Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Bombardier - Rostec Q400 Deal Put On Ice

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:21 pm

More bad news for BBD....

Rostec says its proposed JV to set up Q400 final assembly line has been postponed.

Company says it has been unable to reach a deal with BBD due to "political and negotiation problems."

Earlier Russian Minister of Industry and Trade complained about “various obscure statements” made by Canadian authorities on the imposition of sanctions that motivated the Russian government to reconsider the project.

Rostec, Bombardier postpone Q400 assembly in Russia
http://atwonline.com/government-affa...dier-postpone-q400-assembly-russia

=

Just the other day I was reading about how the Q400 delivery backlog had dipped below 100 frames, and that BBD would need to very soon decide on future production rate and subsequent potential negative effects on unit cost if the model sees low production rates.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Quantos

RE: Bombardier - Rostec Q400 Deal Put On Ice

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 pm

I cannot say that I'm surprised. The Canadian government keeps slapping on new sanctions on Russia. This surely had an effect on this deal.
Quantos,

I maintain the Airbus A220 (formerly Bombardier C Series) Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

bunumuring

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:49 pm

I would think that this deal is a natural to be cancelled.
No one should be doing business such as this, with technological and intellectual transfer taking place, with Russia while Putin is in power.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

mercure1

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Raises further questions about future of the Q400 line.

Not sure what BBD needs to do. Maybe downscale - lighter, cheaper version to better match ATR family success.
mercure f-wtcc

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Yes BBD will need to make some though decisions regarding the model if the order book remains so thin much longer.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

JoeCanuck

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:28 pm

This wasn't much of a deal in the first place. From the first word of this cooperation, it sounded tenuous at best. The the slow rate of Russian aircraft production, I seriously doubt it would have added very much to the Q400 inventories.
What the...?

xdlx

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:21 am

Could they just bring back the Q200/300 with the speed improvements of the 400series

yyz717

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:27 am

Quoting Quantos (Reply 1):
I cannot say that I'm surprised. The Canadian government keeps slapping on new sanctions on Russia. This surely had an effect on this deal.
Quoting mercure1 (Reply 3):
Raises further questions about future of the Q400 line.

Agreed.

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 3):
Not sure what BBD needs to do. Maybe downscale - lighter, cheaper version to better match ATR family success.

They've announced a new-build combi version (which likely won't generate many orders) and a high-density 86-pax version which was shrewd in that it takes some of the (dying) wind out of the proposed ATR-92.

Quoting xdlx (Reply 6):
Could they just bring back the Q200/300 with the speed improvements of the 400series

That would show commitment to the entire line and airlines do want families of airliners. The Q400 looks too much like an orphan right now.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

queb

Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting xdlx (Reply 6):

Not the same tooling, not the same wing, not the same engines and not the same gears. To name only the most important differences.

queb

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Anyway, BBD is negociating a similar deal with China.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos