them. How is it unfair?

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 3):
If DL was interested in DCA, they wouldn't have sold off to US and compared to US, WN is still a very far distant second. 44 flights a day isn't exactly a big operation.

DL's decision to sell DCA assets to US had more to do with US being disinterested in LGA... just like a sports team that trades a good player away for what it deems to be better fit / one that will give it a better chance to win.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

EA CO AS

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 3):
If DL was interested in DCA, they wouldn't have sold off to US
Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 8):
DL's decision to sell DCA assets to US had more to do with US being disinterested in LGA...

Just the opposite; it was about DL being more interested in bolstering their position at LGA, and in the NY market in general.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

MaverickTTT

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:12 pm

No power outlets on board, but adding more of them them at airports

This is a huge mistake on WN's part. WN is now operating longer and longer flights and advertising "Free TV on your own device!". An iPad watching that "Free TV!" will have a dead battery halfway across the country.

32andBelow

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:14 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 5):

Great! So, when do they launch ANC service? I've been waiting for eight years... patiently...

Won't happen with DL in at 3X/day all winter

737tdi

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:53 pm

Quoting maverickTTT (Reply 10):
This is a huge mistake on WN's part.

Another vote from 737 maintenance land against power portals. I really don't understand the constant need for folks to be entertained by an external source. Yes, surf a little while but buy a book and use a brain cell or two. What did people do before laptops, mobile phones, tablets, phablets? They read, did cross word puzzles, soduku, wrote letters. The cost of converting 500+ NGs would be extreme, as mentioned earlier, the EWIS program would be killer, not impossible but the whole idea is to keep costs low, this most definitely does not fit that description. JMO.

commavia

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:06 am

o SWA to be 2nd largest carrier at DCA by end of 2014. From 17 to 44 flights.

Simply amazing ... my how times change in this industry!

o No power outlets on board, but adding more of them them at airports
Quoting maverickTTT (Reply 10):
This is a huge mistake on WN's part. WN is now operating longer and longer flights and advertising "Free TV on your own device!". An iPad watching that "Free TV!" will have a dead battery halfway across the country.

I tend to agree. With Southwest's average stage lengths rising, its growth turning to longer international routes, and its increasing emphasis on capturing higher-yielding business traffic to cover rising costs, the lack of power ports may start to become a meaningful competitive disadvantage. It appears that AA, Delta and United seem to have somewhat differing expectations about the long-term viability and efficacy of substantial investments in seat-back PTV IFE, but they all seem to universally agree that wifi is a value driver for at least sume subset of customers - and of course at a dramatically lower level of upfront and ongoing cost to the airline.

o Sees under served route opportunities to Canada, however high airport fees and taxes are a challenge
o But be "surprised" if not serving Canada by end of decade.

Canada seems like just a matter of when and where, but not if.

To me, it seems like the biggest issue for Southwest in Canada would simply be finding markets with sufficient critical mass to justify a larger number of daily departures - particularly given that, for the most part, Canada traffic is likely going to skew more towards business rather than leisure traveler (in other words, Canada isn't the same as CUN or AUA). Personally, I would think the only Canadian markets that would work with the Southwest business model are YYZ and YVR, and possibly YYC and YUL.

o Labor 1/3 of total cost. Wont BK the company to reduce them, but controlling them critical for long term success

"Controlling them critical for long term success."

Well that should be "interesting" to watch.

SXDFC

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:13 am

Who might they be referring to/hinting at with this comment:

There will be more used -700s arriving to WN in the near future.

o Updated cabins coming also in about 6 months. Revised Evolve seat bottoms and improved cabin durability features.

I wish they would opt for a new seat design, and new carpet. The current Evolve Seat and Carpet designs are pretty flimsy. After little use, they already look frayed and worn.

BD338

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 am

Revised Evolve seat bottoms

Now I only hope Revised means better......though I'm not sure how it could be worse...

compensateme

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:36 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 9):
Just the opposite; it was about DL being more interested in bolstering their position at LGA, and in the NY market in general.

Sure, but the assertion that DL was 'not interested in DCA' is false. DL's slot portfolio increased as a result of its acquisition of NW; NW had acquired EA's DCA assets, but had been leasing most slots out including some to US. It'd be fair to say that US was 'not interested in LGA,' given that it was sitting on most of its slots -- DL desired these slots more and ultimately a swap was arranged.

NW, of course, acquired the EA slots for below market value under pressure from southern politicians who believed NW was the best hope to open a hub at ATL, filling the void that EA's liquidation left. These slots later became the heart of the DL-US swap, and a big reason AA-US were forced to divest slots as a condition of the merger. WN was the highest bidder on one of the packages... but for some reason, this is perceived as a flaw in the free market system compared to how the legacies got the slots to begin with...
We don’t care what your next flight is.

wnflyguy

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:43 am

Everything I have heard WN will soon be using the new retrofit SKY interiors/over head bins. These will be placed on the 700s and the new used 800s their looking at.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

WNCrew

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:48 am

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 17):

Everything I have heard WN will soon be using the new retrofit SKY interiors/over head bins. These will be placed on the 700s and the new used 800s their looking at.
Flyguy

I've heard the same thing! The same company who was making our galleys and now goes by a different name is who partnered with Boeing to make the new Sky Interior retrofit for the NG's... that would be so nice!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

RyanairGuru

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:00 am

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 18):

Flyguy

I've heard the same thing! The same company who was making our galleys and now goes by a different name is who partnered with Boeing to make the new Sky Interior retrofit for the NG's... that would be so nice!

Is this Sky Interior conversion offered by HeathTecha?

If so then QF have one 737 fitted with it (VH-VXC) as a "trial", but ultimately decided not to install it fleet-wide. The product is not exactly identical to Sky Interior, and one key difference is that the hinged overhead bins hang much lower when open compared to the factory fitted bins. This resulted in negative feedback from crew (especially cleaners) who found that it impeded their work or that they kept banging their head on the overhead bins. Apparently this feedback was why it was not retrofitted across the fleet.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SXDFC

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:06 am

I am sure you both agree that the interiors of the -700s are starting to look very tired, and worn. The older -700s have the same Galleys as the -300s too..

WNCrew

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 19):
Is this Sky Interior conversion offered by HeathTecha?

No it is not... it is a product offered by Boeing themselves.

"The updated Next-Generation 737 interior offers improvements in passenger comfort and design elements to modernize the cabin. The package can include new LED lighting, updated forward and aft entry coves, Boeing Sky Interior sidewall panels and air grilles, and larger-capacity stow bins. The upgrades create a greater sense of spaciousness at the ceiling.
"Customers have been overwhelmingly positive about the aesthetics, functionality and flexibility of the new interior," said Rick Anderson, vice president of Sales, Commercial Aviation Services, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "As part of our commitment to delivering a competitive edge to our customers, we worked closely with our suppliers to minimize costs and maximize the impact and value of the new interior."
Boeing collaborated with EnCore Interiors, Inc., on the industrial design and with EMTEQ for the lighting. The companies' close working relationship will enable Boeing to offer options carefully tailored for each operator's needs.
While Boeing continues to offer retrofits of the popular Boeing Sky Interior, the enhanced Next-Generation 737 interior offers customers another option for creating interiors to support their unique brands."
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

WNCrew

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:17 am

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 20):

I am sure you both agree that the interiors of the -700s are starting to look very tired, and worn. The older -700s have the same Galleys as the -300s too..

While I agree I can't see WN changing the galleys. They haven't let us make them work for the past 10yrs, they didn't let us make the -800 work and that's when we had the chance from a clean-sheet design... I have NO HOPE for the FA workspace. WN will not do anything that is proven and works well if the "other airlines" already do it. They would prefer to reinvent the wheel and then push it across the ground with locked brakes.

RyanairGuru

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:23 am

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 21):
No it is not... it is a product offered by Boeing themselves.

Aaahhh OK, so that one has the Sky Interior ceiling but keeps the "shelf" bins, as opposed to hinged bins. I hadn't seen that product before, interesting to know.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

WNCrew

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:26 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 23):
Aaahhh OK, so that one has the Sky Interior ceiling but keeps the "shelf" bins, as opposed to hinged bins. I hadn't seen that product before, interesting to know.

Yes, the pivot bins that Boeing makes can't be retrofitted into the NG, but other manufacturers pivot bins can (such as Heath Techna and Encore Aerospace).

justplanenutz

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:44 am

So, are the bins in that pic the new "Space Bins?"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...-carry-on-crunch-on-737s/12517015/

WNCrew

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:51 am

Quoting justplanenutz (Reply 25):
So, are the bins in that pic the new "Space Bins?"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...-carry-on-crunch-on-737s/12517015/

LOL I'm sorry I'm confused... the bins in the picture you posted of Space Bins?.. yes those are Space Bins by Boeing. In the photo I posted above, those are standard NG bins (of which Boeing also makes or MADE an "Easy Fit" variant which is/was bigger than what WN orders on their 73Gs) but in the photo I posted Boeing has applied the treatment to extend them to go with the Sky Interior Retrofit and that's in conjunction with Encore Aerospace.

OzarkD9S

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:09 am

On the other hand, as a long time flyer of the legacies, I think it's pretty patently unfair that WN can just swoop in and be granted all the route authorities that other airlines aren't even allowed to compete for.

They paid for the slots. To the best of my knowledge WN received no "route authorities" ex-DCA. All are within perimeter. They are using the assets they purchased as they see fit within the DCA regulations. B6 on the other hand received the exemption for SJU. A plum WN was too late to the party for.

I understand your aggravation. WN is still the "low fare darling" in the eyes of the Feds, however misguided that is these days. But the dust has settled and WN will be a distant #2 at DCA, a market they avoided for decades. I share your concerns however, going forward. DCA/EWR and LGA are now basically closed to new entrants, should there be any. If any well-heeled new entrant wants to make use of abandoned hubs, say STL and PIT they're S.O.L. accessing those markets for hub feed. IAD, BWI and some off-peak JFK slots are all they're gonna get to feed the "hubs".
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

usflyguy

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:33 am

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 20):
The older -700s have the same Galleys as the -300s too..

They do?

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 27):
All are within perimeter. They are using the assets they purchased as they see fit within the DCA regulations. B6 on the other hand received the exemption for SJU. A plum WN was too late to the party for.

WN got DCA-AUS as an out of perimeter slot at the same time that B6 received DCA-SJU.

wnflyguy

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:41 am

3% growth within current fleet plan.
Smaller flying between short hop Texas markets.
And adding Red eyes will probably help them with this without killing the gains back on OTP.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

pjc747

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:47 am

I wonder if there is any chance of the 737-900ER or a 737-9 MAX entering the fleet at a future date? It is funny to think that although the 737 is the airplane most closely associate with WN, and the overwhelmingly used plane throughout their history, the 727-200 is the largest aircraft ever operated by WN.

chrisair

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:29 am

Quoting pjc747 (Reply 30):
I wonder if there is any chance of the 737-900ER or a 737-9 MAX entering the fleet at a future date? I

I read something from WN that said while the 900ER was attractive, the short field takeoff performance was an issue. Doubt you'd get a full 900ER out of MDW or other short field airports in the summer.

cschleic

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 5):
But for carriers who have no hardwired systems at all, like AS and WN and others

I was on an obviously new AS 737 recently (don't recall if it was an 800 or 900ER) that did have power ports...both plugs and USB (I think both), so they're moving in that directly, although no IFE.

cjg225

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:00 pm

o SWA - is "true American airline" - every demographic group is a client on SWA

Uh... like the other US-flag carriers don't?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

justplanenutz

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 26):
LOL I'm sorry I'm confused

I am too. I read that article as "Space Bins" are bigger than BSI pivot bins and that AS would be replacing their pivot bins with them.

gatechae

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Will the upcoming DAL buildup due to the removal of the Wright Amendment affect WN's ops at OKC?

[Edited 2014-09-09 06:21:52]

UALFAson

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 27):
OzarkD9S

Thanks for the well-reasoned response. Yes, I said "route authorities" when I meant "slots." Haste makes waste!
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

yeelep

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Quoting cschleic (Reply 32):
I was on an obviously new AS 737 recently (don't recall if it was an 800 or 900ER) that did have power ports...both plugs and USB (I think both), so they're moving in that directly, although no IFE.

The newest plane with power ports is a four year old -800, no -900ER's yet. By the end of the year all -800, -900 and -900ER's should have power ports. A streaming wireless entertainment system using on board servers will begin to be installed before years end.

AWACSooner

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Quoting gatechae (Reply 35):
Will the upcoming DAL buildup due to the removal of the Wright Amendment affect WN's ops at OKC?

Yes, they lost a DAL frequency and a MDW frequency.

drerx7

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 2):

Return to IAH...the only way I see that happening would be to protect the Houston - Mexico slots before they get locked out of the market until the HOU terminal is completed. There are few gates left at IAH anyway for anybody.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

bayareablue

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Quoting yeelep (Reply 37):

First 900ER is currently in for in-seat power modification.

hivue

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:58 pm

SWA - is "true American airline" - every demographic group is a client on SWA

Anyone know if this is intended to be more than just lame pun? What demographic group is known not to be an AA client?
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

visakow

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Anybody and everybody. In the last year we have converted or presently in the process to transition following to Southwest standards. All -700's. 3 Alaska, 2 Enerjet, 1 Eastar jet (Korea), 1 Lan Chile, 3 China Southern and of course the remaining Air Tran's.

RyanairGuru

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Quoting visakow (Reply 42):
All -700's. 3 Alaska, 2 Enerjet, 1 Eastar jet (Korea), 1 Lan Chile, 3 China Southern and of course the remaining Air Tran's.

You got a few Virgin Australia as well, 2 I think.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ouboy79

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:24 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 38):
Yes, they lost a DAL frequency and a MDW frequency.

OKC-DAL is already down to 3, so I'm not sure you can directly tie that to any future build up down 35. OKC-MDW and OKC-STL however do lose a daily turn each day, and the DAL AM flight gets moved up 2+ hours earlier, to try to push more people down through DAL for connecting.

OzarkD9S

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 28):

WN got DCA-AUS as an out of perimeter slot at the same time that B6 received DCA-SJU.

Forgot about that one, thanks. WN's own little plum.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:04 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 13):
I tend to agree. With Southwest's average stage lengths rising, its growth turning to longer international routes, and its increasing emphasis on capturing higher-yielding business traffic to cover rising costs, the lack of power ports may start to become a meaningful competitive disadvantage.

A couple of points on this:

1) WN has a lot of power ports in its gate areas. The only legacy that I find to be close is DL (and hubs are much better than outstations for DL, where WN seems to make an effort to connect all stations more or less equally).

2) Most tablets have a battery life about as long as a long WN flight, and extended life batteries for laptops are fairly cheap and easy to acquire, at least for those laptops that allow swapping batteries. I have a 6 hour battery for my Dell laptop that I use for travel, and IIRC it was less than $200. It's a significant productivity enhancer.

I fully agree that power is important on international flights and perhaps some very long domestic flights (Alaska, Hawaii and transcons mostly). WN has some flights like that, but it's only a handful.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

glbltrvlr

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:35 am

o Bags still fly free - Think that when you go on vacation, it’s not unreasonable to take stuff with you.
o Actually believe charging would be a "loser all around". Estimates SWA earns $1bil from clients that specifically shop SWA because of the free bags, and might not travel otherwise.
o Bags fly free was marketing gift from rest of industry.

And to expand on this, what he also said was

o the $1B was roughly what SWA would get from bag fees, were they to charge for them
o SWA is generating a 17% Return on Invested Capital without fees
o Customers hate bag fees

EA CO AS

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:44 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 46):
Quoting commavia (Reply 13):I tend to agree. With Southwest's average stage lengths rising, its growth turning to longer international routes, and its increasing emphasis on capturing higher-yielding business traffic to cover rising costs, the lack of power ports may start to become a meaningful competitive disadvantage.
A couple of points on this:

1) WN has a lot of power ports in its gate areas. The only legacy that I find to be close is DL (and hubs are much better than outstations for DL, where WN seems to make an effort to connect all stations more or less equally).

2) Most tablets have a battery life about as long as a long WN flight, and extended life batteries for laptops are fairly cheap and easy to acquire, at least for those laptops that allow swapping batteries. I have a 6 hour battery for my Dell laptop that I use for travel, and IIRC it was less than $200. It's a significant productivity enhancer.

I fully agree that power is important on international flights and perhaps some very long domestic flights (Alaska, Hawaii and transcons mostly). WN has some flights like that, but it's only a handful.

Y'know, my company's marketing execs used to make the same points; "There's power at the gate! Battery life is getting longer! There's not a ton of flights where battery life will be an issue!" and it all came back to the same thing once all is said and done:

They were making EXCUSES.

And finally, mercifully, through both employee and customer input, they saw the light and realized that to be competitive from a customer experience standpoint, in-seat power is a MUST. Not a "nice to have," not a "plus" - it's a MUST if you want to be relevant in the mind of your customers, particularly business travelers.

WN would be wise to reconsider in-seat power, especially as their IFE offering will highlight this glaring hole in their amenities.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:48 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 48):
And finally, mercifully, through both employee and customer input, they saw the light and realized that to be competitive from a customer experience standpoint, in-seat power is a MUST.

Does AS have some data that prove this point? Or is this just bluster from a carrier that has made the opposite choice as WN?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos