Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airway1
Topic Author

Kuwait Aviation News

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:10 am

Lots of announcements of expansion to Kuwait by a few airlines. Thought it would be good to post them.

W14
AtlasJet will up its flights to KWI from IST to daily from 5 weekly
Cebu Pacific ups flights from 3 weekly to 4 weekly
Air India Express will resume Mangalore flights 3 times a week
Emirates will increase frequency again from 6 dailies to 7 dailies in Dec (They added a daily in Sept)
Air Arabia increasing frequency from 21 weekly flights to 23 weekly
Ethiopian Airlines going back to daily from 4 weekly
Kinda Airlines flying daily from Damascus
Etihad increasing frequency from 33 to 35 weekly flights
Gulf Air announced 2 direct flights a week on KWI to IST and KWI to Larnaca each (They have also announced that they will start flying to Athens, Munich & Paris from Kuwait)

W15
Pegasus Airlines has announced adding a second daily to Kuwait from Istanbul.

I expect a few more announcements soon for expansion of service to Kuwait for S15.

KWI

Kuwait Aviation News

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:07 am

This is great news, especially the Gulf Air and Cebu Pacific News...

Kuwait needs more nonstop-service to more European and East Asian destinations

a few years ago SQ left - after only a year or so of service...but that venture failed because of the stop in AUH (I truly believe - who wants to double connect when people can go one stop via DXB or DOH?) and around the same time TG left after 5 or 6 years...not sure what drove them away as Thailand is a hugely popular destination from KWI

Anyone have anymore news on things in the pipeline?

airway1
Topic Author

Kuwait Aviation News

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:09 am

Quoting KWI (Reply 1):

SQ started the route with zero marketing. They expected people to fly because it was Songapore. Plus in my believe the GSA plays a vital role in getting travel agents to book their pax onto their airline. Look at United in my opinion it had the worst GSA spending nothing on marketing. They concentrate their business on the cargo and forgot the pax. They had a great start but failed to keep it up. Thanks to the military build up United will get some of that business.

As for TG I used to see full flights but I think having Dubai in between was not a good idea. At the time the wasn't that many options to dubai so I expect the dubai route packed the flight.

kaitak

Kuwait Aviation News

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Good to see so many new services.

What is the latest on KU's plan to buy 777-300ERs? I heard reports that the signing was imminent.

Is the plan to acquire A350s and other types affected by the 77W plan, because that represents a huge capacity increase for KU, over what it has at the moment?

Do you see any improvement in the airline's inflight service? It's all very well to be spending billions on new aircraft, but not keeping their aircraft interiors - particularly things like PTVs - in good repair. I see that coming up in several reviews. Staff courtesy has certainly improved, as had punctuality, but it's little things like that which seem to leave it trailing the bigger ME carriers.

airway1
Topic Author

RE: Kuwait Aviation News

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:29 am

I think the order is for 10 350s, 15 320s and 10 777s. The Airbus orders have been approved but the Boeing still pending. I think they need the 350 and 777. We lack frequency and plane capacity to a few routes KU flies from JFK, Mumbai, London, Cairo, and Colombo could all use frequency and larger planes. Regionally Dubai is badly served by KU, jeddah could see more frequency and istanbul could restart instead of co sharing with Turkish. London in my opinion needs a second daily and Paris, Frankfurt and Rome more frequency. Also lack of planes means KU can't ramp up for the holidays which opens the door for other airlines to add capacity.

The major issue is the airport which for the eid holiday couldn't handle the extra capacity load. The road infrastructure to the airport was a mess, getting into the airport was a mess, checking in was a mess and passport controls was a disaster. If they don't fix the airport capacity then no use of bringing in new planes.

Zero vision in this country sadly we only think of the short term and ignore the long term. If demand continues as it is we should grow by around a million pax a year at 10% growth with this year hitting the 10 million mark for an airport designed for 5 million. We have been able to stretch it thanks to the 24 hour operation but now the early morning schedule looks as if it's the day time schedule. 150 take offs for an airport with 12 gates plus 4 bus gates. If Gulf continues adding direct flights I would expect the ME3 to watch and react. As I said before my sources tell me Emirates is not happy with the facility especially that a few times their a380 had to use the bus service for 490 pax to offload and another 490 to board.

KU747

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:17 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 3):
Do you see any improvement in the airline's inflight service? It's all very well to be spending billions on new aircraft, but not keeping their aircraft interiors - particularly things like PTVs - in good repair. I see that coming up in several reviews. Staff courtesy has certainly improved, as had punctuality, but it's little things like that which seem to leave it trailing the bigger ME carriers.

I don't think there will be any improvement in KU at this stage with the old and tiered fleet which was left with no updates since the fleet was purchased. it looks like an old man with a life supporting machine ....

I believe that it needs a whole new management, new vision, a well planned strategy, no outside interference, new fleet and off course a new big airport.

Quoting airway1 (Reply 2):
As for TG I used to see full flights but I think having Dubai in between was not a good idea. At the time the wasn't that many options to dubai so I expect the dubai route packed the flight.

As I remember, TG changed the flight to a non-stop flight to BKK and they used A346 but unfortunately it was empty most of the time.
707,727,73all,741,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,77all,300,310,319,320,321,332,333,343,346, L10,L15,DC10,MD11,SSC,VC10

behramjee

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 am

Quoting KU747 (Reply 5):
As I remember, TG changed the flight to a non-stop flight to BKK and they used A346 but unfortunately it was empty most of the time.

over the past 1 year the KWI-BKK market size demand was 120,000 passengers approximately and this has been the consistent trend for the past 3 years.

For TG to be un-able to make such a market segment go with at least 65% SF consistently with O&D traffic + onward transfer traffic to MNL, China, HKG, KUL, SIN, domestic Thailand, Japan and ICN then there is something seriously wrong with how TG managed the sales of this route ! Yes using the in-efficient A346 too would not help matters in terms of cost.

airway1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:20 am

Kuwait market to Asia is big enough to have direct service but airlines need to invest the time to get the word out that they fly direct. A group of friends booked to Phillipines on Etihad not knowing that Cebu flies to Kuwait. They could have saved 40%. Agents here play a vital role in the success of any airline. Word of mouth is another marketing gimmick that can be used. Cathay Pacific for example had special rates to LAX this summer on business class from Dubai and I got 20 ppl booking via Homg Kong.

Armodeen

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:27 pm

I'm really struggling to see what the justification is for KU buying 77Ws (apart from political, of course). It strikes me that a couple of years down the line they will simply be another Garuda etc saying the 77W is too big for them after all.

airway1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:25 pm

Well they could offer 2 dailies to Cairo, London, and Mumbai. Daily to JFK, Bangkok, Jeddah, and Dubai. Add capacity to Paris and new routes in Europe and US? I would have preferred 320s/737s to offer more new destinations and frequency. Only time will tell what they will do with large aircrafts. I am not even sure the airport can handle 10 777 and 10 350s.

atal17

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:57 am

Quoting Armodeen (Reply 8):

One word. Ego.

The wonders of oil money.

atal17

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:59 am

Also, while this isn't expansion or anything, 9W will swap COK-AUH-KWI for MAA-AUH-KWI effective October 26.

777way

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Quoting atal17 (Reply 10):

Shouldnt the ego translate to more? with all that wealth and seeing the example set by EK, EY and QR one would expect that.

airway1
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:02 pm

We will never mimic EK, EY or QR. kuwait needs a new airport just to handle the natural growth and demand of Kuwait. By the time the new planes arrive KWI should be handling 13 to 14 million pax. The planes should be able to assist in expanding seat capacity from kuwait and hopefully prices. I now book via dubai for great deals with flyD or Jazeera providing the link to Dubai.

777way

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:18 pm

How about Oman air then? and I didnt even mean KU should mimic anyone just that look how those brands have come up because of the the vision and plan they have.

airway1
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:13 pm

There is no vision when it comes to KU. You have EK, EY and QR then oman air, FlyD, flynas and air Arabia doing a great job growing regional and connect to Asia, Africa and Europe. Then it's the rest Gulf, Saudi and KU lost and confused. Jazeera lost its ways since it decided to lease up its older planes but they might surprise.

Spiderguy252

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:55 pm

KU has had this Boeing thing going on for a long time. Even during their last major purchase during the early-90s they topped up an order for 15 Airbus jets with 2 Boeing 777-200 planes (possibly converted from a pending 747 order).

Helps them maintain a relationship with the US in aviation circles and all that. They've now been a Boeing customer for over 40 years therefore, going back to the 707s.

Hope some new planes come in, whatever they are. I'm one of the few who's flown every single KU aircraft and to call them dilapidated is an understatement.
Vahroone

airway1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:18 am

Quoting atal17 (Reply 11):

Why the change from Kochi to Chennai? Anyone know why? I just looked at numbers at Kochi has more pax and cargo business then Chennai.

atal17

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:37 am

Quoting airway1 (Reply 17):

That's why I said it isn't a big thing because Jet will still offer Kochi - Kuwait via Abu Dhabi. It's just that the plane doing Kochi - Abu Dhabi will terminate at Abu Dhabi, while the Chennai - Abu Dhabi aircraft will continue on to Kuwait.

About Kochi not being able to work, this routing was Jet's 3rd attempt at Kochi - Kuwait. Even IX gave up on Kochi - Kuwait and instead routes all such pax via Kozhikode.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos