Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RightRudder
Topic Author

When Will Mexicana Be Back In Operation?

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 am

Mexicana's website is showing that they will be up and running in the future. http://mexicanainforma.com/cma-informs/ The name itself has value and it has been around since 1921. Why has it taken this long to start it up again?
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana".

OzarkD9S

RE: When Will Mexicana Be Back In Operation?

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:06 am

Probably when polar bears do the hula in Hades. MX is for all intents and purposes, dead. Of course someone may resurrect the name someday a la Pan Am 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.....
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

mwh787

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:08 am

I don't think the website has chafed any in over a year. Mexicana (IMO) is history too many creditor problems nothing left to salvage or save.. This has been discussed over and over on a.net. Don't think we have to again

Polot

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:30 am

The copyright of the website still says 2010 (the same year the airline ceased operations). That tells you all you need to know about the last time it was updated.

AR385

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:20 am

No, they are not going to fly again.

Last I heard, a new judge was appointed to investigate the irregularities of the bankruptcy proceeding. The most important one being that Tenedora K (I believe), got the name by tricking everyone into believing they were actually interested in resurrecting Mexicana. So they own the name and I think the judge wants it back.

The sad A320s you see at their MRO are already repossesed by BANCOMEXT and BANORTE I believe, but they are in reality rustbuckets. Won´t fly again.

Their MRO business keeps working and is doing good business but I really don´t know who it belongs to now. I believe the bankruptcy committee is managing it. I heard AM was interested in it.

But no, Mexicana is dead.

Braniff747SP

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:57 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
Their MRO business keeps working and is doing good business but I really don´t know who it belongs to now.

Doesn't sound like it: http://www.milenio.com/negocios/Mexi...nte-Marco_Rosales_0_373762641.html

Article in Spanish, apologies -- basically says that they can't meet payroll. It's from the 16th of the last month.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

AR385

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:01 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 5):
Article in Spanish, apologies -- basically says that they can't meet payroll. It's from the 16th of the last month.

I see. Still, the article says they have customers that have not paid, and that is causing their liquidity issues. As far as th structural damages the building has, I don´t know what they mean by that...

lightsaber

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:58 am

I'm of mixed opinion on Mexicana flying again. The name has *great* marketing value. But... the company *must* be reorganized along lines to make it profitable, recapitalized, and in general be a new company with but the old name/logo.

Let's not defile the name as PanAm's has been. One clean retry... Nothing else.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

SCL767

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:59 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
Their MRO business keeps working and is doing good business

Particularly due to the fact that LATAM is their primary customer. What will happen to Mexicana's MRO when LAN's brand new maintenance hangar opens at MIA next year?

AR385

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:25 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 8):
What will happen to Mexicana's MRO when LAN's brand new maintenance hangar opens at MIA next year?

My opinion is that due to labor costs, it would be cheaper for LAN to keep bringing business to Mexico. After all, the Mexican staff have the same qualifications as their American counterparts, with the same certifications, but their wages are much less. Maybe LAN is opening their faciliy at MIA due to capacity issues, but cost wise the Mexicana one is cheaper. I don´t think business for MX´s MRO will decline.

TheRedBaron

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:34 am

Mexicana wont fly ever again.

I know someone who had the money, the will and the background to do it, but he lacked something very important, the blessings of the prior government, and specially the minister of labor.... they tried and tried only to be disdained, mocked and ridiculed, even the judge who handled the case did not meet them as allowed by law, just because "someone" upstairs did not want to resume operations ...

Typical Mexican corruption and favor trafficking ...

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

SCL767

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:55 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 9):
My opinion is that due to labor costs, it would be cheaper for LAN to keep bringing business to Mexico. After all, the Mexican staff have the same qualifications as their American counterparts, with the same certifications, but their wages are much less.

LATAM already employs a workforce of nearly 1,400 people in Miami. The Miami-Dade Aviation Department and the State of Florida lobbied LAN to build its first U.S. maintenance facility at MIA. The FDOT and the FAA will contribute over US$9 million towards the construction of the new hangar plus aircraft parking aprons and taxiways. It's also important to note that MIA is LAN Cargo's primary hub; as well as a massive and growing focus city for LATAM.

LatinPlane

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:10 am

Particularly due to the fact that LATAM is their primary customer. What will happen to Mexicana's MRO when LAN's brand new maintenance hangar opens at MIA next year?

It won't shut down just because LATAM moves its business to MIA. It can easily diversify and gain business elsewhere. LATAM is a big customer, but not its sole customer.

However, It will need an investor in the near future, as it will have to create a whole new facility when Mexico's airport moves to the new location or move to a whole new destination in Mexico that offers tax breaks and better economic incentives and terms like AeroMexico did with its newly built and expanding MRO facility in Queretaro.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

ghost77

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:43 am

How wrong as always your facts are.

Mexicana's MRO has more than LAN/JJ/LATAM.

MX MRO has signed AV and has lessor agreements as well, customers such as Aeromexico (they painted a T7 there recently), Magnicharters (B737), VivaAerobus (B737 and now A320) and Volaris as well many more carriers that serve MEX are taken care by MX.

More over, MX's MRO is now painting several business jets a new line they're working on. MX MRO has a lot of work going on as we speak.

g77

DesertAir

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:25 pm

The Mexicana domestic and international routes have been well covered and expanded by Volaris, Interjet, Viva and Aeromexico. To restart Mexicana in addition to all of the obstacles mentioned, the competition would be very intense.

JDFLYVC10

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):
Probably when polar bears do the hula in Hades.

DANG... I was hoping to see that wonderful Mexicana DC-10-15 at LAX!!!
A Day Without Sunshine Is Like....NIGHT!

psa188

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting RightRudder (Thread starter):
Why has it taken this long to start it up again?

I think MX has an agreement with Kiwi to re-start using some of the latter's ROMBAC-111s, which ought to be arriving any time now.

flyorski

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:51 pm

When DL retires the MD88s Mexicana will pick them up and get a fresh start  
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos