Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Air India Crew Detained In Moscow - No Visas!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Talk about incompetence - both the company and FA's should be aware of basic immigration requirements for crew members rostered on international flights.

Air India attendants held at Moscow airport for flying without valid visas

Three Air India flight attendants were detained at the Moscow airport after authorities caught them travelling without valid visas. The incident came to light on Saturday morning after the crew reached Domodedovo airport in Moscow after operating a six-hour long flight from Delhi.

Although it is the duty of the cabin crew to check documents soon after resuming duty the scheduling department is responsible for the goof up, senior cabin crew personnel said. "Normally it is assumed that the visa is applicable from the day the passport is delivered to us," said a senior AI official.

The national carrier would have to sent three spare crew members as passengers as the detained trio is likely to be deported in the next AI flight out of Moscow, added officials.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...-valid-visas/article1-1263647.aspx

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

RE: Air India Crew Detained In Moscow - No Visas!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:23 pm

They will ask Boeing for compensation.
Must clearly somehow be fault of the 787 which operated the flight.
mercure f-wtcc

S75752

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Man, AI just can't seem to catch a break! Seems one nasty thing happens to them after another.

bennett123

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:10 pm

You forgot the smiley  

blueflyer

Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Russia is one of a handful of countries where this snafu would be an issue (the US is another). In most other countries, the immigration officer would have a chuckle, if that. Does it really make a difference if someone shows up a day before their visa is valid? Terrorist one day, acceptable visitor the next?

Yes, no doubt, someone at Air India didn't pay attention to the details, but this should have been a non-story.

[Edited 2014-09-13 17:27:40]

dtw2hyd

Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:14 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 5):
Yes, no doubt, someone at Air India didn't pay attention to the details, but this should have been a non-story.

They arrived 18 hours early. By the time this thread started they were allowed to enter the country. Their return flight is after 22 hrs after their release, 9/15 8:20AM Moscow Time. If crew rest is not enough AI has to send additional crew.
All posts are just opinions.

fxramper

Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:18 am

Dunno why this is the airlines or host countries fault. Have been on UA en route to EWR and diverted for MX and no employee of UA had a Russia visa and everyone on the plane got a hotel.

Putin being putin.  twocents 

A russian visa for an air crew member isn't cheap. US $500+.  twocents 

[Edited 2014-09-13 17:37:16]

visualapproach

Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 am

Pop them in the transit hotel and then they're all good to go after rest!

PanAm747LHR

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:05 am

The interesting thing is that the visa requirements vary in Russia by airline. Same thing in China. When I worked for EK, the only visa we needed was the US. (Unless of course you had a US or Canadian passport.) I operated (with a US Passport) to both DME and PVG on numerous occasions and never needed a visa. Obviously Emirates made it worth their while (surprise surprise...) So why the different regulations for different airlines? Now that Im with a US carrier, I of course need a visa for both countries when operating as crew. Bizarre.

So maybe (just maybe) AI used to be exempt from the visa requirement and now they're not? Russia has certainly changed their mind about things before...

Just some more fuel for the fire...

Happy flying!

JAAlbert

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:12 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 7):
Putin being putin.

I don't think Putin would intentionally want to antagonize one of Russia's few remaining friends. After the MH jet was shot down, India was one of the few nations that refused to condemn Russia, citing Russia's longstanding support of India.

[email protected]

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:22 am

Quoting PanAm747LHR (Reply 10):
The interesting thing is that the visa requirements vary in Russia by airline. Same thing in China. When I worked for EK, the only visa we needed was the US. (Unless of course you had a US or Canadian passport.) I operated (with a US Passport) to both DME and PVG on numerous occasions and never needed a visa. Obviously Emirates made it worth their while (surprise surprise...) So why the different regulations for different airlines? Now that Im with a US carrier, I of course need a visa for both countries when operating as crew. Bizarre.

Exactly my thoughts as well..i too operated to DME and being part of a UAE based air carrier I did not need any visa! only the Gen Dec (General declaration) Did not even know that as an aircrew member you needed visas to any country when you were on duty! Am learning something new here everyday   Feel sorry for the AI crew though. Its not like they were illegally trying to enter Russia! Further more surprising that Russia requires AI crew to have visas...considering the cozy relationship between India and Russia in many fields.

kapnoc4389

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:59 am

I would like to know what Putin has to do in this visa issue as some members mentioned, I am sure he has more serious things to think about than 3 crew members with expired visas. Regardless of how often the Russian authorities change their mind about visa requirements, which is often(2x in one 1.5 years since my company sent me to Moscow, although for a different type of visa), it is entirely AI's fault in my opinion. Maybe this particular crew was just unlucky because somebody forgot to check, or maybe they were just careless, we don't know, but every country has its own visa requirements and if an airline wants to fly there they have to follow them. I personally know two flight attendants from Mexico who were deported from the US for not following the visa requirements, and I am sure the US president at the time(G. W. Bush) had nothing to do with it, or ever heard about this deportation.

Flying Belgian

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:57 am

Russia recently lifted the crew visa requirements as far as Belgium was concerned...

We used to need it even for a day return sector...
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

tcas69

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:43 am

Cracy things happen all over the world:My crewvisa for the US had expired two days ago without me noticing it ( My fault: I had a valid visa in my second passport which I forgot to use). Arriving in IAD and going through the crewchannel I was invited to a special room where other culprits were waiting. After three hours I was giving the opion to go back on my plane ( just in time to catch it) or pay 240$. I opted for paying the fine just to run into the next catch 22. My three credit cards were not accepted, the guy wanted cash. But the next ATM was out of limits for me in the arrival sector. Finally I was allowed to go there get the money pay the fine . I was reunited with my crew who had thought I had vanished into thin air  )

zeke

Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Quoting PanAm747LHR (Reply 8):

It's actually by airline and passport, HKG passport holders do not need them, while others do.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

vlad1971

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:45 pm

France requires USA based crew to have a Schengen "work crew" visas . Although no visa for a visit up to 90 days needed for just normal tourists visiting France or Schengen states . It is all depands on Goverments agreement between countries . Here is no blame on Russia . AI should have check if all crew members has a valid documentation to enter country .

dtw2hyd

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Is it common for Russia to issue post dated crew/business visas? Some how AI dispatch,crew and even Indian immigration missed the start date.
All posts are just opinions.

sierra3tango

Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Wow betide the next Russia aircrew visa transgressor in India

Remember the hoo haa when an Indian Diplomat (with diplomatic immunity) was stopped and searched by
Homeland Security in the US. Didn't some minor US diplomat get kicked out of India & there was much
groveling by the State Department?

Would guess India will take this to heart and react accordingly sooner or later

hamad

Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 10):
Exactly my thoughts as well..i too operated to DME and being part of a UAE based air carrier I did not need any visa! only the Gen Dec (General declaration) Did not even know that as an aircrew member you needed visas to any country when you were on duty! Am learning something new here everyday Feel sorry for the AI crew though. Its not like they were illegally trying to enter Russia! Further more surprising that Russia requires AI crew to have visas...considering the cozy relationship between India and Russia in many fields.

I too work for a UAE based carrier, however I am an Emarati.. When i was leaving DME once, i was being asked from the immigration officer about where is my UAE visa! The other captain happened to speak Russian and spoke to her sarcastically. The lady said she had to verify with her supervisor. she actually called and then handed me my passport. I was puzzled! I am holding a U.A.E passport, and heading back to my country and I need a Visa to enter my country?

Regarding the only requirement, visa for USA: We do actually need a crew visa to Australia, and because it is electronic, we are not aware of it.

[Edited 2014-09-14 10:42:21]
PHX - i miss spotting

brahmin

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:09 pm

The 787 they flew to Moscow seems to be spreading bad luck. 787 - was it built for sales or quality?

Gr8Circle

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 1):
They will ask Boeing for compensation.
Must clearly somehow be fault of the 787 which operated the flight.

You're obviously one of the regular AI bashers on this forum who has no understanding of the rest of the world   

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 4):

Just another incident that happens dozens of times around the world......but enough to get a.nutters all excited....

AI has been operating to Moscow for almost 50 years now......as mentioned, it was an oversight by the AI authorities and should have been noticed before departure from DEL......

airportugal310

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 20):

His sarcasm went RIGHT OVER your head
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

aarbee

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting hamad (Reply 18):
I too work for a UAE based carrier, however I am an Emarati.. When i was leaving DME once, i was being asked from the immigration officer about where is my UAE visa! The other captain happened to speak Russian and spoke to her sarcastically. The lady said she had to verify with her supervisor. she actually called and then handed me my passport. I was puzzled! I am holding a U.A.E passport, and heading back to my country and I need a Visa to enter my country?

DNATA at DBX would not allow board the Spicejet flight to India because I could not produce the itin from India to US, even though I have life time India Visa (OCI).

Argued, got the supervisor involved and he was .. what the heck just give them their boarding passes. Then I talked to to the Spicejet people, who though we had baggage weight issues. He was surprised hat we were carrying only about 30% of our baggage allowance. Started laughing about the India-US itinerary ....  

-R
Love the AIXes

bikerthai

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 4):
Does it really make a difference if someone shows up a day before their visa is valid? Terrorist one day, acceptable visitor the next?

Happened to me on Asiana. I had a tourist Visa to Vietnam that was to start at 12:00 am. The flight was scheduled to land 11:50 or so. I thought that by the time I de-board, my Visa would be good. Not so. Asiana refused to let me board for the flight.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

Gr8Circle

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 21):
His sarcasm went RIGHT OVER your head

No, it didn't.......my comment was very deliberate.........too many AI bashers on this forum with zero understanding of things.....just a blind desire to jump on the bandwagon and be seen bashing AI senselessly....

b747400erf

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:41 am

Quoting sierra3tango (Reply 17):
Remember the hoo haa when an Indian Diplomat (with diplomatic immunity) was stopped and searched by
Homeland Security in the US.

I think you are extremely understating what happened

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos