Goldenshield

RE: Utah Aviation Thread

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:18 am

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Reply 99):
I also read that DL/OO is ending service between SLC and Moab (CNY) in April. It's a shame. It makes me wonder with OO dropping the EMB-120's if the DL/OO service from SLC to West Yellowstone, Rock Springs, Gillette, Elko, Vernal, Pocatello, and Twin Falls will end as well.

PIH and TWF already see jet service. Vernal and Elko would need a longer runway or face heavy restrictions. GCC already sees the jet out of DEN. RKS, while it could handle a jet just fine, it's uncertain as to whether it can fill the seats.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Legend757

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 am

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Reply 99):
It makes me wonder with OO dropping the EMB-120's if the DL/OO service from SLC to West Yellowstone, Rock Springs, Gillette, Elko, Vernal, Pocatello, and Twin Falls will end as well.

EKO goes 2X daily on CRJ Jan 1, 2015
VEL continues 2X daily on EMB-120
WYS goes 2X daily on CRJ Jun 1, 2015
GCC goes 1X daily on CRJ Feb 1, 2015

RKS ends Jan 30, 2015

Also, UA is upgauging flights to DEN and ORD next spring as well...no doubt because of dwindling CRJ fleet.

SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:09 am

I wonder if the sped up process for DL/OO on the EMB-120's in SLC is because they will be needing to demolish the southern portion of the E concourse for the new terminal. That is where OO parks their EMB-120's.

BD338

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:19 am

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Reply 102):
wonder if the sped up process for DL/OO on the EMB-120's in SLC is because they will be needing to demolish the southern portion of the E concourse for the new terminal.

Quite some time until that work occurs. Got to build the new garage (current work), demo the old one to make way for the terminal building, get that started, then they can work on moving that glorified bus stop that is concourse E. There's a whole new 2 level roadway somewhere in there as well.

SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:47 am

I wonder if Horizon Air will expand in SLC with their Q400's.

Legend757

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:33 pm

A thought just came to mind.

Could AS pull off a HNL route from SLC. I honestly don't think they would have trouble filling the plane, the problem I see is the capability of the 737-900ER. Could they make this aircraft work on this route if they applied weight restrictions?

If they could, I see a SLC-HNL a real way to sting DL.

mayor

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:41 pm

Quoting Legend757 (Reply 105):

Could AS pull off a HNL route from SLC. I honestly don't think they would have trouble filling the plane, the problem I see is the capability of the 737-900ER. Could they make this aircraft work on this route if they applied weight restrictions?

If they could, I see a SLC-HNL a real way to sting DL.

Not sure what the hot and high capabilities are for this a/c. What weight restrictions could they put on, other than blocking seats? If they do that, with fares relatively low, how long before AS was flushing money down the toilet?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Legend757

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 106):
Not sure what the hot and high capabilities are for this a/c. What weight restrictions could they put on, other than blocking seats? If they do that, with fares relatively low, how long before AS was flushing money down the toilet?

If the hot and high capability was too restrictive, maybe only operate the route seasonally during peak cooler months...say Dec-Apr/May?

I'd be interested to know specific weight restrictions for the 737-900ER and altitude at SLC.

ridgid727

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:21 am

The DOT issued an order prohibiting OO from stopping service at CNY and VEL, but also sent out requests for proposals to serve these airports.

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf92/8.pdf

Goldenshield

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:29 am

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 108):
prohibiting

Only temporarily for 30 days. This will have no effect on the draw-down of the fleet and withdrawal of service.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 am

Yawn....

Who cares. Moab and Vernal are dead to OO.

Legend757

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Also of note,

Beginning the end of Mar 2015, AA will start flying some of the SLC-DFW routes on a 738. This along with the addition of the MIA flight on a 738.

I can't remember the last time we have seen any other mainline AA metal at SLC other than the MD-80/83.

Which leads me to another question: Why is it that the combined AA/US can handle a substantial amount of mainline ops out of SLC to destinations like CLT, PHL, MIA, DFW, but UA has cut service to similar destinations like IAD and EWR and provides rather skimpy mainline service to IAH?

Furthermore, why can AA/US operate 5+ daily mainline flights to a destination as saturated as PHX, and 3 to 4 regional flights to LAX, but UA squeezes by with a handful of regional flights to equally saturated DEN & SFO, and only operates 2 regional flights a day to LAX?

Is it product? Connectivity? Lack of focus in SLC because DEN is so close? It just seems to me that the new AA/US will have a impressive operation in SLC in 2015. The PHL is up-gauged to a 321, CLT is a 321, MIA a 738, DFW 6 flights on 738s and MD80s, and healthy regional flights to LAX and ORD.

To be noted however, UA is up-gauging one flight to ORD and DEN to mainline next spring/summer.

SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:05 am

That is a great question. I would think that AA/US have better options for connecting than UA. For example the UA hubs in LAX and SFO are not going to have that many connecting passengers from SLC unless they are flying international, simply because of geography of those two hubs. If a passenger is flying from SLC to either SFO or LAX with no connection, well there are cheaper options to those two airports or alternatives such as OAK and SJC on AS and WN. Also you have to remember that LGB, SNA, BUR, ONT also serves the L.A. area, similar to how SJC and OAK serve the Bay Area and they also have cheaper flights than SFO. As for UA's ORD and IAH hubs, I think the reason for that might be the equipment that UA is using...regional jets. I think the only exception is DEN. AA/US's hubs are located in better areas geographically than UA's. Also AA simply has a better product than UA...we all know UA is actually BLAH Airlines anyways.

I think after DL, AA/US has the second strongest following amongst passengers of any of the airlines at SLC. WN will always have their following at SLC, but even their numbers and destinations are down at SLC. I have always said this, but the title to being the second largest airlines at SLC is up for the taking, and it seems lately that AA/US and AS are making a strong push for the title, while WN is taking steps back.

I would bet and think that AA would begin SLC-JFK service before UA would start SLC-EWR/IAD service again.

SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:27 pm

Does anyone have the passenger count numbers for international flights for SLC?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos