Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zhiao
Topic Author

Question On UA Domestic Seats

Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:21 am

Just a few questions which I think many would like to hear about:

1. What exactly is the new streamlines Domestic Y seat that will be used? I remember the unveiling of some thin blue ones but I just came off an a320 and they were slim grey seats. Also, will there be a common Domestic F seat?

2. What is the deal with direct tv? Will it stay?

AA737-823

RE: Question On UA Domestic Seats

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 am

The gray seat cushion covers were installed before the blue ones had been decided on. They grays will be replaced with the blues, eventually. It's just a cover, not a high-cost item.
The domestic first seat is just starting to be mentioned by people in the know. I doubt anything significant will happen there for several years. There's not much point. Why go to the trouble of replacing 16F seats with 16 new F seats?

DirecTV is a mess. Planes that have it are keeping it. Planes that don't, for the most part, aren't getting it. They're getting streaming content and wifi instead.

burnsie28

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:49 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 1):
It's just a cover, not a high-cost item.

I wouldn't say its not a high cost item. Given that even when you change any color part of the covering it has to be re-certified.

zhiao
Topic Author

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Why is direct tv a mess? I loved it

S75752

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:45 am

Quoting zhiao (Reply 3):
Why is direct tv a mess? I loved it

-High price for so little, and on a per-flight basis.
-Not on-demand (which is especially bad for Movies which seem to also be on channels of sorts)
-Lacks moving map (might vary on carriers)
-The in-armrest controls are rather awkward specifically for it.
-Tiny screen (smaller than the AVOD ones usually I think)
-The grey hard plastic seatback just looks plain ugly compared to the sleeker AVOD systems.
-Can't change the angle when the seat in front of you reclines.
-Has a habit of turning itself on randomly and blasting its light in to your face after you turn it off.
-Don't recall if it's commercial free or not, but it sure better be.

It's been a while since I've been on a DTV 738 (I avoid them), so correct me if my memory has played tricks on me.
I'd take Wifi + Power over DTV any day, but sadly that only applies on 739ER. Wifi/Stream even without power is preferrable over DTV for up to a 3.5 hour flight.
Sadly, the 738 seems to be their favorite transcon craft (DTV, No wifi, only Y+ power), followed by the 752 (same) and 320 (Wifi stream, no power at all).

UA444

Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:16 am

DirectTV has always been a humongous rip-off. And I agree that those seat backs are hideously ugly. The Airbus may have had overheads, but they were free and the programming generally was pretty good. And they had Channel 9, which wins over anything.

adamblang

Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:39 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 4):
I'd take Wifi + Power over DTV any day

Conveniently, you won't have to make that choice. When the fleet fitment is done, all aircraft with 100+ seats will have WiFi + WiFi streaming + power, WiFi + DirecTV + power, or WiFi + on demand entertainment + power.

TWA772LR

Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:46 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 5):
DirectTV has always been a humongous rip-off

I actually agree with you, surprisingly. I know the provider footed the bill for the installation, but UA should've just added 50 cents to a dollar to the ticket price and just say the TV is "free". They'd make a lot more money that way than just a handful of people that actually use it. You even have to pay to see the moving flight map!!!

Are there any numbers out there on how many people buy the service?

They should just streamline the WHOLE fleet and put the widebody AVOD on the narrow bodies.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

S75752

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:30 am

Quoting adamblang (Reply 6):
WiFi + WiFi streaming + power, WiFi + DirecTV + power, or WiFi + on demand entertainment + power.

That's true, but the question becomes that of Power throughout or Y+ only. I get the gut feeling that they're going to stick with Y+ Only for the 753, 738, and 737, if anyone has heard otherwise though I really do hope I'm wrong.
For the 320 series, it sounds very sadly the same case based on what I've read.
That's such a shame because the 739ER made it seem so promising for a while there, yet as I said, the Y+ only craft are the ones actually used on the painful Transcons and Hawaii trips.
I guess it's better than nothing though, seems to bring them about the same as DL or AA with regards to domestic power. But sad that it's a wasted opportunity to push ahead.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 7):
You even have to pay to see the moving flight map!!!

I didn't even know it had the moving map at all, which in my personal opinion is the most important feature of any IFE or Wifi.

I'd love to know that too!

They should just streamline the WHOLE fleet and put the widebody AVOD on the narrow bodies.

Would be lovely but I fear it might be more costly and weighty than Wifistream + Full power.

strfyr51

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:42 am

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 2):
I wouldn't say its not a high cost item. Given that even when you change any color part of the covering it has to be re-certified

That's not true, changing seat covers is cosmetic, Only the cleaning cycle has to be certified as there a limited number of cleanings available before the covers are tossed
We used to make Seat covers in house clean and apply flame retardant to them.
The Carpet and seat Materials have to be certified as meeting the TSO Technical Standard order) for aircraft use.
flame retardant properties and toxic fume emissions
. Once the material is certified? we can Have at it!!

strfyr51

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 am

the next big cabin project is to install on board laptop or device power throughout the fleet. I don't work airplanes with Direct TV but
I hear il's not that popular, I've tried it flying to SFO from ORD and it's OK. But just OK.

UA444

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:06 am

That's what I wished they did. I don't like the idea of having to hold a tablet for multiple hours to watch a movie (and I don't own a tablet) and whether right or wrong, DL and AA, their two biggest competitors, are taking delivery of domestic planes with full AVOD, something that UA is not doing. To the average passenger, it puts them at a disadvantage.

S75752

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:37 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 11):
DL and AA, their two biggest competitors, are taking delivery of domestic planes with full AVOD, something that UA is not doing.

UA's retrofits have been very uncaring and half effort, really. Little more than getting them up to a very very basic par, with just Y+ power, and not bothering with AVOD.
DL actually cared, and has gone back and retrofitted many older planes as well.

I don't think AA is retrofitting, unless there's some other news on that.

zhiao
Topic Author

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:36 am

So wait----a poster above said that all planes are to have direct tv. True?

United1

Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 12):

Quoting UA444 (Reply 11):
DL and AA, their two biggest competitors, are taking delivery of domestic planes with full AVOD, something that UA is not doing.

UA's retrofits have been very uncaring and half effort, really. Little more than getting them up to a very very basic par, with just Y+ power, and not bothering with AVOD.
DL actually cared, and has gone back and retrofitted many older planes as well.

Yet somehow when you actually look at numbers UA has more aircraft with inseat video than AA/US and DL do combined and just as a point of order vast majority of DLs fleet is dark and will always be dark.

In terms of power most of Dls aircraft have power in F and Economy Comfort only and AA has power in F with a few seats scattered in Y as well.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

deltaflyertoo

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Quoting UA444 (Reply 5):
DirectTV has always been a humongous rip-off. And I agree that those seat backs are hideously ugly. The Airbus may have had overheads, but they were free and the programming generally was pretty good. And they had Channel 9, which wins over anything.

Amen to that. To add United's audio selection has always been the best around-and going back decades. Such a travesty how all that got ripped out.

N104UA

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Quoting UA444 (Reply 5):
DirectTV has always been a humongous rip-off

I actually agree with you, surprisingly. I know the provider footed the bill for the installation, but UA should've just added 50 cents to a dollar to the ticket price and just say the TV is "free". They'd make a lot more money that way than just a handful of people that actually use it. You even have to pay to see the moving flight map!!!

DTV is a major ripoff, especially when you consider that SFO-DEN costs the same as SFO-EWR/BOS for DTV.

I was recently on DL from DTW-SFO on the new 737900 (6 month old a/c) and loved the AVOD, with free dish network, and the on demand movies were free as well (but I believe that is not normal), I don't understand why UA does not take their lead and follow suit. If it were free then I wouldn't mind watching it on the horrible screens.

Quoting deltaflyertoo (Reply 15):

Amen to that. To add United's audio selection has always been the best around-and going back decades. Such a travesty how all that got ripped out.

sUA still has the audio it is CO that never had audio, and went with the DTV model. The new sCO 737s don't even have audio or TVs.
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

UA444

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Quoting N104UA (Reply 16):
sUA still has the audio it is CO that never had audio, and went with the DTV model. The new sCO 737s don't even have audio or TVs.

The audio channels have been removed on the Airbus and 772 domestic fleet, that includes Channel 9. Another reason I hate this streaming wifi.

Quoting deltaflyertoo (Reply 15):

Yep, they sure did. Channel 9 has existed for decades and was something that set United apart from the rest. They also had for awile NBC on United, which had the NBC shows exclusively on UA and XM radio on United. Yes, on a loop, but better than nothing. The irony in all this is that going into the merger, UA was the only legacy carrier to have video and audio IFE on every single mainline aircraft.

Quoting United1 (Reply 14):
Yet somehow when you actually look at numbers UA has more aircraft with inseat video than AA/US and DL do combined and just as a point of order vast majority of DLs fleet is dark and will always be dark.

In terms of power most of Dls aircraft have power in F and Economy Comfort only and AA has power in F with a few seats scattered in Y as well.

That's because of UA's higher % of widebody aircraft, which are expected to have PTVs. Domestically it's a completely different story, and DL's MD fleet flies typically shorter routes where it is more excusable to not have IFE and the MD-88s never had it to begin with. 16 MD-90s did, but UA had 152 Airbus that had it and it is now gone.

AA and DL are also taking delivery of new 737s with IFE, yet UA is not. The number of in-seat video planes at those airlines is going up.

[Edited 2014-09-21 12:03:41]

[Edited 2014-09-21 12:04:46]

United1

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:32 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 17):
The audio channels have been removed on the Airbus and 772 domestic fleet, that includes Channel 9. Another reason I hate this streaming wifi.

The streaming WiFi system has the capability to stream Audio channels as well as channel 9...just because they don't offer it YET doesn't mean that its gone forever... 
That's because of UA's higher % of widebody aircraft, which are expected to have PTVs. Domestically it's a completely different story, and DL's MD fleet flies typically shorter routes where it is more excusable to not have IFE and the MD-88s never had it to begin with. 16 MD-90s did, but UA had 152 Airbus that had it and it is now gone.

AA and DL are also taking delivery of new 737s with IFE, yet UA is not. The number of in-seat video planes at those airlines is going up

....UA has 225 domestic aircraft (417 or 60% of the fleet if you include the international fleet) with in seat video. DL has around 140 domestic aircraft with in-seat video....AA has 60.

The point is this UA is not simply ripping systems out with no plans to replace them. The streaming WiFi system works very well and UA is very much committed to offering either in seat video or streaming AVOD on 100% of their aircraft.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

S75752

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:32 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 18):
....UA has 225 domestic aircraft (417 or 60% of the fleet if you include the international fleet) with in seat video. DL has around 140 domestic aircraft with in-seat video....AA has 60.

You must be including DTV... Rather, specifically DTV. Not worth comparing to the AVOD systems other carriers have.

United1

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 19):
You must be including DTV... Rather, specifically DTV. Not worth comparing to the AVOD systems other carriers have.

Sure it is...I would rather get 100 channels of TV for $6-$8 for the entire flight than pay for each movie or TV show I want to watch...what is DL up to now $6 a movie?

B737900ER

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 20):

What a way to rain on a perfectly good bash UA parade with all your facts.

United1

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Quoting B737900ER (Reply 21):

What a way to rain on a perfectly good bash UA parade with all your facts.

I know....I'm just awful  

malaysia

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:40 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 9):
I didn't even know it had the moving map at all, which in my personal opinion is the most important feature of any IFE or Wifi.

Its the channel after or before the premium movie channels and the welcome channel UATV something.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

S75752

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:57 am

Sure it is...I would rather get 100 channels of TV for $6-$8 for the entire flight than pay for each movie or TV show I want to watch...what is DL up to now $6 a movie?

At least that 100 channels is commercial free... Right?
$8 for TV that you can't start nor stop nor select (Can only watch one channel at a time, after all!), + extra for movies that you can't start nor stop, or $6 (or however much, varies by carrier maybe) to pick whichever Movie it is you want to watch, that you can start or stop whenever you want.

In the end, I suppose it comes down to personal preference.

Heck, my preference is just give me power in Y (without paying a whole $120 for Y+) so I can load my laptop with films and just watch those. But it doesn't look like they're going to do that.

United1

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:17 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 24):
Heck, my preference is just give me power in Y (without paying a whole $120 for Y+) so I can load my laptop with films and just watch those. But it doesn't look like they're going to do that

Some aircraft do have power in Y (the 739ERs on domestic flights) and $120 is quite high for Y+ access...I doubt if many (if any) domestic segments demand that high of an upgrade fee. You can always charge your laptop at the airport before boarding...UA is installing thousands of power ports at the gates. Otherwise you get what you pay for....

Quoting S75752 (Reply 24):
At least that 100 channels is commercial free... Right?
$8 for TV that you can't start nor stop nor select (Can only watch one channel at a time, after all!), + extra for movies that you can't start nor stop, or $6 (or however much, varies by carrier maybe) to pick whichever Movie it is you want to watch, that you can start or stop whenever you want.

It's TV of course it has commercials....and there is no extra fee to watch the looped movies on DTV flights. Yeah you can start and stop that movie on DL or AA...of course if you want to watch a second movie its another $6

[Edited 2014-09-22 23:17:59]

S75752

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:15 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 25):
You can always charge your laptop at the airport before boarding...UA is installing thousands of power ports at the gates. Otherwise you get what you pay for....

Yes, but a laptop handling Wifi and/or Video is simply not going to last through the 5-7 hour transcons that UA likes putting the 738, 320, and 752 on. *Maybe* I could get a laptop to last 4.5 hours doing that but that requires a bunch of system tweaks that I would not expect most to know about or bother with.

As for getting what we pay for, I'd say no, given that their fares are not lower than competitors who do have better features, nor are they an LCC.

I would argue that by paying for Wifi, and by paying for the streamed entertainment as they plan, that should also be considered 'paying' for usage of power plugs. Keep E+ as paying for being closer to the front and more legroom. I'd argue that for DL and AA too.

Some aircraft do have power in Y (the 739ERs on domestic flights)

I haven't seen many transcons that have 739's on them. I've mostly seen them on short hops, usually around 2-3 hours, that a laptop can easily last through with Wifi and Video going.
Obviously doesn't help that the 739ER is vastly outnumbered in the fleet.

It's TV of course it has commercials...

Oh dear. I really hope that's sarcasm.

and there is no extra fee to watch the looped movies on DTV flights.

Okay so... Is it you pay once to access all movies, you pay once to access a specific movie, or Movies are just included in the base price already?

United1

Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 26):
and there is no extra fee to watch the looped movies on DTV flights.

Okay so... Is it you pay once to access all movies, you pay once to access a specific movie, or Movies are just included in the base price already?

Movies are included in the base price....

Some aircraft do have power in Y (the 739ERs on domestic flights)

I haven't seen many transcons that have 739's on them. I've mostly seen them on short hops, usually around 2-3 hours, that a laptop can easily last through with Wifi and Video going.
Obviously doesn't help that the 739ER is vastly outnumbered in the fleet.

Depends on the route but as an example EWR-SFO has 15 flights a day of which 7 are operated by the 739ERs....there are also 100 739ERs in the fleet so the type may not be as vastly outnumbered (1 out of every 7 aircraft) as you think.

I would argue that by paying for Wifi, and by paying for the streamed entertainment as they plan, that should also be considered 'paying' for usage of power plugs. Keep E+ as paying for being closer to the front and more legroom. I'd argue that for DL and AA too.

I don't necessarily disagree that the name of the game these days is monetize everything as fees are what are driving the profits, not the ticket prices. I will caution you that UA has said nothing about charging for streaming video on flights...I think its probable at some point that they might but UA hasn't said anything about doing it. At this point the system remains free to Windows and iOS users with Android coming soon.

eaglepower83

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:17 pm

You even have to pay to see the moving flight map!!!

Yeah I thought that was strange when I flew to Vegas a few weeks ago on a 738.
"$#%%[email protected]$ where is the map?"
I didn't know it was behind a pay wall.
LAME.

Yep, they sure did. Channel 9 has existed for decades and was something that set United apart from the rest. They also had for awile NBC on United, which had the NBC shows exclusively on UA and XM radio on United. Yes, on a loop, but better than nothing. The irony in all this is that going into the merger, UA was the only legacy carrier to have video and audio IFE on every single mainline aircraft.

Yes indeed. I miss those days.
It's one of the reasons I changed to UA back in 2006.
Every mainline flight had music, even an interesting "CNBC-esque" business channel.
Channel 9! (it was almost always on....some pilots would do schticks)
Be it CRTs or flip down panels, every flight had some kind of video.
Many of the NBC shows and movies were interesting. Free headphones in every seat if I forgot my own.
UA was GREAT! (relatively speaking) (and we still got soy nut mix pouches back then, which were really good)

Frankly they kinda suck now, really.
They are operationally stabilizing, but the experience is still pretty bland.
At least AA still has screens and music on many of their flights. I like the articulating seats they have.
Half the time they don't charge me for gin 
And Delta (the rare times they go where I want to go) gives you some decent cookies and blankets in coach.

airplan727

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:06 pm

UA has not said they plan on charging for the streaming in flight entertainment. They have stated multiple times that there will be free personal device entertainment coming to their WiFi enabled aircraft without DirecTV. WiFi for teh sake of internet usage is charged for though.

I was able to use it on a flight from DEN-LAX and it worked very well. I was disappointed that the flight crew did not announce that it was going to be available on that aircraft. I think that is a huge piece that needs to be addressed. The flight crew should be advising the passengers about what is available on each flight. In short the streaming works extremely well. You just really need to not start a movie until after the flight passes 10,000 ft. As I started a movie during taxi and it got interrupted a couple of times until regular cabin service started.

I also had a 738 with the DTV from LAX-ITO and back. The DTV and WiFi doesn't work outside the continental US which is a bummer, but the looping movies do work. It reminds of the original personal video that were on the UA777s where you had a few movies to choose from looped. Although those were free. My wife and I purchased the movies on 1 DTV seat and shared a headset. It worked pretty well and were able to watch 3 movies on the flight. It was well worth the $8. Again I was disappointed the crew did not advise passengers that WiFi and live TV would not be available, but looping movies would be.

I thought I had read somewhere on anet that CO had been very disappointed with DTV and had planned on removing all the devices from the aircraft once the contract had run out.

United1

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Quoting airplan727 (Reply 29):
I thought I had read somewhere on anet that CO had been very disappointed with DTV and had planned on removing all the devices from the aircraft once the contract had run out.

That's been the story on anet for years however no one has every been able to clarify how long the contract runs. It's possible that the contract is tied to the life of a specific air-frame....ie that's why the 757-324s have DTV and the 757-33Ns don't. One was a domestic people mover and the other was used on ETOPS flights to Hawaii (even though all of them are now ETOPS equipped.)

boilerla

Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Yes, but a laptop handling Wifi and/or Video is simply not going to last through the 5-7 hour transcons that UA likes putting the 738, 320, and 752 on. *Maybe* I could get a laptop to last 4.5 hours doing that but that requires a bunch of system tweaks that I would not expect most to know about or bother with.

Jeez, what laptop do you have? I have a 4 year old MacBook Pro that can easily last the longest transcon anyone flies, BOS-SFO. Let's face it, the flight is basically 5.5 hours once you take out taxi, takeoff, climb & descent, when you cannot use your laptop. I usually have 20% juice left by the time we land. And any decent tablet can last 2x that transcon.

International flights are different, but all new widebodies are getting power throughout. And comparatively UA is a head of the game there; having flown on multiple carriers in both Y and J, the 772 and 788 fleet is very nice in that regard.

toobz

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 am

DL has quite a few free tv channels that you can watch for free. Including the map and a trivia game you can play against other PAX. I've never needed to swipe my card.

eaglepower83

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Quoting toobz (Reply 32):

The one time I flew Delta, I have to say, the trivia game was pretty fun. Especially if you have friends on board.

stxbohn

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Oh you've started at topic on my biggest qualm with United! Domestic flights are like a box of chocolate - you never know what you're gonna get...

Well, except for the well informed upon flight booking, the actual aircraft lottery that happens closer to departure time, and the work our buddies like CALPSAFltSkeds do to keep the fleet list site updated with what's on one B739 vs. another B739 (https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/home for those who are looking).

I'm torn on the following subjects:

Channel 9 - love it, was the saving grace of the very dated PMUA aircraft, it's been ripped out of all of the A319 and A320s I've been on recently and the 752s are leaving the fleet.

Seats - the new slimline seats are horrible, somehow the blue cover is better than the grey even though above it's mentioned as the same seat. 1/2" more head room means knee angle is 1/2" more uncomfortable for me. I don't think the old Continental seats are that bad, definitely better than the slimlines. The old UA seats are acceptable but again, dated. Worst part of the United's seats is actually the leg room in regular economy. 30" pitch, although standard, is just rough for much more than an hour.

DirectTV - consistent, I'll pay for the looping movies most of the time and ability to switch to live tv. I like the comment above for add $1 to each ticket and include it for free. I would agree that the price point is too high and subscribership too low to justify it.

WiFi - I can live 3 hrs without the internet. Other business travelers I'm sure can foot the bill for it.

Power - if you're putting new interiors in, put the power in with it. Why they "refreshed" the A320s and didn't put power in is beyond me. Again, another nice thing with most of the PMCO planes that have it in at least E+.

Streaming WiFi - the positive offset for the slimline seats for the A319s and A320s where it's been turned on. As long as it's free, I have my ipad... I suspect a $ charge is coming.

AVOD - the best way to catch up on movies. The PMCO fleet has huge libraries, the retrofitted PMUA fleet has less but still my favorite inflight entertainment.

Very mixed bag, I comment on it every survey they send me asking "how was your flight?" due to the inconsistency of the product.

S75752

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:17 am

Quoting airplan727 (Reply 29):
UA has not said they plan on charging for the streaming in flight entertainment. They have stated multiple times that there will be free personal device entertainment coming to their WiFi enabled aircraft without DirecTV. WiFi for teh sake of internet usage is charged for though.

It seemed as though it was implied that paying for entertainment would begin at some point, but I don't have the energy to find where at the moment. I hope I'm wrong.

Quoting boilerla (Reply 31):
Jeez, what laptop do you have?

I have a Macbook Pro 2012. Tricks I try involve staying in OS X (Windows sticks with dedicated graphics), Forcing the Integrated graphics to stay active, making sure nothing in the background does anything, and using a command to limit CPU usage of a browser and chat client. That's about all that can be done.

If a laptop or tablet is just sitting idle, *maybe* watching a video from the hard drive, yeah it'll last that Transcon. If it's connected to wifi, streaming a video while doing other things with the wifi, I don't think it will, unless it's one of those laptops designed with an insane amount of battery power. If you' were doing all that above, then I really would like to know how you got a 2012 MBP to last that whole flight.

I'll do a test of this later...

RyanairGuru

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:54 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 35):
I have a Macbook Pro 2012. Tricks I try involve

Out of interest, have you tried turning the keyboard backlight to zero and the screen brightness right down? I don't want to insult your intelligence, but those two save a MASSIVE amount of battery. Just by turning the lights down I can double the battery life on my 2012 Pro to 7+ hours. I certainly wouldn't know how to do any of the other stuff you mentioned!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

S75752

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 27):
Depends on the route but as an example EWR-SFO has 15 flights a day of which 7 are operated by the 739ERs....there are also 100 739ERs in the fleet so the type may not be as vastly outnumbered (1 out of every 7 aircraft) as you think.

I did quite a few random date searches in many months, near and far;
739's on EWR-SFO seem extremely variable, maybe even seasonal, some days particularly in these winter months I saw very many flights with it, but for next year there were very few flights with the 739. SFO-EWR showed a somewhat similar pattern in the coming months though fewer 739s. Likewise, there are barely any 739's showing for next year.

IAD was a similarly mixed bag, up to 2 or 3 739's on very few days, but generally dominated completely by 738 752 or 320. Even fewer next year. In the coming months though, I did see a rare couple of 763, 772, or 764(!!!) on some days, also nonexistant on domestic routes next year as far as I could tell.

Other transcons from SFO sometimes see 739's in the coming months, but are also dominated by the 752's, 320's, and 738's, with the 739's presence diminishing just about completely next year.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 36):

Yeah, generally I keep the keyboard light off and turn the brightness of the display down as well.

I just did a test today, letting my Macbook Pro charge up fully, then sit there playing continuously through a youtube playlist, with a chat client open, connected via wifi, and forced to stay with Integrated graphics. Brightness was reduced, and no other major apps were open besides browser and chat client. It lasted exactly 4 hours like that, from full charge to battery level alert... And that was without any interaction from me (And there aren't any tasks for it to perform while idle). If someone is browsing the web, running other stuff while on the wifi too, then it will be even lower.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos