Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

seabosdca

RE: WN Can It Keep To Single Type Aircraft

Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Quoting planemaker (Reply 48):
What is a "few years"?

I'd say the rest of this decade. I'm not bullish on service to random Caribbean and Central American airports.

737tdi

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:17 am

Hey, If we keep the 737 for the next 13 years I will be happy. I will retire and be happy. I have worked on a ton of different aircraft and I will be happy to end my career with the 737 CL, NG and Max. I don' need a 767 or 787 stuck in there. I would love to learn a 787 but I am just getting to old to work on them. And they are too tall. I am a short guy, I hate working above my head. LOL.

N1120A

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 28):
The 737-900ER is going to do 90% of what a 757 would do and fit at the gate with an off the shelf product with more fuel efficient engines.
Quoting okie (Reply 28):
215 passengers single class.
Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 45):

I'm very skeptical of fifty new Southwest cities within five years. 'Could reach' isn't 'confidently commercially viable'. Ninety-six? I would love to see your list and the PDEWs from prospective WN gateways. (Do the work and sell it to WN!)

No thanks, I have a real job.

All you have to do is add up the Big 4 markets in Hawaii, the pre-clearance markets in Canada (maybe throw out YWG or YHZ, but maybe not), 7-8 Caribbean markets, the Central American capitals plus Liberia and maybe Roatan, all the Mexican resort and business markets, and you are already at a minimum of 30.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Manta

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 17):
They would have to completely change the way they do business. Open boarding on a 777? Wide body gates? Longer turn times? Ground support for larger frames? Flight crew training, etc.

Oh heck, I just want to watch them fly the 777 in / out of MDW.

airplaneboy

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:08 pm

Again, Southwest's CEO has stated that there are ~50 *cities* (NOT city pairs) that they've identified to fit with their business model using the 737 NG and the 737 MAX. These cities are outisde the continental US/lower 48, so draw your conclusions there about exactly what that means. Regarding a different fleet type, he said they aren't even *looking* at that possibility. Why change something that continues to work?? Adding a different fleet type (particularly wide bodies) costs millions of dollars- not counting the actual acquisition costs of each frame. With 41 consecutive years of profits (a feat unmatched by ANY airline in the whole world), WN is not going to jeopardize that track record just for the status of having wide bodies going to Asia and Europe. Once these existing opportunities are fulfilled, then and ONLY then is it feasible for WN to explore aircraft that can help them grow elsewhere.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos