Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcaord
Topic Author

The Future Of ERJ's

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:16 pm

With so many airlines moving away from the 50-seaters, what does the future hold for the ERJ 140/5's? It's always been one of my absolute favorites between the exceptionally sleek look from the exterior to the single seat on the 'A' side...just a great aircraft. Will be sad to see it go.

L0VE2FLY

RE: The Future Of ERJ's

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:32 pm

Quoting dcaord (Thread starter):
With so many airlines moving away from the 50-seaters, what does the future hold for the ERJ 140/5's?

Unfortunately airlines are moving away from 50-seater jets only, turboprops are doing very well.

It's always been one of my absolute favorites between the exceptionally sleek look from the exterior to the single seat on the 'A' side...just a great aircraft. Will be sad to see it go.

I think they'll make a comeback as soon as the global economy rebounds and fuel prices stabilize.

dcaord
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:35 pm

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 1):
Unfortunately airlines are moving away from 50-seater jets only, turboprops are doing very well.

Really? a 50 seater turboprop Q400 for example is more cost efficient than a 50-seater CRJ 200 or ERJ 145?

How about jets like CRJ 700's? Don't see huge orders for those anymore.

SonomaFlyer

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:40 pm

The regional jet market is focused at 76 seats because that's what the major scope clauses allow. In an era of high fuel prices, airlines want the most cost efficient option and given the high cost of fuel, the 50 seat planes don't make sense any more.

If we got to a point where oil was back down around $60 per barrel, the calculus would be different.

L0VE2FLY

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Quoting dcaord (Reply 2):
Really? a 50 seater turboprop Q400 for example is more cost efficient than a 50-seater CRJ 200 or ERJ 145?

Turboprops are cheaper to operate than comparable jets on certain routes, that's why VA replaced their E-170s with ATR-72s, and AS & WS prefer the Q400 over the CRJs & E-jets.

[Edited 2014-10-14 17:07:44]

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 1):
I think they'll make a comeback as soon as the global economy rebounds and fuel prices stabilize.

US Jet A prices have been stable to declining for three years. If (U.S. flying) ERJs can't make it in this climate they have little future.

Dalmd88

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 am

Wow we have found the one guy that loves the ERJ. You must not be a very large person in any direction. Nothing wrong with that, but for anyone in the six ft range and above or a little on the stout side, not a big fan of the ERJ 145. They can't be retired quick enough.

brilondon

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:12 am

With so many airlines moving away from the 50-seaters, what does the future hold for the ERJ 140/5's? It's always been one of my absolute favorites between the exceptionally sleek look from the exterior to the single seat on the 'A' side...just a great aircraft. Will be sad to see it go.
Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 6):

Wow we have found the one guy that loves the ERJ. You must not be a very large person in any direction. Nothing wrong with that, but for anyone in the six ft range and above or a little on the stout side, not a big fan of the ERJ 145. They can't be retired quick enough.

I hate the ERJ 135/140/145.    This is how I feel on the A side and I don't even have anybody beside me. I am only 5'10" and have a hard time walking in the aisle. I always have to duck to get in to the passenger cabin. The cockpit is even more claustrophobic as I was given the chance to sit in the co-pilot's seat and wondered how they could even sit in that cramped tiny little space for more than a few minutes. Don't even get me started on the toilet area. Those planes should be gone as soon as possible. I even have nightmares about flights over 2 hours and yes I have been on one for over 4 hours. I hate those pieces of effluvium. Good riddance I say.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

dcaord
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:17 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 7):
I hate the ERJ 135/140/145.    This is how I feel on the A side and I don't even have anybody beside me. I am only 5'10" and have a hard time walking in the aisle. I always have to duck to get in to the passenger cabin. The cockpit is even more claustrophobic as I was given the chance to sit in the co-pilot's seat and wondered how they could even sit in that cramped tiny little space for more than a few minutes. Don't even get me started on the toilet area. Those planes should be gone as soon as possible. I even have nightmares about flights over 2 hours and yes I have been on one for over 4 hours. I hate those pieces of effluvium. Good riddance I say.

I don't recall my post asking for personal opinions on the aircraft.

CIDFlyer

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:04 am

compared to the CRJ-200 the ERJ 145 is a dream, big windows and I always love the A side as well. They will still be around for some smaller markets (think of Grand Island NE, Garden City KS, Roswell NM out of DFW) but markets that are more medium size that currently see them (CID/MSN/PIA/PNS) etc will probably be switched over to larger 70-76 seat jets. CID is already seeing CR7's on DFW/ORD on AA.

Boeing778X

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am

Wow we have found the one guy that loves the ERJ.

Count me in! The -145XRs are a blast to ride in!
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

mhkansan

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:29 am

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 10):

Me too! I love the larger RJs but you really can't complain about the 145 series. Get rid of those CR2s!

Boeing778X

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:48 am

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 11):
I love the larger RJs but you really can't complain about the 145 series

On no, it's a great aircraft! I really hope the XRs stay for awhile.

but for anyone in the six ft range and above or a little on the stout side

I'm thin and relatively tall, and -145s fit me nicely.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

bjorn14

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:15 am

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 10):

I love them too but like previous posters said the price of oil has to come down. I love their ability to do long, thin routes. The future for them is 135 charters or Coke cans. I especially like the 135....feels like my own private jet when not too crowded. There are about 200 Es parked in the desert right now.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

seahawk

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:18 am

Not much future. The 50 seat jets will be gone sooner than later. When fuel prices rise they will get even more pressure, when the next gen regional jets arrive, we will probably have 70+ seaters with lower trip costs than those ERJs.

icna05e

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Quoting dcaord (Reply 8):

Why being so aggressive? Because one doesn't share your opinion? Because that's exactly what you did opening this thread: you gave your opinion.
And I understand: hard to stay factual about something that's only just starting to happen...

As for me I hope they find a way to not be parked. Embraer or any other company could come up with the business plan to refit them as bizjets (i feel like it's already been tried but can't figure why it would fail). Imagine a much more capable aircraft for about the price of a new Citation.
As an atco, though they're a pain in an airspace full with A320's and 737's, its still way easier than dealing with a Citation!

OB1504

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:13 am

Quoting dcaord (Reply 2):

The Q400 is a 70-seater, and yes, by leaps and bounds. On shorter routes, there's no time saved by operating an RJ instead of a turboprop, but the RJ will guzzle much more fuel than its propeller counterpart.

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 9):
compared to the CRJ-200 the ERJ 145 is a dream, big windows and I always love the A side as well.

If it has to be an RJ, make it an ERJ. The E Jets are also much nicer than the CRJ700/900 and don't even feel like a regional jet anymore.

The 50-seat jet fad appears to be ending as airlines are coming to their senses and remembering that there's a reason why some markets used to be all-prop.

brilondon

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:25 am

Quoting dcaord (Reply 8):

Hey you opened up this thread and now you don't like people responding to your posts? Why did you state what you did? If you look at other posts and threads, this is how these forums work. If you don't want my opinion you should not have started this thread.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos