Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Future WestJet U.S. Expansion?

Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:43 pm

What are some potential WS cities in the U.S. that they might fly to? The cities I came up with are..

AUS
BOS
IAH
SAT
SLC
DEN

[Edited 2014-10-12 09:51:07]

ANA787

RE: Future WestJet U.S. Expansion?

Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:53 pm

Of course you added SLC.

According to page 26 of this westjet PDF release, SEA, PDX, MSP, BOS among others are being looked at by westjet encore. Don't know about mainline.

http://www.westjet.com/pdf/investorM...a/Presentation_IR_Deck_Nov2013.pdf

globalflyer

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:45 pm

With the DL codeshare I always thought that ATL would be a nice addition to places like YYC and YVR where DL does not service nonstop would be a nice addition.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

BoeingGuy

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:15 pm

SJC could use a little more Canada service. Oh wait, they don't currently have any service to Canada. I'd like to see WestJet start SJC-YVR/YYZ/YYC.

wedgetail737

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 3):
SJC could use a little more Canada service. Oh wait, they don't currently have any service to Canada. I'd like to see WestJet start SJC-YVR/YYZ/YYC.

Wishful thinking...LOL! Canadian couldn't make it work with a F-28 on the SJC-YVR service. Is true that SJC hasn't seen YVR service since QQ/AA?

wedgetail737

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:34 pm

I would love to see Encore serving SEA to maybe YVR, YYC and possibly YEG. Then maybe a 737-600 or 737-700 to YYZ. That's my wishful thinking!

Miami

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:04 pm

I'd like to see SEA and BOS. I think there's a good possibility.

Quoting globalflyer (Reply 2):
With the DL codeshare I always thought that ATL would be a nice addition to places like YYC and YVR where DL does not service nonstop would be a nice addition.

Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

steex

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:07 pm

Not expansion in terms of a new destination, but I could see WS establishing year-round service to ORD if it does well and perhaps serving additional markets in the future. If WS really wants to become a preferred choice for business travel in eastern Canada, I would think they have to be evaluating the YYZ-ORD market despite the fact that it is already very crowded.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 1):
Of course you added SLC.

According to page 26 of this westjet PDF release, SEA, PDX, MSP, BOS among others are being looked at by westjet encore. Don't know about mainline.

http://www.westjet.com/pdf/investorM...a/Presentation_IR_Deck_Nov2013.pdf

I am surprised you didn't have PDX on that list. Seems like a natural city for them. No connection help on AA or DL really but seems like a natural o&d route.

RWA380

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 5):
I would love to see Encore serving SEA to maybe YVR, YYC and possibly YEG. Then maybe a 737-600 or 737-700 to YYZ. That's my wishful thinking!

Indeed! I think service to SEA is not a natural fit, with competition on every route you mentioned. Look at SEA-YVR (based only on A.net offerings) it has been presented, that DL is suffering on this route, add Westjet to a slaughtered route would just further dilute yields for everyone.

As it was mentioned in this thread earlier, it is Encore that is looking at expansion and PDX & SEA are targeted markets.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 8):
I am surprised you didn't have PDX on that list. Seems like a natural city for them. No connection help on AA or DL really but seems like a natural o&d route

IMO the perfect choice for the entry into the NW, with limited gate space in SEA at peak hours, and an already saturated market ie... SEA-YVR, there is possibly more viable options from PDX than SEA right now, that may very well change at any time however.

NK has been at PDX for years, yet has not indicated thay have any plans to fly to SEA, likely because of the gate situation for one reason at least.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

tyler81190

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:17 pm

What about MCI? AC manages to fill a CRJ daily, their flight to YYZ has horrible domestic connection times, and the fares are outrageously high... WestJet could try to run them out!

steex

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 10):
What about MCI? AC manages to fill a CRJ daily, their flight to YYZ has horrible domestic connection times, and the fares are outrageously high... WestJet could try to run them out!

Never say never, I guess, but I highly doubt we're going to see WS trying to run AC out of small/medium transborder markets that can barely support AC Express. It's not worth the battle when there's very little prize even if they win.

SANFan

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14 pm

As long as folks are listing their wish-lists, I would love to see WS add YVR-SAN. They have had good success connecting YYC with SAN for several years now and I'd love to see them add another route here (in SAN.)

bb

RJNUT

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 10):

i am not sure they "fill " it, but has to be one of the highest yielding North American routes that exists!

steex

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 12):
As long as folks are listing their wish-lists, I would love to see WS add YVR-SAN. They have had good success connecting YYC with SAN for several years now and I'd love to see them add another route here (in SAN.)

Agree with that one - it's still a bit surprising that nobody has managed to make that route work.

brilondon

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:36 pm

If there is no service than maybe there is a reason for that? I believe AC may have tried it in the past but there just is not the demand for it.

For WS to do it I think that they fly to SFO or OAK though so they may cannibalize their own service to western Canada and to fly to YYZ or YUL they may need government approval.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

tom11

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Not that this has a chance of happening...but BDL. BDL is currently under served by overpriced AC. AC manages to fill a bunch of 1900's/DH8s every day to YYZ and YUL...with prices absolutely outrageous. I'd imagine WS could fill one of their Dash-8's to BDL with reasonable prices. WS or PD need to come in and make prices from BDL - Canada more reasonable!

In addition, I think BOS is a good candidate. They already have a lot of Canadian service, so WS is coming into an already saturated market. They could certainly do well, though,

SLCUT2777

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:47 pm

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Thread starter):
SLC

The big holdup for any SLC consideration I've heard is the OO clinginess to YYC, YVR & if they ever bring YEG back. But why not an in-line with DL/WS for YYZ-SLC?
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

omad

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:51 pm

I would like to see them at Houston Hobby (HOU) when the new terminal finishes. Maybe from YYC.

-omad

CdnCactus

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 9):
Indeed! I think service to SEA is not a natural fit, with competition on every route you mentioned. Look at SEA-YVR (based only on A.net offerings) it has been presented, that DL is suffering on this route, add Westjet to a slaughtered route would just further dilute yields for everyone.

YVR - SEA and YVR - PDX? Hmm, most people I know and myself...we just drive right down there!

For personal reasons I'd love to see YVR - SAN, but I'm not holding my breath.

SLCUT2777

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:55 pm

I'll just add that YYC in particular has been a huge $$$ maker for OO over the years, being propped up by lower seat availability than demand. Perhaps OO could get a code-share or inline with WS for SLC-YQL rather than continue to spill U.S. bound passengers south over the border to GTF.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

jmc1975

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Nobody has yet mentioned seasonal YVR-TUS. It's probably just a matter of time.

29erUSA187

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:21 pm

I could see more destinations to SAN. I assume the tourist market would be large from Canada. Maybe YVR? The market has been attempted by AC on an E190. Maybe a 736? I could even see a YYZ flight to compete with AC Rouge.

SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:04 am

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 1):

Of course I did.

lostsound

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:20 am

If they added BOS from YYZ or YHZ that would really help me out on more options for runs home to YYT. I only have Air Canada and United right now. Porter is an option but it's a 3 stop trek home which would be entirely unnecessary.

opethfan

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:18 am

Quoting CdnCactus (Reply 19):
YVR - SEA and YVR - PDX? Hmm, most people I know and myself...we just drive right down there!

I'm sure routes like that would be more for network feed / scope than O&D. Since WS are very quickly building themselves as a network carrier to rival AC, they may feel like poaching some of the US passengers, as well. After all, if DL want to dip into the YVR market, why wouldn't WS want to dip into the SEA market? They seem to be adding codeshares to whoever's willing to offer them, anyway.

For personal reasons I'd love to see YVR - SAN, but I'm not holding my breath.

YVR is the number 1 unserved (int'l) destination from SAN, and it's more than likely in the top 10 total. I have no idea why it isn't offered by anyone right now, and there may even be extra potential from pax who would otherwise fly into LAX (which, with 6 carriers on the YVR-LAX route, must be a bloodbath). WS has YYC service, but hopefully YVR will join that considering some of the other expansions / changes made recently.

Quoting brilondon (Reply 15):
For WS to do it I think that they fly to SFO or OAK though so they may cannibalize their own service to western Canada and to fly to YYZ or YUL they may need government approval.

WS serve SFO already. I don't see why YYZ or YUL service would need gov't approval, considering open skies, or why it would for those airports but not a western one?

I see SJC working for YVR and YYZ because of the tech sector links (YUL has strong tech, too, but WS are notoriously weak there) however a lot may depend on business contracts. The eternal issue, though, is can the right balance of frequencies work out, considering that business travel requires more frequency than WS may be willing to give.

continental004

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:43 am

Wild card: YVR/YYC-ONT?

BD338

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:59 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 17):
Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Thread starter):
SLC

The big holdup for any SLC consideration I've heard is the OO clinginess to YYC, YVR & if they ever bring YEG back. But why not an in-line with DL/WS for YYZ-SLC?

I would love to see WS on SLC-YYC as DL seems to keep a very tight control on capacity and the fares are high. Non refundables are ~$1200 when I'm looking. But with WS a partner with DL and the shortage of gate space at SLC I can't see them starting anytime soon.

DXBDFWHGA

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm surprised that WS does not offer YYC-IAH.

bmacleod

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:11 pm

If there is no service than maybe there is a reason for that? I believe AC may have tried it in the past but there just is not the demand for it.

Agreed. WS has been serving SJC for quite a while now from YYC and seems to be doing well. Don't mess with a good thing as they say...
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

RobertS975

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:15 pm

Quoting tom11 (Reply 16):
In addition, I think BOS is a good candidate. They already have a lot of Canadian service, so WS is coming into an already saturated market. They could certainly do well, though,

Virtually none of the service to Canada from BOS is on mainline aircraft, nor is there any true LCC service. WestJet would do well, especially if it codeshared with DL, gaining access to DL's frequent flyer masses. And presuming that most of the WS service to BOS was from pre-clearance cities in Canada, then WS could fit nicely into some of the vacated gates in terminal A at Logan.

BoeingGuy

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 29):

Agreed. WS has been serving SJC for quite a while now from YYC and seems to be doing well. Don't mess with a good thing as they say...

I'm not aware that WS serves SJC. Do you mean SNA?

AC flew to SJC. 9/11 stopped that. AA flew SJC-YVR 4x/daily at one time. Are you sure there is no demand for it?

thomasphoto60

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Quoting DXBDFWHGA (Reply 28):

They hinted at a DFW and IAH service some 5 or so years back, so far only DFW has seen WS service. Suspect the competition from CO/UA on the YYC run is keeping them at bay (is AC running DFW-YYC to YYZ?). Perhaps when HOU's int'l ops goes online in the Fall of '15', WS might give Houston a shot.
"Show me the Braniffs"

ghYHZ

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Quoting RobertS975 (Reply 30):
Virtually none of the service to Canada from BOS is on mainline aircraft, nor is there any true LCC service. WestJet would do well, especially if it codeshared with DL, gaining access to DL's frequent flyer masses. And presuming that most of the WS service to BOS was from pre-clearance cities in Canada, then WS could fit nicely into some of the vacated gates in terminal A at Logan.

Would love to see a YHZ-BOS WS or Encore route to give AC some competition. Halifax has pre-clearance so an easy connection to DL in BOS.

Funny.....at one time BOS was the major connection point for YHZ passengers into the US northeast with service over the years on DL, Business Express, NW Airlink besides AC. Now everything is to EWR, LGA, PHL and DCA/IAD

AirNovaBAe146

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Not necessarily. Up until last year, a Delta Connection carrier (Pinnacle) was doing BOS-YYZ 3-4 times per day. It had both the DL and WS tag, but did not do too well financially and was cancelled. The last time I took this flight, I had the interesting experience of having booked my ticket thru WS' website, being on a DL airplane, but was receiving AA frequent flyer miles for the trip.

I would suspect WS would consider BOS service with Encore, but they want to make sure they can get more traffic. If DL with all their reach and WS' marketing prowess couldn't fill up a 50-seat CRJ, there is little hope for a 78 seat Q400. I know both AC and Porter do quite well on YYZ/YTZ-BOS, so the demand is there...just a matter of WS tapping into it.

I also can see WS (Encore) taking a look at IAD service from YYZ. Maybe they can try to offer some connections thru some international airlines that fly out of Dulles. No way I can see WS getting DCA slots. BWI would be a wild-card, though unlikely.

EWR may be an airport they consider out of YYZ. JFK is served thru both DL and AA flights - although the WS YYC-JFK flight suspends for the winter months as the slot they had is only valid for roughly the summer months. Does anybody know if YYC-JFK is resuming next year.

I don't think you'll see WS on YYZ-ATL as DL does that, though usually it is a Delta Connection carrier.

YYZ-ORD is done thru a codeshare with American Airlines. MDW might get some consideration, though likely with Encore at first.

Not sure how WS does on YYZ-Myrtle Beach. The service is seasonal and suspends for the winter. Conceivably they could put Encore on it for the winter to keep it year round. Porter does YTZ-MYR so it is within range of the Q400.

WS could also consider YYZ-BTV (Burlington, VT) as a ski destination, to parallel PD's service but with the connections they have thru YYZ.

Out of Toronto - they may add some Florida service in the years to come, although many of the cities they don't reach directly (such as JAX or MLB or DAB) are an easy one-stop connection thru the DL code share (via ATL).

tyler81190

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 13):
i am not sure they "fill " it, but has to be one of the highest yielding North American routes that exists!

I work the flight... it goes out with no more than 2-3 empty seats every day, most days it is booked full or oversold.

brilondon

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 31):

AC flew to SJC. 9/11 stopped that. AA flew SJC-YVR 4x/daily at one time. Are you sure there is no demand for it?

If there is money to be made then somebody would be doing it for sure.

WS does serve LAX from YVR, YEG and YYC and SFO from YYC and YVR.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

tom11

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:30 pm

The service from BOS - YYZ/YTZ is served by AC and PD. AC uses A319's, E190's, and E170's, while PD, obviously, uses DH8D's. AC has 9 flights a day, and PD has 6. This is 15 flights a day. I would say that is a saturated market. WS could do well -- if they came in with low fares, and possibly a codeshare with DL or maybe even B6.

[Edited 2014-10-13 12:38:06]

longhauler

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 36):
If there is money to be made then somebody would be doing it for sure.

And that, in my opinion, says it all.

Airlines today know exactly how many people want to go from A to B every day. That's why I always chuckle at the "How come XX doesn't fly from AAA to BBB?" question we see weekly. The answer very simply is that there isn't enough passengers to warrant a flight from AAA to BBB.

The issue of a monopoly though, brings up a very interesting marketing issue.

When an airline has a monopoly on a route, (a lot more common in Canada, than say in the US), the fares reflect that monopoly. Those fares make it extremely profitable ... but also vulnerable to competition. So an airline usually prices it high enough to make a good profit, but not so high to attract competition. Normally in the end, another airline jumps in ... and the route loses money for both airlines. It becomes a waiting game for the other to call uncle.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Viscount724

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting globalflyer (Reply 2):

If not mistaken, DL operates seasonal (summer) nonstop service ATL-YVR, and far less than daily, probably mainly for Alaska cruise traffic. I doubt there's enough demand for year-round service by any carrier.

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 5):

Why should it work any better now than when Air California and then AA operated it? I remember flying AA YVR-SJC (connecting to LAX) soon after AA acquired Air Cal. The 737-300 was still in Air Cal's livery with AA name decals. The flight was well under half full.

If memory correct, also briefly tried SJC-YYZ nonstop service (also ONT-YYZ) but neither lasted very long.

Quoting DXBDFWHGA (Reply 28):

Going head-to-head against 2 Star Alliance carriers especially to a major Star Alliance hub (and YYC a secondary hub) doesn't seem like a good idea considering that YYC-IAH is a strong business market and most passengers on that route are probably locked into AC/UA frequent flyer programs.

I don't think it makes sense for WS to serve U.S. markets that are hub cities (like IAH/DEN/SLC) unless they're currently under-served.

BoeingGuy

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:22 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 39):
If memory correct, also briefly tried SJC-YYZ nonstop service (also ONT-YYZ) but neither lasted very long.

AC did SJC-YYZ for several years. It was SJC-YOW that was short lived.

legacyins

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:12 am

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 29):

WS does not serve SJC. The only Bay Area airport it serves is SFO and that is seasonal.

toxtethogrady

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 am

WS chose DFW after code-sharing with AA. It's possible they might establish a link to IAH, but it won't be supported by UA.

Bingo1

Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:29 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 6):
I'd like to see SEA and BOS. I think there's a good possibility.

If they go to SEA my guess it will be from YYC. AC, AS and DL already have a combined 17 flights per day between SEA-YVR.

Quoting omad (Reply 18):
I would like to see them at Houston Hobby (HOU) when the new terminal finishes. Maybe from YYC.

Never thought of HOU but that wouldn't be a bad idea. Hou is closer than IAH to refinery row at Texas City, the down town, or the beach.
Planecrzy

BridYYC

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting Bingo1 (Reply 43):
If they go to SEA my guess it will be from YYC. AC, AS and DL already have a combined 17 flights per day between SEA-YVR.

I agree that YYC and YEG are good choices for SEA and I hope they do. I think it's an under-serviced route. I have flown it for years and watched the planes fill up to sold out almost every flight. Why AC only does seasonal direct and not year-round is beyond me.

I do think they could make a case for YVR - SEA as well. WJ has very strong brand loyalty in Western Canada and that would give them an edge over AS and DL. As for AC, I would fly a Q400 over a Dash 8 any day.

wedgetail737

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:12 am

During the summer, AC, AS and DL are in the market. But AC leaves for the off-peak seasons. Would there be enough demand for a 736 on the SEA-YYC route?

FlyingSicilian

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:33 am

Never thought of HOU but that wouldn't be a bad idea. Hou is closer than IAH to refinery row at Texas City, the down town, or the beach.

With preclearance they could fly there now as HOU is designated entry airport with CBP, albeit for private craft, which to my understanding is all that is required (similar to the Aruba flight WN will fly in a few months).
I was told there would be cookies...

c172akula

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 45):
During the summer, AC, AS and DL are in the market. But AC leaves for the off-peak seasons. Would there be enough demand for a 736 on the SEA-YYC route?

If my memory serves back in the early 2000's YYC had SEA service from AS with the 737, think it only lasted one summer or so though.

HPRamper

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 8):
I am surprised you didn't have PDX on that list. Seems like a natural city for them. No connection help on AA or DL really but seems like a natural o&d route.

Forget YVR, too close and too many easy options. YYC-PDX would be perfect. Great tourism options at both ends, and no current nonstop link to compete with. The cities are really quite similar in many ways and while I don't think there would be a lot of high end traffic, WestJet doesn't really seem to care about that as much, and I believe the planes would end up full in any case, be it Encore or mainline 737.

Bingo1

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:29 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 48):
Forget YVR, too close and too many easy options. YYC-PDX would be perfect. Great tourism options at both ends, and no current nonstop link to compete with. The cities are really quite similar in many ways and while I don't think there would be a lot of high end traffic, WestJet doesn't really seem to care about that as much, and I believe the planes would end up full in any case, be it Encore or mainline 737.

Actually AC has one YYC-PDX direct daily. It's usually a CR2 and last time when I flew through Calgary they were boarding beside us and judging by the crowd that day it looked like mostly leisure traffic. At least compared to the flight I was on, YYC-IAH.
Planecrzy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos