Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TC957
Topic Author

Another UK Airport May Close - BLK

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 pm

After the closure of Plymouth, Filton and Manston, Blackpool's days may be numbered.
http://www.blackpoolinternational.co...ews/blackpool-airport-announcement

Andy33

RE: Another UK Airport May Close - BLK

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:15 pm

How long can Durham Tees Valley keep going, too?

LondonCity

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:22 pm

It seems even its £10 development fee (which passengers must pay) may not save Blackpool.

http://www.blackpoolinternational.com/airport/airport-information/adf

acelanzarote

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Maybe the 10fee puts passingers/airlines off....plus I guess MAN/LPL are not that far away and offer so much more choice,... so just how much market can BLK appeal to? Shame to see yet another airport close. Presume the GA/Bizjets don´t pay towards the bills enough.
Having said that the Jet2 flight Blackpool-Lanzarote seems to have done ok so who knows...
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

boysteve

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Quoting andy33 (Reply 1):
How long can Durham Tees Valley keep going, too?

Well yes exactly, I would have thought that Blackpool was safer than Durham Tees Valley, shows how much I know! BLK has seen a big drop in PAX numbers but that followed a huge increase. The airport is still more than 3 times busier than at the start of the century. Here are some pax figures from Wiki!

MME 2001 734K
MME 2006 918K
MME 2013 161K

BLK 2001 82K
BLK 2006 553K
BLK 2013 263K

Boeing74741R

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Quoting acelanzarote (Reply 3):

The £10 fee has certainly put me off, especially due to to lack of real development of the airport since it was introduced. That combined with a poor experience about 3 years ago when the presence of 2 737s worth of passengers at once puts a strain on the facilities (e.g crowds, poor condition of the car park and also trying to order a breakfast from the cafe and was told "Sorry, we're too busy. We can only offer bacon or sausage rolls instead") has meant that I only consider flights from LPL or MAN now. In many instances, it's worked out cheaper to fly from LPL or MAN anyway and there's no flights from BLK that isn't available from LPL or MAN.

It will be a shame to see BLK close if it comes to that, though from my experiences using BLK they haven't helped themselves IMO and neither is it an attractive proposition to fly from there besides the very short walks and quick baggage unloading/reclaim. I also don't think instances like this gives the airport a good impression: http://www.jet2.com/News/Jet2_com_Here_To_Stay_in_Blackpool/

goosebayguy

Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Panshanger EGLG closed recently too. Though this one is due to a property development.

CometOrbit

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:28 am

I see the majority owner (95%) of the BLK operation is construction firm Balfour Beatty.
They are having a tough time this year with a string of profit warnings, management departures and sell-offs.
Looks like BLK is collateral damage.

BD338

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:41 am

Quoting CometOrbit (Reply 7):
see the majority owner (95%) of the BLK operation is construction firm Balfour Beatty.

I thought I read somewhere that BB had sold their interest in BLK a couple or three weeks ago? Regardless, another regional airport at risk. MME must be at risk and I don't hold out much long term hope for Robin Hood or Prestwick.

Andy33

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:20 am

And announced this week that CBG (Cambridge) has once again lost its scheduled flights.

IndianicWorld

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:50 am

Is there really a need for so many airports in the first place?

Yes, its great to have a "local"airport, but when you consider the size of the UK, many markets have competition not too far away anyway.

This is hardly a surprise in a world where costs just seem to rise.

gilesdavies

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 am

Quoting andy33 (Reply 9):
And announced this week that CBG (Cambridge) has once again lost its scheduled flights.

Even though it is disappointing for Cambridge to loose CityJet, I don't think it will be a major issue for the airport...

CBG is owned by Marshall Aerospace, and the airport is used for MRT and executive jets primarily. The passenger services is a nice bonus on the side.

The problem is their location, while Cambridge and the surrounding area is very affluent with a lot of Science, Medical and Technology business, Stansted is only 25 miles down the M11 and offers flights throughout Europe and far lower prices than CityJet can charge. Also you was limited to only Dublin and Amsterdam.

scouseflyer

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:46 am

There's a strange dichotomy in UK aviation at the moment - regional airports going down the pan with the big boys bursting at the seams needing to expand.

BLK going will be a shame though for the North West as it will leave a large gap in the aviation service between LPL and MAN to the south, Leeds / Brad to the East and Carlisle / Glasgow to the North.

skipness1E

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:32 am

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 4):
MME 2001 734K
MME 2006 918K
MME 2013 161K

BLK 2001 82K
BLK 2006 553K
BLK 2013 263K

Unsustainable bubble.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 10):
Is there really a need for so many airports in the first place?

Dear God no.

acelanzarote

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:53 am

Quoting scouseflyer (Reply 12):
BLK going will be a shame though for the North West as it will leave a large gap in the aviation service between LPL and MAN to the south, Leeds / Brad to the East and Carlisle / Glasgow to the North.

Was at Carlisle about a month ago, looked on its last legs. I know Stobart wanted to do something with it, but even so, NCL is not that far away.
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

BlueShamu330s

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Much of my early flying training involved Blackpool; up the low level corridor, left heading 320, watch out for Woodvale to your left and Warton just to the right, look for the tower. Great times.

The reality for Blackpool though is that it is simply not sustainable with a lone B733 operation, the occasional Dublin or IOM and VFR. I would be surprised if revenue even covers ATC (remember, they have Approach Radar and Aerodrome controllers) and fire cover.

What the country might be able to sustain would be a dedicated training airfield, along the lines of Oxford, but I have doubts even of that as a viable alternative.

Liverpool must be watching with interest. Whilst Jet2 have already stated the routes will revert back to MAN, there will be an inevitable draw back to LPL for passengers who would have previously chosen Blackpool.

Always a shame to see an airfield die, but I shed more tears for Woodford and its historical significance than I ever could do for BPL. Indeed, driving past Woodford yesterday, the diggers and excavators are already on site.  

Rgds
Flying around India

DanTaylor2006

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Contacted Jet2 earlier this evening, since I depart for Turkey from Blackpool next Monday...

In their words, they'd "just been briefed on the airports closure" and my flights have migrated to Manchester. Take from that what you will.

Seems an announcement from Jet2 is expected this evening, unsure about whether the owners will say anything.

Edit: Confirmed by Jet2 and Blackpool Airport.

http://www.jet2.com/status.aspx

Quote:
Blackpool Annoucement

Potential Closure of Blackpool Airport – Transfer of Jet2.com & Jet2holidays Flights to Manchester Airport

There has been considerable uncertainty in recent weeks, over the future of Blackpool Airport and this has already led to the withdrawal of key 3rd party facilities, without notice, that have seriously impacted on the operation of our aircraft from and to Blackpool Airport.
http://www.blackpoolinternational.co...s/blackpool-airport-announcement-0

Quote:
BLACKPOOL AIRPORT ANNOUNCEMENT
We regret to announce that no agreement has been reached to secure the future of operations at Blackpool Airport. The airport operation has been making a loss for a number of years and unfortunately there is no option for the company other than to close.

This is a very sad day for the airport which has a proud aviation history and a loyal, appreciative customer following. We would like to thank all our dedicated staff who have delivered exceptional service to passengers for many years.

The airport will remain open to the public until 15 October 2014 and we will endeavour to maintain operations as normal until this date, after which time commercial flights will cease.

So the airport will close on the 15th October, whilst Jet2 pull out on the 10th October.

[Edited 2014-10-07 11:08:52]

David_itl

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Edited to this:

Jet2 Blackpool latest

To 9th October - flights operate BLK-destination-MAN (arrive 90 mins later than schedule and coach transfer to BLK

10th October to 25th October, all BLK services at MAN (ops 90 mins later than the BLK times)

Post 26th October, the times revert to the BLK times but operate to/from MAN

BLK Closure announcement

[Edited 2014-10-07 11:11:33]

r2rho

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:51 am

...and the UK keeps losing one airport after the other, without any public debate, and once an airport is closed, it's gone forever.
I'm not saying BLK, MSE and all the others are vital airports that must be maintained at all costs, but at least there should be a debate, a study from a commission on its economic effects, whatever. In the UK, building an airport requires decades of planning, permissions, commissions, etc, but closing one down requires just a quickly improvised short-term decision from a real estate developer.

A piece of land will always be worth more as a shopping mall or golf course - airports are capital intensive projects and regional airports are by definition deficitary. But that doesn't mean they should be all closed down, there should be limits.
But all this is unfortunately perfectly in line with the UK's lack of an overall airport strategy (or in fact, any transportation strategy at all).

goosebayguy

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:44 pm

sandyb123

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 8):
Prestwick

I had mentioned PIK in another thread but the entire thread seems to have been deleted?

Prestwick has an outside chance given the freight and military activity. It's also owned by the Scottish Government and agree or disagree, there is a political will to keep it going. Plus it's runway length makes it a good oceanic diversion point.

Quoting r2rho (Reply 18):
A piece of land will always be worth more as a shopping mall or golf course
Quoting CometOrbit (Reply 7):
I see the majority owner (95%) of the BLK operation is construction firm Balfour Beatty.

If this was a more prosperous area of the Uk then I would immediately say that this was just a step towards housing on the land. But I am not so sure given the deprivation in Blackpool and as a result the weak demand for the land values.

Was the business actually 'for sale' and if so do we know for how much?

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

David_itl

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 20):
Was the business actually 'for sale' and if so do we know for how much?
BBC link saying Balfour Beatty wanting out of operating airports

And in the meantime, Blackpool Council finds £14m to spend on a 4 star hotel. Interesting to note that Balfour Beatty paid exactly that amount for a 95% stake in the airport in 2008

vfw614

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:15 pm

My understanding is that there are efforts to keep the airport operational for the off-shore, GA and Citywing's 19seater business by "downgrading" it (the reason why Citywing is only suspending ops for 4 weeks). Obviously fire cover be reduced, the terminal closed down - but other than that, what would such a downgrade involve to make it commercially feasible?

PlymSpotter

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 22):
My understanding is that there are efforts to keep the airport operational for the off-shore, GA and Citywing's 19seater business by "downgrading" it (the reason why Citywing is only suspending ops for 4 weeks). Obviously fire cover be reduced, the terminal closed down - but other than that, what would such a downgrade involve to make it commercially feasible?

This would definitely help. As an airport operator one of your biggest costs is the RFFS provision, so reducing the category of cover promulgated and the airfield operating hours will significantly decrease overheads. Naturally it also restricts the size of aircraft you can accept, but my suspicion is that the high level of RFFS cover for Jet 2's 737 flights is one of the main loss-makers.

If they drop the cover to RFFS 3 then they can still take the 19 seaters used by Manx2, if they only drop it to RFFS 4 then they can still accept the ATR 42s operated by Stobart Air. Both levels of cover require a single RFFS appliance, plus whatever level of back-up they deem necessary.

In many ways this is indicative of the issue with airports in the UK - it is not that we have too many, but that we have the wrong sized airports in the wrong places, often trying to be the wrong thing. This is aptly demonstrated by other facilities like Newquay and Manston where (thanks to their military pasts) the infrastructure significantly exceeds what is actually required for regular services to be operated.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos