SLCSFOPDX
Topic Author

Hip Airports And Airlines?

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Are there more popular airports and airlines that young adults prefer to fly into and use compared to older adults? For example JetStar seems like one of those airlines that tries to lure and market to younger fliers. As well as the LGB airport.

B747forever

RE: Hip Airports And Airlines?

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:17 pm

First airline that spring to my mind is VX.
Work Hard, Fly Right

eaglepower83

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:30 pm

A lot of my young, east coast friends like Delta.
Some of my young friends here around CHI....LUVVVVV Southwest.
The other friends don't care. Whoever's cheaper.
I'm on teAAm AA, ex, UA. And I'm 31.

airportugal310

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting EaglePower83 (Reply 2):
A lot of my young, east coast friends like Delta.

With all due respect, there is nothing truly hip or chic about DL, AA, UA, or any of those large network carriers.

I would think that airlines that are less traveled would fall into that category, more specifically Air Tahiti Nui (implies that you are rich enough to vacation in Tahiti). Maldivian Air Taxi maybe?

Can't think of too many others...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

SCQ83

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Niki, Kulula, Mango.

Viscount724

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:30 am

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Thread starter):
Are there more popular airports and airlines that young adults prefer to fly into and use compared to older adults? For example JetStar seems like one of those airlines that tries to lure and market to younger fliers. As well as the LGB airport.

Icelandair and Air Transat have always been very popular with students and backpackers.

I recall waiting at the gate to board either a BA or AF flight from YYZ about 3 years ago. Icelandair was boarding at the next gate. It didn't look like many passengers were older than about 30.

[Edited 2014-10-13 18:42:01]

Scooter

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:37 am

Without a doubt, VX is popular with young techies here in California.
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

lesfalls

Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:32 am

Defitnetly DY and EZ
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

jetblue777

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:11 am

As for airports, JFK Terminal 5 comes to mind.

As for airlines, as the others have mentioned, definitely VX.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 5):
celandair and Air Transat have always been very popular with students and backpackers.

And until recently, Norwegian. They offer amazing deals to Europe, especially from JFK with nonstop flights to BGO, CPH, ARN, OSL and LGW with an average one way fare of about $300.

jetBlue777   
It's a cultural thing.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:21 am

They did such a nice job on the new LGB terminals. WOW when i got off the plane i couldn't believe trailers to such a cool, total Long Beach modern style! The Hippest airport in america without any doubt.

Not only does this airport look good, but great food from local places at local prices.

http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_fo...erience-at-long-beach-airport.html

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:41 am

Porter Airlines......i have flown them on the very short EWR-Toronto route and loved it. No reason they need jets, its short and excellent. Free Beer and leather seats! Its like a modern business Hip Airline. I know they have just tons of people who commute on the EWR route, what a great airline to have that option. Porter Rocks

flyingfool

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:10 am

I think that you can consider KL being a trendy airline.

[Edited 2014-10-14 02:11:04]

CO 757-300

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:24 am

There is nothing truly 'hip' about these airlines, its just whom they try to speak to in branding and marketing, much of it has to do with the generational shift in purchasing power and planning for the future . However, I think the cases of legacy marketing vs. that of smaller 'boutique' or 'indie' airlines differs slightly.

Legacies like i.e. Delta are using their resources to provide a modernized, crisp, image and product that has been determined by market researchers to attract the so called 'millennial' consumer group, and a generation gradually coming into financial power, with different ideals than previous generations. This group is interested in consuming a product aesthetically and superficially detached from classic hegemonic capitalism. It is generally superficial as they do not ask questions beyond image and branding, they simply do not want their participation in these hegemonic practices to be visually apparent. So as long as it looks 'clean', 'green', and 'urbane', they will have little reservations in consuming this product, no matter the larger ideological practices of said company is. This is also the group who will have a large majority of the spending capital in the coming decades, and hence larger airlines are vying for their loyalty early on. This type of branding also reflects a broader cultural shift of large global cities. Simply put its a hegemonic corporate product, just candy coated to future generations of wealth and urban new money.

The smaller 'boutique' airlines, i.e. VS, VX or B6, are very much a part of the same process, but are appealing to a group which likes to consider themselves slightly more savvy or skeptical of big business. Hence my usage of the term 'indie' above to describe these airlines. Their marketing and product is even more committed to this aesthetic of the contemporary urban 'cool'. This group in general, especially an airline VX or B6 seeks to mimic the fundamental style and imagery of urban bourgeois classes in the (formerly) alternative cultural enclaves of places like SFO, Echo Lake / Downtown LA, Brooklyn NY, ect. They try to appeal specifically to people who are self aware as urban dwelling and 'cool' this reflects their route structure as well, hubs in wealthy liberal cities (SFO, LAX, BOS, NYC), focusing not on the CLE-JAN traveler but the Williamsburg-Miami or LA to PDX one. The yield of the CLE-JAN passenger might be much higher, but that same traveler most likely wouldn't care less about how stylish their experience is, or how legitimizing or identity affirming the experience of travelling on VX would be vs. UA. Again, it is superficial, but the 'underdog' status of these airlines vs. the legacies, also fits perfectly into this mold. In short, the passenger of VX or B6 is not necessarily the valuable 'corporate' client, but the 'rouge' middle income passenger who cares more about the aesthetics of ideology and urban culture, linked inherently to that individuals own self identity. This is a entirely different form of loyalty, not one of FF benefits or status, but one of personal ideals. While the yields might not be as high, they are still able to maintain loyalty in the form of cultural consumption, yet the financial health is sometimes considered uncertain.

I think the process happens in Europe and Asia as well, but the supposed 'hip image' of flag carrying legacies exists instead to delineate itself from the proletarian low cost carries like Easyjet or Ryanair. I could rant about this as well, but I believe this is a more complicated situation linked to instances of passive aggressive forms of nationalism and class hierarchies.

eaglepower83

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:43 pm

If "I" had to choose, I'd choose Midwest Airlines (rust in peace).
They were small, regional, always clean, usually on-time, and everyone got baked cookies on board.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Quoting flyingfool (Reply 11):
I think that you can consider LM Royal Dutch Airlines">KL being a trendy airline.

compared to Porter or Virgin America    nothing about LM seems trendy to me personally.....KLM feels pretty similar to Air France, or Delta or any other large multi national carrier. I would say finnair feels trendier even

seemyseems

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:10 pm

I agree, myself and my friends often fly with KLM, I think the price has a lot to do with that and their social network presence. Plus AMS is a good airport, maybe even 'hip', as it's easy to navigate, has decent stores and stuff to see.
seemyseems in ATL

VCEflyboy

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:56 pm

In my opinion,
hip airline: VS
hip airline wannabe*: AC rouge
hip airport: ZRH is the only that comes to mind, though it might be a stretch. HKG T2 maybe?

*meaning an airline that wants to be hip but failed miserably

[Edited 2014-10-14 16:59:34]

kstateinALB

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 pm

I'd consider DAL to be in the more "hip" category. Maybe because it's modern and new but the amenities at the airport are great!
ALB, DTW, ORD, MDW, MCI, JFK, LGA, LHR, MAD, MSP, IAD, DCA, MCO, ATL, CVG, TUL, MHK, PHL, PIT, DFW, DAL, CLT, IND, AUS,

brilondon

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:28 am

I think of VS as being a hip and trendy airline about 10 years ago but now it is lumped in to the old timers club with AA, UA and BA. I don't see it being trendy. I think in order to be trendy, you need to be able to attract the young traveler who is maybe flying for the first time with a group of their friends. AirTransat seems to be more of a trendy airline. As well as say Norwegian Air shuttle. Airlines with newer aircraft and a perceived youthful feel would be considered hip. Now I don't think that using the term "hip" is hip either. Reminds me of the Association from the 60s era man...
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

fanofjets

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:59 am

Quoting EaglePower83 (Reply 13):

If "I" had to choose, I'd choose Midwest Airlines (rust in peace).
They were small, regional, always clean, usually on-time, and everyone got baked cookies on board.

I was thinking of Midwest as well.

I'll nominate Laker - long live Sir Freddie!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © I Spashett

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ElpinDAB

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 10):
There is nothing truly 'hip' about these airlines, its just whom they try to speak to in branding and marketing, much of it has to do with the generational shift in purchasing power and planning for the future . However, I think the cases of legacy marketing vs. that of smaller 'boutique' or 'indie' airlines differs slightly.

Legacies like i.e. Delta are using their resources to provide a modernized, crisp, image and product that has been determined by market researchers to attract the so called 'millennial' consumer group, and a generation gradually coming into financial power, with different ideals than previous generations. This group is interested in consuming a product aesthetically and superficially detached from classic hegemonic capitalism. It is generally superficial as they do not ask questions beyond image and branding, they simply do not want their participation in these hegemonic practices to be visually apparent. So as long as it looks 'clean', 'green', and 'urbane', they will have little reservations in consuming this product, no matter the larger ideological practices of said company is. This is also the group who will have a large majority of the spending capital in the coming decades, and hence larger airlines are vying for their loyalty early on. This type of branding also reflects a broader cultural shift of large global cities. Simply put its a hegemonic corporate product, just candy coated to future generations of wealth and urban new money.

Ironic, huh? Yea, those "hipsters" are the next consumers, with no irony intended. That's what has influenced is happening...Nothing is new or "Hip"...everything is the same. The only thing is that I really have a tougher time trying to decide whether I have enough time on a layover to visit a place with an "ipad" or just get a fast-food burger...or maybe one of the Delta-owned Cibo buffet's....I dunno, and who does? Really?

Quoting CO 757-300 (Reply 12):
The smaller 'boutique' airlines, i.e. VS, VX or B6, are very much a part of the same process, but are appealing to a group which likes to consider themselves slightly more savvy or skeptical of big business. Hence my usage of the term 'indie' above to describe these airlines. Their marketing and product is even more committed to this aesthetic of the contemporary urban 'cool'. This group in general, especially an airline VX or B6 seeks to mimic the fundamental style and imagery of urban bourgeois classes in the (formerly) alternative cultural enclaves of places like SFO, Echo Lake / Downtown LA, Brooklyn NY, ect. They try to appeal specifically to people who are self aware as urban dwelling and 'cool' this reflects their route structure as well, hubs in wealthy liberal cities (SFO, LAX, BOS, NYC), focusing not on the CLE-JAN traveler but the Williamsburg-Miami or LA to PDX one. The yield of the CLE-JAN passenger might be much higher, but that same traveler most likely wouldn't care less about how stylish their experience is, or how legitimizing or identity affirming the experience of travelling on VX would be vs. UA. Again, it is superficial, but the 'underdog' status of these airlines vs. the legacies, also fits perfectly into this mold. In short, the passenger of VX or B6 is not necessarily the valuable 'corporate' client, but the 'rouge' middle income passenger who cares more about the aesthetics of ideology and urban culture, linked inherently to that individuals own self identity. This is a entirely different form of loyalty, not one of FF benefits or status, but one of personal ideals. While the yields might not be as high, they are still able to maintain loyalty in the form of cultural consumption, yet the financial health is sometimes considered uncertain.

Yea, the tanscon passenger from JFK-SFO has a much better experience than the person going from Scranton-PHL-PHX-PDX. The boutique carrier has prevailed in that market.

I re-emphasize, which markets are more important?
But, should any be neglected?

I have quoted CO 757-300's posts because he said about as much as I could say. This is how things are...ask further questions from CO 757-300's post if you would really like to learn, imo.

normie999

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 am

I've never flown them, but WOW air seems be a self-consciously hip airline. (It tries almost too hard in my opinion.) Check out youtube for their various ad offerings.

JAGflyer

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 10):

Porter's product is good (from what I have heard) however they have always struck me as having a "Look at us, we're so much better than everyone else" vibe. I recall hearing that had Apple products in their lounges/check-in areas just for the look and that they were all running Windows. When I think of Porter, I think of a guy in a suit who thinks he's a hotshot because he's flying from the downtown Toronto office and getting off in Chicago's downtown without having to endure the "torture of flying out of Pearson airport"(sarcasm).
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

oc2dc

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:18 pm

They definitely are active in the house music community. I remember when they opened up a flight from AMS-MIA and they had a dj onboard. I think the flight was specifically for the Ultra Music Festival. You definitely won't see LH or AF doing that...

Also, I don't know that SN would be considered hip, but they certainly go all out for the Tormorrowland Music Festival. They paint one of their A330's in the Tomorrowland scheme and apparently throw parties at all of the airports where passengers are being picked up for Tomorrowland. You definitely won't see middle-aged or elderly people on those flights...

VX without a doubt.
I'm not complaining, I'm critiquing...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos