Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lesfalls
Topic Author

Will LUX Be Served In The Future By One Of The B3?

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 am

LUX doesnt unfourtounatley have any longhaul flights. Does LUX in the future have any hope of having one the the big 3 carriers (EK,QT,ET)?

Lesfalls
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

atal17

RE: Will LUX Be Served In The Future By One Of The B3?

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:09 am

Quoting lesfalls (Thread starter):

Too small a market for ME3. I think TK serves the area very well.

2travel2know2

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:09 am

Is LUX willing to give any of the ME3 (EK for example) 5th freedom traffic rights between LUX and NYC?
NYC probably being LUX most desired long-haul non-stop destination in the Americas.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

B8887

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:10 am

Unfortunately, I do not see this coming.

Although the Greater Region of Luxembourg has a large population of around 2 million within about a 45 minute commute by car and a reasonable diversified economy, I think there are some challenges in many aspects...

Luxembourg is a small city, and the its airport is a small facility.

But then again, who knows...

The only possibility I see is an A320 with QR, although I am not sure if it has the range...

B8887

LH422

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:19 am

My grandmother told me about a flight to the US she took from LUX sometime in the sixties. Was that more common back then?

B8887

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:27 am

Quoting LH422 (Reply 4):
My grandmother told me about a flight to the US she took from LUX sometime in the sixties. Was that more common back then?

I think it must have been Icelandair which served Luxembourg until the early 1990s...

B8887

PanHAM

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:09 am

Quoting LH422 (Reply 4):
My grandmother told me about a flight to the US she took from LUX sometime in the sixties. Was that more common back th

So your grandmother was a flower child. The 60s was that wonderful time when we still had an iron curtain and strict rules on passenger fares. Luxemburg was the haven of de-regulation before that wod was invented. Icelandair could undercut any promotional fare the scheduled carriers were allowed to charge. up to 5 DC8-63s took off from Luxemburg, carrying ackpackers who made their way hitchhiking to Luxemburg from all over Europe. The more well to do had a Eurailpass.

Quoting B8887 (Reply 3):
Luxembourg is a small city, and the its airport is a small facility.

with a 4000 meter runway enough to enable a fully loaded 747 freighter to go full range.
Not sure if there is a bi-lateral between the UAE and Luxemburg, but all ME3 are tough competitors to Cargolux. The ME3 are eating into CV's tonnage already, no need to strenghten the competition even further.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

gabrielchew

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:26 am

Quoting lesfalls (Thread starter):
the big 3 carriers (EK,QT,ET)?

I think you need to study up on your airline codes!

QT = Avianca Cargo
QR = Qatar Airways

ET = Ethiopian
EY = Etihad

As others have said, LUX used to be a wierd low cost hub back in pre-regulation days. Now with a much more open market, the yields at LUX wouldn't be able to support many longhual flights. I guess a 757 to New York is a possibilty, or an A32S from FZ/EY/QR (but all of those are unlikely I think).

FZ = Fly Dubai (the cheaper sister of Emirates)
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

B8887

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:50 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 6):
with a 4000 meter runway enough to enable a fully loaded 747 freighter to go full range.
Not sure if there is a bi-lateral between the UAE and Luxemburg, but all ME3 are tough competitors to Cargolux. The ME3 are eating into CV's tonnage already, no need to strenghten the competition even further.

You are correct about the runway...

We already see a lot of cargo traffic with Cargolux, Jade Cargo, China Airlines Cargo and Qatar Airways Cargo.

I do not know if Emirates SkyCargo is willing to join in.

If one of the ME3 were to open flights to LUX for passengers, it would probably be one of the smallest airports that they serve.

Do not get me wrong... I'd love to see them here.
I just do not know if, from a corporate strategic point of view, it would make sense...

B8887

[Edited 2014-10-14 02:52:27]

SCQ83

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:55 am

Qatar failed with STR via ZRH, so I wonder how they could succeed there for the time being.

PanHAM

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:10 am

Quoting B8887 (Reply 8):
We already see a lot of cargo traffic with Cargolux, Jade Cargo, China Airlines Cargo and Qatar Airways Cargo.

I doubt thjat you see Jade cargo too often these days. China Airlines is a long time tenant of LUX and Qatar Airways , well, Ok, I spare my comment.

Freightwise, EK does not need to be present at LUX, since feight is trucked across europe to departure airports. Closes to LUX EK gets at the moment is HHN with regular sea/air charters.

Passengerwise,the market is by far too small
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

gkirk

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:21 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 10):
Passengerwise,the market is by far too small

I don't know about that, the city of Newcastle only has about 300,000 residents and recieves a daily EK 777-300ER.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

voodoo

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:01 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 6):

Qatar purchased 35% of Cargolux in 2011... then promptly sold that to the Lux. Govt a year later. Since sold on to a Chinese company.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

PanHAM

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 am

Quoting voodoo (Reply 12):

Qatar purchased 35% of Cargolux in 2011... then promptly sold that to the Lux. Govt a year later. Since sold on to a Chinese company.

That is known by a cargo insider like me.   same issue BTW as Air Cargo germany, AB AZ etc . One have the experience already, others will look forward.

Quoting gkirk (Reply 11):
I don't know about that, the city of Newcastle only has about 300,000 residents and recieves a daily EK 777-300ER.

The catchment area is important, not the city numbers. Another important factor is the ethnic background of the population. NCL + catchment certainly has a large number from the Indian sub continent.

LUX has regular services to Portugal for that reason.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos