Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

psa1011

RE: WN Biggest Schedule Change Ever Coming Nov 10th.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 148):
Help me with how a station that has added about 7 routes in the past 3 years and has a basically flat flight count (seats/ASMs are up) is being "diminished" in the WN network.

While flight count may have remained unchanged, I'd say it's a blow to a city to lose their only nonstop to both Northern California (Bay Area) and the entire Pacific Northwest. Ability to access all parts of the country from a city would, I am sure, be useful to many in Nashville.

illinoisman

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:41 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 95):
Saturday-only SAN-MKE nonstop starts with this new schedule.

This is good news, assuming you want to go to SAN on Saturday AND you want to fly WN. WN should increase the frequency on the route to daily I would like to see nonstops from MKE to DAL, PHL, HOU, and BNA.

iowaman

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:09 am

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 147):
Although the 1x daily BWI-OAK starts January 6th, and given it's January start, it doesn't appear to be just seasonal

~118 miles longer than BWI-LAX, making it the longest Southwest flight based on mileage. The flight westbound in January is blocked at 6 hours, 15 minutes.

[Edited 2014-11-11 17:10:56]

knope2001

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:26 am

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 140):
Will this service be seasonal or year round?

I don't think it's been announced, but I would expect it to be seasonal. This Saturday-only addition in the current schedule (early April - early June) does not include summer peak. I could see this operating daily during summer, though I don't know that it will rate high enough to justify daily service given the relatively tight fleet. Given that SAN-STL does not operate at all during the off-season I wouldn't be surprised to see MKE-SAN not operate year-round, even weekly.

SANFan

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:31 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 148):
Help me with how a station that has added about 7 routes in the past 3 years and has a basically flat flight count (seats/ASMs are up) is being "diminished" in the WN network.

I said "perhaps" and that's by looking at the route map. I have not kept track of flight counts or routes at BNA but apparently you have and that's what I like to hear about. Incidentally, since I asked that question, someone posted that SEA-BNA might very well return seasonally. Perhaps a Bay Area-BNA flight could also appear next June.

Over that 3-year span and 7 added routes you spoke of, have there been any axed ones? Or routes that have gone seasonal? (I'm not trying to argue, I'm just asking.)

And btw, the flight count "remaining flat" might be considered by some as 'diminished' when relatively compared to other stations that are growing and adding significant numbers of flights.

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 150):
While flight count may have remained unchanged, I'd say it's a blow to a city to lose their only nonstop to both Northern California (Bay Area) and the entire Pacific Northwest.

You beat me to it; this is what I based my suggestion on.

bb

lat41

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:56 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 25):
Note that LF is not the only grade of success

Freight and mail sometimes make the flight turn a profit especially on flights that sometimes don't appear too full. I recall a flight attendant years ago, on a BOS BDA flight saying that "what's below the floor besides your bags sometimes makes up the difference" on this run.

SANFan

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:32 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 153):
I would expect it to be seasonal. This Saturday-only addition in the current schedule

When WN starting do the Sat-only flights a few years ago, there was debate as to whether they were actually "test" flights to see if a route was likely to be viable, or if they were just "weird" things that schedule planning came up with to use a plane creatively on Saturdays. Or maybe they were routes that WN really felt only needed one flight a week. Or whatever.

SAN has not had one of these for a long time except for STL which sometimes kicks in for a schedule or 2 before or after the daily peak-season run of the flight. (And like everything surrounding SAN-STL on WN, I have no idea what the purpose of a Sat-only flight in the market for a few months of the year is except as a reminder that WN does serve the route!)

I do know that back when they started Sat-only flights, SAN had a few and they all became year-round and permanent except SLC which never took hold. So if SAN-MKE is a being 'tested', hopefully it will pass!

Oh and the other question to me remains: if the flight is seasonal, what exactly is the season? How is that determined when, as I posted earlier, the PDEW is a very consistent ~100+ year-round, yet the slightly larger numbers -- a bit above 100 -- appear in Q3 and Q4. There are obviously factors beyond expected PDEW that determine a flight's frequency and seasonality, such as what else can the plane be used for, but that's for WN to know and for me, well, not to!

bb

Cubsrule

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:02 am

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 150):
Ability to access all parts of the country from a city would, I am sure, be useful to many in Nashville.

Okay, but I'd rather have nonstops to nearby business destinations than a single daily nonstop to some west coast city when I have a plethora of connecting (and, on WN, thru) options.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 154):
Over that 3-year span and 7 added routes you spoke of, have there been any axed ones? Or routes that have gone seasonal? (I'm not trying to argue, I'm just asking.)

I am not looking up exact dates so may be a little off on whether these are within three years, but I think this list of cities is right:

Adds: BOS, DAL, DCA, ECP, EWR, LGA, PIT, PNS

New routes for BNA were BOS (saw seasonal OH service in the 2006-2007 timeframe and AA in the 80s and 90s), DAL (not served since deregulation), ECP (PFN was served by AA in the early 90s), PIT (had US* until the last round of AX cuts in 2006 or 2007) and PNS (served by AA until about 1995).

Drops: BDL (was seasonal toward the end but IIRC had been year-round), BHM, ORF

I am not counting seasonal routes that still come and go but where the season might have changed such as RSW and SEA.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:18 am

Quoting RunningOnEmpty (Reply 124):
They only serve the -800 on one direction of the flight. How can they expect to fill up the planes with such a capacity discretion like that.

It's a capacity difference of 32 seats. And many routes have different load factors going in each direction. If they have more people going TO Palm Beach than they have coming to Islip, then the extra seats are warranted.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos