Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

PIA Passengers Stage Revolt Against Delay.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:01 pm

"A group of irate passengers prevented a top Pakistani politician from boarding a flight, after they were kept on board for two hours until he arrived."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29218939

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26...-passengers-keeping-it-delayed_fun

Why to go people.  

Type-Rated

RE: PIA Passengers Stage Revolt Against Delay.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:18 pm

That was pretty brutal. I wonder if the passengers were jumping up and down making the plane bounce at the gate. A woman I spoke to many years ago said she was in Pakistan and the plane was oversold all the passengers started jumping up and down on the plane and yelling until it was resolved. The whole plane was bouncing at the gate!

bennett123

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:29 pm

How was it resolved.

Ammad

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:58 pm

It is a late night Karachi to Islamabad PK370 Flight which usually departs at 7:00 PM and arrived ISB at 9:00 P.M local time. All of the 150 Plus passengers boarded before 7:00 P.M, but Aircraft keep on waiting for two law makers/Parliamentarian for about 2.5 hours causing problem and pain for already boarded Passengers, so after waiting for so long Passengers finally stands up and first ask for the reason of delay which being lollipop by PIA staff as technical reason but later it was revealed that it is due to two of the politicians.

So angry passengers show up on Aircraft gate and when they saw that so called VIP is on his way, they start shouting and asking them to return back, which he did, and flight departed after delay of 2.5 Hours.

[Edited 2014-09-16 10:00:25]

AT

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Although it may seem hooligan-ish there is also something simultaneously very 'democratic' about this video: the regular folk standing up to- and in this case winning- the politicians.

What was the eventual outcome?

Ammad

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Probably not hooliganish, but standing up for rights after subjugation for 2.5 hours. Final out come was Flight departed after 2.5 hours delay, without Minister/Politician.

N415XJ

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:38 am

Great video. To those here who speak the language being spoken in the video (I do not recognize them, but I'm guessing either Sindhi, Punjabi, or Urdu based on a wiki article on Pakistani languages- no offense intended if I am incorrect in my assumption), what is generally being said? I know that the man yells at the politician in English, but are we missing anything important in the conversations being had say, in the beginning of the video by the door?

[Edited 2014-09-16 19:39:59]

etops1

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:39 am

I say good for the passengers !

rcair1

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:35 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Thread starter):
Why to go people.  

I think you mean way to go - and I concur.

Quoting AT (Reply 4):
Although it may seem hooligan-ish there is also something simultaneously very 'democratic' about this video: the regular folk standing up to- and in this case winning- the politicians.

Yes.

Now my story... (1990's)

- At Heathrow - boarding LH for FRA then DEN - in Business class.
- Man boards - sit behind me.
- Few minutes later - gate attendant comes and asks for boarding pass
- Examines pass, it is for FRA-DEN flight I'm going to meet.
- Asks for correct pass.
- Man does not have one. Investigation shows he does not have a ticket for this flight - just the FRA-DEN one.
- Gate attendant asks him to deplane.
- He refuses.
- Argument ensues (really - arguing with LH?)
- Man finally exclaims loudly "Don't you know who I am? I'm a US Senator - I MUST get to that flight in Frankfurt"
- LH was unimpressed.
- Many people now watching, boarding being delayed.
- In one of my better moments - I stand up and say "Senator" - since you are paid by my taxes, you work for me and you are embarrassing me and my country. Leave the plane.
- He left.
- I got VERY nice service from LH enroute to FRA.

Ammad

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 am

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 6):
what is generally being said? I know that the man yells at the politician in English

Conversation is in URDU, which is national language of Pakistan, while rest of the languages you mention are regional languages, URDU is widely spoken and understood in Pakistan.

The first sentence he says, I will grill them (VIPS) don't you worry.
These donkeys (VIP'S) should face consequences now, every time they do the same and say sorry after that. We are not going to take it any more, we did this for 68 years, now we are not going to tolerate for another 68 years?
Flight is delay, who did that? Sorry Malik Sorry. 250 Passengers are suffering because of you.

More on this news link

Passengers expel Rehman Malik, PML-N MNA from flight over delay

KARACHI: A video clip showing irate airline passengers expel Senator Rehman Malik and another lawmaker for what appears to be a delay in a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flight has gone viral on the internet.

After facing what they said was a delay of two and a half hours, passengers of an Islamabad-bound PIA flight from Karachi, barred Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Rehman Malik and Pakistan Muslim League - Nawaz (PML-N) Member of National Assembly Dr Ramesh Kumar Wakwani from boarding the aircraft. The two were accused of holding the plane back while other passengers waited for hours.

"We have taken it for too long... 68 years... are we going to take it for another 68 years?" passengers can be heard saying.

As Malik approached the jetway that connects the terminal to the aircraft, furious passengers are heard saying, "Malik sahab, sorry. You should go back. You should apologise to these passengers. You should be ashamed of yourself... 250 passengers have suffered because of you. It is your fault, sir."

The clip uploaded to video-sharing site Dailymotion early Tuesday shows passengers booing and ridiculing the lawmakers as they approach the aircraft to board. Crew members joined angry passengers in creating a din, which forced the two legislators away from the aircraft amid chants and slogans.

"Malik sahab, you are not a minister any more. And even if you are, we don't care... anymore."

PIA's flight PK-370 was scheduled to depart from Karachi's Jinnah International Airport at 7 pm but was delayed by more than two and a half hours.

Dr Ramesh Kumar Wakwani appeared to be accompanying Rehman Malik, and was also taken off the aircraft.

The flight departed for its destination without the two lawmakers.

Source: DAWN
http://www.dawn.com/news/1132305/pas...l-n-mna-from-pia-flight-over-delay

yyz717

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:14 am

Quoting Ammad (Reply 5):
Probably not hooliganish, but standing up for rights after subjugation for 2.5 hours.

No, it absolutely was hooliganism. Shameful hooliganism. All passengers involved in this should have been de-planed and arguably charged criminally.

There is no excuse for an airline to hold a flight for 2 politicians but this is a customer service issue which can be resolved in a civilized way. If the politicians somehow had political clout enabling them to hold the flight, well then that can be dealt with at the ballot box.

PIA already has a horrible reputation for safety and service; allowing a flight to hold for 2 hours to pick up 2 politicians and further allowing the flight to proceed with troublemakers still onboard will do nothing for PIA's reputation.

[Edited 2014-09-16 23:38:05]

blueflyer

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:43 am

"You people have to become humans."

Great line.

DIJKKIJK

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 am

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 10):
All passengers involved in this should have been de-planed and arguably charged criminally.

Why? They did not commit any criminal act, unless castigating a former minister for his bad behaviour and insensitivity to the needs of others is a criminal act in Pakistan. I doubt it is.

The entire episode only goes to show how much the average person in countries like Pakistan, and many others, is fed up with the arrogant and boorish behaviour of the politicians he/she elects.

More power to the average person. I hope this sets an example.

[Edited 2014-09-17 02:21:03]

fca767

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:47 am

the crew got suspended i heard in another story. Is that for delaying the flight? has any EU flight been delayed because of a minister

777Jet

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 1):
The whole plane was bouncing at the gate!

I wonder if it was bouncing at the gate like the Soul Plane flight 069 when Captain Mack aka Snoop Dogg flicked the hydraulic siwtches and got that thing bouncing  

nautilusgr

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Well done (and I mean it) Pakistani people for not tolerating the 2.5hr delay and showing the politicians what you expect from them!

Next thing you need to stop tolerating, perhaps child abuse and underage prostitution.

Regards

Ammad

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:14 pm

Quoting nautilusgr (Reply 15):
Next thing you need to stop tolerating, perhaps child abuse and underage prostitution.

Wondering what it have to do with current thread? It could be cases of underage marriage, not prostitution though.

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 12):
The entire episode only goes to show how much the average person in countries like Pakistan, and many others, is fed up with the arrogant and boorish behaviour of the politicians he/she elects.

Correct, I second that. - It was NOT absolute hooliganism.

PIA already has a horrible reputation for safety and service;

Is this is your generalization, result of some bad experience or just personal vendetta?

Here i want to add PIA have issues, not very least with Safety, also, for Reputation is some how correct, but still much better than couple of Airlines in same region, so can't say horrible, but average.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:47 pm

A question worth asking, could this situation have happened at many other airports around the world?
A nornal flight held back to provide service to an "important person."

AirbusCanada

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting AT (Reply 4):

I wouldn't consider anyone "regular folk" who can afford a domestic plane ticket in Pakistan.
It's probably western equivalent of flying on a business jets. But good for the passengers.

yowza

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:04 pm

well then that can be dealt with at the ballot box.

You don't get out of Canada much do you? The sad reality is that in many places, Pakistan included, even when votes count for something they often replace one set of corrupts clowns with another. While I am not an advocate of this pitchfork protest mentality I understand why this happened and applaud the pax for publicly shaming this arse of a politician and keeping things non-violent.

YOWza

Ammad

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Quoting airbuscanada (Reply 18):
I wouldn't consider anyone "regular folk" who can afford a domestic plane ticket in Pakistan.
It's probably western equivalent of flying on a business jets. But good for the passengers.

Oh no it's not like that. P.I.A, Shaheen, Air Blue and Air Indus deployed heavily on domestic sectors. Catering pretty big crowd of domestic travelers every day.

AirbusCanada

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Quoting Ammad (Reply 20):
Oh no it's not like that. P.I.A, Shaheen, Air Blue and Air Indus deployed heavily on domestic sectors. Catering pretty big crowd of domestic travelers every day.

Yes, it might be a very big domestic market, with four airlines, but still not big enough.
if you put % of people can afford to fly (Elites) vs. take other forms of transportation(common folks), i am sure its' very low.

Just like % of people that fly commercially between let's say NYC-LA (common folks) , vs people take their private jet on the same route. (Elites)

yyz717

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 12):
Why? They did not commit any criminal act,

Causing a commotion on a civil airliner? That's a criminal act in Western (aka civilized) nations.

Quoting Ammad (Reply 16):
PIA already has a horrible reputation for safety and service;

Is this is your generalization, result of some bad experience or just personal vendetta?

None of the above. Based on all the hell stories about PIA on here and in the press for years. I can understand your being defensive though. So goes the country, so goes the national carrier....

Quoting yowza (Reply 19):
You don't get out of Canada much do you?

Childish response.

[Edited 2014-09-17 14:06:44]

Ammad

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:27 am

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 22):
I can understand your being defensive though. So goes the country, so goes the national carrier....

What make you think like that? No body is buying your self imposing 'Judge Style' like comment. Also, it will be great if you keep discussion aviation specific only and not extending to country.

india1

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:57 am

Us subcontinental folk can better understand this. Our political elites somehow have a completely mislaced sense of entitlement that comes with the posts they hold. Every once in a while they need to be reminded that they are merely elected public servants and not descendants of royalty.

If you see the clips, it was a "peaceful" protest albeit with (understandably) raised voices and heckling - no jostling, no pushing, no physicality. I think the good minister thought discretion was the better part of valour and turned tail.

I say, more power to the people and good for the passengers!

Type-Rated

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 14):
The whole plane was bouncing at the gate!

I wonder if it was bouncing at the gate like the Soul Plane flight 069 when Captain Mack aka Snoop Dogg flicked the hydraulic siwtches and got that thing bouncing

I don't know. This woman was in Saudi Arabia when the king died. All the employees of her company were told that if they don't leave NOW the airport will be closed and they won't get out for weeks. So she went to the airport to come back to the USA and all flights thru Europe were full. So she decided to come back trans-pacific. The flight she was on went through Karachi. There were quite a few non Pakistani's on board headed to Asia and the USA. Then they found out the flight was oversold and PIA told the passengers that not everyone can continue on. That's when the yelling and screaming and jumping went on. She said from her seat on the plane you could see the wings moving like the plane was flying through turbulence while on the ground.
She said it was actually quite frightening.

opethfan

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 am

well then that can be dealt with at the ballot box.

There is a lot more to democracy than putting a piece of paper in a box once every few years and hoping that the powers that be will respect your preference.

iah59

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:31 am

Please keep your own judgement comments to yourself. First go visit the country and tour around before you make assumptions.

JOYA380B747

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 am

I'd say to those saying this was a criminal act by passengers, that you are just wrong. While you may be fine with laying low throughout your lives, with the bureaucracy doing what they want, we need to learn from this incident that sometimes politicians need to be brought back to the ground and made aware of what little they are.

Quoting india1 (Reply 24):
If you see the clips, it was a "peaceful" protest albeit with (understandably) raised voices and heckling - no jostling, no pushing, no physicality. I think the good minister thought discretion was the better part of valour and turned tail.

Exactly.

While many of the folks in the west, especially those in the States, bicker about suing every tom dick and harry that accidentally drops hot milk on their hands or cause 'mental agony' (which is absolutely hilarious) to open lawsuits and crave for money, let me tell you that there are better ways to deal with wrongdoers, and with politicians this is a great example of a just action.

I hope this incident is circulated more in India because we face ordeals like this everyday, esp on Air India flights (not surprisingly). These people need to be reminded that they were never given wings.

JOYA380B747

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:57 am

Causing a commotion on a civil airliner? That's a criminal act in Western (aka civilized) nations.

You are so right,...... causing a 'commotion on a civil airliner' leads to airplane hijacking, and is a matter of 'national security'.      

wzafar

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:40 am

I say good on the passengers for not putting up with this crap!

A340313X

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Nothing personal but I think this is a bit naïve. People accept the norm far too readily these days in societies where we are groomed from day one to accept conventions and not to speak out or think differently. I am glad these pax made a stand. It should happen a lot more.

abrelosojos

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Quoting yowza (Reply 19):
You don't get out of Canada much do you?

Childish response.

= I have to agree with YowZA. I don't think his response was childish at all. There are several recent threads where you seem to make large generalizations for no real purpose.

Good for the PIA passengers. I always think there is something great about revolt. Too many Western countries have become meek and subservient.

Saludos,
Alex

yyz717

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 33):
Good for the PIA passengers. I always think there is something great about revolt.

Would you feel comfortable being on a flight where passengers were taunting and shouting before the flight took off? Let alone in a country as unstable as Pakistan from a security and safety standpoint? No, neither would I.

There are several recent threads where you seem to make large generalizations for no real purpose.

Pot. Kettle. Black. See below.....

Too many Western countries have become meek and subservient.

Wow, what a large generalization, for no real purpose.

Flightsimboy

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:16 am

That was pretty brutal. I wonder if the passengers were jumping up and down making the plane bounce at the gate. A woman I spoke to many years ago said she was in Pakistan and the plane was oversold all the passengers started jumping up and down on the plane and yelling until it was resolved. The whole plane was bouncing at the gate!

Really why do people in this part of the world have to be so dramatic....are people jumping on a plane really capable to make it bounce, who needs turbulence in that case lol  .

No, it absolutely was hooliganism. Shameful hooliganism. All passengers involved in this should have been de-planed and arguably charged criminally.

There is no excuse for an airline to hold a flight for 2 politicians but this is a customer service issue which can be resolved in a civilized way. If the politicians somehow had political clout enabling them to hold the flight, well then that can be dealt with at the ballot box.

PIA already has a horrible reputation for safety and service; allowing a flight to hold for 2 hours to pick up 2 politicians and further allowing the flight to proceed with troublemakers still onboard will do nothing for PIA's reputation.

If you understand the politics in that part of the world, where one political leader is currently calling for the resignation of another due to the ballot box, it has sparked a sense of boldness in the people for change, and what happened here is purely based on people taking this nonsense for years. And they need to be criminally charged, really.

PIA has a great reputation with safety, far better than some other carriers. There was no need to be so brutal.

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 34):

Would you feel comfortable being on a flight where passengers were taunting and shouting before the flight took off? Let alone in a country as unstable as Pakistan from a security and safety standpoint? No, neither would I.

If you were one of those passengers, I'd bet you'd have done the same. For your information this does not happen on every flight on a daily basis. As others have mentioned, you do need to get out sometimes and see there is another world out there.....

yyz717

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:26 am

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 35):
PIA has a great reputation with safety, far better than some other carriers.

Umm no. Until recently, their entire fleet (except the 777 fleet) was banned from the EU due to safety concerns. Great reputation indeed.

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 35):
If you were one of those passengers, I'd bet you'd have done the same.

I would have de-boarded, for sure. Perhaps Pakistani natives would (and apparently, did) remain on board.

rcair1

Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:21 am

Would you feel comfortable being on a flight where passengers were taunting and shouting before the flight took off? Let alone in a country as unstable as Pakistan from a security and safety standpoint? No, neither would I

Actually - putting myself in their shoes - sure, I'd board. Likely with more of a sense of connection with the other passengers than normal. It is pretty clear the disruption was aimed at the entitlement demonstrated toward the politicians, not some nasty plane to perform a terrorist act or something nefarious.

Dr. Nefario.... (um - I mean Bob)

abrelosojos

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:24 am

= Please do not tell me how I would feel. I would be completely comfortable being a pax on this flight. I don't get how Pakistan's security and safety had anything to do in terms of this flight.

There are several recent threads where you seem to make large generalizations for no real purpose.

Pot. Kettle. Black. See below.....

Too many Western countries have become meek and subservient.

Wow, what a large generalization, for no real purpose.

= That was my point. You have a tendency to make these huge generalizations all across the board ... which is fine. But, be prepared to have people call you out on the same.

Saludos,
Alex

DXBDFWHGA

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:23 pm

I say bravo to the passengers for standing up for their rights.

brahmin

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:47 pm

Shabash PIA passengers.

Emirates773ER

Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:47 am

Way to go people! These Pakistani politicians deserve no respect.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:43 pm

It appears that the gentleman who filmed this and then posted it has lost his job

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29428744

It is not made clear if the person worked for PIA or someone else.

777way

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 am

He worked for FedEx who are represented by Gerry's in Pakistan.

mandala499

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 pm

If the politicians somehow had political clout enabling them to hold the flight, well then that can be dealt with at the ballot box.

You cannot be serious !   

Quoting 777way (Reply 42):
He worked for FedEx who are represented by Gerry's in Pakistan.

It is alleged that Gerry's Group in Pakistan has dismissed the guy, but the group has said they fired him for not turning up for work in 2 weeks, not because of the incident. Whatever it is, there's a #ShameOnGerrysGroup campaign on twitter, and people pounding the @GerrysGroup twitter account. Unfortunately, over the past 24hrs, people seem to have started to use #ShameOnGerrys and pounding @GerryS twitter account... who happens to be someone also working in aviation,, another country, and he deals with VIP flights... Let's just say, he's not a happy guy as some of his negotiations with a ground handling company in neighbouring India has been put on hold, and that his employers are concerned about the issue having negative effect on their VIP charter flights...

AT

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 pm

What is saddest is that even though they may be in terrible shape now, they USED to be a great airline. In the 1970s and 1980s they were ahead of the times, reliable, fairly extensive in their route system, and fun to fly. Great food too! I have so many fond memories flying their A300s and DC10s.

777way

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Their golden era was 1960s to early 1970s by the 1980s they were quite bad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos