Hawaiian763
Topic Author

WestJet To Begin Charging First Baggage Fees

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Looks like WestJet is about to jump on the first bag fee bandwagon, $25 for travel within Canada and to/from the US for any bookings after today and traveling after October 29, 2014

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...first-checked-bag/article20598212/

First bags will still be free from travel to international destinations in it's network. The fee will only apply if a customer purchases the "Econo" Fare, the first bag will remain free when purchasing a "Flex" Fare and two bags free for "Plus" Fares.

Changes are being made to the loyalty program as well, silver and gold reward members will receive have the first checked bag fees waived regardless of which fare is purchased.

We all knew this would happen eventually, I'm sure Air Canada will be applying this to their "Tango" Fares in the near future as well for travel within Canada.

[Edited 2014-09-15 06:34:57]

WildcatYXU

RE: WestJet To Begin Charging First Baggage Fees

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Quoting Hawaiian763 (Thread starter):
We all knew this would happen eventually, I'm sure Air Canada will be applying this to their "Tango" Fares in the near future as well for travel within Canada.

I'm certain it will eventually happen. And WS will get away with it without the flying public complaining while AC will be hit by a new round of bashig.
I guess having a status with AC (or any airline for that matter) still has some value  
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

diverted

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 1):
I'm certain it will eventually happen. And WS will get away with it without the flying public complaining while AC will be hit by a new round of bashig.

Judging by the media at the airport today and the interviews with pax, I doubt WS will "get away with it." People will moan and complain for a month, just like they did when PD started charging for bags. And the same will happen when AC begins charging for them.

You want cheap fares? The airline has to make money somehow. I have no problem packing everything I need for a trip in a 22", even if it means I need to wash clothes if the trip is extended.

I'm sick of the entitlement from pax that because bags have been free in the past they should stay that way. If the majority of people were willing to pay what it actually costs to transport them from A-B, then the industry wouldn't have gone this direction. You used to get a hot meal on a one hour regional hop, you used to get 34" pitch minimum, you used to get two free checked bags. But when you're paying next to nothing, the airline needs to make money somehow.

If you're willing to pay a little more, buy a slightly more expensive fare, get all those perks. Don't wanna pay a little more? learn how to travel with a carry on or pay the bag fee.

Give it a few months, everything will blow over, and people will stop complaining.

AirbusA322

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:30 pm

$25 is a little steep. Virgin America lost my business when they went from $15 to $25.

$15 would be reasonable. Virgin here in Australia only charge $10, creeps up to $15 for longer routes.

I hope Westjet Cabin Crew are ready for the bombardment of carry ons!

antoniemey

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Quoting Airbusa322 (Reply 3):
$25 is a little steep.

That's pretty much the standard price for a first checked bag these days.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

SLCUT2777

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Quoting antoniemey (Reply 4):

I'm going to have to review the fine writing but something says if you have their WS frequently flyer RBC Visa card, any fees will be waived, just as DL does if you have their AmEx card. The days of the first free bag at WN I suspect will be short-lived as well since CEO Gary Kelly can't rule it out when questioned about it. Hedge fund managers demand such when it shows up in a balance sheet as it has for virtually all North American operators as evil as it is.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Type-Rated

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Until they start charging for carry on bags.....
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

PHLBOS

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 5):
The days of the first free bag at WN I suspect will be short-lived as well since CEO Gary Kelly can't rule it out when questioned about it.

IIRC, WN still allows the second checked bag free of charge in addtion to the first. WN could conceivably tack on the 2nd bag fee and leave the first checked bag alone.

I personally don't see such happening until B6 decides to start charging for its first check bag.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

EA CO AS

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 7):
IIRC, WN still allows the second checked bag free of charge in addtion to the first. WN could conceivably tack on the 2nd bag fee and leave the first checked bag alone.

Except "BAG flies free" doesn't have the same feel as "Bags fly free"; if they're going to charge for the 2nd, they may as well charge for the 1st but make it inexpensive, say $10 or so for the first two bags.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

AirCanada787

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Quoting antoniemey (Reply 4):

$25 is a little steep.

$25 seems to be a popular price to charge. Porter is charging $25-28.50.

Any bets on how long it takes AC to follow suit? If they do....   
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

SLCUT2777

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 am

I personally don't see such happening until B6 decides to start charging for its first check bag.

I'll just say the best policy of avoidance is to have your favorite air carriers frequent flyer credit card, particularly if you fly 3 or more times per year. Then it becomes worth the annual bank fee. CORRECTION to above the WS RBC is a MasterCard as opposed to a Visa.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

ytz

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:11 am

Airlines can keep pushing. Their shareholders demand it.

They are simply making the case for driving and rail better. In the case of Canada, moves like this are really bolstering the case for high speed rail in Ontario-Quebec.

OB1504

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 am

This is happening next year.

drgmobile

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I am a little concerned about unintended consequences from this -- most notably the increase in carry-on baggage that we'll now see at Pre-Board Screening and the negative impact on throughput from that.

I hypothesize flight crews also will be more involved in "carry-on logistics," which wouldn't be a positive for on time departures or quick turn-arounds.

[Edited 2014-09-16 06:35:49]

hohd

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:43 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):

They can always change the slogan to "No checked bag fees" with an asterisk (applies to one bag). I am sure WN will start charging for the 2nd bag, in reality who many do check 2 bags for domestic travel, not many. If they sweeten the pot to exempt full fares, A list members, credit card holders, the public wont have an issue with this.

West Jet still allows to avoid this fee as long as you pay a higher fare.

longhauler

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 11):
They are simply making the case for driving and rail better. In the case of Canada, moves like this are really bolstering the case for high speed rail in Ontario-Quebec.

I have always wondered this myself. With one of the best rail manuafacturers in the world headquartered in Canada, why is there not a high speed rail link from London to Quebec City? And ... at around 4 hours from downtown Toronto to downtown Montreal, presently, it's just as easy to take the train.

Not so sure about the rest of Canada though, with distances involved, it is rather cumbersome. That being said though, this summer my Partner and I had to attend an event in Vancouver. For something different, we took the train. It was superb ... but round trip fares for the two of us was around $7000!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

WildcatYXU

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 15):
I have always wondered this myself. With one of the best rail manuafacturers in the world headquartered in Canada, why is there not a high speed rail link from London to Quebec City?

And the terrain is not very bad either, so building the rail link wouldn't be extremely expensive. But apparently no one is interested.

at around 4 hours from downtown Toronto to downtown Montreal, presently, it's just as easy to take the train.

I think the idea of downtown to downtown travel is overrated. Airports are often easier to reach than downtowns. On top of it, airports have the necessary facilities to make our lives at the destination easier, stations located at downtown usually not.

Not so sure about the rest of Canada though, with distances involved, it is rather cumbersome.

Correct. I think the (Windsor)London-Toronto-Montreal-Quebec City corridor with a branch line to Ottawa is the only part of Canada where HSR could work.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Thenoflyzone

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 am

Quoting Hawaiian763 (Thread starter):
I'm sure Air Canada will be applying this to their "Tango" Fares in the near future as well for travel within Canada.
Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 1):

It is still pretty amazing that to this day, WS, a low cost carrier, didn't charge for the first checked bag, be it on domestic or transborder flights.

AC has been charging for the first checked luggage to the States for years now, so I don't know what the fuss is all about. Yes, I can see AC matching WS and adding a checked bag fee for domestic flights as well.

And yes, they will probably be crucified, as they should be. Being the nation's full service flag carrier, that's the kind of media scrutiny you get.

AC should be leading by example, not following what others are doing, especially now that they have their LCC spin off Rouge.

Thenoflyzone

[Edited 2014-09-16 18:14:47]
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Viscount724

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:17 am

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 17):
And yes, they will probably be crucified, as they should be. Being the nation's full service flag carrier, that's the kind of media scrutiny you get.

The term "flag carrier" is now obsolete. All airlines that operate international routes are flag carriers on the routes they operate. It's a meaningless term now.

Skydrol

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:32 am

Quoting diverted (Reply 2):

I'm sick of the entitlement from pax that because bags have been free in the past they should stay that way. If the majority of people were willing to pay what it actually costs to transport them from A-B, then the industry wouldn't have gone this direction. You used to get a hot meal on a one hour regional hop, you used to get 34" pitch minimum, you used to get two free checked bags. But when you're paying next to nothing, the airline needs to make money somehow.

If you're willing to pay a little more, buy a slightly more expensive fare, get all those perks. Don't wanna pay a little more? learn how to travel with a carry on or pay the bag fee.

Give it a few months, everything will blow over, and people will stop complaining.

I am fine with this, only if:

The day after it goes into effect, the "econo" fare drops 25$ below what it was with the free bag to prove the savings are being passed on to those who travel bag-free, and then this fare shall remain 25$ less than the often-matched AC "Tango" fare.
Either be honest about passing on savings to pax who travel without a checked bag, or it's just a cash grab for an additional 25$ for those who do.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

yyz717

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 am

why is there not a high speed rail link from London to Quebec City?

There is no business case for it that makes sense. The capital costs alone would kill it, and the operating revenue would probably not ever cover the operating costs. It would also require massive public funding at the Federal and Provincial level, both of which are grappling with deficits and debt, and for which there is no appetite for anyway.

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 19):
I am fine with this, only if:

The day after it goes into effect, the "econo" fare drops 25$ below what it was with the free bag to prove the savings are being passed on to those who travel bag-free, and then this fare shall remain 25$ less than the often-matched AC "Tango" fare.
Either be honest about passing on savings to pax who travel without a checked bag, or it's just a cash grab for an additional 25$ for those who do.

I'm fine with it, without fares dropping to compensate. WS generates less ancillary revenue than most carriers and it's now playing catch-up which will make Canada's most successful airline ever even more successful (read: profitable).

If you want your $25 back, buy WJA stock on the TSX and watch it rise as these new ancillary fees drives WS profit even higher, then sell at a profit.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

longhauler

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 20):
The capital costs alone would kill it, and the operating revenue would probably not ever cover the operating costs.

I would have thought that existing infrastructure would already be in place. Doesn't CN/CP already own the land? I admit, I know nothing about the rail business. I see it work so well around the world ... why not in North America?

If you want your $25 back, buy WJA stock on the TSX and watch it rise as these new ancillary fees drives WS profit even higher, then sell at a profit.

Indeed it has. Both WS and AC stock jumped with the announcement.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

YVRLTN

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:12 am

Don't wanna pay a little more? learn how to travel with a carry on or pay the bag fee.

Not disagreeing with you, but for a family of four away for two weeks? Now thats an extra $200 return.

Quoting AirCanada787 (Reply 9):
Any bets on how long it takes AC to follow suit? If they do

In the above example a family saving $200 would win over someone who may have flown WS previously. The question is if the revenue from attracting such additional pax outweighs the revenue of the extra fees.

It is a disaster already on any airline. At least Boeing have come out with a larger bin now, maybe WS will get them retrofitted across the fleet.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

WildcatYXU

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:04 pm

And here it is! AC needed only 3 days to follow suit. Starting Nov. 2 (flights booked today or later), Tango customers will have to pay $25 for the first bag on domestic flights and on flights to the USA and to the Caribbean. Similarly to WS, ACV customers still get one bag free regardless of the booking class.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=807

Thenoflyzone

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 23):
And here it is! AC needed only 3 days to follow suit. Starting Nov. 2 (flights booked today or later), Tango customers will have to pay $25 for the first bag on domestic flights and on flights to the USA and to the Caribbean. Similarly to WS, ACV customers still get one bag free regardless of the booking class.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=807

That didn't take long ! Let the AC bashing begin.......(rightfully so I might add !)

"This change is expected to affect an estimated one in five Air Canada passengers on domestic flights within Canada"

I find that sentence hard to believe.

[Edited 2014-09-18 06:46:03]
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

WildcatYXU

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 24):
That didn't take long ! Let the AC bashing begin.......(rightfully so I might add !)

Well, in this case, I'll refrain from AC bashing for purely egoistic reasons (not that I agree with the ever growing list of surcharges)

[Edited 2014-09-18 07:14:52]

abrelosojos

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:21 pm

WS has lost any right of calling itself different.

However, I am amused that PD and WS are now being market leaders in Canada, and not AC. Not good for AC.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Viscount724

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:30 pm

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 26):
However, I am amused that PD and WS are now being market leaders in Canada, and not AC. Not good for AC.

AC has rarely been a market leader and it seems to work fine for them. For example, CP introduced a premium J class product before AC, CP dropped F class before AC, CP started offering free drinks in Y class on domestic routes before AC, and I can think of several other examples.

Why do you not consider that it's not good for AC to be the first to add new fees? I would think it would be better to be able to blame someone else for such a move and be able to say that you are only matching. They dd the same when they added the checked bag fee on transborder routes.

abrelosojos

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 27):
Why do you not consider that it's not good for AC to be the first to add new fees? I would think it would be better to be able to blame someone else for such a move and be able to say that you are only matching. They dd the same when they added the checked bag fee on transborder routes.

= Absolutely, that is one way of looking at airline strategy. The other view is that when a more profitable carrier (WS) can make a move like this - sort of in pricing and revenue terms, they are dictating the market. That is a better position to be in strategically.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

longhauler

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:49 pm

Another way to look at it, AC gets knocked all the time. Hell, look at this thread, WS adds baggage fees and people are complaining about AC!

The last three or four fare increases, (or fee increases in this case), have been from WS. AC just matches them. If it had been the other way around, with AC adding baggae fees, and WS matching ... the discussion would still be anti-AC.

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 28):
The other view is that when a more profitable carrier (WS) can make a move like this - sort of in pricing and revenue terms, they are dictating the market.

WS has been hinting over the last year to its employees, that they may no longer have the margin edge over AC's domestic and leisure operations, and need to look at further sources of cost cutting and revenue increases. This move therefore is not surprising.

jetblue1965

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:21 pm

If anything, these new changes from WS and subsequently AC is more a reason for a US-based pax to stay loyal with UA.

UA elites (which get *A Silver at the minimum) will continue to get certain extra baggage allowance or fee waivers at AC, while DL/AA elites, even top tiers, will probably be subject to the new fees from WS.

abrelosojos

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 29):

Another way to look at it, AC gets knocked all the time. Hell, look at this thread, WS adds baggage fees and people are complaining about AC!

The last three or four fare increases, (or fee increases in this case), have been from WS. AC just matches them. If it had been the other way around, with AC adding baggae fees, and WS matching ... the discussion would still be anti-AC.

= Hmm. But, don't you work for AC  ?

Quoting longhauler (Reply 29):
WS has been hinting over the last year to its employees, that they may no longer have the margin edge over AC's domestic and leisure operations, and need to look at further sources of cost cutting and revenue increases. This move therefore is not surprising.

= Of course. But, don't they have to do that given their annoying corporate culture  ? While I am sure that AC has reduced its CASK difference vs. WS, consistent better WS margins point to CASK still playing a role ... unless you tell me that WS commands far higher yields than AC ...?

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

yowza

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:58 pm

I think that this move by WS will at least partially backfire. Over on Facebook every new WS post is littered with people raging about the new fee. I'm only used to seeing this amount of disdain and anger direct at AC. AC following suit was a master class in PR presenting their $25 fee as them conforming to a new norm started by WS. Let's watch the fallout...

YOWza

ytz

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 16):
But apparently no one is interested.

No one was interested in the era of cheap flights. But I can't imagine the business community is all to happy about the rising cost of air travel. They will be pushing for high speed rail.

I didn't think it would happen in my lifetime. But with changes like these, the airlines keep bolstering the economic argument. And the security agencies keep bolstering the convenience argument.

Viscount724

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Quoting yowza (Reply 32):
I think that this move by WS will at least partially backfire. Over on Facebook every new WS post is littered with people raging about the new fee. I'm only used to seeing this amount of disdain and anger direct at AC. AC following suit was a master class in PR presenting their $25 fee as them conforming to a new norm started by WS. Let's watch the fallout...

People always complain when costs go up, but what's the alternative? You have no choice but to fly between most points in Canada except very shorthaul markets where driving is an option. And on transborder routes, what U.S. carriers aren't already charging for checked bags?

Personally I'm quite happy with unbundling all the extra services like baggage and paying only for what I use. I haven't checked a bag in almost 10 years. Everyone else will quickly get used to it, just like they've adapted to the loss of free inflight food service, cramped seating, and everything else that makes air travel so unpleasant these days.

[Edited 2014-09-18 12:32:17]

[Edited 2014-09-18 12:34:01]

opethfan

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:30 pm

Could added turn around time / gate checking end up being a significant hindrance? It hasn't seemed to so far for US carriers, but I found boarding / unboarding on B6 faster and more pleasant than on DL.

longhauler

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 31):
But, don't you work for AC

Yes ... and your point?

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 31):
While I am sure that AC has reduced its CASK difference vs. WS, consistent better WS margins point to CASK still playing a role ... unless you tell me that WS commands far higher yields than AC ...?

To be accurate, one would have to look at AC's domestic/leisure costs/yields separately from the entire airline. And, that information is not in the public domain. But rest assured, WS is well aware of it.

czbbflier

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 pm

With one of the best rail manuafacturers in the world headquartered in Canada, why is there not a high speed rail link from London to Quebec City?

This is waaaaaayyy off topic but in short, the capital investment required, not to mention the political capital required are simply too high in this environment. Neither CP nor CN could do it alone, requiring billions in loan guarantees from the federal government. HSR works where the market is dense. It also works in jurisdictions where the government, regardless of political stripes at are in power, is committed to the project in the short, medium and long term. A surfeit of electricity is needed, often generated by nuclear power. Land use planning must be much less car-centric. Taxation policy must favour rail over air. Rail subsidies must be massively higher than they are now.

If the majority of people were willing to pay what it actually costs to transport them from A-B, then the industry wouldn't have gone this direction.

Agreed. I can't find any source right now but I recall the one-way fare between Montreal and Vancouver in 1938 was about $250.00, or roughly $4,800 in today's dollars.

And yet, on a good day we can fly between these two cities for about the same dollar amount. In 1938 dollars, the modern-day fare of $250 would have been $15.51.

So the airlines have to get their income from somewhere.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 37):
If the majority of people were willing to pay what it actually costs to transport them from A-B, then the industry wouldn't have gone this direction.

Agreed. I can't find any source right now but I recall the one-way fare between Montreal and Vancouver in 1938 was about $250.00, or roughly $4,800 in today's dollars.

And in 1960, the year jet service began, the one-way Y class fare YUL-YVR was $123, equivalent to $997 today. Random check of fares in mid-October shows one-way fares as low as $297, less than 1/3 of the 1960 fare, and that's with all airport/government fees/taxes included. Only $222 of that goes to the airline. In 1960 the airline kept it all as there were no taxes on air fares in Canada then.

yyz717

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 21):
The capital costs alone would kill it, and the operating revenue would probably not ever cover the operating costs.

I would have thought that existing infrastructure would already be in place. Doesn't CN/CP already own the land? I admit, I know nothing about the rail business.

Existing tracks are in place, but would need to be upgrading to handle high speed trains. If current track usage cannot be co-scheduled with high speed trains, new tracks would be needed. Also, the capital cost of new rolling stock would be needed in either case. There is no business case for this for Canada's small population centres (by world standards) and it would require massive government spending (the last thing we need) for which there is no $ and no demand.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 34):
Personally I'm quite happy with unbundling all the extra services like baggage and paying only for what I use. I haven't checked a bag in almost 10 years.

Me too. All aspects of the fare should be based on a per-use basis. This $25 fee is voluntary, since air travel is always optional, and checking luggage (on an optional flight) is always optional.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

raddek

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:08 am

A model that was based a lot after what WN was doing and now this?

I feel for the consumers in the north now. West Jet can't turn healthy
profits without charging for silly bags? In my view they could have
been a little more creative in finding ways of generating extra
revenues instead of going to the easiest way of cash, and that's
charging for bags.

opethfan

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:40 am

Quoting raddek (Reply 40):

WS' model has been different from WN for some time. They have assigned seating, travel agent booking, multiple aircraft types (Q400, 737, 767), operate a hub structure from major Canadian airports (YYZ, YYC, YVR), codeshares, and now a 3 tiered loyalty system that I think is setting them up for joining OW, as I speculated in the Qantas to YVR thread.

There's definitely enough demand in Canada for more than one network carrier, and there's news of 2 ULCCs entering the market, so WS adapt as necessary.

drgmobile

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 34):

Personally I'm quite happy with unbundling all the extra services like baggage and paying only for what I use.

Perhaps something like that will actually play out. One of the things to come out of a Conference Board report on Canada/U.S. cost differences 2-3 years ago was that the biggest part of the cost differential between Canada and the U.S. is the base fare -- even after everything hidden in the base fare is accounted for. But of course by it's nature airline ticket pricing is not an easy beast to dissect.

Besides the obvious increase in cost for those who do bring bags, the downside is that there are unintended consequences: More carry-on baggage that slows down security screening and less space in the bins for everybody. This is a logistical challenge for boarding and hits even frequent flyers because the number of people who get early boarding is pretty healthy and sometimes we arrive late for flights.

I'll never forget the time I showed up for a flight and about half of the first two rows of Y were taken up by deadheading flight attendants who boarded before everybody and took up the entire bin space. But that's another thread entirely.