Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546
Topic Author

AA/US Reverse Meal Cutbacks

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm

After the disaster that has been American Airlines' new catering this month, and due to an insane amount of complaints from customers after AA switched to US Airways' low quality food, AA will reverse some of the meal cutbacks, according to reliable sources posted on other forums and blogs.

*Meal windows will return to PMAA's standard of 2 hours, 30 minutes (but while PMAA would also make an exception and serve meals on flights between 2h00m-2h30m that departed during meal windows, the merged carrier still will not).
*Flights between IAD-MIA, DCA-MIA, ORD-AUS and DFW-MEX will be added as exception markets and once again have meal service. (In addition, the new MIA-CAP route is an new exception market and has meal service).
*Warm nuts will once again be offered on all flights of 2 hours or more (recently this was changed to 2h45m).
*Ice cream deserts will be added back to shorter flights (currently only 4h30m+ flights).
*The quality of the chicken will supposedly return to PMAA quality chicken (currently using PMUS chicken catering, which has been poorly received).
*Snack basket fights will feature improved sandwiches and pastries.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....meals-improving-snacks/#more-27846

Negative feedback about the quality of AA's new catering (AA switched to PMUS' much cheaper, lower quality catering) and lack of meals on many AA flights in September was so overwhelming and concerning, these changes are being implemented as quickly as possible and will begin to roll out in two weeks and be phased in by the end of the month.

Good to see Parker learn his first lesson about trying to cheapen the AA product and be quick to react. Something positive for once.
a.

Super80DFW

RE: AA/US Reverse Meal Cutbacks

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Any idea if plated meals will once again be served on American Eagle? It will be disappointing if they're not.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 1):
Any idea if plated meals will once again be served on American Eagle? It will be disappointing if they're not.

No word yet. Given that UA is introducing plated meals on United Express early next year, I think this one will be reversed (and the appropriate exception markets like ATL-LGA and LAX-DEN added), but that's just my opinion.
a.

commavia

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Awesome - great news, and I hope it's true. Just as when USAirways was "Tempefied" (USAirways east employees' word, not mine) back in 2006-2007, AA's new management team - led by broadly the same cast of characters - has pushed to see if, when and how the market (customer base) pushes back with respect to degrading the product/service offering. If these reports are confirmed, this will indicate - as many of us expected would happen - that AA's customer base has, indeed, pushed back in a meaningful way.

As many of us thought going into this merger, Parker has always had to be careful to walk a fine line between leveraging the immense revenue-generating potential of the AA network and degrading the AA product down, in some ways, to the USAirways level, which would drive away some of that revenue. Many - including plenty of AA employees - believed that these catering cuts crossed that fine line. I had AA flight attendants recently tell me that they were "embarrassed" to serve the new catering offering to some of their best customers - "regulars" who they see often on the same routes and flights, and have been serving basically the same standard of meal to for years.

Put simply: the AA that existing prior to December 2013 would not, and will not, continue to produce comparable levels of revenue going forward at the service levels of USAirways. Now it appears we may have confirmation that AA's new management has concluded the same.

AA94

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 3):

I still don't trust Doug Parker as far as I can throw him. I truly hope this little incident has shown him that AA fliers are a vocal bunch, and that no one's going to roll over and blindly accept blatantly low-quality products.

MaverickM11

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:02 pm

I wonder if this had more to do with UA's new announcement rather than AA feedback. If UA matched AA's levels of service I don't know that we'd be having this conversation. A comparison for reference:

http://crankyflier.com/2014/08/26/th...ic-battleground-first-class-meals/
I don't take responsibility at all

9w748capt

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Quoting AA94 (Reply 4):
I still don't trust Doug Parker as far as I can throw him. I truly hope this little incident has shown him that AA fliers are a vocal bunch, and that no one's going to roll over and blindly accept blatantly low-quality products.

This times 100 million. Sadly I'm sure Dougie isn't done screwing around just yet. Can't wait until the "enhanced" AAdvantage program rolls out. I'm sure the partner redemption chart will be chock full of "enhancements."

commavia

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 5):
I wonder if this had more to do with UA's new announcement rather than AA feedback.

Of course it did. I don't doubt for a second that AA was overwhelmed with the number of FFs who complained about the dramatic deterioration in premium food service, but on the flip side, I also don't doubt for a second that AA was also caught off guard when one of their largest rivals - which previously had (at least in some ways) the industry's worst premium food program - leapfrogged over AA, which previously was widely regarded as having the industry's best premium food program.

I respect that there is certainly a balance to all of this. Doug Parker and his management team didn't cut meal service just for fun - they did it because they thought it wasn't all that big a driver of business, or all that big a competitive discriminator for AA. Airlines are businesses, and so costs have to be managed based on customer value propositions and - specifically - not what customers say they want or complain they no longer have, but what they're willing to pay for. However, at least in this instance, perhaps AA's new management have learned that they calculated incorrectly - and that, indeed, dismantling what was previously one of AA's big advantages does, indeed, drive away revenue.

I find the speed at which they have (at least partially) reversed course to be encouraging.

AWACSooner

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Quoting AA94 (Reply 4):
I still don't trust Doug Parker as far as I can throw him.

I haven't trusted him since he took over HP back in the day...and (imo) ruined that airline into a merger...

oc2dc

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Thread starter):
Negative feedback about the quality of AA's new catering (AA switched to PMUS' much cheaper, lower quality catering) and lack of meals on many AA flights in September was so overwhelming and concerning, these changes are being implemented as quickly as possible and will begin to roll out in two weeks and be phased in by the end of the month.

Interesting. I saw a blogger by the name of Ben Schlappig tweet about how upset he was that there were no meals/snacks for sale in Y on his ORD-LAX flight. Apparently the flight left at 8:40pm which is after meal time. Not sure if this has always been like this or not. In addition, I saw a lot of pics on instagram making a mockery of some of the first class meals AA was serving. I'm relieved to hear they are reversing their original USAirwaysification plan.
I'm not complaining, I'm critiquing...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Quoting oc2dc (Reply 9):
Not sure if this has always been like this or not.

It has not. Before the changes, AA would have served a meal on this flight. As of now, it still appears that flight will not have a meal. Flights departing after 8PM do not have meals unless it is a trans-con.
a.

MaverickM11

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 7):
Of course it did. I don't doubt for a second that AA was overwhelmed with the number of FFs who complained about the dramatic deterioration in premium food service, but on the flip side, I also don't doubt for a second that AA was also caught off guard when one of their largest rivals - which previously had (at least in some ways) the industry's worst premium food program - leapfrogged over AA, which previously was widely regarded as having the industry's best premium food program.

Every AA FF is a special snowflake but I think most figured UA would match AA's not unreasonable guidelines....until they didn't.

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 8):
I haven't trusted him since he took over HP back in the day...and (imo) ruined that airline into a merger...

How?? By not letting it die?

qqflyboy

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:56 pm

*Meal windows will return to PMAA's standard of 2 hours, 30 minutes (but while PMAA would also make an exception and serve meals on flights between 2h00m-2h30m that departed during meal windows, the merged carrier still will not).
*Flights between IAD-MIA, DCA-MIA, ORD-AUS and DFW-MEX will be added as exception markets and once again have meal service. (In addition, the new MIA-CAP route is an new exception market and has meal service).
*Warm nuts will once again be offered on all flights of 2 hours or more (recently this was changed to 2h45m).
*Ice cream deserts will be added back to shorter flights (currently only 4h30m+ flights).
*The quality of the chicken will supposedly return to PMAA quality chicken (currently using PMUS chicken catering, which has been poorly received).
*Snack basket fights will feature improved sandwiches and pastries.

^^^ This is all correct. ^^^

Ice cream will return to flights 3h30m+.
Improvements begin October 16, with all changes implemented by the end of November.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

mah584jr

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Good to see Parker learn his first lesson about trying to cheapen the AA product and be quick to react. Something positive for once.

I'm really glad AA changed their tune on this. Parker has run a profitable airline for many years, so I can't fault him being a successful CEO.

However, in his effort to maximize profits, he sometimes pushes things too far when it comes to service standards. I'm sure many of you remember when he tried to charge for water!

Glad he reversed course on this front and I'm proud of the AA customer base for speaking up on this issue.

-mah584jr

learjet1969

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:45 pm

I just sent an email to the former head of Food and Bev at AA who was moved to Customer Planning. The new head of catering for AA came from US and clearly destroyed all the improvements PMAA had made to F class food. The former head mentioned that they were reverting back to some of the old policies and procurement. I just flew BOS-DFW-LAX and felt ill after "Taragon Chicken" which was akin to something served at a high school cafeteria. On the second leg I tried a Pasta dish, that was swimming in oil. Also the replacement of fresh baked cookies with a warmed prepackaged cookie left a strange film in my mouth after the first bite, i couldn't eat it. Also wine quality has quickly deteriorated. The new plates look nice, but it certainly doesn't match the food served in them. Also they need to address the salad, 10 pieces of lettuce 2 tomatoes and 2 mozzarella balls does not a salad make. This all stems back to the mentality of US senior leadership, refer back to the DOJ case and comments made by senior leadership in reference to onboard service.

Quote from AA Leadership "Yes meal service has been off to a mixed start. New serving ware looks great. Shorter meal window hasn't been too popular. It is being tweaked and will hopefully be better when you try again!"

[Edited 2014-10-04 15:52:04]

kakk80

Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:47 am

Well they really need to bring back the freshly baked onboard cookies. I recently flew a dinner service, and I thought the main course was seriously lacking the quality I've had in the past. But I loved the warm nuts as always, and was looking forward to the cookie for dessert. I thought at least the beginning and end would be nice. But as soon as I took my first bite of the cookie, I knew all wasn't well. It just wasn't gooey and delicious like the cookies of old. I later asked the Flight Attendant if the cookies were still baked onboard, and she sadly said no, and that they were simply cookies heated up. You can definitely tell the change, can't you? she said. She also added that she was better than this, and was very sad about the change.

But I'm certainly excited that some meal service improvements are coming. I hope this time it really is for the better

ozark1

Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 am

The three words that we are feeling since US took over are CUT, CUT, CUT. Cut heads here cut services there. It is only when people rise up and the complaints start to rise up that they take notice. They are starting to realize that what might have worked at US, doesn't work at an airline as huge as the combination will be. I'm not sure that UA had as much to do with it as a revolt by Platinums. They will listen to them. Doug has these town hall meetings with the employees, which we are very pleased with and are so totally different than what we have ever experienced. The problem is that, to get things done, the advice has to come from the passengers, whereas the employees might be pacified by "we'll look into it". We have much better communication with him than we've ever had with a CEO, but it's too soon to determine if it's all spin, or if our feedback is taken to heart.

nomorerjs

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:29 am

Parker is in over his head. UA and AA need to learn from DL!

Disclaimer, I did my internship at DL and live in Dallas and am P on AA. Given I fly to ORD, DEN, and EWR, I'm contemplating a switch to UA as AA is deteriorating and upgrades are impossible.

commavia

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:37 am

Quoting nomorerjs (Reply 17):
Parker is in over his head.

Eh - let's not get ahead of ourselves. AA's new management team made a judgment call on what they thought the value of premium catering was to AA customers, and the competitive importance of premium catering relative to rivals. In this case - as many of us could have predicted, and did predict, months ago - their judgment call was clearly wrong. And they're apparently taking responsibility, and changing course.

That's a lot more than United's stakeholders - customers, employees, shareholders - can say for some of the brilliant ideas from Smisek & Co. up in Chicago, who have made not one but multiple major mistakes and spent the better part of two years insisting that everything was fine and/or under control.

Parker and Kirby have made some missteps - everybody, including them, knew and said that was inevitable. But they've also engineered some pretty important, positive contributions thus far - including pressing the proverbial "reset" button with at least one of the major union groups, and restored AA to its aggressive self with respect to the network, among others. And, lest we forget, AA is producing record profits, generating mountains of cash, and finding its financial footing for the first time in well over a decade.

As an AAdvantage elite member, I'm personally still going to reserve judgment until this whole integration is over in another ~18 months before I assess, with some hindsight and perspective, just how Parker and Kirby handled things. So far, I'll take them any day of the week compared to what Smisek's performance over at United.

[Edited 2014-10-04 18:38:29]

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:26 am

I wonder if this had more to do with UA's new announcement rather than AA feedback.

I'm sure it played some role, but the negative feedback on the changes was huge, and it came from everywhere, not just customers, but employees too.

And "matching United" doesn't explain why MIA-WAS, ORD-AUS and DFW-MEX get their meals back in two weeks. That's elite customers complaining loudly in major premium markets.
a.

N1120A

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:50 am

The last 3 years have seen big jumps in the price of airline tickets. I think that the airlines are now just realizing that people who are still flying despite that - especially FFers - are expecting more for that money.

Thank goodness. This was a HUGE complaint for me. I tried the miso chicken twice and was shocked at how poor it was. Not the Subway-esque chicken patty that UA has been using, but not good.

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 2):
No word yet. Given that UA is introducing plated meals on United Express early next year, I think this one will be reversed (and the appropriate exception markets like ATL-LGA and LAX-DEN added), but that's just my opinion.

UA hasn't really said there will be plated meals, but warm sandwiches instead of the shelf-stable junk. Actually, I don't mind the breakfast box - its the rest of the day that sucks.

I wonder if this had more to do with UA's new announcement rather than AA feedback. If UA matched AA's levels of service I don't know that we'd be having this conversation. A comparison for reference:

I think it is a good deal of both. US reversed course on charging for drinks without any competitors having made the same move in the first place. That was largely due to complaints. That said, UA announced their food upgrades a while ago, so I'm thinking that the feedback combined with the upcoming threat of improvements at UA combined to make a difference.

Quoting commavia (Reply 7):

Well, United really had no where to go but up.

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 8):

Actually, he did exactly the right thing with HP. HP was a niche carrier operating out of leisure/price-sensitive markets. He absolutely ran that airline the right way. Parker's issues have stemmed from not thinking out of that box, and further needing to figure out some way to turn the old US network into something that was economically competitive. Parker may have a certain mentality, but he is not stupid and he is not afraid to admit mistakes and reverse course if need be - something Jeff Smisek seems to absolutely lack the ability to do. With UA FFers dropping like flies after the move to revenue earning, Smisek had a clear out and hasn't taken it. Same with the shocking drop in meal quality. We put up with that for the last 3 years until they finally decided to do something about it. It took Parker 2 months or so.

Quoting nomorerjs (Reply 17):

Disclaimer, I did my internship at DL and live in Dallas and am P on AA. Given I fly to ORD, DEN, and EWR, I'm contemplating a switch to UA as AA is deteriorating and upgrades are impossible.

Upgrades are impossible? Good luck being a 50,000 mile flyer on UA - a Gold and equal to a Platinum on AA - let alone a 75,000 Platinum on UA or even a 1K, and having a better upgrade rate than AA. I'm an EXP on AA and a 1K on UA - upgrades are much easier on AA than UA.

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 19):
I'm sure it played some role, but the negative feedback on the changes was huge, and it came from everywhere, not just customers, but employees too.

And "matching United" doesn't explain why MIA-WAS, ORD-AUS and DFW-MEX get their meals back in two weeks. That's elite customers complaining loudly in major premium markets.

It got to the point that I took to Twitter to complain about a specific meal that I have found pretty substandard - the miso chicken.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AABB777

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Does this revision back to LAA meal windows also include the re-introduction of the Flagship meal service on transcon flights other than JFK-LAX/SFO? For example, DCA-LAX?

Will linen table cloths return? Fresh baked cookies onboard?

9w748capt

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm also wondering will plated meals return on Eagle? Will royally suck if not.

SaschaYHZ

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Jeez...reading about standards "up front" in the US, I almost feel spoiled up here the few times I've managed to get a seat in Business on AC.    *Admittedly I'm not overly experienced flying US carriers*

ckfred

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Quoting AA94 (Reply 4):

Two point. First, Parker started his career at AA, when Bob Crandall was CEO, and AA was truly the best-managed carrier in the U.S. with the best on-board product. Even as AA slid into Chapter 11, evreyone knew that AA's on-board product, particularly domestic, was closer to UA and DL than US.

Second, I know that the unions questioned Parker, as he was courting support for the merger, about what would happen to AA's on-board product. Parker said that US's network didn't generate the kind of premium traffic that AA's network generated, and that in most cases the merged carrier would have an on-board product that reflected PMAA.

Clearly, the changes in meal service were more like PMUS. I'm sure that Parker learned his lesson. But then, PMAA management would have shrugged off the complaints and continued with the new catering, just as they shrugged off other complaints over the prior 10 years.

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 10):
It has not. Before the changes, AA would have served a meal on this flight. As of now, it still appears that flight will not have a meal. Flights departing after 8PM do not have meals unless it is a trans-con.

It's always a problem when flying across several time zones, whether to serve a meal and what type. Do you serve a meal based on depature time or arrival time? I've been on 10am departures out of ORD going west that served lunch, even though arrivals were before lunch, while I've been on 10am departures out of LAS that served breakfast, even though arrivals at ORD were after 3pm.

Back in the 90s, I used to take a 4pm departure out of ATL for ORD, and about half of the people in F skipped the meal, because they were planning to have dinner in Chicago. You may find that with an 8:40 departure out of ORD for LAX, there were people who already ate in Chicago and were passing on the F dinner.

questions

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:44 pm

With "First Class Monetization" why does DL still have such low standard F meals?

commavia

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 24):
But then, PMAA management would have shrugged off the complaints and continued with the new catering, just as they shrugged off other complaints over the prior 10 years.

I am not sure if that is necessarily fair. I know that AA's former management team has been turned into the boogeyman of horrible mismanagement and stupidity - because of a mix of both truly stupid decisions and the judicious rewriting of history by some self-interested parties trying to shift blame.

Nonetheless, lest we forget, in year leading up to the merger and the time AA was in bankruptcy, AA unveiled and/or introduced several major improvements to its product/service offering - including the new (U.S.-industry-leading) longhaul J cabin, and substantial domestic premium catering upgrades, among others.

AA management may, indeed, have "shrugged off the complaints" for years - to their and the company's own peril - but, to be fair, they also had a lot less to work with, financially, than Doug Parker & Co. do now.

N62NA

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Quoting learjet1969 (Reply 14):
I just flew BOS-DFW-LAX and felt ill after "Taragon Chicken" which was akin to something served at a high school cafeteria

Uh oh. I've reserved the Taragon Chicken lunch this coming week on MIA-JFK

laca773

Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm impressed how quickly this management team reacted to the implemented changes. It shows, that AA's customers won't put up with a cheapened product, and won't win at any level with his most important customers. Hats off to them for making the changes back to the standards they already had in place that will see US passengers getting a better product too.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 21):
Does this revision back to LAA meal windows also include the re-introduction of the Flagship meal service on transcon flights other than JFK-LAX/SFO? For example, DCA-LAX?

MIA-LAX also has the AFS service, but other than that, no, not right now.

Will linen table cloths return? Fresh baked cookies onboard?

Hopefully both will. Table linens are still on trans-cons.

Quoting N62NA (Reply 27):

Switch to the pasta. You can change up to 24 hours in advance. The chicken has probably been the most complained about item, so it's being discontinued pretty quickly.
a.

brilondon

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 27):

Quoting learjet1969 (Reply 14):
I just flew BOS-DFW-LAX and felt ill after "Taragon Chicken" which was akin to something served at a high school cafeteria

So this crap is going to come back to replace the crap that replaced the crap. I wish that they would just make food that is edible.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

ikramerica

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Back in the 90s, I used to take a 4pm departure out of ATL for ORD, and about half of the people in F skipped the meal, because they were planning to have dinner in Chicago. You may find that with an 8:40 departure out of ORD for LAX, there were people who already ate in Chicago and were passing on the F dinner.

In my opinion if the flight is over 3 hours that leaves "at night" there should ALWAYS be food for purchase in Y, and that should be offered to F pax gratis. Especially when departing from a hub there can be many reasons why F and Y pax alike didn't get to eat dinner or pick something up in terminal, and now you are sticking them in a metal tube at an hour when they may be awake the whole time, might normally have a snack or even a meal where they live, and not even giving them the option to buy something to eat is poor policy. Worse, I've been in that situation, and then when you land at the other end, it's "too late" to buy food at the airport. So it's even more time before you can eat.

I know in my family because of our baby's needs, we often don't even eat until 8:30 when he's in bed, and many new city dwellers/white collar people eat after 8 due to the business hours they keep, so the idea that an arbitrary time of 8PM is "after dinner" is nonsense anyway.

To declare dinner hours 5-8PM (working class dinner hours) when much of your high yield clientele is white collar where dinner is 7-10PM seems a bit disconnected from your customer base to begin with...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

N62NA

Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:33 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 29):
Switch to the pasta. You can change up to 24 hours in advance. The chicken has probably been the most complained about item, so it's being discontinued pretty quickly.

Unfortunately the pasta has cheese, and I can't eat cheese (lactose intolerant). So... I'll just treat this flight as a "research expedition" to see just how bad (or good) the tarragon chicken meal is.  

flyguy89

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:28 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 31):

I agree that it is strange. I know in Y on DL and US, they always have their basic snacks (chips, candy, snack bars...etc) available for purchase no matter what, while the premium sandwiches and meal options are often limited. Perhaps it was just a fluke on that flight and they didn't get catered or something. Hard to believe they wouldn't have ANYTHING available for purchase.

Byrdluvs747

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:49 am

Quoting laca773 (Reply 28):
I'm impressed how quickly this management team reacted to the implemented changes. It shows, that AA's customers won't put up with a cheapened product, and won't win at any level with his most important customers. Hats off to them for making the changes back to the standards they already had in place that will see US passengers getting a better product too.

Hats off? Obviously we are impressed by different things. I would be more impressed if they didn't try to implement changes like this in the first place.

This shows that Penny Pinching Parker can not be trusted with the quality of AA's onboard product. Im using this as a preview to whats going to happen to AAdvantage.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

D L X

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 am

After the disaster that has been American Airlines' new catering this month, and due to an insane amount of complaints from customers after AA switched to US Airways' low quality food, AA will reverse some of the meal cutbacks, according to reliable sources posted on other forums and blogs

Man. You could write for the tabloids with this.

Your hatred for US Airways once again rears its head. Please provide a source for your information. "Reliable sources" does not cut it. Otherwise, I'll believe it when I see it.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:21 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 35):
Your hatred for US Airways once again rears its head. Please provide a source for your information. "Reliable sources" does not cut it. Otherwise, I'll believe it when I see it.

Employee memo that was posted online in the link I provided. Does it bother/surprise you that AA customers reacted poorly to the adoption of US low quality product?

That US Airways provides a very low wuality premium product isn't hatred, it's acknowledging reality. US tried to have that product passed onto AA and failed miserably.

[Edited 2014-10-05 18:28:14]
a.

aajfksjubklyn

Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:22 am

Ian so happy I complained. Lol.

D L X

Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:47 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 36):
Does it bother/surprise you that AA customers reacted

Nope. AA flyers appear to be a very entitled lot.

That US Airways provides a very low wuality premium product isn't hatred,

Your hatred runs very thick. Only you use words like "disaster" and "insane." Only hatred can blind someone into ignoring AA's very obvious flaws, including in its premium product.

If AA is going to better its food service, I applaud that as a frequent AA flyer. But the bile and the vitriol... I hope not to have to sit next to someone like that on my next flight.

OB1504

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:31 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 38):

In my experience, US elites are much more entitled than their AA counterparts.

AA elites were right to be angered by a reduction in the service standards they'd grown accustomed to.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:44 am

Does it bother/surprise you that AA customers reacted

Expecting a decent meal on a 2h30m flight is entitled? Give me a break. It's industry standard.

Fares are going nowhere but up, airlines are recording billions in profits, and somebody is "entitled" because they expect a decent meal in first class?

If US Airways wants to play with the big boys, it needs to up its game in the service and amenities department big time. It for some reason thought it could get away with cheapening a key part of the product, and here it is 30 days later, tail between its legs, reversing the majority of the changes back to PMAA levels.

Only hatred can blind someone into ignoring AA's very obvious flaws, including in its premium product.

I'm one of AA's biggest critics. The airline has plenty of significant flaws, always has, always will. It's domestic catering was not a flaw, especially not lately as AA improved the product under Horton.
a.

9w748capt

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:52 am

Your hatred runs very thick. Only you use words like "disaster" and "insane." Only hatred can blind someone into ignoring AA's very obvious flaws, including in its premium product.

LOL, he's certainly not alone. Check out the FT threads - far worse is being said about LCC Dougie and Co on there.

AA's very obvious flaws? Surely you're not serious? Obvious flaws such as what, actually serving plated meals on regionals, how about actually serving meals at all on flights shorter than 4 hours? Obvious flaws, of course. This is US Airways we're comparing AA's premium service to? The "wifi is a waste of money" airline? Haha!

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:36 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 26):
I am not sure if that is necessarily fair.

I think it is.

Nonetheless, lest we forget, in year leading up to the merger and the time AA was in bankruptcy, AA unveiled and/or introduced several major improvements to its product/service offering - including the new (U.S.-industry-leading) longhaul J cabin, and substantial domestic premium catering upgrades, among others.

You say industry leading, I say "catching up". Only even that hasn't happened. I'm not a fan of DL for a lot of reasons, but your comment above is much more applicable to them than it ever likely will be of AA.

AA management may, indeed, have "shrugged off the complaints" for years - to their and the company's own peril - but, to be fair, they also had a lot less to work with, financially, than Doug Parker & Co. do now.

Indeed this is true. I'm not sure, maybe it's just that they've spent so much time putting themselves in a straight jacket WRT getting more productivity out of their employees. For what the cost of labor is and has been for them historically, mgmt really indeed should have been able to get a lot more from here and in this way, they're the ones who've had a lot more to work with than Parker.

But in all honesty, there has been a response best categorized as "non-existent" to most of the soft product related complaints over the years.

We can say what we want about Parker and the New Mgmt Team, but the fact is that they do in fact a record of lightning fast reactions (at least compared to prior AA Mgmt) where issues like this are concerned.

Only hatred can blind someone into ignoring AA's very obvious flaws, including in its premium product.

That or just literally never having been on another airplane. Honestly, I'm pretty astounded about some of these comments. To use them yet again as an example, DL has a premium product that surpasses AA's in every way (though not by leaps and bounds). The argument can be made that AA's 321Ts are better here, but even then, that's likely to change, and it's not available in >99% of their domestic markets.

Having that been said, I don't even think DL's product is something to write home about, just that's better than what's being discussed here. So I don't understand the anti-US AAtittude problem here, when it's not even first place we're arguing over.

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 40):
I'm one of AA's biggest critics.

Never in any post of your's I've read... You're as much of an AA critic as I am an AA Fanboy.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:18 pm

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 42):
You say industry leading, I say "catching up".

US still has more longhaul lie flat seats than AA, most of them all aisle access.

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 41):
Check out the FT threads - far worse is being said about LCC Dougie and Co on there.

I think flyertalkers stop breathing if they stop delusionally whining  ...sorta like sharks when they stop moving.

ldvaviation

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:05 pm

You say industry leading, I say "catching up". Only even that hasn't happened. I'm not a fan of DL for a lot of reasons, but your comment above is much more applicable to them than it ever likely will be of AA.

The new 772 J Seat will be the best J Seat offered by any US Carrier. As it stands, the 773 J seat is the best J Seat offered by any US carrier.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 43):
US still has more longhaul lie flat seats than AA, most of them all aisle access.

It is NOT more.

How many A330's does US have? 17

How many 773's, 767's with the new product, and 772's with the new product does AA have? 17 at least...

Plus, by next summer, almost all the 772's will have the new J seat. So, it is not like the conversion is going to take forever.

[Edited 2014-10-06 11:06:21]

commavia

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:31 pm

You say industry leading, I say "catching up".

So there we are. I have my opinion, you have yours.

That or just literally never having been on another airplane. Honestly, I'm pretty astounded about some of these comments. To use them yet again as an example, DL has a premium product that surpasses AA's in every way (though not by leaps and bounds).

It's a highly subjective opinion. I, myself, have absolutely flown in premium cabins - domestic U.S., and longhaul - on multiple major U.S., European and Asia carriers. And in my experience, I stand by my earlier statement that AA's new J product is absolutely, without any question, "U.S.-industry-leading," and was AA's domestic premium catering. I also do not agree that Delta's premium product "surpasses AA's in every way" - indeed, I'd say that in several critical ways, AA's premium product - even post-deterioration - remains substantially ahead in several key ways.

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 44):
It is NOT more.

How many A330's does US have? 17

24. Not sure how many AA 763s have been retrofitted at this point so it could be more now, but it's still a *very* recent development.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 46):
24. Not sure how many AA 763s have been retrofitted at this point so it could be more now, but it's still a *very* recent development.

9 763s; all 25 complete by May.

1 772 so far; two more coming next month.
a.

N1120A

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm

You sound a lot like John Rainey talking about UA FFers - who have deserted the airline in droves for the AA and DL products.

Expecting a decent meal on a 2h30m flight is entitled? Give me a break. It's industry standard.

Yeah - that was never going to go over well, especially with the concurrent drop in quality.

If US Airways wants to play with the big boys, it needs to up its game in the service and amenities department big time. It for some reason thought it could get away with cheapening a key part of the product, and here it is 30 days later, tail between its legs, reversing the majority of the changes back to PMAA levels.

Again, if you can give the Tempe folks any credit, it is that they are very willing to backtrack on their grandiose plans to whittle down a product if there is bad feedback. It happened with their soft drink sales experiment, and its happening here.

I'm one of AA's biggest critics. The airline has plenty of significant flaws, always has, always will. It's domestic catering was not a flaw, especially not lately as AA improved the product under Horton.

Well, I'd hardly have called you "one of AA's biggest critics" prior to the merger. I'd call it the opposite, in fact.

That said, you are indeed right that domestic catering was not a flaw.

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 31):
In my opinion if the flight is over 3 hours that leaves "at night" there should ALWAYS be food for purchase in Y, and that should be offered to F pax gratis. Especially when departing from a hub there can be many reasons why F and Y pax alike didn't get to eat dinner or pick something up in terminal, and now you are sticking them in a metal tube at an hour when they may be awake the whole time, might normally have a snack or even a meal where they live, and not even giving them the option to buy something to eat is poor policy. Worse, I've been in that situation, and then when you land at the other end, it's "too late" to buy food at the airport. So it's even more time before you can eat.

There is no question here. One of the more healthy "European" habits the US has adopted in the past decade or so is a later evening meal. I grew up eating dinner no earlier than 8 p.m. on most nights, and I work, at a minimum, till 7 or 8 anyway. There is no question that these mythical meal "windows" are both products of a bygone era and not much more than a cheap move.

Even as AA slid into Chapter 11, evreyone knew that AA's on-board product, particularly domestic, was closer to UA and DL than US.

Actually, I'd argue that AA's product was better than UA and DL - especially UA after the merger.

Fresh baked cookies onboard?

Those haven't gone anywhere.

Quoting commavia (Reply 45):
I stand by my earlier statement that AA's new J product is absolutely, without any question, "U.S.-industry-leading," and was AA's domestic premium catering.

I don't think there is any question that the product on the 77W is industry leading, especially from a hard product standpoint, anywhere. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Now, would I like to combine that with the poached eggs and wine bible one gets on NZ? Sure. However, the hard product definitely leads the US industry and it is kind of upsetting that they haven't gone with that same product on at least the retrofitted 772s. Even still, the seat product on that plane is better than the UA/CO product.

No question, however, that AA's domestic catering before a month ago was the absolute best.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
Fresh baked cookies onboard?

Those haven't gone anywhere.

Unfortunately, yes, they have. They are only on MIA/JFK-LAX/SFO.

Fresh baked cookies and breakfast biscuits were discontinued by US management, and as of now are still not returning.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
However, the hard product definitely leads the US industry and it is kind of upsetting that they haven't gone with that same product on at least the retrofitted 772s.

I haven't tried it, but word is the 772 seat is even better. Hence why they didn't go with the Cirrus seat.

The new 772 product is in service on DFW-SCL.

[Edited 2014-10-06 12:04:51]
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos