Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Strong Summer Demand Cuts Losses For Gulf Air

Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:40 am

A welcome result from GF. Not long ago we were discussing what the future would hold. It seems they are turning it around and although early days the signs are indeed positive.

Strong summer demand cuts losses for Gulf Air

MANAMA: Strong summer demand has propelled Gulf Air realise an almost break-even situation with operating losses of only BD42,000 and a bottom line of BD200,000 net loss.

The national carrier of Bahrain released its August results which, following record summer travel demand, reflect a major turnaround month for the airline.

Alongside the dramatically enhanced financial results for the month of August, the carrier recorded a higher seat factor while also delivering 25 per cent higher revenue than last year.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=386256

bjorn14

RE: Strong Summer Demand Cuts Losses For Gulf Air

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Could the ME4 be far behind?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

directorguy

Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:38 pm

While this is great news for GF, they need to sustain this momentum and deliver large annual profits that can be re-invested in the airline. Perhaps then, and only then, can they even consider raising the kind of capital to finance a fleet expansion that can even begin to compare with the ME3 fleets. The Government of Bahrain would also need to think of expanding the current civil aviation facilities on the island to build a hub that can think of competing.
This is medium to long-term planning, and the market could be a very different place then, and the ME3 will have matured as significant players in the market. GF will still be small. To use a European analogy, could Aer Lingus join the ranks of BA/AF-KL/LH?

icarus75

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Isn't it also because they do not fly WB to european cities (FRA / CDG...)?
Flying is amazing!

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:02 pm

They seem to want to build a small base at KWI too. KWI-LCA just announced.

Following its recent commencement of direct services between Kuwait City and Istanbul, Gulf Air, the national carrier of the Kingdom of Bahrain, has announced the upcoming launch of twice weekly services between Kuwait City and the Cypriot city of Larnaca in response to increased demand from the State of Kuwait.

The airline will offer direct, twice weekly connections between Kuwait and Cyprus starting from 26 October. The new service will operate on Wednesdays and Sundays departing Kuwait at 11:00 local time with return flights departing Larnaca at 14:05 local time. Bahrain-based passengers will have the choice of thrice weekly Bahrain-Larnaca operations and convenient six daily flights between Kuwait and Bahrain providing connections to the airline’s newest Kuwait-Larnaca service.

http://www.gulfair.com/English/aboutgulfair/Pages/News.aspx?newsno=731

Alias1024

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 2):
GF will still be small. To use a European analogy, could Aer Lingus join the ranks of BA/AF-KL/LH?

I agree that they need to turn a profit, but I'm not sure they need to try to challenge the ME3. To use your analogy, Aer Lingus has focused on a completely different strategy than LH, BA, or AF/KL. What GF needs to do is find a niche where they can succeed. Perhaps that is nothing more than focusing on serving the needs of Bahrain and offering some connections on those flights. Maybe it means opening smaller focus cities where they see a need for point to point service not being met. They don't have to try to be Emirates to be successful.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

thomasphoto60

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm

I have always had an interest in this carrier. Would love to see GF make a comeback (frankly, they have the best looking liveries of any Gulf carrier) and give the ME3 a run for their money.
"Show me the Braniffs"

sierra3tango

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:41 pm

Much As I wish GF well, think Oman Air has a better chance of establishing itself on a firm footing long term
due its larger home market and more in bound tourism

GF is a mere shadow of itself in its heyday, it'll take a decade (minimum) to claw its way back to something
like former glory

777way

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:39 am

Why have GF droped the ERJ fleet?

atal17

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:54 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 8):

It was better to have a single Airbus fleet rather than diversifying into different subfleets. For the same reason, they ditched the A319s as well.

And this is where I believe that MH, must take this path. Shrink and organically grow. It's gonna be painful, it's going to lose recognition, but it allows the airline to take stock and focus on their home market.

They should be returning to a couple of markets quite soon, like CMB/KTM/DAC and adding new routes within India and Pakistan.

lightsaber

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:10 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 1):
Could the ME4 be far behind?

We already have TK.  

Seriously, GF must first find their niche to compete with the ME3 and Air Arabia. Do they have a full time CEO yet, or just an 'acting CEO?'

Quoting atal17 (Reply 9):
t was better to have a single Airbus fleet rather than diversifying into different subfleets. For the same reason, they ditched the A319s as well.

And this is where I believe that MH, must take this path. Shrink and organically grow. It's gonna be painful, it's going to lose recognition, but it allows the airline to take stock and focus on their home market.

The focus on Bahrain was a start.
Then the reduction to all Airbus twins (soon to be complicated with the C-series and 787).
Next will be growing regional service to help feed long haul.

I doubt they will become the ME4, but they should be able to grow. It will all be about using connections to grow. Does Bahrain have the facilities (e.g., terminals)? That I just don't know.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

sierra3tango

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 10):
I doubt they will become the ME4, but they should be able to grow. It will all be about using connections to grow. Does Bahrain have the facilities (e.g., terminals)? That I just don't know.

BAH is not a bad airport but limited in size when compared with DXB/AUH/DOH and even the new MCT airports

Only 8 jet ways and although there has been a plan to extend the terminal for some years, it ain't happened yet

atal17

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Quoting sierra3tango (Reply 11):

The Bahraini goverment is mostly likely to approve an expansion when pax numbers at BAH grow.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 10):
Seriously, GF must first find their niche to compete with the ME3 and Air Arabia. Do they have a full time CEO yet, or just an 'acting CEO?'

Don't forget flydubai. That airline is on fire  

No, GF still has an acting CEO. Apparently, no one wants to take the top job, not even the 'acting' CEO himself.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos