www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-a.../1620482-i-wish-ana-would-fly.html

NRT-AMS/PDX/IST are rumored for 2015.

I could see NH knocking DL off PDX-NRT.

IST: star alliance hub

AMS: big with Japanese tourists

SLCSFOPDX

RE: Rumor: ANA To AMS, PDX, IST Next Year

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:44 am

How much more international service can PDX actually take on before there is too much?

DL flies to NRT already, as well as to AMS. Icelandair, Condor, Volaris, Air Canada, and Alaska already offer a good amount of international flying from PDX.

BoeingGuy

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:45 am

ANA in PDX wouldn't surprise me one bit. I've kind of been expecting it actually.

How is SJC doing? Is that route safe long term?

SLCSFOPDX

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 am

The SJC-NRT flight is here to stay.

Aaron747

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:52 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 2):
ANA in PDX wouldn't surprise me one bit. I've kind of been expecting it actually.

Me too.

IST also makes a lot of sense - not only from the hub standpoint, but with Turkey increasingly being one of the top destinations for well-heeled Japanese travelers wanting adventure.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Freshside3

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:06 am

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Reply 3):

No surprise here......the South Bay is obviously a tech capital.....but also has a large Japanese population(probably the largest non-Latin ethnic group there).

787pdx

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:09 am

I feel that an end to the DL PDX-NRT is imminent. With DL moving all Asia international opts out of SEA, the PDX flight seems to fly in the face of DL's overall strategy right now. I've never quite understood DLs PDX international operations. It seems to be an exception to DL hub to hub strategy in terms of international flying. BOS may be the exception. AS on the PDX end must help to a certain extent. I think the best fit for PDX Asia flights is KE. They just don't have the right aircraft. PDX-AMS is too good to give up for DL, however I could see them consolidating operations for Asian flights in SEA. If that's the case, ANA is the winner. Perfect aircraft, better product, and they can be the only show in town. If DL axes AMS, then BA is a winner if they're first in line. Perhaps PDX could see the same think happen as AUS?

MAH4546

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:13 am

Quoting freshside3 (Reply 5):
but also has a large Japanese population(probably the largest non-Latin ethnic group there).

Probably most definitely not, nor even close to being the largest, in the South Bay or any region of the U.S.
a.

TWA772LR

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:20 am

PDX is kind of weird.

Could we possibly see HND-IAH or NRT-AUS?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TK787

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:30 am

It would be nice to see ANA at IST.

Freshside3

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:33 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 8):
AUS is a tech capital, and it is also one of the fastest growing cities in the USA.......I can see NH doing well with NRT-AUS.....kind of the "mirror image" or "bookend" to BA's LHR-AUS., if you will, the gateway to the continent.

[Edited 2014-10-14 21:36:08]

ANA787
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:41 am

PDX is kind of weird.

There are extensive business and cultural ties between Oregon and Japan. Oregon and Portland are well known in Japan.

A nice write up from the Japanese Consulate in Portland:
http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/in...hy_japanese_companies_like_do.html

According to the article there are now 110 Japanese companies near Portland and growing.

Japan is Oregon's largest trading partner with exports to Japan booming, most recently increasing 20% year over year.

Japanese companies prefer to send their employees via the flag carrier. Perhaps ANA is taking notice.

fxramper

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:36 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 9):

If NH goes to IST, could we see the return of UA to IST on a 787?

northwestEWR

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:21 am

Quoting 787pdx (Reply 6):

Delta has a history on PDX-Asia, having run their transpacific hub in PDX up until 1997 on MD-11s and finally dropping the last two routes, PDX-NGO and PDX-NRT in March 2001.

Northwest stepped up to the plate in the summer of 2004 and restarted PDX-NRT on the A330-200. Of course now Delta is back on the route via NW after accepting a $3.5 million subsidy for the route in 2010.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see the route transfer to NH but at the same time DL has kept it on/off for a LONG time, the market is theirs to lose and I don't see people making the trek up to SEA (or LAX) just to keep flying DL if they pull out after NH starts.

Has NH ever served AMS?? That seems like a big market not to serve.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

RWA380

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:37 am

PDX is kind of weird

So you've been here ....

Quoting SLCSFOPDX (Reply 1):

How much more international service can PDX actually take on before there is too much?

DL flies to NRT already, as well as to AMS. Icelandair, Condor, Volaris, Air Canada, and Alaska already offer a good amount of international flying from PDX.

DL is the only carrier that flies daily to another continent with both AMS & NRT, AS & AC connect a couple big cities up North to PDX, Y4 is already going 3x weekly from an initial 2x weekly, FI is 2x weekly, DE is 2x weekly both just seasonally & AS to SJD & PVR is 1x daily (3xweekly PVR, 4xweekly SJD) is seasonal also. There is room, BA I hope.

the PDX flight seems to fly in the face of DL's overall strategy right now

Indeed the topic has been discussed here before, and there are two different schools of thought, but I don't know if DL will cut a route that is working, I'm pretty sure DL will not add any non-hub flights to PDX, like HNL.

With DL moving all Asia international opts out of SEA

DL is only operating some of their Asia network from SEA, there are flights from several other US gateways.

I've never quite understood DLs PDX international operations.

Up until DL started their SEA build up, the routes made sense, they were profitable routes from the NW years. There is a decent amount of O/D from Oregon to Japan, there are strong business ties.

It seems to be an exception to DL hub to hub strategy in terms of international flying

Both SEA & PDX flights that were inherited from NW were originally odd routes for DL, but they make money or DL would jump out, like the HND route.

I think the best fit for PDX Asia flights is KE.

With KE just up the road in SEA & AS having a partnership with them, it makes little sense unless KE is capturing a lot of PDX origin traffic & their SEA flight is already doing well, even with the loss of PDX origin traffic.

PDX-AMS is too good to give up for DL,

It is their only direct flight from PDX to a skyteam hub in Europe, which is the only reason it works so well.

I could see them consolidating operations for Asian flights in SEA.

I could see that happening if traffic via the SEA hub doesn't rise as projected, or one of the routes starts losing money.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

SurfandSnow

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:58 am

Quoting ANA787 (Thread starter):

I could see this happening too. Even though UA isn't what it used to be at PDX, there is probably still a decent local Star Alliance FFer base that NH could benefit from.

When NW began PDX-NRT in 2004, it offered connectivity beyond NRT to BKK, GUM, HKG, ICN, MNL, NGO, PEK, PUS, PVG, SIN, SPN, and TPE. Today, the only onward connections DL offers at NRT (on its own metal) are rather secondary in nature: BKK, GUM, MNL, PVG, ROR, SIN, SPN, and TPE. Key Asian destinations like HKG, ICN and PEK are now reached via SEA rather than NRT. I should note that NRT-HKG is currently still operating, but as announced back in July this service will be ending on October 26th. I daresay DL's NRT-PVG probably won't be around much longer either now that SEA-PVG is up and running. PDX-NRT is the only route DL flies between a continental U.S. spoke and NRT, and as NRT sees dwindling intra-Asia connectivity on DL and increasing competition from HND overall, this route's days may be numbered - NH or otherwise.

IST: star alliance hub

I see that Turkish Airlines has been serving Japan for 25 years, so there is must be a lot more O&D than I would have thought, but is there really enough to support NH on top of the existing TK services? This seems far less likely than NRT-AMS or NRT-PDX, if only because UA's recent unsuccessful stint at EWR-IST shows how hard it is for long haul carriers - even those in the Star Alliance - to make IST work. TK would still be a competitor, and a very lean, mean one at that. Moreover, there has been a huge increase in service between Japan and the Middle East in recent years thanks to Persian Gulf carrier expansion, so many connections beyond IST would face aggressive competition.

I'm very surprised to see that neither JL nor NH fly to AMS at all, although given the established KL presence I wonder if a major Star hub like ZRH (itself a key business market and popular leisure destination) or niche route like ARN or BRU might be an even better bet for NH.

In addition to these 3 potential routes, I see all kinds of intercontinental expansion opportunities for NH from NRT - ARN, AUS, BRU, EWR, LAS, YUL, and ZRH spring to mind.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

factsonly

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:03 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 13):
Has NH ever served AMS?? That seems like a big market not to serve.

The answer is 'No' NH has never served AMS, as AMS has been a daily JAL B747 destination for many decades (and a B777 for a short while), until the bankruptcy of JAL led to the suspension of the NRT-AMS route. Today only Nippon Cargo flies scheduled freighters NRT-AMS. NH has been codesharing from Japan to AMS over Star hub FRA on LH for a number of years now.

Since the JAL departure, KLM has made a killing on the NL-Japan route, going 2x daily AMS-NRT in summer and opening AMS-FUK now 4x/week and operating AMS-KIX daily. There are quite a number of business ties and lots of tourists travel between Japan and the Netherlands. NL happens to be the oldest continuous trading partner of Japan (since April 1600), the Dutch had a 200 year monopoly on Japan foreign trade, until the 1853 opening of the Japanese economy.

NH must be looking at the Japan-NL market, believing the market to be ready for some competition.

It probably is.

KarelXWB

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:02 am

AMS will probably be served with the 787:

RUMOR: ANA 787 To AMS Next Year (by KarelXWB Sep 2 2014 in Civil Aviation)
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Aaron747

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:03 am

No surprise here......the South Bay is obviously a tech capital.....but also has a large Japanese population(probably the largest non-Latin ethnic group there).

Not exactly a Japanese population - the South Bay has a large nisei population (Japanese-Americans). This is not at all the same as actual Japanese people.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Carpethead

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Not the only reason. There has to some semblance of premium traffic and cargo to make such long-haul runs work.
I would have though BRU would come first since nobody is on that route and being a Star hub at both ends.

SCQ83

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:19 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 15):
Moreover, there has been a huge increase in service between Japan and the Middle East in recent years thanks to Persian Gulf carrier expansion, so many connections beyond IST would face aggressive competition

Japan-Europe via ME3 VS TK is way longer. I.e. NRT-BCN (unserved non-stop):

NRT-IST-BCN 6993 mi
NRT-DXB-BCN 8188 mi

Also TK serves way more secondary destinations in Europe.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:24 pm

With a focus on SEA and the shrinking of connections at NRT, DL leaving PDX-NRT would not at all surprise me. Looks like a perfect 787 route for ANA. Also better connection options for PDX passengers. I can totally see them taking over the route

Thenoflyzone

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Heard on another thread that the route is struggling. So which is it?
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

FlyingSicilian

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 7):
Probably most definitely not, nor even close to being the largest, in the South Bay or any region of the U.S.

I see older census data but it seems they would be for HNL correct?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

AirFiero

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 22):

I hadn't seen that. Do you recall which thread?

Thenoflyzone

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:28 pm

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 24):
Hainan Airlines' New Routes In 2015 (by juukeihc Oct 9 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Reply 38
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

BoeingGuy

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 22):

What thread did you see that the route is struggling?

lxa333

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Whats the demand between Tokyo and Istanbul? Enough demand for TK and ANA? Either way TK still has a few routes that they can introduce within Europe to help boost seat demand for ANA especially with connections next summer. SPU and DBV come to mind. Croatia is a popular destination for Japanese Tourists.
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

LJ

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:41 pm

NRT-AMS/PDX/IST are rumored for 2015.

Depends on when in 2015 you mean. AFAIk no slots requested for W14 and none in the pipeline for S15 yet, though they still have a month to request slots. Moreover, wasn't the rumour for HND-AMS?

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 19):
I would have though BRU would come first since nobody is on that route and being a Star hub at both ends.

There are much more Japanese companies in The Netherlands than in Belgium (and many are located around AMS), thus from an economic point of view there is more potential ex AMS than ex BRU.

[Edited 2014-10-15 11:43:20]

[Edited 2014-10-15 11:44:02]

AirFiero

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 25):
Quoting AirFiero (Reply 24):
Hainan Airlines' New Routes In 2015 (by juukeihc Oct 9 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Reply 38

Thanks. Now if I could just find out where the other guy got it from.

PW100

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Quoting LJ (Reply 28):
Moreover, wasn't the rumour for HND-AMS?

Wouldn't that be possible only if KLM gets HND slots?
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

LJ

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Quoting PW100 (Reply 30):
Wouldn't that be possible only if KLM gets HND slots?

AFAIK The Netherlands does have a daily night time slot (the horrendous 2200 - 0700 slots) for a Dutch operator. Needless to say KLM doesn't want them anymore as AF has two daily day time slots at HND.

kaitak744

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:21 pm

If one is trying to travel between San Jose and Tokyo, I wonder if it is easier to fly SFO-HND or SJC-NRT?
The travel time to SFO from SJC is probably shorter than traveling from NRT to HND.

lhpdx

Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 pm

ANA would be a nice addition to PDX!

Freshside3

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:38 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 18):
Not exactly a Japanese population - the South Bay has a large nisei population (Japanese-Americans). This is not at all the same as actual Japanese people.

Bottom line is, many go to Japan on a regular basis.

Freshside3

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Quoting kaitak744 (Reply 32):
If one is trying to travel between San Jose and Tokyo, I wonder if it is easier to fly SFO-HND or SJC-NRT?
The travel time to SFO from SJC is probably shorter than traveling from NRT to HND.

You may be right on this. Not all that familiar with the situation on Tokyo ground traffic.

On the other side of the coin, there are often backups on highway 101....

Viscount724

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:33 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 12):
Quoting TK787 (Reply 9):

If NH goes to IST, could we see the return of UA to IST on a 787?

I don't see any connection between NH service to IST and UA. Nobody would ever fly U.S.-Japan via IST.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 20):
Japan-Europe via ME3 VS TK is way longer. I.e. NRT-BCN (unserved non-stop):

NRT-IST-BCN 6993 mi
NRT-DXB-BCN 8188 mi

For most non-business passengers (and even many business travellers) these days, low fares are a higher priority than the shortest routing. EK/EY/QR fares are often lower than other carriers even for much longer routings.

TK787

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:29 am

Quoting lxa333 (Reply 27):
TK still has a few routes that they can introduce within Europe to help boost seat demand for ANA especially with connections next summer.

TK already serving 102 destinations in 41 countries in Europe.

MAN2SIN2BKK

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:15 am

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 15):
In addition to these 3 potential routes, I see all kinds of intercontinental expansion opportunities for NH from NRT - ARN, AUS, BRU, EWR, LAS, YUL, and ZRH spring to mind.

Another route they should seriously be looking at with the 787 is NRT-MAN

Carpethead

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Quoting LJ (Reply 28):
There are much more Japanese companies in The Netherlands than in Belgium (and many are located around AMS), thus from an economic point of view there is more potential ex AMS than ex BRU.

Thanks for the info. I just thought that there would be a fair amount of business/diplomatic travel between the EU capital and Tokyo.
Maybe not.

SCQ83

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 36):
For most non-business passengers (and even many business travellers) these days, low fares are a higher priority than the shortest routing. EK/EY/QR fares are often lower than other carriers even for much longer routings.

It is not like Turkish does not offer low-fares. I don't understand why it is common assumption that whenever the ME3 enter a route, they kill competition and offer always the lowest price, which is not always the case, particularly with Turkish which must be the king of flooding the market with cheap fares in some routes. What about those famous IST-USA-IST for $500 ai?

And bear in mind that if you are travelling from Valencia or Toulouse to Tokyo, you need an additional flight (even if EK interlinks with many Euro majors) or train/car which adds up to the cost.

burnsie28

Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Except there are a lot of business contracts that Delta holds out of PDX on this route.

Robbie86

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:12 pm

Do you think we will ever see NH do a HND/NRT-ARN route? Could be a good completion to SK's CPH-NRT.

DolphinAir747

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 18):

But SJC has enough Vietnamese and Indians who can connect at NRT

lxa333

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 37):
TK already serving 102 destinations in 41 countries in Europe.

Mentioned maybe seasonal frequency to Croatian Coastline. SPU or DBV.
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

Carpethead

Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Quoting robbie86 (Reply 42):
Do you think we will ever see NH do a HND/NRT-ARN route?

Didn't NH serve ARN long, long-time ago? Sorry, I am too lazy to check.
787 is again the right kind of plane if its ever to (re) start.

ARN

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:06 am

@Carpethead

Only as a code-share on SK:s flights, at that time, ARN-NRT and ARN-KIX.

ANA787
Topic Author

Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:58 pm

I see the PDX situation turning out so:

1. NH announces PDX-NRT.
2. DL stops flying PDX-NRT.
3. DL moves the PDX-NRT frame over to start PDX-ICN due to DL and KE supposedly creating joint venture. The distance is very similar and can run nearly identicle times PDXNRT PDXICN.

This way DL would still have it's foot in the PDX-Asia market and would still support all the nonstop Asia contracts DL has with the companies around Portland. And would also give access to skyteam hub at ICN.

NH would quickly gobble up all the Japanese company contracts around portland (110+ companies) as Japanese usually always send their employees via a Japanese carrier.

[Edited 2014-10-18 16:10:29]

I don't remember who I heard it from but back when NW was running PDX-NRT it was noted that UA/star alliance still flew more passengers to Asia from PDX. They all transferred via SFO, SEA, LAX, YVR. Now that UA is no longer operating PDX-LAX/SEA and the number of PDX-SFO flights on UA has been halved, I think there is now a real reason for NH(star alliance) to jump into the PDX-Asia market.

[Edited 2014-10-18 16:59:44]

BlatantEcho

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:49 pm

I actually think ANA has it pretty well dialed.

While I am nervous that PDX can support 2x Asian flights, if one of them is going to ICN, that seems like a no brainer to me. Can't lose.

I can't see 2x PDXNRT flights working, but NRT and ICN? I think that makes sense and is potentially viable long term.

RWA380

Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:19 am

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 47):
and the number of PDX-SFO flights on UA has been halved,

Check out UA.com, there are 9 daily departures in March on UA PDX-SFO, UA is trying to route most of their passengers through there, By March 2015, PDX-IAD is not operating, EWR is 1x daily, 4x daily to DEN (2 of those flights on CR2s) 2 flights to ORD & IAH each, it looks like a shell of former UA service at PDX, and most connecting UA passengers are going via SFO.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos