Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airway1
Topic Author

Gulf Air Announces KWI To IST Direct

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:50 pm

With the growth Kuwait airport is witnessing and lack of a national airline able to handle the local demand Gulf Air announced today direct service to Istanbul from Kuwait adding to the list of new airlines adding flights from Pegasus to atlasJet. This could be the start that FlyDybai is looking for to use Kuwait as a base for other direct flights. Let's see who else reacts to this news.

www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=385922

Qatara340

RE: Gulf Air Announces KWI To IST Direct

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Quoting airway1 (Thread starter):
With the growth Kuwait airport is witnessing and lack of a national airline able to handle the local demand Gulf Air announced today direct service to Istanbul from Kuwait adding to the list of new airlines adding flights from Pegasus to atlasJet. This could be the start that FlyDybai is looking for to use Kuwait as a base for other direct flights. Let's see who else reacts to this news.

I doubt that FlyDubai would be allowed to operate from KWI considering that Dubai cancelled Jazeera Airways's operating license when it had a base in Dubai.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

airway1
Topic Author

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 1):
I doubt that FlyDubai would be allowed to operate from KWI considering that Dubai cancelled Jazeera Airways's operating license when it had a base in Dubai.

True but Kuwait can surprise you! They did give them their own terminal. I can't see Kuwait defending Jazeera or stopping FlyD from expanding their schedule. Only time will tell. Plus Jazeera is functioning like KU no new routes and slow in adding capacity. Too busy renting out their planes.

LAXintl

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Route will be a blood bath

That is 5 airlines in the market including 3 LCCs.

Turkish, Pegasus, Atlasjet, Jazeera and now Gulf Air.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Qatara340

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 3):
Turkish, Pegasus, Atlasjet, Jazeera and now Gulf Air.

Turkish already announced an increase of nine dailies. A lot of Kuwaitis travel to Istanbul and live there. Kuwaiti popstar Nawal also resides in Instanbul, fyi.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

SCQ83

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Why isn't Jazeera expanding then?

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 4):
Turkish already announced an increase of nine dailies. A lot of Kuwaitis travel to Istanbul and live there. Kuwaiti popstar Nawal also resides in Instanbul, fyi.

Well I can well imagine TK has an amazing amount of connecting traffic at KWI. Compared to Qatar or Dubai, Kuwait Airways does not have many destinations, and most Kuwaitis will not fly their national carrier anyway. And flying through the ME3 from KWI can be OK for America or Asia, but it is kind of a detour to fly to Western Europe... and Turkish fits nicely there.

airway1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 am

Today in the news Gulf Air expanded their announcement today they will increase flights to Istanbul to 4 weekly flights and also add Munich, Paris, Athens & Cyprus! Next summer will be interesting! Lets see how everyone else reacts.

http://alwatan.kuwait.tt/articledeta...s.aspx?Id=385929&yearquarter=20143

What happened to their expansion in Saudi?

Just a note Kuwait airport in August handled 1.17 million pax busiest month in the history of the airport with ZERO growth from the national airline on the capacity front.

atal17

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:05 am

Quoting airway1 (Reply 6):

Really interesting.

I think it kind of makes sense to launch EU routes out of KWI. I can see demand to places like CDG/GVA/ZRH/MUC.

Is it too premature to say that Golden Falcon is rising again?   

HiJazzey

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Quoting airway1 (Reply 6):
What happened to their expansion in Saudi?

They've distanced themselves from "Saudi Gulf", saying they are only consultants.

Good on Kuwait for liberalising their aviation market. I hope our guys take note.

directorguy

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Gulf Air has a history of flying routes from non hubs. They had Dammam to Kathmandu nonstop for some time. Would be great to see them expand in the Kuwaiti market-given how aggressive The ME3 have become it makes sense for the smaller fish to band together. At one point Kuwait had a very interesting local market, with a premium airline that has since collapsed (Wataniya) and Jazeera. Now the former is still flying but doesn't have much coverage although at one point they were bigger than KU.
Does the GF KWI IST flight originate in BAH with the same flight number?

airway1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 9):

At one point Gulf looked like expanding Dammam service but that has been shelved. Kuwait continues to grow and airlines have been aggressive the past 2 years in adding capacity to Kuwait. Watanyia will hopefully start early next quarter. Jazeera lost direction thanks to their leasing business. Emirates will add a 7th daily in Dec. Etihad will be upping to 5 dailies. I expect next summer a few other additions.

Flight GF 45 starts in Bahrain. If they add Munich, Paris, Athens, Cyprus and "other routes" if they are successful will mean planes will be based in Kuwait. Bahrain air used to fly to Beirut direct before they shutdown.

Let's see how the ME3 react to this

q8flyer

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:24 pm

I think all of those airlines are racing to have a bigger piece of the cake before its too late.
KU will start receiving new planes starting from Dec. 2014. Moreover, Boeing deal for 10 B77W is being finalized with deliveries starting from 2016. Hence with KU new capacity offering direct routes to much more destinations i'm expecting airlines to start downgrading frequencies starting 2016. I think its a matter of time and airlines know its coming.

airway1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 pm

What are KU receiving in Dec? Most the these planes are replacement rentals until they get the new planes. Am I correct? KU is so behind on frequency on some of its routes and are missing routes they can serve I doubt by the time. kU recieved all their planes airlines will downsize.

Plus how many airplanes can KWI handle per day? At the height of the summer we had 150 take offs and that compares to last year at around 125. I see airlines putting more frequency creating a nightmare for the airport.

directorguy

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Best of luck to the Kuwaiti airlines.
I remember J9 was a very promising airline-they had a hub in DXB and flew to several interesting places from there-not just India but the Maldives too. Flew there several times from Dubai to Bahrain-they were definitely a novelty in the pre-FZ days and were convenient for those who didn't want the SHJ experience. They closed down the Dubai,hub just before FZ was announced or started ops, and at the moment they have a large operation to Egypt mainly to second tier cities.

The Gulf market cannot sustain so many fiercely competitive airlines-eventually there will be consolidation and right sizing. Not up to date with the relations between Kuwait and Bahrain but surely nothing like the sour grapes between Bahrain and Qatar? Perhaps a relationship between GF and KU might not be too hard to imagine.

q8flyer

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Quoting airway1 (Reply 12):
What are KU receiving in Dec? Most the these planes are replacement rentals until they get the new planes. Am I correct? KU is so behind on frequency on some of its routes and are missing routes they can serve I doubt by the time. kU recieved all their planes airlines will downsize.

Exactly, that's why i wrote they will start reducing frequencies from 2016 onward when B77Ws start coming.

airway1
Topic Author

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:16 am

The healthier scenario for me is that prices come down. I can't see emirates, Etihad, Qatar or any of the other GCC airlines reducing flights (maybe Gulf). With the growth at 10% yearly the pax numbers should be around 13 million. That will need a lot of new flights to cater too.

airway1
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Second route announcement starting Oct 26th Gulf Air starts kuwait to Larnaca twice a week. We wait for Munich, Paris and Athens

atal17

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting airway1 (Reply 16):

I believe MUC will have to see BAH service first before KWI.

But CDG should start soon.

airway1
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 am

Quoting atal17 (Reply 17):

Well MUC could be a BAh-KWI-MUC route soon as it has been announced. I am not sure what Gulf is trying to do here but I am sure KWI facility will not be able to deal with Gulf adding more routes out of Kuwait especially that Watanyia airlines is targeted to start in 2015, Emirates is adding their 7th daily in Dec and frequency being added by the other regional airlines.
FlyD using their own terminal has helped the airport (9-12 dailies). The airport is designed to handle 5 to 6 million pax and not 10 million plus.

777way

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 am

Do Wataniya plan same all Premium Economy service?

atal17

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:01 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 19):

They haven't officially announced a relaunch. More details should follow when they do such a thing.

airway1
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Today I noticed kuwait to Najaf 2 flights by Gulf Air. I am wondering if gulf is having to tag kuwait to fill planes cause this not the norms. Do we have any Gulf Air staff who can give us an insight on what's going on..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos