cougar15
Topic Author

German Aviation Thread 1

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Guten Abend,
all over this wonderful Website, we have Country related threads! Being a german born Australian, who always enjoys the various Country related threads, I am wondering why nobody has ever started a ´deutschen´/German Thread for regular contribution?
why is this the case, we have so much to talk about in Deutschland?

So, either you shoot me, laugh at me or maybe we can start something new on local issues?

may I suggest the following Topics for us to discuss (and please, do feel free to add) as a starter?

- AB/Air Berlin and their EY/Etihad Joint jenture, first the LBA denied 45 codeshares, only to turn back a week later and approve them for a limited time (after the Sh.tsorm they faces, both from politics, lobbiysts and various others...)
- Recent (and ongoing) strikes, be they Germanwings or LH related, what are your views?
- Air Cargo Germany, what went wrong, what went right, was the LBA fair.......? (AB???) what do we think of the new ´Air Cargo Global..'??
- FRA Airport. Night curefews, right or wrong, how does this Impact an economy so dependant on exports?
- MUC. 3rd runway.........
- Zweibruecken/Saarbruecken... was denken wir.... what are your thoughts?
- Germania... recent Management reshuffle & their ongoing issues, routes, strategies?
- ME3 and their Impact on Germany
- LH fleet, lots of odballs, but a sucessful Airline with global Standing
- ... and so on and so forth.... etc etc

I will leave it up to you, please feel free to add/contribute subjects, and do comment if this site perhaps needs a regular german thread to which I welcome you all to contribute !
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
some you lose, others you can´t win!

SpaceshipDC10

RE: German Aviation Thread # 1?

Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Thread starter):
I am wondering why nobody has ever started a ´deutschen´/German Thread for regular contribution?

And how do you name that?  German Aviation Thread (part2) (by B777Neuss Mar 17 2008 in Civil Aviation)
German Aviation Thread (part 1?) (by WILCO737 Dec 27 2007 in Civil Aviation)
German Aviation Thread: Part 1 (by TommyBP251b Apr 26 2007 in Civil Aviation)
German Aviation Thread (by Columba Jun 20 2006 in Civil Aviation)

cougar15
Topic Author

Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:43 pm

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 1):
And how do you name that?

cheers mate, but don´t times move on? The last one is almost 7 years old! forgive me for trying again    

fraspotter

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:36 am

Been looking for a recent update on the progress of FRA's upcoming Terminal 3. Coming up on 10 years that the US Airbase across the airfield from FRA has been closed. The results that come up in google are either in German or years old.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

uberflieger

Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:49 am

Guten Abend

Guten Morgen  
Dude, great initiative with hopefully lots of contributions!

Quoting Fraspotter (Reply 3):
looking for a recent update on the progress of FRA's upcoming Terminal 3

I'm linking a recent thread about the possible design.
FRA New Terminal 3 (by lh526 Sep 17 2014 in Civil Aviation)

lhrnue

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:02 am

I like the idea and would like to add Nuremberg.

After having invested heavily in their infrastructure (terminal, boarding bridges, security, parking, metro) to support the 2x weekly AB hub, NUE is now fighting massive dept while pax numbers decline.
Wouldn't NUE be a good destination for the ME3 carriers? It is placed pretty much in the middle between MUC and FRA with good infrastructure connections to both cities (Autobahn and ICE train). It might not be a destination for premium heavy aircraft's but could pick up leisure traffic ... while the presence of companies like Siemens or the toy industry in the region should still generate some business travel, especially to Asia.

I am aware that the ME3 carriers have restricted rights in Germany, but I never heard that they are interested in NUE in the first place. Could be a AB flight between NUE and AUH be a viable connection?

What are your thoughts.

stylo777

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:07 am

Guten Abend,
all over this wonderful Website, we have Country related threads! Being a german born Australian, who always enjoys the various Country related threads, I am wondering why nobody has ever started a ´deutschen´/German Thread for regular contribution?
why is this the case, we have so much to talk about in Deutschland?

So, either you shoot me, laugh at me or maybe we can start something new on local issues?

very good move, dankeschoen!

ME3 and their Impact on Germany

impact on Germany is debatable, but the impact on LH had lead to the drop of the FRA-AUH route after winterschedule 2014/15. At the end of the day economics play a great role and most probably they are going to use that aircraft somewhere else to earn money.

MD80

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:18 am

Pilots of Lufthansa hold for another strike scheduled from Monday to Tuesday. Flights operated by the Airbus A320-family, Boeing 737 and Embraer-aircraft will be affected.
Dedicated to the MD-80, MD-90, MD-95, and DC-9: www.MD-80.com

PanHAM

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:33 am

Wonderful, so my neighbur has even more time to look after his 4 cars. The train drivers end their strike at 4 am tomorrow morning and the plane drivers take over volley.

There must be a way to break that company, now let's try harder, 2 days in a row.

I hope that the public opinion will swing over from sympathy to "oh no, not them again".
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 2):
but don´t times move on?

Howfully fast!  
Quoting cougar15 (Reply 2):
forgive me for trying again

You are very easily forgiven, if it ever was necessary.   Germany deserves to have its own thread, especially with the never ending story of BER but also due to the evolution of its different players in the field.

cougar15
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Quoting lhrnue (Reply 5):
After having invested heavily in their infrastructure (terminal, boarding bridges, security, parking, metro) to support the 2x weekly AB hub, NUE is now fighting massive dept while pax numbers decline.
Wouldn't NUE be a good destination for the ME3 carriers?

Thank you all for the contributions, perhaps we can (re) make something of a 'DE' thread ,I feel it is long overdue, given the very dynamic aviation Scene here!
Now, NUE, one of my favourites, as my employer operates ´F´ s´´ in there almost daily! A great Airport, top Service Levels, most flexible Management when you Need to do ´crazy things´ for contingency operations , but at the end of the day, restricted to single RW operations (and it´s not the longest) & limited scope for potential Expansion!
Don´t get me wrong, the potential catchment area is superb, we may even ´steal´ 1 or 2 PAX from MUC, but at the end of the day, capacity and capabilities are & will remain limited. Does that mean the ME3 should not come? Heck no, an A33X,787 or A350 will be fine & full out of NUE , but then of course there are the issues with traffic rights and just how many ports in DE these guys are able to serve!
NUE-AUH,DXB,DOH.... (and the world thereafter...) I would take the flights tomorrow!

cougar15
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Quoting stylo777 (Reply 6):
impact on Germany is debatable, but the impact on LH had lead to the drop of the FRA-AUH route after winterschedule 2014/15. At the end of the day economics play a great role and most probably they are going to use that aircraft somewhere else to earn money

I have to let my Pants down now, Company policy dictates that I take the cheapest of 3 for longhaul flying! Of course, travelling to Australiasia, LH was not the cheapest Option, so, as to be expected, I end up on EY! I guess those are the realities today, and I don´t blame LH one bit. AUH made no Commercial sence, it´s only purpose was to ´pester´ AB/EY!
As far as I am concerned, this decission made total Commercial sence! LH is a strong brand with HUGE brand value! Yes, they will loose a few feathers in their ruffles with the ME3, but one of very few brands (and this is my humble personal opinion only of course), who wll survive the current ´butcher shop´scenarion due to those very brand values & Standards appeciated all over this world!
Does ´made in Germany´ still pull, I think yes!

[Edited 2014-10-19 13:04:51]

Luftfahrer

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:30 pm

I am wondering why nobody has ever started a ´deutschen´/German Thread for regular contribution?

Thanks for taking up to it. I have been wondering for years why there have been only few of those dedicated country threads when it comes to German aviation. I think there is a lot to discuss, so let's try to keep this one alive for a while.  

AB/Air Berlin and their EY/Etihad Joint jenture

Good news from (and for) STR: AB starting AUH on Dec 1st. Wonder what aircraft they are going to use? Should be within range for the A320 family, but could possibly do with an A330 if there are some viable connections offered on either end?

http://www.flughafen-stuttgart.de/da...lich-mehr-passagiere-im-3-quartal/
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

cougar15
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 pm

What do we think of the current Lufty strikes, it is getting a bit much about now and whilst I have simpathy for the pilots and their concerns, there must be other ways of dealing with this. LH has to face facts & bring down costs, as does AF for that matter, but it seems the pilots are not really seeing the economic realties of todays LCC enviroment and the impact this has on legacies. Add to that that current actions ae not doing LH anygood at all in regards to brand reputation. what are your views?

theearlybird

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:07 am

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 12):
Good news from (and for) STR: AB starting AUH on Dec 1st. Wonder what aircraft they are going to use? Should be within range for the A320 family, but could possibly do with an A330 if there are some viable connections offered on either end?

STR-AUH will be operated by an A320 - D-ABNJ. It will be former Niki OE-LER (incl. Sharklets) and the bird is currently undergoing reconfiguration from Y180 to C12Y132 at AUH (besides a C-check). On a sidenote OE-LEL (without Sharklets) will be the frame for VIE-AUH and is reconfigured to C12Y132 at AUH now as well before starting the route on 24NOV.

According Etihad´s James Hogan AB will start HAM-AUH in summer 2015. Rumours have it this will be an A332 due to range requirements and expected cargo volume.

MD80

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:29 am

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 13):
Add to that that current actions ae not doing LH anygood at all in regards to brand reputation. what are your views?

IMO one of the last values of Lufthansa is their brand but the reputation suffered steadily. All the other aspects (well-trained pilots, good maintenance, safety) are IMO no longer the biggest tools to generate new passengers. Most other airlines do exactly the same: Flying from A to B. Pilots are no longer heroes because of their ability to operate a Super Constellation over between Africa and South America.

Retaining the brand would be one of my major concerns.

---

Are there any news about the short-term effects of the problems at Lufthansa and increased load-factors of Air Berlin? I can imagine that bookings for Air Berlin increased because they are operating normally.

cougar15
Topic Author

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Quoting MD80 (Reply 15):
Are there any news about the short-term effects of the problems at Lufthansa and increased load-factors of Air Berlin? I can imagine that bookings for Air Berlin increased because they are operating normally.

Indeed I read somewhere that their bookings are on the ´upside´, but because it is all so shortterm, they rarely have the capacity to satisfy the extra demand! Even These new bus Operators we now have in DE are reporting an increase of bookings between 3-6 percent!

But, I am still (and maybe provocating here!!) interested in ´how it all can go on' ?? Back to my example, AF Pilots striked for weeks to prevent Transavia France growing and of course the Lufty Boys are not at all impressed by the 'wings´ concept.
BUT - and that´s a big but, do the european Legacies like LH & AF really have any other choice to maintain market share with the onslaught of the LCC´s (and perhaps even the ME3´s with their lower labour costs and social bennefits) ?
Are the pilots being resonable or do they Need to - regetably in their view of course - embrace the Change and move with the times, market conditions, consumer choices & economic climate?
whattcha all think??
And on that note, great to hear that STR will be having a AUH Connection, but is this not just another small ´nail in the coffin´ for our much loved Lufty, who are about to cease AUH Sertvices for those very reaons? and what did I read, HAM is on the ´EY´ list now aswell?

It continues to baffle me that EK (and now EY) can fill widebodies out of the likes of DUS! I have a conflict of interest here, Company policy Forces me to use the ME3 from These very ports, as they are the cheapest Option, but my heart of course would much rather have me sit on a lufty bird! Times sure are changing and maybe some People Need to wake up!

cougar15
Topic Author

Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Just heard that AB are in negotiations with Southwest for the last Batch of 737-700´s they still have! does anybody know how many that is?

theearlybird

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:20 am

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 17):
Just heard that AB are in negotiations with Southwest for the last Batch of 737-700´s they still have! does anybody know how many that is?

That´s only four on the AB AOC. D-AGEC, D-ABLA, D-ABLC and D-ABLD with D-AGEC changing over to Tuifly´s AOC shortly. Is it possible it´s more about 738s as they will leave within the next two years in order to create an all A319/320/321 narrowbody fleet?

r2rho

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:39 am

Night flying at CGN will become significantly more expensive - 50-55% more than a daytime flight for an A319 or 738 (the most used a/c types there). This was one of the demands of the green party in the regional govt, and can actually be considered good news/lesser evil as their original intentions were a complete curfew. Even then, IMO this will only keep them happy for a couple of years, before the debate on a curfew is brought up again.

article in German
http://www.airliners.de/passagier-na...tfluege-flughafen-koeln-bonn/33925

777way

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Biman Bangladesh and Malaysia Airlines are planning to quit FRA, infact Biman might stop flying there from next week.

PanHAM

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Victims of the ME3 rather than LH or FRA. All these carriers who are competing with 3 5th freedom carriers will face even harder times in the future.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

cougar15
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Quoting r2rho (Reply 19):
Night flying at CGN will become significantly more expensive - 50-55% more than a daytime flight for an A319 or 738 (the most used a/c types there). This was one of the demands of the green party in the regional govt, and can actually be considered good news/lesser evil as their original intentions were a complete curfew. Even then, IMO this will only keep them happy for a couple of years, before the debate on a curfew is brought up again.

this is an interesting one, does CGN really need night Pax flights? Is it not a fair tradeoff, given the vast UPS and ever increasing Fedex operations? They have a unique Position in the freight market, should they not be able to prosper from that & restrict Pax operations, DUS does fine with the curefew! Dont get me wrong, I live right bang smack in the Approach path to 32 and sleep with an open window every night, be it summer or winter, the noise has never bothered me, infact I have a bit of a laugh in bed guessing if that is an RB211 or a CF6 I am listening to (although the MD11´s are starting to get a bit noisy).
Would it kill CGN not to have so much Pax traffic during the night, I dont believe so?l

PanHAM

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:37 pm

DUS does fine with the curfew 1) because based aircraft can land until midnight and 2) because they have CGN nearby.

There is no full passenger operation during the night except when the summer vacation starts at the Ford Assembly plant, when there are about 25 flights to Turkey. But airlines need to fly Canary islands and Mediterranean destination allowing 2 round trips per day and that is impossibe without starting at 4 am and getting home at 1 am, besides, the German "legal night (for Schlafmuetzen) is from 22h00 to 06h00 am. If that ever comes true in Germany we can stop aviation here.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

777way

Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Mahan Air are launching MUC from 28 October, it was rumored Germania were also planning Tehran from Dusseldorf in winter.

cougar15
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 24):
Mahan Air are launching MUC from 28 October, it was rumored Germania were also planning Tehran from Dusseldorf in winter.

Good on Mahan, it makes perfect sence for them, heck - I enjoy seeing IR birds at my local Airport all the time, the A310 last week at CGN was obviously fully boooked , looking at the cues I saw at security!
Now if only the saction Regimes gave them a fair Chance to get some new equiptemt, it is tragic that the Iranian popolus has suffered so many bad crashes as a result! so I guess Al Naser getting those 4 A346´s!

On Germania, an interesting route choice, but in line with this Airlines strategy I guess - they ussually go for markets that are not yet flooded, and - at least over the past few years - quite successfully , lets hope it happens and I wish them best of luck!

Luftfahrer

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Quoting theearlybird (Reply 14):

That is exciting to know, thanks for the information. AB must have high hopes in the success of this route. The retrofitting brings up some questions though, like what they are going to do if the aircraft becomes tech or the route turns out to be economically unviable. Will they be getting the most out of aircraft utilization already or is there any chance we might see D-ABNJ on other routes, which would possibly make some topbonus members very happy?

[Edited 2014-10-23 11:44:48]
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

theearlybird

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:07 am

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 26):
is there any chance we might see D-ABNJ on other routes,

Highly unlikely as groundtime in STR is from 0655h to 1030h only so there won´t fit any more flights in between from STR. Groundtime at AUH in turn will be seven hours, so that´s where maintenance will be done.

uberflieger

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 am

Airberlin is celebrating 25 years of 'Mauerfall' with 3 sightseeing flights   
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...rks-fall-of-the-wall-with-special-
Very  

r2rho

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 am

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 22):
this is an interesting one, does CGN really need night Pax flights?

I see it the other way around: why punish a handful of night flights which are negligible in the grand noise scheme, yet provide a useful choice for airlines and passengers? This is just politicians wanting to score "green points".

cougar15
Topic Author

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 pm

News today, LH (Cityline) dumping the CRJ7 today, not unexpected I guess?

r2rho

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:15 am

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 30):
LH (Cityline) dumping the CRJ7 today, not unexpected I guess?

I thought they were all already gone by now? What intrigues me more is what will happen to the CR9's under the new Eurowings concept. If they are retired as well, will the E915 be the smallest aircraft operated at LH? What will happen to DUS, HAM, etc... will they lose regional jet service and thus destinations? Not all routes can fill a 4U A319...

uberflieger

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:45 am

FRA T2 celebrating 20 years      
http://www.airport-world.com/news/ge...t-celebrates-20th-anniversary.html
Having just flown out of there again, and numerous times before, I'm always struck by the ease and serenity compared to T1.   

uberflieger

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:15 am

Flybe cancels Hamburg start-up.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/business/11558774._/
A little too short notice, don't you think?   

benjjk

Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:45 am

Well I for one am looking forward to this thread! I am an Australian with German heritage so even though I have only ever spent one week in the country, it has always felt to me like another home. With any luck my future will involve a lot more time over there.

It is with bemusement whenever I hear about the catastrophe that is BER. But can anyone provide for me the actual details of what has gone wrong? I know there was 'construction problems', particularly with the fire systems. But I cannot comprehend what could have caused a delay of four years (and counting), and even some suggestions that it could be better tearing it down and starting again? I would be grateful if anyone could elaborate on what went wrong!

PanHAM

Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:57 am

There have been many threads about BER and even news like that the former CEO Mr. Schwartz, who was sacked by that famous supervisory board, won a court case and can now hope for 1 miliion € in back pay, do not spark any reaction here any more.

What went wrong in BER? Politics took over and screwed up. Legends, lullabies and lies have been created since and Berlin still stands a good chance that it may bec ome known as the first capital it's size in the world which can be reached by land access only. That is remarkable for a city who's western part could be safely reached by air only up until 1989
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

cougar15
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Quoting benjjk (Reply 34):
Well I for one am looking forward to this thread! I am an Australian with German heritage so even though I have only ever spent one week in the country, it has always felt to me like another home. With any luck my future will involve a lot more time over there.

Welcome to the Club mate! I can´t for the life of me why the ´german threads´ are sooo difficult to keep alive, the previous ones quickly died again, even with high Profile thread Starters like Wilco737 starting it! Lets hope we can Keep this one alive, there is so much aviation related stuff to talk about in DE! but I see some high Quality Posters so fingers crossed!!

cheers Mark

benjjk

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 35):

I have seen many threads on the topic but few seem to contain actual examples of the technical failures which are keeping the place from opening.

When it finally opens it will become a fascinating case study of how to NOT build infrastructure.

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 36):

I'm with you, and I look forward to seeing which arrives first - German Av #100 or BER opening day!

PanHAM

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:39 am

The smoke ventilation system is still the main issue, as long as they do not get this approved by the county authority located some 90 km from the site BER won't open.

Besides that, the answer is simple, get a judge to sign a restraint order for high level politicians to stay clear of a construcion site and forbid them to interfere in any other way and all is OK.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

MD80

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:06 am

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 36):
I can´t for the life of me why the ´german threads´ are sooo difficult to keep alive, the previous ones quickly died again, even with high Profile thread Starters like Wilco737 starting it!

At least the German members in this forum could be assured that there won´t be bashing from fellow members or a group of moderators for critical views regarding Lufthansa or the lack of A380-orders.   

glidepath73

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:39 am

It seems LH has absorbed the costs of all those strikes.
Aero.de reports strike costs of 170 mio Euro.
LH has earned 849 mio Euro this year so far. 23% more as last year.

http://www.aero.de/news-20595/Luftha...---Streiks-bislang-verkraftet.html

Greetz,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

uberflieger

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Servus beieinander  
with some great news from Iberia Express for HAJ & STR.
http://www.anna.aero/2014/10/29/iber...-express-shoot-start-german-routes
Looks like Iberia is on the move again in Deutschland   

seahawk

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Bad for AB. Many holiday operators are already booking their packages with IB.

HFW

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Ryanair flying from Hamburg now...I mean the real Hamburg HAM not LBC  http://www.airport.de/de/pressearchiv_2008_6990.html

uberflieger

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 42):
Bad for AB

What's really bad for Airberlin is Lufti's moves @ DUS
http://www.incentivetravel.co.uk/new...inations-on-offer-from-duesseldorf
AB definitely has their work cut out   

r2rho

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 41):
with some great news from Iberia Express for HAJ & STR.

A good move IMO - both IB And Vy can gain a lot by serving "secondary" destinations (regarding the LH network) in Germany.

Quoting HFW (Reply 43):
Ryanair flying from Hamburg now...I mean the real Hamburg HAM not LBC http://www.airport.de/de/pressearchiv_2008_6990.html

It's a shame they abandoned LBC, it was not bad for a FR airport and well connected to Hamburg and surroundings. I hope the airport can survive as Hamburg will need it for growth in the long term; HAM is a very space-restricted city airport.

PanHAM

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 pm

They have abandoned the plans for Kaltenkichen as a replacement for Fuhlsbuettel which may turn out as a mistake.

Kaltenkirchen was in the planning with zoning and land acquisition some 40 years ago. They might have waited another 20 years as well....Only alternative now would be Parchim. Someone should act before that gets closed down as well.

After all, the worst case szenario would be that HAM gets the summer plympics and Fuhlsbuettel would have to cope with some 400 biz jest on the opening and final days. That would be a melt down.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

InsideMan

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 am

maybe XFW can handle some of that traffic?  

PanHAM

Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 pm

yes, may be, but it is not a general airfield, as the X says it has a special status and is de facto an industrial airport. I am not up to date about the current limitations, but the ops, if that happens, should not reduce the quota of flights.

Alternatives are dropping the pax at HAM and flying the aircraft for parking at Nordholz/Cuxhaven or Parchim or even hanover.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

r2rho

Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:23 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 46):
worst case szenario would be that HAM gets the summer plympics and Fuhlsbuettel would have to cope with some 400 biz jest on the opening and final days. That would be a melt down.

This was already the case during the Europa League final in 2010, which is a much smaller event than the Olympics. The Mayor of Madrid didn't make it to the game because of that. And that despite the very exceptional decision to cancel the curfew on that day so that fans could return after the game.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 48):
is de facto an industrial airport. I am not up to date about the current limitations, but the ops, if that happens, should not reduce the quota of flights.

It is indeed an industrial airport + a bit of general aviation (there is a small flight school there IIRC), and has a strict curfew (no flights after 8pm AFAIK), so not much of an option, unless it gets a special permit in the case of a major event.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 46):
They have abandoned the plans for Kaltenkichen as a replacement for Fuhlsbuettel which may turn out as a mistake

Agree. Although HAM will manage in the short to mid term, in the long term cancelling Kaltenkirchen will certainly prove itself a mistake, as it was the only serious growth option available.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos