av8orwalk
Topic Author

WN Selects FLL As Second International Hub

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:15 pm

http://tbo.com/news/southwest-airlin...ects-fort_-lauderdale-hub-20131212

Let the route speculation begin!

Cheers,
Drew MCO
The safest place to be in an airplane crash is on the ground.

MAH4546

RE: WN Selects FLL As Second International Hub

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:18 pm

This was announced almost a year ago. Nothing new.
a.

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:24 pm

And they still don't stand a chance up against B6 and NK. Bless their heart (it's on the belly!). 
E pur si muove -Galileo

lpdal

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:26 pm

I thought this had been known for awhile as well. Reading over the various long WN threads, plenty of people mentioned international destinations via FLL.

I am always surprised at WN's efficiency at FLL, and how they manage to run a "Hub" out of the tiny Concourse B, T1. Maybe when CC A is finished (or started.......), they'll use that as well.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Abeam79

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:42 pm

Too little and too late for WN IMHO for Intl out of FLL. They may do OK out of FLL, but B6 brand is much more favorable and their costs are quite lower than WN. WN has its work cut out for them.

tom11

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Once WN works out the wrinkles with international travel, they should be able to compete with B6. They offer a good product -- and many people are loyal WN fliers that only fly other airlines when they have no choice (ie international flights). In addition to FLL - Caribbean/Latin America, I think WN may have some success with FLL - YYZ or YUL, despite competition from AC, they could probably make it work.

lpdal

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 4):

B6 faces the same problem over in their own concourse. A focus city stretched to the limit regularly because the current facilities were built during a different era. You'll regularly see all gate-side benches full during the peak season.

Alas this is not the airlines' fault, it is Broward County. The New Times published an extensive expose of political corruption regarding the FLL airport, and how construction was supposedly progressing at a snail's pace intentionally. They also described and provided evidence that the new runway and the terminal refreshments could have been completed a lot faster, but county officials claim otherwise.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

airliner371

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Keep in mind, Terminal 1 is getting a makeover and WN is building a 5 gate international terminal off of Terminal 1. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...rt-southwest-airlines-new-terminal

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 2):
And they still don't stand a chance up against B6 and NK.
NK is in a completely different category from WN. And B6 shouldn't be a problem. They operate SJU-FLL with no problem competing. Floridians love WN and will flock to WN when it starts.

Quoting Tom11 (Reply 5):
Once WN works out the wrinkles with international travel,

And what problems would that be? Because from EVERYONE I talk to, I hear that the international implementation has been a HUGE success.

[Edited 2014-10-02 15:17:07]

lpdal

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 7):
Keep in mind, Terminal 1 is getting a makeover and WN is building a 5 gate international terminal off of Terminal 1. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...minal

Terminal 1 doesn't need a makeover at all, it's the most modern terminal of the four at FLL. This demonstrates our counties' commissioners' thought process, let's update T1 (renovation opened in April 2001), but ignore the original 1980's constructed T2, T3, and T4. At this point though, I'm not holding my breath. Considering how long it took them to build a single runway, and how long the new terminal renovations have been supposedly going on, I'll be looking forward to using the new terminal facilities in 2045.

-LPDAL

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:22 pm

NK is in a completely different category from WN. And B6 shouldn't be a problem. They operate SJU-FLL with no problem competing. Floridians love WN and will flock to WN when it starts.

FLLSJU is a disaster for WN. NK runs an 88% LF, B6 81% and WN 64%, and WN is the only one not getting much in the way of bag fees.
E pur si muove -Galileo

MAH4546

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 pm

No, South Floridians don't love WN, they love jetBlue. Hence, FLL hasn't been a major growth point for WN for over a decade and PBI is just a token presence.

Also, it's performance on FLLSJU is just epicly bad.
a.

commavia

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 pm

And B6 shouldn't be a problem.

If I were Southwest, I wouldn't be quite so certain. I certainly agree that - in general - Southwest is often a very strong competitor. However, JetBlue has quite an attractive product offering - at least for now - and an extremely strong franchise in FLL, in particular to/from the Caribbean and Latin America.

Abeam79

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 10):

I think my answer this is already been said.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 9):
FLLSJU is a disaster for WN. NK runs an 88% LF, B6 81% and WN 64%, and WN is the only one not getting much in the way of bag fees.

No, South Floridians don't love WN, they love jetBlue. Hence, FLL hasn't been a major growth point for WN for over a decade and PBI is just a token presence.

Like I said, WN is doing this cause they pretty much are done growing anywhere else friction free. The days of growth via path of least resistance at WN are over. B6 product is popular and people in Florida love what they offer, and a huge majority of B6 inflight work force are Latinos and west Indian that know the passengers and speak the language. The WN FA from Albuquerque/Phoenix/Dallas will not be so engaging. Hence why B6 is the choice airline in that area.

lpdal

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:08 am

I wonder how WN would do at MIA? Or expanding upon the current service at PBI.

For me, the main off-putting factor is the lack of a premium cabin.

-LPDAL

Abeam79

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:21 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 14):

I forgot to mention that. I've heard that B6 is looking into expanding "mint" for medium and long haul international markets eventually. This will be a big advantage B6 will have and I'm sure with the current sucess of transcon mint, these international routes will be added in due time.

tom11

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:59 am

What makes you sure they don't love WN? Living in Florida, I can tell you that many of us love to fly WN. It's just that WN has never offered an international product before, once they get their foot in the door they should be able to turn a profit on some routes.

MAH4546

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:15 am

Quoting Tom11 (Reply 16):
What makes you sure they don't love WN?

Simple - Southwest's complete inability go gain major traction in FLL and PBI over competitors.

And I said South Floridians, not Floridians.
a.

INFINITI329

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:08 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 6):
B6 faces the same problem over in their own concourse. A focus city stretched to the limit regularly because the current facilities were built during a different era. You'll regularly see all gate-side benches full during the peak season.

Sounds like LGA's twin sister

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 12):
Like I said, WN is doing this cause they pretty much are done growing anywhere else friction free. The days of growth via path of least resistance at WN are over. B6 product is popular and people in Florida love what they offer, and a huge majority of B6 inflight work force are Latinos and west Indian that know the passengers and speak the language. The WN FA from Albuquerque/Phoenix/Dallas will not be so engaging. Hence why B6 is the choice airline in that area

I couldnt have said it better my self. B6 took over the caribbean from the largest caribbean areas the united states (NYC and South Florida) this one of the reasons why the caribbean is a gold mine for them. They understand the people and type of traffic that thier service attract. WN will have a rouger start to with the caribbean expansion becuase this unchartered terrority for them. They dont understand the culture nor people so it will be a lot harder for them.

MD80Nut

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:13 pm

SW biggest problem is that they are a latecomer to the FLL-Caribbean/Central America market. However, as a regular SW flier, I know SW offers more flights to more cities in the US than JetBlue from FLL. I like JetBlue and try to fly them as often as I can, but I'm more likely to fly SW because of a greater choice of destinations from FLL.

SW is well positioned to use FLL as a hub, but the competition will be very tough. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

jeffh747

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 14):
wonder how WN would do at MIA?

Oh they would get massacred by AA in Miami. While the lower fares are attractive, the costs are significantly higher, and if they tried international travel, that would be corporate suicide given the strong presence of LatAm airlines currently operating in MIA. WN's best bet for international expansion is somehow working out of FLL, or expanding in PBI, or even using TPA for some international...
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

JBAirwaysFan

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Ssshhhh! You said the "H" word! You know WN is in denial about those. No surprises though considering NK is moving to MIA. A lot of room for competition now. B6 and WN will have quite a bit of fun with this.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

MaverickM11

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):
And we Puerto Ricans LOVE to take extra shit with us when we fly; WN's "Bags Fly Free" is costing them a TON of money in this market.

It highlights the insanity of not charging for bags to Latin America. Apparently no one knows about it either because NK charges for everything and has a 20pt lead on load factor 
E pur si muove -Galileo

SWADawg

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Don't be surprised if B6 is swallowed up by WN within the next five years. GK has indicated that WN isn't done acquiring other Airlines.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

lpdal

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:34 pm

I was expecting that. Why go to another beach when you're on the beach already?

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 15):
I forgot to mention that. I've heard that B6 is looking into expanding "mint" for medium and long haul international markets eventually. This will be a big advantage B6 will have and I'm sure with the current sucess of transcon mint, these international routes will be added in due time.

I believe the Mint product is already being utilized on routes that are not transcons. Although it's just a pipe dream, I would love to see a Mint transatlantic service.

And this is why resent WN for merging with FL. FL's business class was awesome, and WN's All-Y "LUVLUVLUV" approach just can't compare.

Quoting SWADawg (Reply 23):

Don't be surprised if B6 is swallowed up by WN within the next five years. GK has indicated that WN isn't done acquiring other Airlines.

NO. If WN acquires B6, stuff will be hitting the fan. Enough with these competition-destroying, fare-rising mergers. >: (

-LPDAL

N757ST

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:40 pm

B6 will have a large brand new international terminal in FLL within the next 3 years, connecting to the current concourse.... Something to consider.

And no, mint has not been announced on any route except JFK-SFO/LAX. I wouldn't be surprised to see a frequency to LAS added.

petteri

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):
And we Puerto Ricans LOVE to take extra shit with us when we fly; WN's "Bags Fly Free" is costing them a TON of money in this market.

This, and just wait until they start in with some of the other baggage heavy international routes. Of course their baggage fees many change by then.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 6):
he New Times published an extensive expose of political corruption regarding the FLL airport, and how construction was supposedly progressing at a snail's pace intentionally. They also described and provided evidence that the new runway and the terminal refreshments could have been completed a lot faster, but county officials claim otherwise.

Do you have a link for this? I'm sure it's interesting reading!
The above comments are my personal comments and in no way should be viewed as the views,policy or statements of JetBlue

Abeam79

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:45 pm

AGAIN! You really keep going back to this! DOT will not allow an airline to swallow competition in less than 5 years with all the recent consolidation.You really think WN is just a airline that gets by just 'Swallowing up" competition? Won't happen, I think you need to realize WN days of no competition are over, and they don't have the prowess to acquire another airline. They will have to deal. And GK hasn't indicated that.
I will just copy what I mentioned in a other post in response to you on this very thing..
------------------
Post from 2 weeks ago: "Let me reel you back in from your obvious WN confirmation bias. I think you brought this myth up a few times to wax romatic thoughts of an airline you wish it to be rather than what it really has become. This will not happen. WN went to a long and hellacious merger with FL in recent history and incurred lots of expenses and headaches along the way. The last thing they want to do is go on a merge again just when things are just beginning to settle with the FL merger. If any airline will pair up and merge with B6 it will most likely be Alaska or maybe even Vx. WN were reluctant even to merge in the first place. And the result, the culture has deteriorated between crews and the way of business they made over the years has them realizing how much its beginning to hurt them from the old days of flying around texas and the west. Airtran crews are bitter and causing headaches and who can blame them when a 737 capt is forced into the right seat and all the crews that enjoyed ATL as a base are being pushed out and the network there is getting pulled down cause they know they can't effectively compete like FL did with DL out of ATL cause they know they are no longer have the lowest casm as the old days or that FL had. The "LUV" is gone and this re-branding was just an attempt to try to boost the little moral thats left."

JBAirwaysFan

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:57 pm

For the 1073526646574324th time, it's not happening.

They will compete in certain markets. It will be fun to watch the bloodbath. I'm putting my money on B6 though. WN is very new to he international market and JetBlue has been at this for a few years now. They will take quite a while to get their international ops up and running in my opinion.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

tom11

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:03 pm

No. Absolutely incorrect. What are you thinking? Why would WN 'swallow' up B6? That would lead to a huge reduction in competition, and make Southwest a near monopoly in the LCC market (now that F9 is a ULCC). In addition, B6 doesn't follow the WN business model. For one, they don't operate a single Boeing 737. It's not like FL, where they can remove the planes that aren't 737's, and move on. B6 is also not in a financial situation where they need a merger to survive, B6 is doing just fine...and continuing to grow. In addition, there is no way the DOT would let this merger happen. Moving on now, B6 and WN will not ever be one.

N757ST

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:36 pm

Quoting Tom11 (Reply 29):

Tom, never say never. First off, it's the DOJ, not the DOT, that would be against the merger. Second, the new airline would likely be far too large for any one manufacturer anyways. Will B6 be involved in a merger in the next 5 years? Maybe, heck probably. Money makes mergers happen.. If US and American can merge, anyone can. I don't want one, I've got a vested interest in one of the 2 airlines, but I've been in this industry long enough to realize anything can and will happen. If you get the right administration, the right environment, I could even see jetblue as part of any of the big 3.

yellowtail

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Quoting Tom11 (Reply 5):
They offer a good product

better yet, it is the two bag free that is the lure for fliers in latin and Caribbean markets

And what problems would that be? Because from EVERYONE I talk to, I hear that the international implementation has been a HUGE success.

Same here

EPIC is a harsh word, especially from the AA fan base. Remember WN Traditional LFs are always lower than everyone else.....they make money in the low 70s......at 64 it is hardly epic.

And as you have reminded many folks over and over again in your various posts.....it is not always about the LF. Its the yields.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

ODwyerPW

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:15 pm

WN can reach quite a few South American destinations from FLL.
Buenos Aires is a no go and Santiago Chili is tight, but almost every other major city on the continent is a go.
learning never stops.

N757ST

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Quoting ODwyerPW (Reply 32):
Buenos Aires is a no go and Santiago Chili is tight, but almost every other major city on the continent is a go.

Umm... Not really. I mean, sure LIM, GEO, MAO, everywhere in Ecuador, Columbia etc... but you wont hit the large cities like GRU, EZE, SCL, and MVD are all outside of the physical and economic range of the 737-700.

[Edited 2014-10-03 11:56:27]

[Edited 2014-10-03 11:56:59]

MAH4546

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:28 pm

You have to be kidding me with that statement.

Santiago "Chili" isn't tight. It's nowhere near possible, just like mostly all of Brazil.
a.

yellowtail

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:38 pm

The 737 is running on fumes by the time it is crosses in Manaus (from FLL).

Everyone thinks S. America is this tiny continent.
Its a 7 hour flight from PTY to EZE.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Abeam79

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:55 pm

WN wants to try to hit up Caribbean and central America, thats about it. They have clearly said they do not intend going further that would require an extra fleet type. B6 however have said they will grow their network to eventually get widebodies to connect south America with FLL and JFK.

MaverickM11

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 31):
Remember WN Traditional LFs are always lower than everyone else.....they make money in the low 70s.....

That was at least ten years ago. Today it's much higher and closer to everyone else.
E pur si muove -Galileo

737tanker

Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:56 am

On every flight we WN pilots get a WX package that also includes some company information. One of those info items is the break even LF. Last week that LF was 68%.

ODwyerPW

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting N757ST (Reply 32):
Umm... Not really. I mean, sure LIM, GEO, MAO, everywhere in Ecuador, Columbia etc... but you wont hit the large cities like GRU, EZE, SCL, and MVD are all outside of the physical and economic range of the 737-700.
Quoting mah4546 (Reply 33):
You have to be kidding me with that statement.

Santiago "Chili" isn't tight. It's nowhere near possible, just like mostly all of Brazil.
Quoting yellowtail (Reply 34):

The 737 is running on fumes by the time it is crosses in Manaus (from FLL).

Well, I wasn't kidding. I'm well aware of the size of the South American Continent.
But obviously gravely mistaken in my calculations.
Surely, I'm working with wrong numbers and have drawn some incorrect conclusions.

I was working off of 7Max ranges of US 3850 nmi = 7130km.
(Even the 8Max has a range of US 3660 nmi = 6778km, but I wasn't using those numbers as I imagine that is too tight.)

I have Fort Launderdale, Florida to Santiago Chili as 6709km. Hence my comment about Santiago being tight.
Even tighter is Rio de Jinero at 6755km.
I have Manaus at 3920km.

Am I working with some overly optimistic numbers from Boeing?
Are my US Nautical Miles to Kilometers conversións faulty?
Am I neglecting to take into consideration trade winds, etc..?
The ranges already have a margin of error built in... should I be handicapping the ranges an additional amount for a greater safety margin?
learning never stops.

jfklganyc

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:19 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 17):
Sounds like LGA's twin sister

I always say FLL is the LGA of Florida. Low ceilings and narrow concourses! Of course, both don't need to be nice...they make money!

Quoting SWADawg (Reply 22):

After the AirTran fiasco...planes sent to DL, ATL shrunk dramatically, 2 airlines STILL operating?
Regulators will have a big issue with WN trying to buy anyone. They have had the messiest of all the mergers this round.

N757ST

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Quoting ODwyerPW (Reply 38):

The numbers are a bit optimistic, no one assumed you were using max numbers, and preferred routings especially because of geo political reasons and the Andes don't allow for nearly direct routings. There is also a difference in max range and max economic range, something to consider.

ODwyerPW

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Quoting N757ST (Reply 40):
The numbers are a bit optimistic, no one assumed you were using max numbers, and preferred routings especially because of geo political reasons and the Andes don't allow for nearly direct routings. There is also a difference in max range and max economic range, something to consider.

I should have been clear on that. I was thinking future routes with a future subfleet (the 7MAX), not the present reality.

I hadn't considered the planes from the USA wouldn't be permitted to fly in as straight a line as posible... is that true?
I would imagine LAN would put quite a bit of pressure on the Chilean Gov't not to let it happen.

Regarding Max Range and Max Economic Range, I would think you would just take the fuel hit, rather than a 2nd touch down or Tag on the South American continent.

Either way.... looks like I proposed something that is completely imposible non-stop for the 7Max out of Fort Lauderdale.

Your comment on the Andes got me thinking, so I did a little research and found a neat short article from a Pilot's perspective.
http://www.mountainaviation.com/2013/09/24/andes-near-santiago-chile/

I guess the the plans for FLL, from non-stop planning, would just be Caribean, Latin America and the northern end of South America?
learning never stops.

INFINITI329

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Quoting ODwyerPW (Reply 41):
I guess the the plans for FLL, from non-stop planning, would just be Caribean, Latin America and the northern end of South America?

You hit the nail on the head

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos